Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Most One-sided Battle in History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Most One-sided Battle in History
    Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 19:10
Yeah, no surprise there that the Texans won.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 01:01

no matter how one sided or if there was suprise if its between two largely armed groups its a battle, the only massacres are by armies against civilians.  I had a whole debate which I eventually won with this with a friend of mine wh oinsisted Pearl Harbor was not a battle...oh yes it was, and so are many other such one sided ones.

But I still think in casualties terms Manlila bay is the most one sided one, I mena cmon, one to at least a few hundrerd into the thousands...

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 16:46
Originally posted by Tobodai

But I still think in casualties terms Manlila bay is the most one sided one, I mena cmon, one to at least a few hundrerd into the thousands...

What about Cajamarca?

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 02:27
True, good point, I cant beleive I forgot that one since I just freaking studied the Inka Empire last year!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 17:35
The most, I don't think so but one-sided yes.

In the morning of April 8, 1941 the Hellenic flag, which beyond any reasoning was still hoisted, was de-hoisted. At the same time the German General shook the hand of the fort Commander and stated:

"On behalf of the German Nation, I congratulate the heroic defenders of this fort, who shadowed the glory of Leonidas and Themistocles. Please pass these words to the officers and soldiers of the fort. Last night the Berlin and London radio stations chanted hymns for you."

Then, the fort Commander proudly answered:
"General, we did nothing but our duty as defenders of the motherland".

During the "battle of the forts" (MAXH TWN OXYRWN) 6-11 April 1941 the casualties on the Hellinic side were a mere 7 dead and 23 wounded while the German casualties reached 555 dead 2134 wounded and 170 missing in action (these numbers do not include officers)
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2005 at 17:43
Such respect for a 'subhuman', non-Aryan people from this Nazi.

Just how did the Nazis view the Greeks?
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 13:35

They were just helping out Mussolini, you know...

I don't think the place for Greeks in the nazi's racial hierarchy was so low. They had a thing for the Romans, after all.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 15:59

Another notable one-sided battle. The unnamed battle pitching the Romans versus the army of Britons commanded by Boudica in 60AD:

Romans: 2 legions (~10000 soldiers) vs Britons 230,000 soldiers

Casualties:

Romans: 400 vs Britons 80,000

Goes to show what organization and good training can do. It was also a very important battle: had the Britons won, the Romans would have been kicked out of Britain and world history might have never been the same. I still feel bad for the Britons though

Napoleon Bonaparte

honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 17:13

Here is one that beats all. Nurhachi's eastern campaign, in which 4 men(a few dozen followed behind, but they didn't participate, they probably did affect the outcome though by their mere presense to scare the opponents) defeated a tribe of 800. No one on Nurhachi's side was killed. While at least 50 of the enemy was.

If we use a twist, there is one that comes off top. No one can beat it.

0 Liao troops defeated 100,000 Song. How? The Liao commander wrote a letter to a 100,000 Song invading force. He said that the Liao had several times the soldier and would just surround the Song. The Song commander was shocked, they retreated in haste and dropped a load of weapon in the retreat. Hundreds of the Song troops probably died from marching all that distance, and the hasty retreat when Liao simply used its pen.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 17:19
Originally posted by Decebal

Another notable one-sided battle. The unnamed battle pitching the Romans versus the army of Britons commanded by Boudica in 60AD:

Casualties:

Goes to show what organization and good training can do. It was also a very important battle: had the Britons won, the Romans would have been kicked out of Britain and world history might have never been the same. I still feel bad for the Britons though

The population of the whole of southern Britiain was only a million people. The poplution of the eastern part where the rebellion occured 200,000. that's 80,000 men of fighting age. Only some of the eastern tribes did participate in the revolt. If we estimate 50% of males of fighting age from the participating tribes fought we get a figure of 30,000. then we would have to subtract the casualties from the earlier battles. On my archaeology course the lecturer from the Museum of London reckoned their were only 10,000 Britions, less than there wetre Romans.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 21:48

Battle of Thermopylae or Battle of Myeongnyang:

Battle of Myeongnyang: 12 Chosun ships vs. 333 Japanese ships, Imjin War

Battle of Thermopylae: Someone already mentioned this I think, 300 Spartans dead to about 30,000 to 40,000 Persians. (Actually counting the remaining Greek army the death toll may have been 4,000 Greeks)

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 02:40

Jadeed Boghaz, West of Madine, 1812 AD

a punch of bediouns who call themselves unitarians defeated & chased the Turkish Army sent by Mehmet Ali Pasha after instructed by constantinpole in 1812 AD, from Medina to Yunbu sea port, a whole day trip and killed 4000 of them with only 600 castualty (book of John Sabini, Armies in the Sand,Page 92 if you are interested, battle of Jadeed Boghaz)

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 08:28

Casualties:

That was the Battle of Walting Street. I have heard a sensible estimate of 30,000 Britons at the battle from Decisive Battles. As said, there may have been only 10,000 at the battle, making it not that great a victory for the Romans.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 14:17
I got this info from a documentary called "Battlefield Britain" and took it at face value. I believe that these are the figures recorded by Roman historians, so I can see how some exaggeration is possible.
Napoleon Bonaparte

rangerstew View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rangerstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 15:54

Maybe not as one sided as the ones mentioned previously, but it is more recent:

The Battle of Bakara Market, Mogadishu, Somalia.

Nineteen American KIA's/500-1000 Somali's killed(no one knows the exact amount).

Bonaparte View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bonaparte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 15:55

Cajamarca, 1532

Incas: 8000 vs Spanish 168

Inca casualties: 7000 vs Spanish casualties: 0

Let's see you beat that!

Im with this being the most onesided battle. To add to it there was only one injury recorded on the Spanish side, and that was Pizzaro himself.

"The theory is not the practice of war."

"It is not for an event to govern politics, but for politics to govern events."

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 15:57
I heard of One Thousand killed in that battle, pretty one-sided. Again, shows what good training can do compared to civilians given drugs and AK-47s.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2005 at 16:35
Originally posted by Belisarius

Such respect for a 'subhuman', non-Aryan people from this Nazi.

Just how did the Nazis view the Greeks?

Unfortunately Hitler actually idealized the anient Hellines and Sparta, he actually compared the battle of Thermopyles and the treason of Ephialtes to the Nazi defeat in France and the stance the politicians held towards his so-called 'cause'. If I remember correctly he also presented his own version of the inscription on the monument mentioned by Herodotus:

"Go, tell the Spartans, thou who passeth by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie. "

Using it to describe the German's courage and valour in the battle field...

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
King_Cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote King_Cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 16:26

Dirtmap there is no way the Persians had 500,000 men.  That just goes to show that alot of the Greek historians like to over exagerate things to make the Greeks seam invincible.

Ok this one Battle has to be near the top of the list.  Battle of Carrhae, 9000 Parthian horse archers with 1000 fully armored lancers (Cataphracti) making a total of 10,000 on the Parthian side. 

Roman side included 7 legions of heavy infantry (28,000 men) plus 4,000 cavalry and 4,000 additional light infantry.  Making the Roman side a total of at least 36,000 men.

Battle took place in modern day Northern Iraq.  At the end of the Battle 20,000 Romans were killed 10,000 captured.

Parthians didnt even suffer 100 casualties.  Making the ration 1 Parthian killed for every 200 Romans.  At least 1/200

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 16:31

Carrhae also has one of the most novel and ironic deaths as well.

The Roman commander Crassus (richest man in Rome) was captured by the Parthians and executed by having molten gold poured down his throat. A horrible way to go, but then again he deserved it for crucifying 1000's of Spartacus' followers.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>