Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Balcan wars!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Balcan wars!!!!!!
    Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 14:57
It seems to me that the Balcan peninsula has been the most war-wealthy region threwout history if you can say it like that. Especially the 20th century has been bloody and horrific. My brain knows that there has been ethnic cleansing of muslims and that almost every nation there was at war with the other, but i am sure some of you dear forumers know the reasons of a certain nationalities there attacking the other and what has made them hate eachother so viciously. Is it the years of war.....??? Who has a grudge against who and when? Is it an after-effect of the Ottoman rule on the Balcans or the fault of the U.S.S.R.? It could be a long post to explain the entire peninsulas bloody history of the 20th century or atleast the events taken place after the collapse of the U.S.S.R., but do your best. The  entire thing in the Balcans is so mixed to me, do help me. 
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 15:38
They can't bloody forget about the past. Now and then some cra... ehm, person steps forward to lead his people to take revenge on something that happened 700 years ago. They'll never have peace continuing doing that.*

Sure, it's the duty of a Swede to make jokes and mock Finns and Norwegians and Danes (and vice versa), but it's just for the traditional fun of it - down there the neighbours really do seem to hate or dislike each other... The older living generations are probably lost causes, but the younger might learn some understanding if they start visiting and getting to know each other. Hopefully the internet can be used as a forum (however all inter-Balkan discussions I've seen turned into quite nasty affairs...).

*) terrible generalization, but that's the impression I've got speaking to people from the region/people who have served in the peace-keeping forces.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 17:04
I really must say southeastern EUrope is and has always been insane.  Maybe they are angry that they dont havemuch sucess compared to everyone else, and so take it out on each other (as they would be destroyed if they attacked anyone else and no one outside the Balkans really seems to care about what ghoes on there.)
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 18:07
I don't think it's cuz of that there's wars there. The whole thing started i think over who gets Kosovo or which country gets to claim it for there own, Im personally lost in the whole thing too, i dont think these problems existed during Times of Tito, I would like to know the whole story myself...more or less summarized cuz I know the whole story might take a couple of pages. The only way to make peace I think ,ii it is becuz of Kosovo, then they should just make Kosovo an independant little place.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 20:44
You all have good points.  To this I would add that the Balkans are a very rugged region, which tends to fragment ethnic groups, rather than allow them to settle in one place.  We have a similar situation in another place with a nasty reputation, Southeast Asia, where the dominant groups (Burmese, Vietnamese, Thais, Khmers, etc.) took the best land, namely the river valleys, while dozens of minority tribes are scattered through the jungles and mountains that make up most of the region.

The result is that there is no way to draw frontiers in the Balkans without having part of some ethnic group caught on the wrong side of the line.  In the case of Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito solved the problem by discriminating in favor of the non-Serbs.  Tito's Yugoslavia had Serbs in Bosnia and Croatia, but no Bosnians or Croats in Serbia.  It worked for his lifetime, anyway.

Perhaps a picture would explain it better.  Here is a map of showing the ethnic makeup of eastern Europe in 1914 (There have been changes in the 90 years since then, of course, but the problem's still there):

The different groups within the empire of Austria-Hungary (called "Osztrak-Magyar" here, it's a Hungarian-language map) are represented by these colors:
  • Germans = cobalt blue
  • Czechs = gold
  • Slovaks = tan
  • Poles = brown
  • Ukrainians = olive green
  • Magyars = red
  • Romanians = purple
  • Serbs = light orange
  • Croats and Bosnians = yellow
  • Slovenes = dark orange
  • Italians = dark blue (but only in the lower left, the dark blue spots in the upper right represent Jews)
Otto von Bismarck didn't live to see World War I, but he correctly guessed what would cause the next big war in Europe:  "Some damned foolish thing in the Balkans."
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:26
Yeah...that's pretty messy
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 15:09

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

It seems to me that the Balcan peninsula has been the most war-wealthy region threwout history if you can say it like that. Especially the 20th century has been bloody and horrific. My brain knows that there has been ethnic cleansing of muslims and that almost every nation there was at war with the other, but i am sure some of you dear forumers know the reasons of a certain nationalities there attacking the other and what has made them hate eachother so viciously. Is it the years of war.....??? Who has a grudge against who and when? Is it an after-effect of the Ottoman rule on the Balcans or the fault of the U.S.S.R.? It could be a long post to explain the entire peninsulas bloody history of the 20th century or atleast the events taken place after the collapse of the U.S.S.R., but do your best. The  entire thing in the Balcans is so mixed to me, do help me. 

Firstly,it should never be forgetten that The Balkan Peninsula is the backgarden of Europe..Who rules the Balkans who could threat Europe and Russia as well...

Therefore,this important area always have been a region to make horse run.

There has always been a prejudice,maybe dislike and mistrust  among communities in this region...As you know,during times of war,prejudices boom...and as if each nation had his eye on other soils...Just compare to first balkan war and the second to each other...In the first,everyone together fought against the Ottoman Empire..but 1 year later everyone including the Ottoman Empire   was fighting against the Bulgarians...see?

i can certainly assert that the real Ottoman rule was not seen in the 19.century..Ottoman forces spent their time chasing komitadjis from different nations on the balkan mountains..while leaving this region,we Turks really suffered a lot.The deportation of the Balkan Turks resulted in great pain ways..Maybe thats why noone could share the legacy of the ottoman empire as they wanted and the legacy of ottoman empire didnt make them happy!!!!

Your U.S.SR point is good...but it was not actually their fault..after an ideology ended,another one had to be found...and this time it was a hevay nationalism...

Also serbian memorandum of 1986 ..i think its social psychology effects can be considered in serious meanings...

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 16:09

The Croats, Serbs, Bosnians, Macedonians, Albanians, who hates who? Everyone of them would kill any other you think? Is there really such history behind all of them to make endless wars or did one war cause the next and the purposless hate never died? Is there, in the end, no final goal for the wars and do they fight eachother for the sole purpose of war itself?

Or, is it impossible to explain those questions?

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 18:56
This kinda sums up what happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_wars
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 06:28
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

The Croats, Serbs, Bosnians, Macedonians, Albanians, who hates who? Everyone of them would kill any other you think? Is there really such history behind all of them to make endless wars or did one war cause the next and the purposless hate never died? Is there, in the end, no final goal for the wars and do they fight eachother for the sole purpose of war itself?

Or, is it impossible to explain those questions?

IMO,the accessions of Balkans states in the European Union and not hateful  history education at schools can be a useful solution to that

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 18:51
Wow... old thread.... sort of.

One of the main reasons that warfare was (note the was, many countries in the region have moved away from this kind of behaviour) that the region is a crossroads.

This kind of warfare among the Balkans is old... very old.  Beginning with the tribal and city warfare with the Thracians and Greeks, the Greeks against the Persians, Thracians against the Romans, Dacians against southern Thracians, etc. etc.

Even during the time when the Byzantine Empire ruled most of the Balkans, there was really no internal peace.  Slavs migrated into the Empire and were discriminated.  Thracians fought to preserve their independance, finally becoming mixed in with the Slavs.  Meanwhile, throughout the passage of time, migrating and marauding peoples and armies continuously crossed the Balkans.  The Goths, the Huns, Avars, etc.

When the Bulgars came and formed Bulgaria, the Byzantine Empire continuously tried to regain its lost lands.  Even when during the first century of Bulgaria's existance the Bulgars and Slavs defeated the Byzantines numerous times, the Greeks would not give up.  This bred a lot of mistrust in the region.  The Bulgar Hans, Knias's, and Tzars did not trust the Byzantines because the Byzantines would regularly attack Bulgaria in order to regain their lost lands.

Then comes the question of Serbia.  A long time ago, it was said that there weren't any brothers more alike than Bulgaria and Serbia who hated each other more.  The Serbs were another Slav tribe, which formed a Kingdom 200-300 years after the Bulgarians.  Seeing a potential ally against the Bulgarians, the Greeks hired, bribed, persuaded (take your pick) the Serbs to attack Bulgaria from the behind while the Byzantines attacked from the south.  This bred even more mistrust.  In the same way, the migrating Magyars were persuaded to attack Bulgaria by the Byzantine Empire, and while they were repulsed, they settled on Bulgarian lands, and created more hate.

Now, also the Croatians and the Slovenians come into the picture.  Croatia contained Slovens in their kingdom, who later were fueled into trying to gain independance.

Hmm... will write more later, I have to go.  Hopefully this is beginning to answer your questions.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 05:26

Originally posted by Kubrat

.  Hopefully this is beginning to answer your questions.

No, but it's interesting to read the Bulgarian perspective

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 10:30

Thanks Kubrat. I don't know Balcan history in detail, but I just have a grasp of basic conflicts/events.

Edited by Evildoer
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 13:57
Its weird that there seem to have been only Slavs coming to the peninsula centuries after centuries of migrating!!
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 18:30

Post the Greek perspective, it'd be interesting to read that too .  Besides, it's not an official opinion or anything like that, it's just my opinion .

Its weird that there seem to have been only Slavs coming to the peninsula centuries after centuries of migrating!!

Well, not only Slavs, Romanians (they claim descendancy from the Dacians), Albanians (who claim descendancy from the ancient Illirijans), Turks, Slavs, Greeks (of course ), Macedonians are in reality Slavs.  Depending on where you end the Balkans, there is also the Magyars (Hungarians), etc.

You have to remember that it is the dominant ethnicity which remains.  So maybe you had the Tatar invasion, they were assimilated (to an extent), the Bulgars were assimilated into the Slavs (although some north-eastern villages in Bulgaria carry very close resemblance to them) , Thracians into Slavs, Macedonians into Greeks, and so forth.

Also, many Turks are actually Turkecized Greeks, Bulgarians, etc.  I don't say this to offend any of our Turkish friends here, it is just that the local populations get assimilated into the more numerous ethnicity usually.
-William Shakespeare
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 05:41
And I would disagree with that. The Turks in Rumilia were forcily placed there by the Ottoman administration during 14th-16th centuries (something called the stimlk policy). I also disagree with the view that the Rumelian Turks mixed a lot with the natives because there were religious differences. A Muslim Turk couldn't marry a Christian and vice versa. In order to do that, one side should convert and it was not allowed for Muslims to convert to another religion (I also don't think much Christians have converted to marry Muslims - of course such events happenedr but I don't think it happened with large numbers).
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 08:55

Well, not only Slavs, Romanians (they claim descendancy from the Dacians)

AFAIK the reason why Romanians speak a Romance language is that all Dacians have been killed by the Romans. After the conquest Dacia became populated by Romans, and out of them originated the Romanians.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 10:00
AFAIK the reason why Romanians speak a Romance language is that all Dacians have been killed by the Romans. After the conquest Dacia became populated by Romans, and out of them originated the Romanians.

Hmm, well all I know very little about that topic, but I do know that many Romanians claim descendancy from Dacians, as to whether it is true or not, I don't think that even they know.

And I would disagree with that. The Turks in Rumilia were forcily placed there by the Ottoman administration during 14th-16th centuries (something called the stimlk policy). I also disagree with the view that the Rumelian Turks mixed a lot with the natives because there were religious differences. A Muslim Turk couldn't marry a Christian and vice versa. In order to do that, one side should convert and it was not allowed for Muslims to convert to another religion (I also don't think much Christians have converted to marry Muslims - of course such events happenedr but I don't think it happened with large numbers).

I think you misunderstood me Ihsan.  I meant to say that after centuries, for example, many Greeks in Anatolia might have been viewed as Turks now.  I would think that a heavy portion of Greeks would have stayed, or been unable to move, in Anatolia after the fall of Byzantium.  And as for the local population converting to Islam, you forget about the Pomaks, the Bosniaks, and even Albanians.

Also, we should not forget the Mamluks and the janissaries who were usually Christian youths taken from their homes, encouraged to convert to Islam, and later enjoyed good social standing in the Ottoman Empire.
-William Shakespeare
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 11:33
But the Kapkulu were not allowed to marry. When they were allowed, the Devirme system was no longer used and most Kapkulu were Turkish.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 03:40

Post the Greek perspective, it'd be interesting to read that too

I was joking  The Greeks' perspective is basically the same as yours, with the difference that we were "defending" from the Bulgarian aggression

Nice to have you here Kurbat. You live in Bulgaria?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>