Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cumans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cumans
    Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 02:52

T

he Cumans, also known as Polovtsy (Slavic for yellowish) were a nomadic West Turkic tribe living on the north of the Black Sea along the Volga. They are identified with the Western branch of the Kipchaks.

They invaded Southern Ukraine, Moldova, Wallachia and part of Transylvania in the 11th century and from here they continued their plundering of the Byzantine Empire, Hungary and Kievan Rus'.

In 1089, they were defeated by Ladislaus I of Hungary, then they were again defeated by Vladimir Monomakh in the 12th century and crushed by the Tatars in 1241. Many took refuge in Hungary and Bulgaria, where they were assimilated. Their name can still be seen in placenames such as the city of Kumanovo in Macedonia, Com緋e演i in Moldavia and Comana in Dobruja. Cumans having settled in Hungary had their own self-government there, and their name (kun) is still preserved in the county names B塶s-Kiskun and J嫳z-Nagykun-Szolnok, and town names as (eg.) Kiskunhalas, Kiskunszentmikl鏀 as well. The Cumans from the current Russia joined the khanate of the Golden Horde.

In the 13th century, Western Cumans became Catholic Christians, while Eastern assumed Islam. The Catholic "Diocese of the Cumans" included Romania and Moldova. This title was kept until 1523. The principality of Wallachia was established by Basarab I, son of the Cumanian warlord Tihomir of Wallachia at the beginning of the 14th century. The name Basarab is considered as being of Cuman origin, meaning "Father King".

Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 04:13
The Cumans not only in 1089 were defeated by Ladislaus I. I know about free big Cumanian invasions: controlled by Kutesk, Kapolcs and 翳os.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 06:07

Western branch of the Kipchaks

Also other Branch of Kipchaks is Sellahadin Eyybi (very Famous Commander) and His soldiers.

Edited by Tengrikut
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 11:24
nice pics, thanks
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 11:46
Originally posted by Tengrikut

Also other Branch of Kipchaks is Sellahadin Eyybi (very Famous Commander) and His soldiers.

pls show sources to confirm that, its known that he is a kurd or an arab.

Edited by DayI
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 17:12

If I remember correctly Sellahetin Eyubi was from  Konya, Turkey region and was Turkic.

While Sellahedin Keykubat from Arabia was Kurdish.

AydoluAtsiz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote AydoluAtsiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 19:59

tatar i think is it the other way around. sellahadin keykubat was turkic. a selcuk turk. sellahedin eyubi was kurdish. the same sellahadin as in kingdom of heaven.

it was keykubat who was from konya i believe.

Edited by AydoluAtsiz
Trk duygusu her Trk踙ye en tatl kmzdr;
Trk lks candan da aziz bayra蹥mzdr...
Darbeyle g霵llerde yatan lk silinmez!
Atsz yere dmekle bu bayrak yere inmez!...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 21:23

Aydolu Atsiz,

Yes you are right, I just found the following information

Salhu d-din Yussuf Ayyubi

Tikrit, Iraq 1138- Damascus 1193) First Ayyubid sultan, and famous for having recaptured Jerusalem from the Crusaders. Saladin was of Kurdish heritage, and all through his career he used mainly Kurdish officials as his closest partners.  Saladin managed to revitalize the economy of Egypt

----------------------------------------

Alladin Keykubat

The Statue of Sultan Keykubat stands at the western approaches of Alanya and is one of the first sights greeting the buses arriving from the airport. The Seljuk Sultan ruled Alanya in the 13th century. The statue shows Alaaddin Keykubat astride his horse ordering the Seljuk troops to attack.

Hak-Khan View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hak-Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 15:09
Originally posted by Tengrikut

selahattin eyybi is not Turkish

he was arab or persian
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 15:21
great_hunnic_empire View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote great_hunnic_empire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 15:55

Nice post Minchickie

Saladdin was a arab and have no relations with kurds

His army was controlled by Turks and arab generals.. Memluks Turkish Empire was descendants of Turkish generals who controlled Saladdin army.

The land that my horse has rode on, there shall not be a grass againAtilla the Hun
p2.forumforfree.com/turan.html
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 16:12

He trained with Seljuks early in his career.

An authoritative statement leaves me with this one question: Do you mind posting your source?

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 09:53
Saladin, was a Kurd whose Arabic name is Salah ad-Din Yusuf.
Born in Kurdistan, educated in Cairo.  At 14 joind the service of Nur ad-Din (Abbuyis Sultan of Syria and his Uncle).  Served in the invasions of Egypt and at age 31 was made govenor of Egypt.  When Nur ad-Din died he won control of the Abbuyid empire.

No signficant Turkis aides or generals that I can recall, nor did he use many Ghilman in his forces (quite a few Turkman allies though).
rgds.

Tom..
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 10:25
his brother whas called Tughril (or any family of him).

Edited by DayI
Janissary
Janissary

Quote great_hunnic_empire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 10:41

Born in Kurdistan? There is no place called officially or recognised lands in the history..

So you can't claim that he was born in this called land in thousand years ago.. He was a arab, Simple. You probably watched too much of Kingdom of Heaven

Bye for now

The land that my horse has rode on, there shall not be a grass againAtilla the Hun
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 14:00

Another brilliant arguement!

He positioned his horse and rode off into the abyss known as the web. And perhaps the Great Hun has returned to his long lost empire. When will he reappear. Only he knows. 

Janissary
Janissary

Quote great_hunnic_empire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 18:03

Soon Seko

Seko  Turk' musun hocam

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 21:09
Originally posted by great_hunnic_empire

Soon Seko

Seko  Turk' musun hocam

Ayip ettin arkadas. Turkish-American.

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 21:18
Originally posted by great_hunnic_empire

Born in Kurdistan? There is no place called officially or recognised lands in the history..

So you can't claim that he was born in this called land in thousand years ago.. He was a arab, Simple. You probably watched too much of Kingdom of Heaven

Bye for now

For anone interested...

My apologies, the village is now part of Azerbeijan.  Kurdistan is the term used by Minhaj al-Siraj Juzjani in the Tabaqat-i-Nasiri (written between 1240 and 1260AD, one of the most important histories of the Islamic world).  In this  Sultan Salah-ud-Din, Yusuf, son of Aiyub-al-Kurdi fith of the Kurdiah Maliks of Sham gets eight pages (a very respecatable portion of the 1300 or so).

rgds.

Tom..
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 10:30

"Saladdin was a arab and have no relations with kurds"

And where do you get your information from?

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>