Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battles that Great Empires Lost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battles that Great Empires Lost
    Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 10:43
Originally posted by Red_Lord

I think other big battle(great for Bulgars) was the siege of Odrin(Edirne) during First Balkan War(1912-1913).Bulgarian army capture the fortress of Odrin defended by 80 000 turks.Bulgars as attacker was 113 000.And a great moment of world history was USING OF AVIATION for first time in real combat(only from Bulgar side).There other new inovation in war military-FIREWALL(new tactic for cannons).Bulgars capture Odrin and win the war agains Ottoman empire.In all war from 3 600 000 population of Bulgaria it is amaizing(for me) that Bulgarian army was 510 000.

510,000? That is unbelievable. Able-bodied men usually account for 1/5 of the population, so theoretically, Bulgaria could have 720,000. However, standing armies usually account for 1/5 of all able-bodied men or less, so 510,000 is huge. What is even more amazing is that a small nation like Bulgaria is wealthy enough to feed and equip 510,000 soldiers.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 10:59

Originally posted by Belisarius

I think other big battle(great for Bulgars) was the siege of Odrin(Edirne) during First Balkan War(1912-1913).Bulgarian army capture the fortress of Odrin defended by 80 000 turks.Bulgars as attacker was 113 000.And a great moment of world history was USING OF AVIATION for first time in real combat(only from Bulgar side).There other new inovation in war military-FIREWALL(new tactic for cannons).Bulgars capture Odrin and win the war agains Ottoman empire.In all war from 3 600 000 population of Bulgaria it is amaizing(for me) that Bulgarian army was 510 000.

510,000? That is unbelievable. Able-bodied men usually account for 1/5 of the population, so theoretically, Bulgaria could have 720,000. However, standing armies usually account for 1/5 of all able-bodied men or less, so 510,000 is huge. What is even more amazing is that a small nation like Bulgaria is wealthy enough to feed and equip 510,000 soldiers.

I have seen numbers similar to this.  Can't remember the source, but I can find it I think.  Obviously the duration of the war would have to be short, but that was the conventional wisdom 1870-1914...short decisive wars.

The Bulgarians spent huge amounts on modern armaments (Krupps, etc.) and had big plans for the remains of the Ottoman state...a large army was part of the "Big Bulgaria" envisioned.

In 1913, the second Balkan War, there were almost mutinies in the army due to the longer mobilization, and its effect on agriculture and the soldiers' families.  They got hammered in the war also...you know about plans don't you?

How a new state like Bulgaria managed to raise, administer and supply an army that big would be interesting to study I think. 

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 11:38

OK, don't jump on me here, but where I saw this was in an Osprey, Armies in the Balkans 1914-1918.  I know, I know it's not the Bulgarian state archives, but we do what we can.

Bulgaria fielded 13 divisions (one mountain) and two cavalry divisions.

The infantry divisions were 24,000 strong!  Like a corps in other armies.  Assuming the mountain division was less than the others, that is still about 300,000.  The cav divs were probably 5 or 6,000, and then there were all the heavy bridgeing and construction engineering, artillery reserve, transport and depot troops as well as "militia" whatever that meant in the Bulgarian system.  In addition, like most of the other newer states, paramilitary gendarmes were classed as military personnel.  500,000 is not out of the question, but many were no doubt overage rear echelon troops.

I did think the Bulgarian population was more like 5,000,000 though.

Edited by pikeshot1600
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 12:26
A large army from a small population like so mentioned is much more possible in the modern era, with its advanced logistics and such. The main issue here is how the Bulgarian nation was able to support such a large army. Germany during World War II had a population of 70,000,000 and mobilized some 17,000,000 men, which included all of its able-bodied men. However, Germany was a highly developed nation, and had the logistical capablities to supply such a large army. How was Bulgaria able to do it?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 12:38

A large army from a small population like so mentioned is much more possible in the modern era, with its advanced logistics and such. The main issue here is how the Bulgarian nation was able to support such a large army. Germany during World War II had a population of 70,000,000 and mobilized some 17,000,000 men, which included all of its able-bodied men. However, Germany was a highly developed nation, and had the logistical capablities to supply such a large army. How was Bulgaria able to do it?

Don't know.  Might be an interesting study, but I don't know where you would get the data.

All you guys from Bulgaria...any info on this, like from government records and so on?

Edited by pikeshot1600
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 04:44

Ok Belisarius I understand your astonishment.But I miss to tell a fact.Not all army were collect(may be the word is not proper)from the border of state Bulgaria.Many of them were collect from Macedonia,Thrace and Banth-teritories out of Bulgarian border.But the war was to liberate this states.In sources write that in Bulgarian army there is from beartless boys to old men.

Look I don't want to sound patriotically but in Bulgaro-Serbian war in 1885 all Bulgarian army was on south border(Ottoman border)but serbian army was stoped only by police and civil population.(I forget to tell that serbia is the west border of Bulgaria).In 20 cent. we didn't lose our war battles but we always lose on diplomatical war.

If you want check for aviation.I think in Balkan war Bulgars use it for first time IN COMBAT(not as attemp).If I wrong please tell me.The goal of forum is that

I am so sorry for bad English

"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 06:36

The siege of Eger in 1552.

There were 2100 defender (inclueding women and children) against an ottoman army consisting 80 000 soldiers.

Although the fort was lost latter the battle was significant in the ottoman-hungarian border wars. It showed

1. the difference between national troops (1552) and the latter foreign mercenaries (They simply surrendered and do not try to resist.)

2. that the ottoman army not invincible and it is possible to resist.

The women of Eger by Bertalan Szkely:

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 09:38

Ok Belisarius I understand your astonishment.But I miss to tell a fact.Not all army were collect(may be the word is not proper)from the border of state Bulgaria.Many of them were collect from Macedonia,Thrace and Banth-teritories out of Bulgarian border.But the war was to liberate this states.In sources write that in Bulgarian army there is from beartless boys to old men.

Look I don't want to sound patriotically but in Bulgaro-Serbian war in 1885 all Bulgarian army was on south border(Ottoman border)but serbian army was stoped only by police and civil population.(I forget to tell that serbia is the west border of Bulgaria).In 20 cent. we didn't lose our war battles but we always lose on diplomatical war.

If you want check for aviation.I think in Balkan war Bulgars use it for first time IN COMBAT(not as attemp).If I wrong please tell me.The goal of forum is that

I am so sorry for bad English

Well that explains the numbers. However, how were they able to supply the army? Did they recieve foreign aid?
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 17:22

Im ww1 Bulgarian army was 1 200 000 but Germany "free" aid was  25 000 000$ and also helped us with guns and amonitions during the war.But we also helped Germany with foods.

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 17:31

Oh and i forgot there is one great battle here again.April 14 1205 Bulgarians crushed the latin army.Over 300 knights were killed this day.Emperor Balduin was captured and Dandalo died few days later because af wounds and long riding to Constantinople.

The bulgarians attaked the latins while they are heving lunch.The knights get angry and ataked(they had order not to respond in such cases but they didnt obey)This battle actualy was a deadly blow to the empire.

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 17:56

I don't think Allia or Cannae should be included in this catalogue of imerial defeats. Rome only became a true empire after its victory in the Second Punic War.

Here's one imperial defeat for ya: The Portuguese under king Sancho the first beat the Almohads in Santarem, thus halting their advance.

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 01:30

Well that explains the numbers. However, how were they able to supply the army? Did they recieve foreign aid?
[/QUOTE]

In Balkan war?-I think not.May be some credit from some German bank but I am not sure.I understand that may be you know not so much about Balkans(It is normal) but before this war Bulgaria have great iconomical jump(like Philipines now)In my oppinion it is not so heavy to support  510 000 army for about 1-2 year.They take turkish supplies after retaking cities and towns.In fact I am really not so interested in supplying armies.I just want to discover this battle to world. 

And I want to tell about aviation.First in world!

Edited by Red_Lord
Yane Sandanski
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 01:37
Originally posted by Subotai

Oh and i forgot there is one great battle here again.April 14 1205 Bulgarians crushed the latin army.Over 300 knights were killed this day.Emperor Balduin was captured and Dandalo died few days later because af wounds and long riding to Constantinople.

The bulgarians attaked the latins while they are heving lunch.The knights get angry and ataked(they had order not to respond in such cases but they didnt obey)This battle actualy was a deadly blow to the empire.

Dandolo did not die from wounds received in battle, if I remember correctly he was not even there as he was at Constantinople overseeing Venetian business. The old man was in charge to help reorganise the Latin state after the battle, but died soon after the battle from old age (he was supposed to have been in his late 80s).
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 03:58

I think the first time airplanes were used in battle was by the Greeks in the first balkan war.

Greek sources also talk for a Bulgarian population of 5.000.000 and an army of 300.000.

Bulgarians did lose several battles in the 20th century. See 2nd Balkan war, 1st WW.

A great battle which wasn't mentioned is the battle of Manzikert, and the battle of Myriokefalon. In both battles the byzantine emperors (Romanos Diogenis and Manuil Komninos) marched for a decicive battle against the Seljuks. Incopetence and mistakes led to defeat both times, sealing the fate of Asia Minor.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 10:36

I would agree with Manzikert, but not Myriokephalon I think Myriokephalon was more a psychological blow than anything else, it should be remembered both sides suffered heavy casualties all it did was reinforce the shift in the balance of power in Asia Minor which began in earnest at Manzikert.

The Byzantine army I believe was fighting in the west not long after Myriokephalon so the army was clearly far from destroyed, I think Manuel II's comparing this to Manzikert is over the top. As a psychological blow though I suppose it was just as potent.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 12:03
Proabably Im mistaken for Dandalo but there was some "big" guy who died cuz his balls were smashed due long fast riding from Odrin to Constantinople.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:59
True, Myriokephalon did not destroy the byzantine army. What happened in Myriokephalon is that the siege weapons of the army were destroyed, and it lost any chances of capturing Iconion, the Seljuk capital, something which would greatly affect the fate of the east of the empire.
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:21
Originally posted by xristar

I think the first time airplanes were used in battle was by the Greeks in the first balkan war.

It is not true.When you make up this nonsense?I will try to tell you planes mark,number and ...(I think they were Albatros-a french planes and was I think about 13-14 but I will check and tell you)

Greek sources also talk for a Bulgarian population of 5.000.000 and an army of 300.000.

They were 510 000 with all supporting parts and so on

Bulgarians did lose several battles in the 20th century. See 2nd Balkan war, 1st WW.

2nd Balkan war they didn't lose a battle.Do you know something about Kresna battle where they win over united army of Greece and Serbia.They just couldn't win the war agains 4 natioans(Serbs,Greek,Turkey,Romania).Or may be you are talking about invasion of Turkia and Romania but there was no any battles.In WWI  Bulgars win great battles agains french and english at Doiran but after that thay fall back because of german command.

Edited by Red_Lord
Yane Sandanski
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 14:27

Greece DID use airplanes in the Blakan wars. I don't remember how they were called, but we had some. One recontructed is in the war museum of Athens. Now, the point is who used their planes first, in the same war. Greeks or Bulgarians? Well, I don't care. I just say that from my general knowledge Greeks are regarded to be the first.

About the second Blakan war. I don't know how much you've studied these wars. I personally have. The first decicive bloody battle that the Bulgarians lost against Greece was the battle of Kilkis/Lahanas . In this battle, both sides had heavy casualties, some 7000 each, plus some thousands Bulgarian soldiers were taken prisoner. The Greeks, exploiting their victory chased the Bulgarian army. A second battle was given next to the lake Doiran. Greeks win again, capturing also much heavy equipment.

The Greek army now marches forth, destroying any small Bulgarian resistance found. The Greek army crosses by force the Kresna passage, exposing its supply line. On the exit of the passage, Bulgarian units that had withdrawn from the front with the Serbs attack the Greek 4th division, which protects the left flank of the Greek army and also most importantly it protects the Greek supply line, which goes through the passage of Kresna. The order for the Greek left flank is to hold at any costs. Greeks call the Serbs to attack, now that the bulgarian front has been weakened. The Serbs however DO NOT come to aid, as they have already made their counterattack which failed, and basically they have accomplished thier objectives.

The situation for the Greek army is bad, as the Bulgarinas are making very strong attacks against the Greek left flank. A collapse of the left flank means that the already long supply line will be cut, with devastating effects for the Greek army, deep into Bulgarian territory. The Greek high command of course does not remain idle. It orders the right flank to flank the Bulgarian attacking forces! This manouvre touches Tsoumagia, the deepest point of the Greek attack. The attack is conducted. As a result the pressure against the left flank of the Greeks is so reduced that the Greeks consider there is no danger anymore. The war stops here, as the two sides agree to a cease fire, and some days later to peace. The battle of Simitli (or Kresna, as you call it), has ended. The Bulgarians have failed to destroy the Greek army. The Greek army has kept firmly its positions. Greeks consider it a clear victory over the Bulgarians, the third major victory in this 2nd Blakan war.

In WW1, the Bulgarian front broke at Skra in 1918. The Greek entarance to the war gave the allies enough numerical superiority to attack again (an attempt in 1917 had failed badly). The attack, initially by Greek units, punched a hole to the Bulgarian line. French and Serbian divisions flow through this hole, reaching Skopje in a few days. 

Edited by xristar
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 14:36
Note, that this argument (that the Serbs didn't attack when we called for help), has officially been used against them by Greece. I'm not making this up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>