Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander Empire in America

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
meninwhite View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote meninwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander Empire in America
    Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 02:27

In a book Alexander lives to 50 i think and conquers India,China,Carthage,Arabia,Sythia and Italy his Empire becomes very orintal with the offical Religon Buhddisim,Hannable discovers Atlantis(THe New World)

Here's my idea They istablish colonies in Florida,Cuba,Bahmahs,most of The Mississipi they establish New Alexanderia they have wars with Native tribes.

The Battle of The West Nile (Mississippi river)

Greek Forces                                                          Native forces

Troops  500,000          ;           ;           ;           ;  Troops  90,000
Caverlry 200,000          ;           ;           ;           ;  Cavelry 40,000

Mahots(War elephants) 300         &nb sp;         &nb sp;   

The NAtives win by supior arrows

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 03:05

Well ive heard of that book.  Written by an Alexaderphile who thinks if Alexander lived the world would be a happy wonderfull place filled with rivers of chocloate and candy skies.  However the reality of his fragmented half empire makes me think otherwise, but its historical amusemenst of ocurse.  I really dont see even with the Phonecians how this empire would spur tranoceanic expansion or accomplish it.  Phonecians have only been definately proven to have traveled to the Senegal river and Ireland at extremes.  They probably could but would they?

Also I do think Alexanders forces would win this new world battle due to superior technology and the diseases from eurasion cattle and livestock.   I suppose the native got cavalry from settlers, but why are their arrows superior? If Alexander ruled the Eurasion world he would have acces to Steppe recurve bows that would be far superior to any American equivalent. 

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 10:46
Originally posted by meninwhite

In a book Alexander lives to 50 i think and conquers India,China,Carthage,Arabia,Sythia and Italy his Empire becomes very orintal with the offical Religon Buhddisim,Hannable discovers Atlantis(THe New World)

Here's my idea They istablish colonies in Florida,Cuba,Bahmahs,most of The Mississipi they establish New Alexanderia they have wars with Native tribes.

Greek Forces                                                          Native forces

Troops  500,000          ; ;           ; ;           ; ;           ; ;  Troops  90,000
Caverlry 200,000          ; ;           ; ;           ; ;           ; ;  Cavelry 40,000

Mahots(War elephants) 300         &am p;nb sp;         &am p;nb sp;   

This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard! First of all, Alexander could not have conquered such a huge empire and maintained it. He could barely control what he had conquered, let alone an empire 5 times the size. Second, the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, the most advanced sailors of the time, only had galleys, which would have sunk within a week of attempting to cross the Atlantic. To cross over 700000 troops with horses and elephants: that's bigger than D-Day, which was a short hop across a channel. Finally, where would the natives get the horses? Besides, the native cultures of the modern Eastern US only became an agricultural society capable of mustering such a huge army several hundred years later. I know it's historical amusement, but put a little bit more thought into your posts, please! 

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 13:22
Ok asuming they ha all of China and India (hah!) i agree with the post above. There's no way anyone at that time had the power to move an army of that size across the atlantic with a large enough army to take the America's
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 20:48

Greek Forces                   & ;nbs p;          &a mp;n bsp;                     & ;nbs p;      Native forces

Troops  500,000      &am p;nb sp;   ;            ;      &am p;nb sp;    ;            ;  Troops  90,000
Caverlry 200,000       & amp; nbsp;  ;       & ;nbs p;   ;       & amp; nbsp;   ;      & ;nbs p;    ;  Cavelry 40,000

Mahots(War elephants) 300       &am p;nb sp; &nb sp;      &am p;nb sp;  &nb sp;   

Which whacko wrote this? I swear, the things that get published these days.

Natives having superior arrows? They were still using the same stone and flint weapons that they were using when they entered the Americas. How would there have been native cavalry? There were no horses in America until the arrival of the Spaniards. There was no way they could have won a pitched battle with the Greeks. The natives never even fought in pitched battles.

Seeing as how 400,000 is an extremely liberal estimate of the entire native population of North America, divided into thousands of seperate tribes, I think you would be quite hard-pressed to find 130,000 able-bodied warriors to fight.

Good luck being able to transport an army of 700,000 and 300 elephants over an ocean with the technology available in the world at the time.

Edited by Belisarius
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 21:44

Why would the official religion become Buddhism. the Persians at the time were not buddhist and ( maybe a small amount on the eastern frontier).

The Buddhism in china first became wide spread in 265-317 C.E. 

Edited by Rome
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 14:38
If there was such a pitched battle, Alexander would kick butt. The stone and flint arrows wouldn't do much against his elpephants and his own archers. What the heck does "superior arrows" mean?

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 11:57
Originally posted by Belisarius

In a book Alexander lives to 50 i think and
conquers India,China,Carthage,Arabia,Sythia and Italy his Empire
becomes very orintal with the offical Religon Buhddisim,Hannable
discovers Atlantis(THe New World)

Here's my idea They istablish colonies in Florida,Cuba,Bahmahs,most
of The Mississipi they establish New Alexanderia they have wars with
Native tribes.

Greek Forces                      & ;nbs p;
        &a mp;n bsp;

& ;nbs p;
    Native forces

Troops
500,000      &am p;nb sp;
;              
;      &am p;nb sp;   
;           ;  ;
Troops 90,000 Caverlry
200,000       & amp; nbsp;
;       & ;nbs p;
;       & amp; nbsp;
;      & ;nbs p;    ;
Cavelry 40,000

Mahots(War   elephants)
300       &am p;nb sp; &nb
sp;      &am p;nb sp; &nb
sp;     The NAtives win by supior arrows

Which whacko wrote this? I swear, the things that get published these days.

Natives having superior arrows? They were still using the same stone
and flint weapons that they were using when they entered the Americas.
How would there have been native cavalry? There were no horses in
America until the arrival of the Spaniards. There was no way they could
have won a pitched battle with the Greeks. The natives never even
fought in pitched battles.

Seeing as how 400,000 is an extremely liberal estimate of the entire
native population of North America, divided into thousands of seperate
tribes, I think you would be quite hard-pressed to find 130,000
able-bodied warriors to fight.

Good luck being able to transport an army of 700,000 and 300 elephants
over an ocean with the technology available in the world at the time.

Belisarius, while I agrre that this is a whacko assesment, I feel like I do have to make a correction. The native population of North America was quite a bit larger than the "liberal" estimate of 400000 that you give. The area that is modern Mexico alone has been estimated to have a population of around 20 million around 1500. Recent discoveries have shown that there was a moderately advanced agrarian society in the Eastern US, in the Mississippi valley. I forget exactly what the name of the town is, but around 400 AD, there was a city there (in Illions I think) that has been estimated to have a population of around 100,000. By the time European explorers got to this area, most of this agrarian culture had been wiped out by European diseases that spread from Florida and Mexico.

Of course, ther rest of this whole story is utter nonsense though.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 13:22
What do you mean by superior arrows? The Native Americans of the time were not even as advanced as the Hittites and Assyrians in warfare.

Edited by Rome
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 14:53
Forgive me Decebal, for my 'Americentric' mindset. What I meant was this was the population of the hunter-gatherer societies of modern United States and Canada.

While I have heard much of the mound-builders of the Great Lakes and Mississipi Valley, this is the first time I have ever heard of one of their communities surpassing four digits.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 15:41
Well, I saw a documentary on it, a few years back, on the Discovery channel. I don't remember the name of the largest settlement. However, the settlement of Cahokia is estimated to have had a population of 15-30 thousand inhabitants around 1200AD. This you can look up on the net. Considering that that is approximately the population of Paris at the time, we can assume that the Mississipi valley had a fairly large population as well. 400,000 total for the areas covered by Canada and US doesn't really seem like such an "extremely liberal estimate", when you may have had 30,000 only in Cahokia.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 16:15
Oh, but it is an extremely liberal estimate during the time of Alexander. By the arrival of the English in North America, an estimate of the population could be as high as a million. However, during a time where Paris did not even exist, even before the birth of Christ for that matter, 400,000 is extremely liberal.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 19:51
400,000 is an extremely insane number for an ancient people like the Native Americans. If an estimate of one million is used in 1600, how in the 300s BCE can the Native Americans have as much?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 19:59
As I said, it was an extremely liberal estimate. 
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 20:53
There's several factors to take into account:

1. The native population of North America has been underestimated in the past, to make more credible the claim of the white colonizers. This is similar to the claims of Apertheid South Africa that the Cape region was uninhabited when the European settlers arrived.

2. The European settlers arrived in the 1600's on the Eastern coast of the US, but European diseases arrived earlier (in the early 1500's) and seem to have decimated a large portion of the population, especially in the agrarian regions of the Midwest. Thsu, the 1600 population may a lot lower than the 1500 population. I remember in Jared Diamond's book, Guns Germs and Steel, that some historians have claimed a 90% population decrease for the area for that century.

3. The agricultural revolution in these areas had started by 300BC, although the bulk of the population expansion occured later.

I think that between the population explosion after 300BC and the decimation which occured after the introduction of European diseases in the 1500s, the two population levels of 300BC and 1600AD may well be comparable. When taking into account that most estimates of the population in 1600 were probably lower than reality, one may see why I believe that 400,000 is a low figure for the population at the time.

Such a population spread over Canada and the continetal US would imply a density of 0.02 inhabitants per square kilometer. In other words, a region such as New York State would have a population of only 3000 people. Rhode Island would only have a population of 60 people: barely the size of a hunter-gatherer tribe. By contrast, the Nejd, a region of comparable size to New York with a very unfriendly environment had a population of around 50,000 people in the 1800s. This is a desertic region in Arabia whose population consisted entirely of nomadic bedouins who still lived according to the traditional style at the time. A region such as New York State could be considered a lot more friendly to life than the Nejd. To use another example, the Andaman islands in the Indian Ocean support a native population of around 30,000 hunter gatherers, over 8000 square kilometers, aside from the more urban immigrant population. According to Wikipedia, by 1492, Haiti alone had a population of 250,000 Arawaks and they were not an agrarian society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American

Again, according to Wikipedia, "The Native Americans [...], it is estimated that at least ten million lived in the territory now occupied by the US before European contact, and the subsequent introduction of foreign diseases such as small pox that decimated the native populations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

I think that if we were to revise this estimate by a factor of 10 and arrive at a population of 4 million, spread over 20 million square kilometers, we might be closer to the truth. Still, this population would not be enough to field the enormous armies that the original post talked about.

Edited by Decebal
Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 16:52
All of this is assuming that there was a large number of Native Americans to begin with. There were not tens of thousands who entered North America in prehistory, it is not even sure that there were thousands. The total population of prehistoric America might have been as low as the hundreds.

An agricultural revolution does not necesarily equal a population explosion. There are many other factors which contribute to large populations which include bountiful land, lack of enemies, minimum famines and epidemics, etc, in addition to having an agrarian society. This is why Haiti could have had 250,000 people by 1492, or why the Hawaiian Isles was populated by a million people by the 1700s. The beginnings of agriculture north of Mexico c300 BCE does not mean that there was an immediate population explosion.

The population density argument would be valid if the native people were indeed evenly distributed at X per square mile. Population was dispersed at uneven numbers in each areas.

Take also into account the varying terrain of the United States and Canada and the movements of the native people. While the east and northwest was near ideal for living, the northern ice and tundra, as well as the climate-Hell of the Great Plains could not support a large population. Take into account that hunter-gatherers and semi-nomads need huge territories to supply all their needs should one place be no longer habitable or bountiful. A hunter-gatherer society in today's world, regardless of the living area, would be a far different example. They have the advantages of centuries more of population growth confined in only so much space because of the surrounding civilization. Also, it can be sure that 90% of the time, if the government know about the existence of these people then they are giving them supplies.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 18:18

The original immigrants that came to the Americas indeed probably numbered in the hundreds. But 2000 years after evidence of human inhabitation was first discovered in North America, evidence was found of human inhabitation pretty much everywhere in the Americas, all the way to Tierra del Fuego. And then the population could grow for 7000 years, until the timeframe in question. Even if we assume a very low rate of growth of 0.5% (which would assume high mortality), that would mean that the original population would increase by a factor of 1.45e15 over 7000 years. At 0.2%, the population would increase by a factor of 1.185 million. These are very low growth rates, but they would still allow for a very large population by 300BC, in theory numbering in the billions. Of course, that did not happen. What probably did happen, is that the population increased a lot during the first couple of thousand of years, filling most inhabitable areas. It then more or less stablized, with the best areas having the largest population density. This confining and the subsequent rise in density you talk about that surrounding civilizations would force upon hunter gatherers would simply happen to a certain extent naturally, as a result of this population growth.

As far as your argument of varying terrain, do you realize how large the inhabitable and bountiful areas of the US and Canada are? If we take the East Coast, from Florida to Nova Scotia, the Midwest (with the Mississippi valley), the Great Lakes and St.Lawrence valley, the Pacific coast up to British Columbia, you'll find that it adds up to about 5 million square kilometers, out of a total of 20 million. At the time of European contact, the Inuit nation (Eskimos) numbered about 10,000 people spread over one of the harshest  environments on Earth and about 1 million square kilometers.  Are you going to tell me that other native people living on the bountiful 7 million square kilometres could not manage a population density greater than 7 times that of the Inuit? Assuming that the entire population of 400,000 was concentrated in those 5 million square kilometers, this would still only mean a population density of 0.08 people per square km.

How do you explain the growth from 400,000 to the Wikipedia estimate of 10 million at the time of the European contact, especially since the agrarian revoultion was only confined to one area?

Napoleon Bonaparte

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 21:07
I think you misunderstood the findings of the scientists. They found that native people had been present all over the continent, not that they continued to live there.

A 0.5% is not exactly very low, even for the civilized world. The problem with this assessment is that you are suggesting that population continued on a stable upward climb. It would be ridiculous to suggest that, throughout the history of the pre-Columbian era, there were no famines, epidemics, natural disasters or some other calamity that led to population loss. An example of this would be the supposed disease that ended the Anasazi culture. When the moundbuilders reverted to hunting and gathering, it can be sure that they did not continue to have such a high population.

I have been to several areas of the United States and you are correct in saying that it is largely bountiful and inhabitable. However, as I have said before, hunting and gathering societies require huge roaming grounds. There are years of less bounty and so it would be suicide for even an agrarian tribe to live in an area that can no longer support its people when they could simply move their 200 members and farm somewhere else. Perhaps 10,000 warriors took part in wars west of the Mississippi against the United States. Should this account to be all able-bodied men (generally 1/5 of the population), then it can be said that only 50,000 people lived in the area west of the Mississippi and east of the Pacific coast. A population density of 0.08 per sq kilometer, or 0.2 per sq mile for those living in America, sounds entirely valid.

I would not be so convinced of Wikipedia's validity. It is a nice source when you do not have time to pick through books, but most of those articles were written by people who are not professional scholars.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 10:22

Actually I did say that the population stabilized overall. I didn't go into this further, but natural calamities would certainly have had a role in this overall stabilization. Sustained growth of 0.2-0.5 would have resulted in populations of billions or even trillions, which is where natural calamities come in, to lower that population to realistic levels. All I meant was that there was ample time by 300BC for the Americas to become densely populated and for the native people to fully occupy and exploit all available habitats. Jared Diamond goes into some detail about the populating of the Americas in his book "Guns, Germs and Steel"

You talk about a pop density of 0.08 people/square km between Mississipi and east of the Pacific coast. However, these are precisely the regions in the US which are not as bountiful as say California or the East Coast. The density would be a good deal greater there...

I know that Wikipedia is not the most trustworthy source, and I'll look up some other sources when I get the time. In the meantime, I still think that the native population of North America has historically been underestimated for political reasons, until recently. Coming back to the original post though, even though the population base may have been there, there was no political unification to speak of which would allow for such large armies.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 12:11
Originally posted by Decebal

(...) Second, the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, the most advanced sailors of the time, only had galleys, which would have sunk within a week of attempting to cross the Atlantic.

The Phoenicians sailed the Atlantic northwards (till at least Great Britain) and southwards (till Gabon or Congo). It's not unlikely that would Carthage had beaten Rome or just remained a solid independent power, America would have been discovered for Euro-Mediterraneans in the first centuries of our age.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>