Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kogoryo, was it chinese

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Turkic10 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turkic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kogoryo, was it chinese
    Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 13:18
The PRC has condemned imperialism and yet is one of it's worst practitioners! It is quite willing to re-write history to justify it. The Chinese think they are a superior people, The Japanese know they are a superior people. The Koreans are thinking 'If they only knew'.
Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.
Koguryeo-sonyeon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Koguryeo-sonyeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 21:06
That is your thought. I don't want to abuse all.

Edited by Koguryeo-sonyeon
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 23:06
Um was that a threat there?  Because we don't appreciate those here.
Koguryeo-sonyeon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Koguryeo-sonyeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 23:18

If I rude, Sorry for that Gubook Janggoon and Trukic10.

As I'm not good at Enlish, I can't express my thought well.

But I'd like to you think whole after see only one side.

Edited by Koguryeo-sonyeon
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 03:39

Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

That say things like "Gao Gou Li Ren Bin Fei Chao Xian Ren" of "The people of Goguryeo don't have any relation to Koreans"

the title says Koguryo-people are absolutely not Choson people

and somewhere in that text it says Koguryo has its roots in Shang dynasty

this is too stupid to even get angry

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 22:21

In my personal opinion, Koguryo is Korean.  Ask the people above me.

Intellectually speaking, it's a good question. 

Like if we ask a Koguryeo-ean whether he is chinese or korean, he'd be like "WTF.  I'm someone who lives in here."  It's that simple. 

But the catch is that if he had to choose between China and Korea, he'd most likely side with Korea.  Because Koryo dynasty was made to honor Koguryo, which got toppeled by Choson, which formed korea.  China, however, is a mixed culture of many different ethnicities, with Han being the dominant and the one represented.  In other words, it's a new idea.  It's not completely Han because China assumes the status of other ethnicities and embraces their own culture, different from Han, as theirs.  So the choice for the Koguryo-ean is a country who followed the ways of Koguryo, or a mixed Koguryo-Han-Sui-Tang-ethnic minority idea.  I'm pretty sure Koguryo people would not side with a country whose ancestry includes a rival state of them.

Grrr..
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 22:47
Since you pose that question I think this would be more appropriate.

Approaches Goguryeoan individual.

Would you rather have your kingdom be considered part of the history of China, where you will be considered a minority of a greater whole or would you rather have your kingdom be considered to be a part of the history of Korea where your people would be considered a sort of founding father?

I imagine two responses.

1.  What?  I'm Goguryeoan.
2.  Korea

My two cents there.

But then again I'm biased. XD
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 23:01

Goguryeo! Goguryeo again!

After I visited SK, actually I have become to understand why Korean care this matter so much.  That is a indispensable part of your national pride. To be honest, I feel Korean sometime are too sentimentalist when they are talking about history, especially those history that they think to be their national pride. For example, when our guide told me about Tangun, she said " in 2031 BC (don't remember very clear) ... and then a mythical story about how the god let a bear, the fictionary ancestor of Korea became human and bore Tangun. "  Though common enough, every nation have their own mythology about their ancestor, it was my first time to hear that someone treats a myth as chronicle.  I don't know whether it was her own idea. However, if she really learnt it from school or some educational books, then it is not strange to me why some Korean's views on Gorguryo issue are so radical.

Gubook,you posted a photo about the Chinese extremists. I would also like to post one I took in SK. In fact, I don't know exactly what the words that were painted on this Korean tourist bus mean. Judging from the picture and the map, I reckon they are about Gorguryo and possibly unfriendly to Chinese. Could you translate for us? Thanks!

Edited by oodog
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 18:07

The big title says Korean History Festival.

Some of the smaller script is hard to read.  :l 

I imagine that this is run by extremist though, because of the fact that they're adding Gando into the map of Korea although there might be a reason for this.  :l

The one distinction that I'm going to draw between your picture and mine is that.

1.  Your picture depicts a private organization.  A group of tourists who hold a particular point of view.

2.  My picture depicts a sign at/or describing one of the Goguryeo sites set up by the PRC.

oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 20:33

To me, however, their distintions are:

Your photo demonstrate the different views on a historical issue between Chinese and Korean, which is a common and unharmful thing if it were not politicalized and limited to pure academic argument.

On the other side, what shows in my photo, especially the map, which comes to my notice that actually it is not a historical map of Gorguryo,  is utterly a bad violation against the current international law. It exposes some Korean's ambition  on Chinese land. I don't think it is right to advertise such extremist hysteria. Imagine how the Korean would feel if you saw a Japanese map including Korea into the territory of Japan?

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2005 at 23:15

Actually oodog, that extra chunk of land belonged to the Chosun dyansty... From what I have read the Japanese ceded it to China when they annexed Korea in 1910.

Koguryo lands were more extensive than the one shown on the map, they at their height included some of Mongolia.

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 00:53
Originally posted by Loknar

Actually oodog, that extra chunk of land belonged to the Chosun dyansty... From what I have read the Japanese ceded it to China when they annexed Korea in 1910.

Koguryo lands were more extensive than the one shown on the map, they at their height included some of Mongolia.

I don't know who told you the land belonged to Chosun dynasty.

As I know,it belonged to China. By the end of the Chosun

dynasty, thousands of poors of korea went there for a better

life,as the land was much fertile than their owns.

The emperors of Qing took Manchuria as their native land, so they

forbad other people went there. The forbiddance made there a vast

unmanned territory.  For this sake,the Koreans soon become the

majority in population in that area. But this does not mean the

area belonged to Korea in history.

It's not wise for some Korean parliament  members and newspaper

to make a fuss about the so-called Gendo problem.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 11:59

As I know,it belonged to China.

As I recall it, the Gando/Gendo conflict was resolved as part of Qing only after in 1909 Japan and Qing signed the Gando treatise, giving Japan the right to construct railways in return.  And in that treatise, Choson was excluded.   

Before that, there were like several attempts to define the boundaries between those two countries.  I think the first one, or one of the first was this stella called Mokguk (к) that was found in 1712 after an incident where 5 chinese were killed around the region.  I don't remember how the geographical boundaries were like around that time, so I won't make claims now.

So after the Japanese withdrawal, NK and China had another agreement, w/o SKn consent, in 1962, ܫͣ (Whatever that is), setting the boundaries between the two countries, that gave Gando to China.  But even that treatise is not registered to the UN.

My point is that the problem is more complicated that "this is Korean" or "this is Chinese," because like, 4 countries are all involved in this issue and they all made things worse. 

So yeah, don't just go like "hey, it's chinese because it's our land now."

By the end of the Chosun

dynasty, thousands of poors of korea went there for a better

life,as the land was much fertile than their owns.

The emperors of Qing took Manchuria as their native land, so they

forbad other people went there. The forbiddance made there a vast

unmanned territory.  For this sake,the Koreans soon become the

majority in population in that area. But this does not mean the

area belonged to Korea in history.

It's true that Koreans immigrated to that region, especially after Japanese colonization, becaues of land being fertile and it being Qing dynasty's birth ground, but that's not the whole story.

It's not wise for some Korean parliament  members and newspaper

to make a fuss about the so-called Gendo problem.

The same way some Chinese media and government tries to make a fuss about this Koguryo being Chinese ethnic minority.

Grrr..
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 13:58
Mmm.

Well first of all.

You're picture really has nothing to do with our discussion, which is about Goguryeo.  You're welcome to start a thread about Gando/Jiando if you'd like to.  You call it extremist histeria.  I agree. BUT, it is extremist histeria by a private organization and not the government. 

Second of all, that sign is harmful to relations between the two nations.  As you have noticed yourself, the Goguryeo is a highly sensitive issue in Korea to to dis-equate Koreans from Goguryeo, as is done in the sign, would be highly offensive.  This sign would too be characterized as "Extremist Histeria", but in this incidence, this is something set up/ supported by the state.

Edited by Gubook Janggoon
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 14:17

I agree with your point,demon,it's more complicated than "this is ours"

or "this is yours". In fact, I can offer more detailed historical background

infromation about the Gando problem to you,but sadly,all of them are in

Chinese language.I think you can do the same thing too.  We all tend to

believe the facts provided by our own side.

You're a nice guy.I'm not here to quarrel with you for Gando or Goguryo

But when one of your neighbors always claim in newspaper one room of

your house was his,you will feel uncomfortable too.

You do not know China. Our media seldom make fuss about Kogryo,partly

because  they are not aware of the importance of koguryo,partly because

our government banned such reports. The government leaders did not wish

unpleasant thing appear between the media community of the two countries.

BTWI have read The Record of Three Kingdoms through the link you

provided , I even bought one book. If I'm here to argue now, I can quote

some content of the book to sustain my viewpoint But I'm not here to

quarrel.  The best policy for me at present is to keep silence.  

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 14:52

The two books are very important, I think everyone who want argue with his counterpart about Goguryo should read The Record of Three Kingdoms for at least two times.

I'm reading The History of Kori now. What impress me most was the beginning part of the book,i.e. therecord about the first king ,Wanggun.This part proveded some clues.

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 17:44
Originally posted by oodog

Goguryeo! Goguryeo again!

last time it was because China's stance changed from 'Korean history' to 'both Chinese and Korean history'

this time because China's stance changed from "both Chinese and Korean history" to "Chinese history and not Korean"

'course, being Chinese, you couldn't know that, since you guys don't care about Korguryo as much as we do..

Edited by I/eye
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 23:43

Hey Hannibal and Demon,

The Gando discussion is very interesting and all, but if you want to discuss it further, please create another thread.  I'd like to keep this topic on discussion, ie Goguryeo.

oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 03:01

Mmm.

Well first of all.

You're picture really has nothing to do with our discussion, which is about Goguryeo.  You're welcome to start a thread about Gando/Jiando if you'd like to.  You call it extremist histeria.  I agree. BUT, it is extremist histeria by a private organization and not the government. 

Second of all, that sign is harmful to relations between the two nations.  As you have noticed yourself, the Goguryeo is a highly sensitive issue in Korea to to dis-equate Koreans from Goguryeo, as is done in the sign, would be highly offensive.  This sign would too be characterized as "Extremist Histeria", but in this incidence, this is something set up/ supported by the state.

At least I know the backgroud of the painting in my photo is one of the frestos of Goguryeo period.  On the other hand, I don't think the Yanbian ("Gando" as the Korean call the region) issue has nothing to do with the Goguryo argument. Both on the web and in my conversation with some Korean when I was in SK, I notice some Korean radical  nationalist believe in this logic -- Goguryeo ruled Yanbian (Gando) for almost a millennium. Korea is the rightful successor of Goguryeo. So those lands should be Korea's proper possession.

I know this is only a few extremist's thought. But it is more offensive and dangerous than any academic argument on Goguryeo's ownership.

First, there is no broadly accepted paradigm on judging the ownership of  a vanished civilization like Goguryeo. Even in the historian circle,  no consensus has been made yet. Under such circumstance, the Chinese surely have the right to express their own opinion on Goguryeo history.

In view of pragmatism, of course the Chinese should have better keep silent on the Gogueryeo matter, because whom Goguryo history belongs to means so much to the Korean and so little to Chinese. But should a genuine intellatual give up his academic position only because another nation's collective amour-propre should be take care of? If you ask me, I would say "no". for a historian, that is a matter of moral integrity . I reckon this is the reason why many Chinese scholars disagree their Korean counterpart's view on Goguryo.  I would like to re-paste one of my post in another thread that initiated by you.

Interestingly, the very reason that Goguryeo is thought to be Chinese in China is almost the same with that it is thought to be Korean in Korea. Lets check it out:

l         Territory, a part of Goguryeo Kingdom today is ruled by PRC while the other part by NK.

l         Capital, the capital of Goguryeo originally was located in Jilin Province, China, but it was moved to Pyongyang  later.

l         People, after the collapse of the Goguryeo Kingdom, the conqueror, Tang Dynasty forced most of its people to reinhabit in Chinese hinterland, while the rest took refugees in Shilla (right spelling?). Thus, both Chinese and Korean are entitled to claim kindred of the Goguryeo people.

l         Culture, you could hardly tell the Korean culture from Chinese culture in that period. Perhaps the right description is that Goguryeo belonged to the East Asian Confucius Cultural Rim.

The root of Goguryeo is so profoundly mixed between China and Korea that actually you are always justified no matter you declared it Chinese or Korean. What really matters is the position you are at. 

Second, in your post you keep emphasizing on the official background of the Chinese institutes that claim Goguryo history is part of Chinese history. It is nothing special if you know the reality in China. Currently, to my knowledge, pure private academic organization are rare (if there are any) in China. Almost all academic institutions are directly or indirectly sponsored by the government. But it does not necessarily mean all researches that carried out by those academic institutions are commanded by the government.  Ironically, it is the Chinese government that is trying to tune down the tone of the debate on the Goguryo issue. As you and I/eye have noticed, common Chinese people don't even know what is Goguryo, saying nothing of  the details. How can it be if the China government start up all the propaganda machines to advertising this argument? On the contary, the Chinese government had made an diplomatic agreement with the SK government. Both sides agreed to limit the Goguryo argument only within academic field.(You can search this news on web.) As a matter of fact, the most inflamed quarelling about this issue are threads in BBS on internet, which,  you know, is considered as the least officially contrlled media in China.

Edited by oodog
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 10:32
Originally posted by oodog

Mmm.

Well first of all.

At least I know the backgroud of the painting in my photo is one of the frestos of Goguryeo period.  On the other hand, I don't think the Yanbian ("Gando" as the Korean call the region) issue has nothing to do with the Goguryo argument. Both on the web and in my conversation with some Korean when I was in SK, I notice some Korean radical  nationalist believe in this logic -- Goguryeo ruled Yanbian (Gando) for almost a millennium. Korea is the rightful successor of Goguryeo. So those lands should be Korea's proper possession.

I know this is only a few extremist's thought. But it is more offensive and dangerous than any academic argument on Goguryeo's ownership.

First, there is no broadly accepted paradigm on judging the ownership of  a vanished civilization like Goguryeo. Even in the historian circle,  no consensus has been made yet. Under such circumstance, the Chinese surely have the right to express their own opinion on Goguryeo history.

In view of pragmatism, of course the Chinese should have better keep silent on the Gogueryeo matter, because whom Goguryo history belongs to means so much to the Korean and so little to Chinese. But should a genuine intellatual give up his academic position only because another nation's collective amour-propre should be take care of? If you ask me, I would say "no". for a historian, that is a matter of moral integrity . I reckon this is the reason why many Chinese scholars disagree their Korean counterpart's view on Goguryo.  I would like to re-paste one of my post in another thread that initiated by you.

Interestingly, the very reason that Goguryeo is thought to be Chinese in China is almost the same with that it is thought to be Korean in Korea. Lets check it out:

l         Territory, a part of Goguryeo Kingdom today is ruled by PRC while the other part by NK.

l         Capital, the capital of Goguryeo originally was located in Jilin Province, China, but it was moved to Pyongyang  later.

l         People, after the collapse of the Goguryeo Kingdom, the conqueror, Tang Dynasty forced most of its people to reinhabit in Chinese hinterland, while the rest took refugees in Shilla (right spelling?). Thus, both Chinese and Korean are entitled to claim kindred of the Goguryeo people.

l         Culture, you could hardly tell the Korean culture from Chinese culture in that period. Perhaps the right description is that Goguryeo belonged to the East Asian Confucius Cultural Rim.

The root of Goguryeo is so profoundly mixed between China and Korea that actually you are always justified no matter you declared it Chinese or Korean. What really matters is the position you are at. 

Second, in your post you keep emphasizing on the official background of the Chinese institutes that claim Goguryo history is part of Chinese history. It is nothing special if you know the reality in China. Currently, to my knowledge, pure private academic organization are rare (if there are any) in China. Almost all academic institutions are directly or indirectly sponsored by the government. But it does not necessarily mean all researches that carried out by those academic institutions are commanded by the government.  Ironically, it is the Chinese government that is trying to tune down the tone of the debate on the Goguryo issue. As you and I/eye have noticed, common Chinese people don't even know what is Goguryo, saying nothing of  the details. How can it be if the China government start up all the propaganda machines to advertising this argument? On the contary, the Chinese government had made an diplomatic agreement with the SK government. Both sides agreed to limit the Goguryo argument only within academic field.(You can search this news on web.) As a matter of fact, the most inflamed quarelling about this issue are threads in BBS on internet, which,  you know, is considered as the least officially contrlled media in China.

Well written!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>