Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indian civilisation and culture - Please post info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indian civilisation and culture - Please post info
    Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 17:00

Interesting topic - and timely. I'm a huge art fan and I noticed in my fav ezine that there is a large exhibit of Indian art that starts in San Diego and then moves to Boston and more (TBD dates locations). I'll add a link with more info and some nice images.

http://www.iatwm.com/200510/DomainsofWonder/index.html

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:31
Just to let you know i havn't forgotten bout writting a section on indian history, just taking a lot longer than i first thought (and i've been busy).

eventually i'll post it up unless someone beats me to it (which is unlikely as not much has been added in the past 2 years.....)
ScythianEmpire View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 11:37

Well, I guess Brahmagupta's work could be classed as Indian or Pakistani history. Apparently he was born in Multan, Pakistan (Punjabi) and moved to Gujerat, an Indian state on the border with Pakistan now. He's the guy that wrote rules for Mathematics, which are fundamental to mathematics today.

Perhaps one of his more famous formulations for the rules of zero usage : (debt - negative number, fortune - positive number)

A debt minus zero is a debt.
A fortune minus zero is a fortune.
Zero minus zero is a zero.
A debt subtracted from zero is a fortune.
A fortune subtracted from zero is a debt.
The product of zero multiplied by a debt or fortune is zero.
The product of zero multipliedby zero is zero.
The product or quotient of two fortunes is one fortune.
The product or quotient of two debts is one fortune.
The product or quotient of a debt and a fortune is a debt.
The product or quotient of a fortune and a debt is a debt.

which forms the basis of mathematics today. These ideas took another 500 years to reach Europe through Fibonacci.  

Edited by ScythianEmpire
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 06:53
Brahmagupta was an Indian, Pakistan was non existent 50 yers ago. The britis had to invent it.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 04:16
The 1947-India works!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12