Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Historic Capitals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Historic Capitals
    Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 02:10
What city was the greatest in the Islamic world?

I think that Baghdad of the 8th to 13th centuries was the greatest capital the Islamic world had ever seen.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 02:26

I think that by the time the crusades were over Cairo would be quite a sight to behold.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 15:24
I would also like to mention Damascus
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 15:37

Isfahan!

Baghdad was just a great city in early Islamic period but Isfahan has been always one of the greatest cities, I think Friday Mosque of Isfahan shows the importance of this city during various Islamic periods, this mosque has been built in 1220 years by Abbasid Arabs, Saffarids, Buyids, Deylamids, Seljuk Turks, Atabegs, Mongols, Timurids, Ak Koyonlu Turkmens, Safavids, Afsharids and Qajars.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 16:26

Yes, I was thinking about Isfahan as well!

I think when it boils down to it. There are four great capitals in Islamic history depending on the time in history.

Baghdad

Isfahan

Cairo

Instanbul

Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 16:47
It depends if you're talking about medieval Islamic history or general, if about earlier then Istanbul/Constantinople was not muslim. Samarqand should not be forgotten after it fell to Islam.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 16:48
don't forget about Cordoba and Samarkand for the Eastern and westernmost holdings respectively...
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 06:38
And I think the greatest capital of the Islamic world was Tabriz, this city was capital 6 Great Islamic Empires, it was also the capital of Armenian Empire at the height of its power and Mongol Empire stretching from Egypt to the Oxus River and from the Caucasus to the Indian Ocean.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 09:30

My hometown, Istanbul (a.k.a. Dersaadet, Konstantiniyye, etc.) was a great Islamic capital as some members mentioned. Right after the Middle Ages, especially from the 16th century to the mid-17th, it was great in terms of power (ruling most of the Middle East, North Africa, Caucasus and Balkans) and beauty, among the greatest on the planet. In the 19th century it was beautiful too, after the construction on baroque/imperial style mosques and palaces, but its power declined, especially in comparison to the West.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 15:21
As for the capitals; Damascus, Baghdd, Cairo, Qurtuba, Ray, Isfahan, Istanbul, Delhi and Samarknd rank among the greatest.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2013 at 08:39
In Turkey, Islam and word "city"  meet in Konya, the capital of Seljuk Sultane of Rum

but in general I support Baghdad and Damascus. Istanbul, Cairo, Isfahan, Samarkand and Mecca weren't the great intermuslim cities

However Bagdad and Damascus were well-known with their cosmomuslim culture

Istanbul is so Turkic,
Isfahan is so Persian,
Cairo is so Egyptic...
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2013 at 09:24
dont forget about merv !!Tongue
yomud are free people
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2015 at 10:51
Damascus: capital of Umayyads
Merv: capital of seljuks
Isfahan: capital of seljuks and safavids
Samarkand: capital of Khwarazmids and Timurids
Tabriz: capital of Ilkhanate and Safaivds
Cairo: capital of Fatimids, Ayyubids, Mamluks
Herat: captial of Ghurids, Timurids
Urgench: former capital of Khwarazmids
Fez: capital of Almohads
Cordoba: capital of umayyads(of spain)
Konya(Iconium): capital of Rum Seljuks

I personally think Baghdad, Cairo were the greatest capitals of Medieval islamic world. Baghdad was the center of muslim world from 8th century to 1258, and after the destruction of Baghdad by the mongols Cairo became the head of the muslim world.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2018 at 23:51

Istanbul/Constantinople was the most cosmopolitan city in the world at the turn of the last century.
It was also the centre of the Sultans who retained the claim to being Caliphs.
(London was the largest city in the world.)

Depends on what mean by "greatest". The most venerated cities of Islam have always been Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem.

NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply