Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst armies in history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst armies in history
    Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 06:06

Originally posted by Belisarius

The crappiest army in the contemporary world would have to be the army of the Philippines. Our army is poorly trained, prone to mutiny and, aside from a few bits of modern machinery, uses antiquated WWII era weapons. I believe we have the most pathetic navy as well. Our air force is not the worst, but could be better.

And the guerrillas who fought Americans after the take over from SPain were reputed to fire their rifles by holding them over their heads and shooting blindly....

Still though, considering the resources availabel and exposure to technology, I would say the Italians are still worse.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 07:41

With no doubt Italian Army in WWI,WWII,Ethiopian campaign,Lybian campaign the poor ability,high casualties,crappy achievments they failed to gain even small victory in WWII in the french front and Egyption front too and still wait for German reinforcement.

This army didn't know the taste of victory.

I think Italians are good in architecture not in fight and battle field.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 08:50
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

]

chad?  (who cares?)

America for a start. They were happy little bunnies in Washington when the French eliminated Gaddaffi as a threat.

and moral exhaustion of Europe in the last eight decades or so.   

Now that's an interesting comment. Are you refering to liberal values on sex and stuff or abandonment of a colonial jackbooted policing of the world policy.

Paul:

Bad choice of words on my part:  Read "Exhaustion of morale."  Europe has demonstrated recently that the EU has neither the capacity nor the will to defend it's interests.  With some exceptions, I think this is true of many of the individual states as well.

I studied European history in school, and I am very pro Europe in terms of the cultures, languages and the benefits Europeans projected through their colonial experiences (don't start a flame war over the last please).

However, through the destruction and carnage of 1914-1945, the European states emerged broken and weary of it all.  One can't blame them for that.  Western Europe has been protected by the NATO (U.S.) nuclear and conventional umbrella for well over 50 years.  The EU cannot address and settle problems like the Balkans 1991-1999.  They are floundering on the question of Islamic extremism at home.  They are not able to agree on any integration politically (that really is a separate issue though).

Europe's "place in the sun" was 1500-1900.  A long time by any measure.  It is over now, and the general performance of the French army in the last 65 years demonstrates that.  The morale is not there anymore.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 09:34
I think of it in another way, here in Europe we have shed too much blood and very often for stupid reasons. Now we tend to be more causious about war and focus more on supporting one another and on the benefits of a social state for the citizens of the country.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 09:51

Originally posted by Yiannis

I think of it in another way, here in Europe we have shed too much blood and very often for stupid reasons. Now we tend to be more causious about war and focus more on supporting one another and on the benefits of a social state for the citizens of the country.

Understood and agreed.  However, this is a military history thread, and in other threads we have been discussing the return of "Balance of Power Politics" since the collapse of the USSR and the growing influence of powers like China and India.  It is now beginning to be played out on a global scale rather than a European one.  Some look upon the EU as the basis for a power bloc.  I see too many weaknesses for that....just a point for discussion.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 10:36

Money makes the war go round!

Or as Archidamus, King of Sparta replied, when his allies requested that he puts a limit to the war spending: "War does not feed on fixed rations"

What I mean is that we don't need to enter a bloody war or to spend trillions on arms deals, in order to protect our countries. Economic power is enough, accompanied by small groups of professionals with adequate, state of the art weaponry. In 1974, military service in Greece was 32 months, in 1992 (when I joined) it was 15 months and now it is limited to 11 and will become 6 within 2006. Instead more professionals are employed to replace recruits, because it takes time and skill to learn how to use new generation weapons. Americans didn't need to outnumber the Iraqi troops, in order to bury these poor recruits in the sand.

More over you can balance the growing power of countries like China and India (btw, why should we?) based on commercial agreements and diplomacy rather than being aggressive militarily.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 12:08

Yiannis:

Economic power is never enough.  If it were, the U.S. would not have had to fight in World War I.

Obviously you are Greek.  You know what a kaleidoscope of passions and politics the Balkans always are.  Geographically, the peninsula is in the EU's "sphere of influence."  It is in the interests of the EU and non EU states to restrain the type of things that have happened there in the past.

In the 1990s, the EU was found wanting in both will and means to do that, and it fell to NATO (i.e. the U.S. navy and air force) to deal with Serb misbehavior.  Although I doubt it will be permanent.

Economic strength is not going to solve the problems of the Balkans.  There is no more Turkish or Soviet blanket to cover up those problems, and military force may again have to be applied by any number of countries to address their interests.  The EU seems unwilling....morale problem.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 13:22

Bad choice of words on my part:  Read "Exhaustion of morale."  Europe has demonstrated recently that the EU has neither the capacity nor the will to defend it's interests.  With some exceptions, I think this is true of many of the individual states as well.

I think what you are describing is the fact Europe nolonger has a central purpose, a strong fixed ideology and the resolve to carry it out.

If so I would agree. Europe has become a society of intellectuals akin to a conference of philosophy professors. Each giving their own analysis, then doubting them and agreeing they might be wrong and the conference coming to a final conclusion of inconclusive reserved judgement on everything except that another conference need be organised for further discussion.

We could contrast this with neo-conservatives who have a single concise and simplistic analysis, a strong conviction they are right and all other views wrong and a determination to push their view to the front without much concern for stepped on toes.

I think to some parts of the outside world, perception of this can be it's fatigue and a lack of morale, the result of two world wars.

But the way it tends to be perceived within Europe is that it's the result of enlightenment gained from a futile colonial past. I think your original description an exaustion of morals, not morale, better describe present Europe.

I simply don't share a neo-conservative bunker mentality and reguard the world as a place to look around for potential enemies, I don't see China as a threat, India as a potential future threat more future and current friends. 

Europe probably is exhausted of morals...... but morals are a terrifying and thing for a powerful country to have.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 13:59

I vote for the 1967 Egyption Army. No preperation, too much propoganda, Russian guns and Bazokas that soldiers were not trained to use them before the battle, defective weapons, and Um Kalthom music inside tanks

Did I mention Jamal Abdul Naser ,some sees him as hero!, used to parade his missles which are called "Al Qaher". The funny thing is, people get excited watching those missiles which were only wood and iron.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by Constantine XI

My vote goes to the 19th century Qing army. Representative of a major power of the day, their armies were outdated and yet ultra conservative. Their leadership disdained emerging military traditions and was corrupt. Their performance in the field against European enemies was a comic tragedy for the army of so powerful and economically strong a nation. For the army of so major a power their army performed terribly.

Well...you are not far from finding the worst army.  The 19th century Qing army regulars actually could not fight.  All of the major victories against rebels were scored by private militias recruited in villages.  The only function of the Qing regular army was to squander public funds.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 16:50
There were worse armies around at the time than the Qing dynasty's, but what makes Qing armies to laughable is that they were the defence force of a monolothic major power with vast human, economic and politial resources. Their banner armies did well enough in the early stages, but were allowed to decay to such an extent that they proved hopeless against European encroachment. Main problem: fanatical conservatism. All which fails to progress inevitably falls behind.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 17:22

There were worse armies around at the time than the Qing dynasty's, but what makes Qing armies to laughable is that they were the defence force of a monolothic major power with vast human, economic and politial resources. Their banner armies did well enough in the early stages, but were allowed to decay to such an extent that they proved hopeless against European encroachment. Main problem: fanatical conservatism. All which fails to progress inevitably falls behind.

They were really not the defense force for a monolothic major power.

1. The Qing Empire was no longer a major power in the 19th century

2. The Qing Empire used militias raised by officials privately to defend its borders, not the regular Green Standard and Bannermen

AAAAAAAAAA

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 17:57
I would consider the Qing to be a major power, but one which was simply an underachiever for the time being. They had huge resources at their disposal, but were too conservative to properly utilize these. They could easily have defeated any European power had they put their resources to proper use, and also modernized without too much political instability.

The banner armies were not always the mainstay of the Qing armies, but the fact that the Emperors (or Empress if we make exception for one nasty character) thought a peasant militia could do the job during the 19th century shows how poor military planning was at the top.

Edited by Constantine XI
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 03:16
Originally posted by ok ge

Did I mention Jamal Abdul Naser ,some sees him as hero!, used to parade his missles which are called "Al Qaher". The funny thing is, people get excited watching those missiles which were only wood and iron.

Agree with you cok he was not a hero I thank Allah because Jamal defeated in 1967 war if not he will  be now  a god of Egypt.

I hate this man because he take more than his size.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 06:25

Originally posted by Zagros

The French army during the same period.

Don't forget the spanish, whose colonial army was defeated in the 1920's with huge losses at the hands of the by numbers vastly inferior Rif rebels

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 15:23

I would consider the Qing to be a major power, but one which was simply an underachiever for the time being. They had huge resources at their disposal, but were too conservative to properly utilize these. They could easily have defeated any European power had they put their resources to proper use, and also modernized without too much political instability.

The banner armies were not always the mainstay of the Qing armies, but the fact that the Emperors (or Empress if we make exception for one nasty character) thought a peasant militia could do the job during the 19th century shows how poor military planning was at the top.

You are partially right about your assessment, but the peasant militia was actually better trained and had more morale than the regular Green Standard and elite Bannermen.  Peasant militias were essentially private armies of officials and provincial governors, so the governors had much to gain by training a disciplined army that served his own political purposes.  Peasant militias that evolved into the Xiang and Huai Armies were actually better equipped than the Bannermen, with modern cannons, western rifles, German trainers, and even better wages.  Reason: The "private" peasant armies were able to secure loot through various channels, while the standard armies waited for the government's pitiful wages.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

Arnil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 16:29

I have to defend Italians.I know every campaigne they started   failed, but it was the bad generals faulth. Besides, althought in Egypt the english were outnumbered, but there equipement was much better and they new the terrain.

Anyway, The worst WWII army was the polish one. When the german invade whit their Panzer a big part of the polish army was still cavalry

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 20:30
Originally posted by poirot

You are partially right about your assessment, but the peasant militia was actually better trained and had more morale than the regular Green Standard and elite Bannermen.  Peasant militias were essentially private armies of officials and provincial governors, so the governors had much to gain by training a disciplined army that served his own political purposes.  Peasant militias that evolved into the Xiang and Huai Armies were actually better equipped than the Bannermen, with modern cannons, western rifles, German trainers, and even better wages.  Reason: The "private" peasant armies were able to secure loot through various channels, while the standard armies waited for the government's pitiful wages.

I have to ask, how could they secure loot? I would be guessing that a highly defensive nation like 19th century Qing China would only be able to loot cities if they were supressing rebellions or crushing internal military problems.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 03:37

Originally posted by poirot

I have to ask, how could they secure loot? I would be guessing that a highly defensive nation like 19th century Qing China would only be able to loot cities if they were supressing rebellions or crushing internal military problems.

Well, the rebels, especially the Taiping troops, looted from the rich and the landlords.  When the Xiang Army was organized under Zeng Guofan (many Qing officals would claim that the Xiang Army was Zeng's private army), it looted from the rebels, and whoever came in its path.  The entire city of Nanking, capital of the Taiping Rebellion, was looted thoroughly by the Xiang Army.  In theory, all the loot should be either returned to their rightful owners or turned over to the government.  But the generals, officers, and soldiers kept most of the treasure themselves.  All knew that the government's wages and funds were not enough to keep them from starvation; thus the only way to get rich was to loot from the oppressed.

The answer to your question is that they helped to "redistribute" wealth by taking the wealth from others into their own pockets.  The lure of stealing riches from rich rebels who stole from landlords and wealthy officials was a major driving force of the peasant militias.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 18:28
Originally posted by Laelius

My suggestion is the Scottish Army 73,000 BC to present day.

If the Scottish army was the worst then the English army must be a glorified youth group when considering how many times outnummered Scotts with inferior weapons had outfought invading Englishmen.

Now then Laelius, you've been watching "Braveheart" again haven't you?

Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>