Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alans???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alans???
    Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 19:10

So, Portogeese is Iranian country

And I got those words from Lev Gumilyov-Russian researcher-historians book,

And also those words are in Orhon stones

Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 08:43

Originally posted by Rakhsh

What an interesting topic, well I do not consider Alans Turks, my great great grandfather came from Ossetia and he came to Iran During the Russo-Persian wars, when Cathrine the great took northern Caucas regions and Iranians took it back, etc etc so they fleed the war and the other males fought but hay in the End we are what we want to be. I am Iranian, not Turkish or Russian........

My greetings to you, brother! Some of my relatives also emigrated during Bolshevik revolution. I really don't know where the idea of Turkic Alans came from. I think it was idea from professor Zakiev (in http://www.turkicworld.org/ ) and professor Miziev. I have read their articles and found quite doubtful arguments.
1. Zelenchuk inscription. Zakiev denies it to be Ossetic with no reason, but his Turkic translation does not have common points with text and it seems odd. However Digor Ossetic translation is an exact match.
2. Miziev says "Georgians called "osi" Karachaians. Georgians know better who are "osi". That sounds just stupid.
3. The both have not given suggestions where the Ossetians are from, if Alans were Turks. They don't care, but we do.
4. Other Turkic historians of Turkish, Kazah or Tatar origin do not know much about history of Caucasia, last stronghold of Alans. They just make references to those ones.

Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 08:45
Originally posted by Anbalan

What an interesting topic, well I do not consider Alans Turks, my great great grandfather came from Ossetia and he came to Iran During the Russo-Persian wars, when Cathrine the great took northern Caucas regions and Iranians took it back, etc etc so they fleed the war and the other males fought but hay in the End we are what we want to be. I am Iranian, not Turkish or Russian........

My greetings to you, brother! Some of my relatives also emigrated during Bolshevik revolution. I really don't know where the idea of Turkic Alans came from. I think it was idea from professor Zakiev (in http://www.turkicworld.org/ ) and professor Miziev. I have read their articles and found quite doubtful arguments.
1. Zelenchuk inscription. Zakiev denies it to be Ossetic with no reason, but his Turkic translation does not have common points with text and it seems odd. However Digor Ossetic translation is an exact match.
2. Miziev says "Georgians called "osi" Karachaians. That sounds just stupid. Georgians know better whom they call "osi".
3. The both have not given suggestions where the Ossetians are from, if Alans were Turks. They don't care, but we do.
4. Other Turkic historians of Turkish, Kazah or Tatar origin do not know much about history of Caucasia, last stronghold of Alans. They just make references to those ones.

Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 09:31
Alans had different names: Alan, As, Asi, Asiag, Az, A-su, O(v)s, Yas, Jsz and some strange ones: Burtas, Kengeres, Lanikas, Asdigor.
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 12:39
Originally posted by Janissary

And I got those words from Lev Gumilyov-Russian researcher-historians book,

Does Lev Gumilyov  say why he thinks those words were part of the Hunnnish languge (nb European Huns, not Xiongnu)?    I ask because I was not aware of any known Hunnic words other than people/place names.

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 13:01
Am I glad I found this thread, so I can say a few words about the Alans and everybody's favourite Germanic tribe, the Vandals.
Somehow, I find the symbiotic relationship between those two tribes with very different ethnic backgrounds quite remarkable.
Having come in contact around 400 AD, the Western Alans and the Vandals formed what we would call in German a "Schicksalgemeinschaft", a partnership born out of the fate that befell them, namely the advancing and unstoppable Huns. From then on they became inseperable, moving further westwards through Europe, living and fighting their way into Spain and from there, in one of greatest logistic undertakings in Medieval history, setting over to Africa to found a shortlived Kingdom and to go down together.
Great stuff for legends.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 13:06

Originally posted by Nagyfejedelem

Alans had different names: Alan, As, Asi, Asiag, Az, A-su, O(v)s, Yas, Jsz and some strange ones: Burtas, Kengeres, Lanikas, Asdigor.

Most names, I think, are related to "as". As, Asi, Asiag, Yasz - probably are derived from "as". Asiag - is a person who lives in country of "Asi" in Ossetic (Iron) language. Asdigor - are As-Digor, where Digor is particular Ossetian tribe, a part of "Asi" nation. Digors say they are from country of Asi. It also might be Digor was a Caucasus local tribe assimilated by Alans (Asi). Ovs and Os (Osi) are actually different names. Historically Georgians confused Alans (Asi) with Ovsures, a tribe lived in Darial Gorge (Gates of Alans). Later the Ovsures were assimilated by Ossetians (Osi, i.e. Asi). As the two names sound almost the same, it was maybe reason for confusion. I cannot tell anything about the other names you listed.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:04

The following by Dr Kaveh Farrokh, himself an Ossetian (Alan). 

Anbalan, it gives a little information on Alans in Iran (Kurdistan), : "Ard-Alan"

Pan-Turanian activists simply state that all peoples who have ever existed in Central Asia, and the Steppes of Russia and the Ukraine have always been Turkish. With this simple and blanket statement, all ancient non-Turkic steppe peoples such as the ancient Cimmerians, Scythians/Saka, Sarmatians and Alans have been retroactively Turkified. The Scythians/Saka are now taught as having been among the early Turks and that Queen Tomeris (Georgian Tamar; European Tamara) was a Turkish warrior queen. These theories also form part of the overall claim to many parts of Russia and Ukraine as being part of the greater Turan.

Russian, Ukrainian, Polish and western scholars have overwhelmingly rejected these theories: modern scholarship overwhelmingly attests to the Iranian origin of the aforementioned peoples. The fact that Northern Iranian peoples spoke Iranian languages is as evident as the ancient Athenians having spoken Greek. The descendants of the North Iranian peoples, the Ossetians (see National Geographic photos below), speak an old North Iranian language (Ir-On and Digor) related to Persian and Kurdish. Turkish has no linguistic connection to modern Ossetian.

Alans-A Alans-B]

Ossetian is a term of Russian and Georgian origin. The Ossetians refer to themselves as Ir-On a variation of the term Ir-An (land of Aryans). Ir and/or Eire are the old Iranic, Indic and Celtic designations of Aryan (Noble, Lord). Ossetian historians, who acknowledge their Iranian heritage, explain their migration to Northern Georgia as a tactic of survival in the face of multitudes of Turkish, Hun and Mongol conquests that rummaged across Eurasia over the centuries.

Many of these Northern Iranians escaped and/or migrated to Persia and Europe to avoid annihilation or extermination at the hands of Turkic, Hun and Mongol invaders over the centuries. Their descendants live in Iranian Kurdistan (known formerly as Ard-Alan), Luristan (Sak-Vand) and Seistan (Saka-istan). None speak any Turkic languages or bear any affinities to Asiatic Turkic peoples. The aforementioned Persian Shahnama epic of Firdowsi recalls the Northern Iranian legends, and the desperate battles fought against the Turkic-Hun-Mongol invaders.

The original Turkic invaders were Asiatic, very similar to the Uralo-Altaic inhabitants of modern Korea, Northern China, and Japan (see Barnes in references and Part II, item 7). In contrast to the ancient Turks, The Northern Iranians (see reconstruction by Angus McBride Below see Newark in references) are described by western scholars as follows:

Scythians and Sarmatians were of Iranian origin

[John Channon & Robert Hudson, Penguin Historical Atlas of Russia, 1995, p.18 see references]

Indo-European in appearance and spoke an Iranian tongue which bought them more closely to the Medes and Persians

[Tim Newark, Barbarians, 1998, p.6 see references]

The Sarmatiansspoke an Iranian language similar to that of the Scythians and closely related to Persian

[Richard Mariusz & Richard Mielczarek, The Sarmatians: 600 BC-450 AD, 2002, p.3 -see References]

Saka

Western scholars examining the anthropology, archaeology and linguistics of the Scythians/Saka, Sarmatians and Alans have long since determined their membership as being firmly within the Iranian family (see Abaev, Bachrach, Brzezinski, & Mielczarek, Melyukova, Sulimirski in References). The late professor of Sarmatian and Alan studies, Tadeusz Sulimirski (1898-1983) stated that the Northern Iranians were:

of Indo-European stock belonging tothe Iranian group, often called the Scythian group of peoplesthey were akin to the ancient Medes, Parthians and Persians. Their language was related to that of the Avesta

[Tadesuz Sulimirski, The Sarmatians, London: Thames & Hudson, 1970, p.22]

The Avesta is used in Zoroastrian prayers, and is the ancestor of modern Ossetian. The river names, Don, Donets, Dnieper and Dniester are all of Iranian origin (see P.J. Mallory in References Mallorys map on p. 78 shown below):

Don/Danu = Water, River

Dnieper [Dana Apara] = the upper (old North Iranic = Apara) River

Dniester [Danu Nazdaya] = the near (old North Iranic = Nazdaya Persian Nazdeek) River

The closest relative to the Iranic Don/Danu is the Celtic Danuvius, whose modern name is known as the Danube in Western Europe. Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius also settled Sarmatian warriors in Britain (e.g. modern Chester), where their Iranian mythology and culture appears to have influenced much of the local Celtic folklore (see Littleton & Malcor and Rankin in References).

Map Alan

Many Iranian words can be found in Slavic languages; either because they are both of the Satem branch of Indo-European languages or because of a long period of Iranic ascendancy on the steppes (see Gamkrelidze & Ivanov in References). Persian style words persist in many Slavic languages; examples include Mokry (wet) and Bogh (God). Much of the Slavic counting system is similar to modern Persian:

Slavic

Iranian

English

Dva

Do

Two

Chetyeri

Chahar

Four

Pianja

Panj

Five

Shest

Shesh

Six

Sot/Sotka

Sat/Sadh

Hundred

Perhaps of greatest importance is the role of the Northern Iranians as one of the three Aryan founding peoples of the Achaemenid Persian Empire. Scythians are the only peoples, besides the Medes and the Persians who were allowed to carry ceremonial daggers at Persepolis note the photo of a Saka Tighrakhauda (pointed-hat Scythian) with a Mede (see Pyankov and Vogelsang in References photo in Farrokh, p.4, see references): 

Saka Mede

Of equal importance is the Northern Iranian role in transmitting much of the arts, culture and architecture of Persia to both Europe, and the Far East, particularly to the Chinese and the Uralo-Altaic ancestors of the Turks and Koreans (Hsiang-Nou, Tueh-Chi, etc.). The oldest Persian carpet has been found in Pazyryk (see photo below) the woman most likely represents an early representation of the Iranian goddess of fertility (Anahita or Tabid-Vesta)

http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveDec05/AzarbayeganPart1.ht ml

Edited by Zagros
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:22

nice article tough.

Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 15:10

Anbalan:

I wrote somewhere that Georgians used Os instead of As and 'ethi' is a Georgian word and means 'land'.

Perhaps some Alan groups assimilated into the Huns, but Huns were the first Turkish empire in Europe and Alans lived in there before them. So, Alans had the last Iranian empire in the Eastern European steppe. Many years laters Ossetians had a relation with the Turkish-speaker Balkars. Balkars lived in an Alan territory (Asi) so they were called after that Asiags.

Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 15:41

Anbalan:

I wrote somewhere that Georgians used Os instead of As and 'ethi' is a Georgian word and means 'land'.

Perhaps some Alan groups assimilated into the Huns, but Huns were the first Turkish empire in Europe and Alans lived in there before them. So, Alans had the last Iranian empire in the Eastern European steppe. Many years laters Ossetians had a relation with the Turkish-speaker Balkars. Balkars lived in an Alan territory (Asi) so they were called after that Asiags.

I think it is correct. There are some interesting details. Balkars very closely related to Digor Ossetians. Digors call Balkaria "Asi" and Balkarians are "Asson". Iron Ossetians call Balkarians "Asiag". The difference between "on" and "ag" is that "on" is for very closely related groups of people. So I think it means Iron Ossetians never considered Balkars to be close, but Digors did. Digorian older people say their genders came from land of "Asi", but they think it was Balkarija always and they think their ancestors were Balkarians.  But they do not know why languages are different.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 16:20

Originally posted by Komnenos

Am I glad I found this thread, so I can say a few words about the Alans and everybody's favourite Germanic tribe, the Vandals.
Somehow, I find the symbiotic relationship between those two tribes with very different ethnic backgrounds quite remarkable.
Having come in contact around 400 AD, the Western Alans and the Vandals formed what we would call in German a "Schicksalgemeinschaft", a partnership born out of the fate that befell them, namely the advancing and unstoppable Huns. From then on they became inseperable, moving further westwards through Europe, living and fighting their way into Spain and from there, in one of greatest logistic undertakings in Medieval history, setting over to Africa to found a shortlived Kingdom and to go down together.
Great stuff for legends.

As i mentioned previously, the Alans were slaughtered as a whole by the Vandals in Spain, before the Vandals set over to Africa.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 17:09
Originally posted by Temujin

Am I glad I found this thread, so I can say a few words about the Alans and everybody's favourite Germanic tribe, the Vandals. Somehow, I find the symbiotic relationship between those two tribes with very different ethnic backgrounds quite remarkable. Having come in contact around 400 AD, the Western Alans and the Vandals formed what we would call in German a "Schicksalgemeinschaft", a partnership born out of the fate that befell them, namely the advancing and unstoppable Huns. From then on they became inseperable, moving further westwards through Europe, living and fighting their way into Spain and from there, in one of greatest logistic undertakings in Medieval history, setting over to Africa to found a shortlived Kingdom and to go down together. Great stuff for legends.

As i mentioned previously, the Alans were slaughtered as a whole by the Vandals in Spain, before the Vandals set over to Africa.

Then you were completely wrong twice.

The Alans and the Vandals remained best of friends till the bitter end.

The Alans that had settled in in the Iberian peninsula were kind of decimated by the Visigoths that pushed the Vandals and Alans south and finally over to Africa. The surviving Alans went with the Vandals to establish their kingdom in Northern Africa. After the death of their last king in Spain, the title was offered by the Alans to the Vandal king, Gaiseric's predecessor who after that called himself "King of the Vandals and Alans".

Edited by Komnenos
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 04:57
Originally posted by Anbalan

2. Miziev says "Georgians called "osi" Karachaians. Georgians know better who are "osi". That sounds just stupid.

Hay brother  I have always been fascinated with this part of my history, often I drink with my Russian friends and they talk about how they defeated the Germans I talk about how my family have fought the Russians for almost 150 years  I think this whole movement to call Alans Turks is part of this movement of Pan Turanaism that is sweeping across the land threating our common Histories and trying to claim our achievements and glory as thiers. http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveDec05/AINTRODUCTION.HTML

Check this link out it will tell you all about Pan-Turanism

Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 05:06

Great stuff for legends.

dude sorry but your wrong on that note
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 11:10

Komnenos:

Justinianus also had the title of 'King of Vandals and Alans' after 534. So this title survived the Vandals, too.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 12:57

Komnenos/P]

Justinianusalso had the title of 'King of Vandals and Alans' after 534. So this title survived the Vandals, too.

I suppose he took the title after The Vandal Kingdom was destroyed by Belisarius. Common practise for rulers to take on the crowns of countries they had conquered. As the current Habsburg pretender, Otto von H. AFAIK, is the titular Byzantine Emperor, maybe he is also the King of the Vandals and Alans.
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 13:19

Hay brother  I have always been fascinated with this part of my history, often I drink with my Russian friends and they talk about how they defeated the Germans I talk about how my family have fought the Russians for almost 150 years  

My gender, Guluta, believe they are descendents from Gulu (Kulu), one of two brothers died fighting Tamerlan. Those two brothers, Gulu and Tauas, had fortresses in mountains in Balkaria (near Elbrus mount). The both genders (Guluta and Tauasta) consider themselves as brothers even now. My grandma, mother of my father, is from "aldars". Aldars were kind of kings. They fought Russians but they were defeated and later they served tsars and made good military career. My grand grandpa was a colonel and he fought Japanese in Manchuria in 1905 and was granted the Georgian Cross (the top medal) and silver sword from the tsar Nicolas. He fought Turks in Armenia in WW-I. When revolution started he fought communists. Most Ossetians were on tsar side, but they lost civil war and they had to emigrate. Brothers of my grandma escaped to Turkey and they served Turkish army. During international war they fought Turks as enemies, they killed many Turkish soldiers, but they were accepted with great honor as good and loyal warriors. I heard from grandma they made good military career in Turkey, but I do not know anybody of their grandchildren. Sisters were married and they stayed in Ossetia.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:51

but there recently was a documentary thats howed how Gaiseric betrayed the Alans who were supposed to ally with Suebs in NW Iberia an slaughtered them wholly, and only then took over the title king of Vandals and Alans, and frankly, it wouldn't make sense at all the Alans would designate Gaiseric their king.

a Tunisian archaelogist was looking for traces of Vandals culture in todays norhtern africa, she did indeed found Vandals but no signs of alans were to eb found.s econdly, after the reconquest fo the west, no mention was given of the Alans. fact is, Alans never made it to Africa.

Edited by Temujin
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 15:31

a Tunisian archaelogist was looking for traces of Vandals culture in todays norhtern africa, she did indeed found Vandals but no signs of alans were to eb found.s econdly, after the reconquest fo the west, no mention was given of the Alans. fact is, Alans never made it to Africa.

How would he distinguish Alans from Vandals? There are very few descriptive features of the both tribes, as I understood.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>