Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongol Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
kuralas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kuralas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongol Empires
    Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 13:33
If to compare tribal structure of Mongols of Chingis Khan's period, they were Turkish.
Niruns and darlekins were Turkish (I'm also). Chingis Han was nirun. If he was nirun, then he (Chingis Han) was Turkish

Edited by kuralas
Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 23:42
Kereits (Kereis) were Turkic speaking tribe (see, please, Paul Ratchnevsky "Genghis Khan", Rene Grousset  "Empire of the Steppes",  J.J.Saunders,  Leo de Hartog,  R.P.Lister, and many many others). Kereis now are part of modern Kazaks (see www.elim.kz) - i.e. now they are Turks as well. Khan of Kereits, Toghrul (which means gerfalcon in Turkic), was suzerain and kind of father for young Temirshin (or Temujin) - future Genghis Khan.  What language did they speak? I can't imagine that a medieval times vassal could speak to his suzerain using other but the suzerain's  language.    

Edited by Akskl
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 07:22
Originally posted by Temujin

that was only a theoretical overlordship, in fact the Golden Horde and the Chagatai Khanate were pretty much anti-Yuan dynasty, while only the ll-Khanate acknowledged the overlordship of the Yuan emperors.

In that case one can only conclude that Mongol Empire has been greatly overrated.  What kind of empire was it that existed only in theory, with its various subdivisions in conflict?  It was really just a series of conquests which held together as a true empire for only a very short time.  Highly overrated, in my opinion.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 15:01

Come on guys, Rene Grousset says that the Mongols of the 12th century were mongolian-speaking. If you treat his work as a bible, you should at least take it at full value, not just pick what you like and ignore what you don't like.

Same goes for tribal names. Once you put the connections between 12th century Mongols and today's Mongols into doubt (which has some point, just look at other peoples like Makedonians or Egyptians), you shouldn't take the connection between 12th century Keraits and today's Kerait or whatever for granted. That's just illogical.

And Dalai is a mongolian word. And I checked it's there in the russian version, otherwise I wouldn't have cared to ask at all.

Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 18:48

Rene Grousset and other historians write about some weird "Turko-Mongols" (Kereits, Naimans, Jalairs, Qongyrats, Onguts, Merkits, Tatars, Uighurs etc.) who were ALL Turkic speaking guys, and also Rene Grousset and other historians assume (!!) that Turkic and Mongolian languages are very close. The Khalkha-Mongolian language is not close to Turkic languges at all.  It seems obvious (when reading Secret History) that Genghis khan and his "Mongols" have absolutely no language and communication problems when they meet tet-a-tet somebody from any other "Turko-Mongols" (who were and are 100% Turkic speakers).  All this means that Genghis Khan's  "Mongols" are not related to the modern Khalkha-Mongols.   

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 02:52
Nice point, AkSakal; thanks. Have you noticed this too? I've been lately trying to find out why the Mongolian spoken today in Mongolia seems to vary significantly with what you see in Secret History. Now, WE've got differences between Old Turkic and today's Turkic languages. But it's not that big to say old Turkic is not understandable for Turkic speaking speakers nowadays. The point is that most of Mongols I've met are not able to understand much of Secret History. We'll see about it soon. Take care buddy.
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 02:59
By the way, remember that the people governed by Chengiz Khan just 'picked up' their name in that 'qurultay' we all know about. So, this does not necessarily mean that we should expect an isolated (or what... distinct) group of people among Steppe men. It's just a name. We all know that they were a mixture of Turks & Mongols. I mean I agree with Aksakal; saying that Genghis Khan's  "Mongols" are not related to the modern Khalkha-Mongols. That's about it for the time being. Take care...
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 10:00
I must admit I am beginning to see all this endlessly repeated "Mongols spoke Turkic" claims as an utter waste of time.

Temuljin was Mongol, he spoke Mongol, he got Uighir scribes to adapt their script to write down Mongol texts.  We have written texts in Mongol that describe this.  Any claim that Temuljin was Turkic is wild fantasy.

As for the "medieval vassal" theory ???
The Quara Khitai were Khitan Mongols, their Empire used Khitan as it's ruling tounge, many Mongol words are found in the  Turkic languages of it's main subjects the Naimen, QuaraKhanids and Uighur.  Does that make them 'mongol' - of course not.
rgds.

Tom..
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 13:18

The Secret History doesn't mention any communication problems, whether it be with Jurchid, Tanggut, or whomever. Now, people from mixed-ethnic parts of the world often are able to master the basics of more than one language, so no big problem here. Or they just ignored the role of interpreters.

I'm a bit with tadamson here. If conclusions like

"The Borjigin were Mongolians (a friend of me is also). Chingis Han was Borjigin. If he was Borjigin, then he (Chingis Han) was Mongolian"

or

"Mongols were Mongolian speaking tribe (see, please, Rene Grousset  "Empire of the Steppes" and many many others). Mongols is also the name of a group of modern people - i.e. Mongolian as well. Yesugei was father for young Temujin - future Genghis Khan.  What language did they speak? I can't imagine that a medieval times a son could speak to his father using other but the father's  language."

were considered to be a proof of anything, there'd be no reason to even start a discussion in the first place. I'm somewhat uncertain that Rene Grousset really makes it so clear that the Kerait speak Turkish btw - shall I look up the actual quote over the weekend?

Anyway, what's the reason for those handed-down mongolian-language artifacts, like the seals tadamson mentioned, or the Secret history itself, again?

Edited by yan.
Dragon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 13:50
Decent book on this subject, at least about the empires aspect is Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford.  It basically is an autobiography of Genghis Khan, but continues on after his death detailing the empires of his descendants.  Does a good job of outlining the Mongol impact on other civilzations such as Kievian Rus and China.  Good for a bit of light reading . . . 
History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 14:10

Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

In that case one can only conclude that Mongol Empire has been greatly overrated.  What kind of empire was it that existed only in theory, with its various subdivisions in conflict?  It was really just a series of conquests which held together as a true empire for only a very short time.  Highly overrated, in my opinion.

well no, the Mongol Empire only fragmented after the death of Mngke Khan, when Kubilai usurped power and established the Yuan dynasty.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 10:28

Dear Tadamson and Yan,

Hi there. Best wishes and respect. Well, you're right buddy. We, too, agree with you. But, Aksakal and I are trying to discuss another issue, that is:

There WAS/IS a group of people among Steppe people, differed from Turks, called 'Mongols'. But the people, we now call Mongols are not exactly the ones mentioned throught the history.

And who said Mongols spoke Turkic? It's just a misconception I guess. We're just trying to say that the structure of Mongols almost a thousand years ago was quite different. They seemed more close to Turks; or should I say Turks seemed more close to them. And, not all Turks/ Mongols were able to speak Mongolian/Turkic. We've all heard about 'tillmach'=translators among Steppe men.

All I want to say is that Chengiz Khan's men were not exclusively Mongolian. And whatever the percentage was, they had more common with Turks; compared to today (now this might be because of closer social interactions). Today, Mongolian really completely differs from Turkic. Studying Secret History or some other Mongolian scripts that dates back to 500 years ago, some parts are really understandable for me as a Turkic buddy. What's more interesting, sometimes, I don't understand the meaning at all; but just sounds familiar in my own tongue.

That's about it for the time being. You are right mate. It was just a misconception. Take care and take it easy.

Kind regards,

Iltirish

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 06:51

SaikhaNBayar wrote:
What is the reason, every Arabs proudly discuss and talk about how they defeated the Tatars (mongols) in a place called Ayn Jalut?

I believe it should be read in the context of Mulims rather than Arabs. Though Hulegu did march into Syria, I am not sure whether he had any plans for the Muslim's holy cities of Mecca. It is generally believed that Mecca and Medina were probably saved when Mongols were defeated at Ayn Jalut and then Damascus and Allepo returned to Muslim rule. By then the Mongols were more focussed on other issues in the other parts of it's empire.

SaikhaNBayar wrote:
Even though Mongols couldn`t completely destroy Mamluks, they controlled all the Arabian world.
Il-Khanate dynasty khans took Islamic religion themselves in 1295, and was the main ruler of Arabian world. And its sucessor Dogolon Tumur (Tughlug Timur) and Mongol tribe Jalairs , ruled Arabian world for 200 years until 1460.

I believe the Ilkhanate was largely in Persia and not Arabia.

Do let me know if my perceptions are incorrect.

chonos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chonos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 01:58

what an utter nonsense discussion, of course there had been cultural interactions between the two peoples due to the fact that turks found their first empire in orkhon valley some 500 years before chingis khaan was born, all the steppe people take cultural aspects of one another, there are many turk words in mongolian language, it's just a steppe tradition that is passed on no matter who adopted them, it doesn't necessarily mean that mongols in 13th century were turks and spoke turkish. Remember the turks left mongolia long time ago, then came uighurs, after which kidans "liao dynasty", then mongols.   

Edited by chonos
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 11:48

You see lots of Turkic (and not Turkish) tribes when you go over those people united under the name 'Mongol' anyhow. It's not only due to tradition buddy... it's a fact that majority of old Mongolian horde were Turkic. Oh, and Uyghurs are also Turk. Take care mate...

Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 22:34
I am going to scan and present here the Introduction of the Paul Ratchnevsky's book soon. 
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:07

Among Mongols of Iran, I've got a lot of friends. In fact, I've been among them for almost two years. What I've noticed is that ALL of them believe their ancestors spoke TURKIC and not Mongolian. Even the ones who have left Afghan Mongols to the destination of Central Khorasan (Fariman, Torbat and ...) to join their Iranian brothers agree with them.

I asked them this might be because of the formal language of Iran Ilkhanids which was Turkic. But they just said: 'all our grandparents have been Turkic'.

And, some old Turkic words still are alive in their language (also its Farsi; but they use a few words). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any Mongolian word in their Farsi.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123