Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria, dies in plane crash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria, dies in plane crash
    Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 08:02

A few days ago he died as well as 15 more people when the helicopter that was carrying him to the monastic community of mount Athos crashed.

It's a huge loss for the Orthodox Christian community of Africa.

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3647624.stm

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/12/greece.crash/ index.html

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 10:56
May the rest live in peace.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 11:05

Yes. It was a great lost for our orthodox brothers.

May they rest in peace.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 11:13
whoa, there are still Orthodox peoples in North Egypt?  Those balck robes must get hot.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 05:19

Originally posted by Tobodai

whoa, there are still Orthodox peoples in North Egypt?  Those balck robes must get hot.

I believe you mistook them for berbers

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 07:09
May they rest in peace and those left behind find comfort.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 07:12

It was a helicopter, not a plane BTW

RIP

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 17:46
whoa, there are still Orthodox peoples in North Egypt?

Coptics?
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 19:47

no those Orthodox dudes, the patriarches and stuff, always wear burqa-esque clothes

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 20:07
Coptic christianity is a branch of the Orthadox Christianity family, just with a unique Egyptian twist. Its lead by the Patriach of Alexandria, the dude who died in the plane crash

Originally posted by BBC News article

Patriarch Petros VII of Alexandria, the spiritual leader of Greek Orthodox Christians in Africa, was heading north from Athens when contact was lost.

Or are there two Patriachs of Amexandria?

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 21:18

Or are there two Patriachs of Amexandria?

Actually Amexandria has five.

and yes apparently there are two "patriarchs" actually the one that died in the plane crash was the orthodox patriarch, the coptic one is still alive.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 22:27

[q]Coptic christianity is a branch of the Orthadox Christianity family, just with a unique Egyptian twist. Its lead by the Patriach of Alexandria, the dude who died in the plane crash[/q]

Wrong Church.

Actually Amexandria has five.

5? Coptic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic Catholic, Melkite, Latin?

And it is a very said day for the entire Orthodox Family.

Edited by Ptolemy
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 04:11

The Ethiopian orthodox are also Coptic, aren't they?

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 10:10

The Ethiopian orthodox are also Coptic, aren't they?

Actually they hate being called Coptic, the Copts actually forced their power on the ethiopian church. (Which I believe is called the Tahwedo church?) They are an independant non-chalcedon church I believe.

Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 14:49

Actually they hate being called Coptic, the Copts actually forced their power on the ethiopian church. (Which I believe is called the Tahwedo church?) They are an independant non-chalcedon church I believe.

I dont know about the Ethiopian Church, but I do know the Eritreans have good relations with the Coptic Church.

I dont know what you mean by forced, as historically, Ethiopia (and the previous kingdoms that ruled the land) always asked Egypt to send an Abuna to them (they had always been under the Coptic Church). When the Ethiopian Orthodox Church asked for their independence, the Coptic Pope actually went to Ethiopia to appoint and Ethiopian Patriarch. Emperor Haile Selassie (sp?) even payed for a large church in Cairo. These two churches have historically had good relations.

Edited by Ptolemy
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 16:45

Once Ezana was of age, he asked Frumentius to go to Alexandria and approach the Patriarch of the Holy See of Saint Mark, to appoint a Bishop for Ethiopia. The Patriarch at the time was St. Athnatius, who when he met Frumentius, and heard his story, decided that the best person for the job was Frumentius himself. Frumentius returned to Ethiopia as the first Bishop with the title of Abune (Father) and the new name of Sellama. Abune Sellama was givin the honorific of Kisate Birhan by Ethiopians, which means "Begining of Light". Abune Sellama is also known as St. Frumentius of the Ethiopians, and is venerated as a Saint by all the Orthodox Churches and the Catholic church as well.

The Coptic Pope, after much negotiation, arguing, pleading and convincing, agreed to raise the Echege to the possition of Ethiopian Archbishop, merging the two posts. Abune Baslios was thus appointed in 1945, and this same archbishop, after further dificult negotiations, was crowned as the first native Patriarch of Ethiopia by the Coptic Pope in Alexandria in 1951.

Sorry I shouldn't have used force, what I meant was that no native bishops historically were risen to the title of patriarch.

Source: http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/ethiochurch/

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 03:37
Originally posted by JanusRook

Sorry I shouldn't have used force, what I meant was that no native bishops historically were risen to the title of patriarch.

True, they're mostly Greeks or Cypriots. Perhaps this has to change and have (or at least educate and prepare for office an African priest for a change)...

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 12:49

True, they're mostly Greeks or Cypriots. Perhaps this has to change and have (or at least educate and prepare for office an African priest for a change)...

I agree, heck I'd even like to see another black pope in the vatican. How can it be a universal office when all of them are from europe?

Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 13:15

What? Are talking about Ethiopia, because all the Abuna's were Coptic. Or are you talking about the Eastern Orthodox patriarch of Alexandria, because then that would be correct.

maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 15:01
i guess berbers had alot of racial variation, cause many of those who lived in numidia/moorocco, where/are pretty caucasian lookin, while the tauregs in central and southern lybia are much darker, yet their both part of the same racial grouping.
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>