Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alans???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alans???
    Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 15:45
Okay, as you know, I'm on a crusade to clear the Vandals name and restore their reputation, so the matter of the relationship between Vandals and Alans is close to my heart.
I've looked everywhere now, books and net, and there isn't a single source that mentions that the Alans fell victim to the Vandals on the Iberian peninsula. In fact there is universal agreement, that there wasn't a single conflict between the two tribes ever since they left Pannonia together in 400 AD.
And more, every source states that the last Western-Alan King Attaces fell in battle against the Visigoths in 426, two years before Gaiseric's accession btw., together with a large part of his tribe, and that the few remaining Alans sought refuge with the Vandals, offered their leader Gunderic their crown and virtually merged, voluntarily and peacefully with their Germanic friends.
After their common transit to North-Africa, distinctive Alan cultural elements disappeared as the Vandals were, for simple numerical reasons, the dominant element of their partnership.
There is hardly a mystery about all this.
That's the common denominator of all sources I could find, but I would be grateful, if you could provide some alternative ones that would shed a different light on the whole topic.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 14:22

Originally posted by Komnenos

After their common transit to North-Africa, distinctive Alan cultural elements disappeared as the Vandals were, for simple numerical reasons, the dominant element of their partnership.

are you kidding me? normal is that two cultures merge, look at India (Ordu language, mixture of Turko-Persian words an Hindu grammar). the complete dissapearing of one culture under another leads only to one conclusion...

and what the hel is this Vandals crusade about anyways? in my opinion Vandals reputation is well deserved and i don't see any reason to debunk any myths. don't forget that todays history books are more or less based on the opinion and research of 19th century nationalists historians, thats why Charlemagne the Butcher is a hero in France and Germany.

Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 04:31
Yeah, how do you explain Charlemagne?
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 07:00
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Komnenos

are you kidding me? normal is that two cultures merge, look at India (Ordu language, mixture of Turko-Persian words an Hindu grammar). the complete dissapearing of one culture under another leads only to one conclusion...

and what the hel is this Vandals crusade about anyways? in my opinion Vandals reputation is well deserved and i don't see any reason to debunk any myths. don't forget that todays history books are more or less based on the opinion and research of 19th century nationalists historians, thats why Charlemagne the Butcher is a hero in France and Germany.

Turkish words??? Give an example please of Turkish words in Hindi langauge
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 10:18
He probably mentions the Babur Empire times, but I don't have further info.

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 12:30
I think their language was wholly Persian, even though they were Turkomen.
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 20:14

See I agree with you Zargos, I just want there claims of Turkish words and Turkism to have backing and not someone thinking it soo.

Since our Turkish cousins wish to claims things I want backing and also by non turkish sources too.

Sorry if I seem to be baiting I am not, I just want people to back things up.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 22:55

The Moghals of Babur's time spoke in Chagatay Turkish, prayed in Arabic and were literate in Persian. -Nicholas Osler, Empires of the Word.

Edited by Seko
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 00:22
Can you give me the link or source please Seko, thanks
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 08:13
I'm not sure about an internet link. The reference I provided is from the book I mentioned above.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 15:36

Originally posted by Rakhsh

I'm talking about Urdu, not Hindi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu_language

Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 00:43
I would recommend to read - Rene Grousset "The Empire of the Steppes - A History of Central Asia"  Rutgers University Press.
pp.72-79. The Huns in Europe: Attila.
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 11:54

Originally posted by Rakhsh

Take a look at this article. It says there are thousands of Turkic words in Indian....

CONTRIBUTION OF TURKIC LANGUAGES IN THE EVOLUTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF HINDUSTANI LANGUAGES

K.Gajendra Singh

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~malaiya/turkish.html

Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 13:02
My uncle had a very thick book - "Turkisms in Russian Language" - it had thousands and thousands of very widely used Russian words (origination of part of them were under question though).

Also there is a very interesting book, also in Russian - N.A.Baskakov "Russian Family Names (or Surnames) of Turkic Origin". Very many famous Russians have Turkic origin - their ancestors came from the Steppe to serve Russian Tzars, for example (from my memory): famous writers - Tolstoys clan, Turgenevs, Kuprin, Karamzin (historian), Artzybashev, military commanders - Kutuzov (who defeated Napoleon), Suvorov (who fought against Ottoman Turks, and also killed many Noghays, who did not earlier  join Kazakhs as part of Kishi Juz or Smaller horde - that was a real genocyde, very few of them survived hiding in Northern Caucasus), Ushakov (who destroyed Turkish navy),  Kolchak (hero of Civil War who fought against Bolsheviks in Urals and Siberia),  famous scientists - Beketov, Beklemishev, Timiryazev,  politicians - Arakcheyev,  and many many others, I just can't remember.  

Edited by Akskl
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 03:44

You forgot(or I missed it) that Serbs and Croats were also originally(or at least it's very possible) Alans-Ptolemy(or Pliny) mentions Serboi and Choroates near Caucasus.Now,I read in a different thread that ''Sorb'' means 'gray' in Persian,and that Alans wore gray.If u look at the medieval maps of Poland and east Germany u will find that Sorbi and Surpi are mentined a few times;arabian geographer from 10. century mentions Belochrobates(white Chroats) on Vistula(Poland).Aprox. at 7th century part of Serbs and Chroats settled in the Balkans;polish Croats(white Croats were absorbed by the Poles,and Sorbs(Lusatian Serbs or as the Germans call them-Wends)was conquered by the Germans in11. century,but they kept their identity until today-although  their numbers decreased.

I should mention that these Alans were assimilated by the Slavs-all that is left are their original names(majority of todays Serbs-and as I hear -Croats consider themselves Slavs).

Very interesting-Cyrus in original(Persian) is appaerently Kourosh,while Urosh is a very common name in Serbia(name of one of our kings).

Plese correct me if I made some errors(or if there's anything more to say on the subject).

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 06:11

Kurosh is Cyrus, you are right, the reason it is pronounced Cyrus (Syrus) is because of the Romans, who pronounced the C as S and the Greeks who coulldn't pronounce sh ().

Greek: Kyrus ; Anglo-Roman: Cyrus ; Iranian: Kurosh

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 07:51
There is a region in Kurdistan called Alan, does this have anything to do with the Alans?
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 10:42
Yes it does, the full name is Ardalan. ALans settled there.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:34
Yeah, that was also a emirate, Ardalan. Thanks for confirming by the way Zagros.

Edited by Cent
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 08:11

Originally posted by Zagros

Yes it does, the full name is Ardalan. ALans settled there.

By Armenian historical sources king Artashes, a Parthian ruler, married Alanian princess Satenik. It is also known that many Alans loyal to parents of Satenik were welcomed by Artashes and given some land to settle. They named the place as "Artas, the name of land where they came from". By another Armenian source the original land of Alans, located in North Caucasia on river Armna (Terek) bank called "Ardos" (Armenian Geography, 7AC). I see some connections between "Ardalan" and "Ardas" as Alans called themselves "As(i)". However it confuses me because I thought "Ardos" has meaning "meadow" as it is in modern Ossetic. However it might be another meaning from "Art" (fire) or "Ard" (oath). Where the place "Ardalan" is located? Could it be the same land mentioned as "Ardas" which was given to Alans by Artashes?

Edited by Anbalan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>