Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DSM explains how Xian fundimentalism is in the Amer Const

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSM explains how Xian fundimentalism is in the Amer Const
    Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 14:33
Originally posted by BattleGlory

However, the idea of inalienable rights is basic to Christianity, where each person was created by God.

That is a complete non sequituur.  It doesn't logically follow that because two documents share one similar doctrine that one is derived from the other. 

If the government assumes too much responsibility, hello communism!

Communism is necessarily a bad thing why?

As for my beliefs, I think the logical explanation for the immense complexity of life today is a God.  Evolution, despite the long ages, is still mathematically impossible as an explanation, particularly for the first life to form, but even from then on, there is no explanation for the changes in that allegedly happen, that allowed one kind of animal turn into another.

For one thing, you confuse abiogenesis with evolution.  Abiogenesis is not a pre-requisite for evolution.  Evolution would still happen even if a god or gods were to create the world in the manner that it is.  If you're going to try to refute evolution with macro/micro-evolution or the commonly misapplied 2nd law of thermodynamics then you might as well not bother.  Neither are real science.

Sir, I have done a huge amount of study on the evolution/creation argument.  I am not confused.  What do you mean evolution would still happen?  It did not happen.  The only "evolution" that has happened is the variation within kinds, the micro-evolution you mentioned.  There is and has been no evidence of macro evolution, the change of one kind (baramin) to another.  There is no fossil evidence, and there is no feasible mechanism by which this could have occured.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 15:18
Cywr, I'd like to tell you that America's crime rate and especially our violent crime rate have been dropping since the 90's when anyone with more than 3 felonies was sent to prison for life.
Member of IAEA
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 15:35
Originally posted by Genghis

Cywr, I'd like to tell you that America's crime rate and especially our violent crime rate have been dropping since the 90's when anyone with more than 3 felonies was sent to prison for life.

I'm aware of that, its been falling in some European countries too (Netherlands is down second year in a row), crime rates fluctuate all the time, up and down, so its kind of hard trying to pin an individual influence on their prevalence.
Arrrgh!!"
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 17:50

And I am amazed by the number of people who think that evolution is a theory, and a weak one at that. Actually evolution is a well known, proven (both by fossil record and laboratory experiments), observed (in nature) fact. Denying the existence of evolution is the same as denying the existence of gravity. What is being discussed in the scientific community are the mechanisms of evolution, various means of selection (natural, sexual, gene, species, group, etc.), not evolution itself. Similarly, Lamarck's theory was a (wrong) theory of evolution, it is not an alternative to evolution, it is an alternative to Darwinism. 

I will have to state as a believer in evolution I am appalled by people who seem to think that it's the only theory that should be taught. That's just as bad as those "creationists" who thought evolution shouldn't have been taught.

Creationism is not thought in schools simply because it is WRONG. Biology is a hard science which has its facts. Calling evolution 'a theory' and promoting creationism is like calling the round earth a theory and asking for the flat earth theory to be thought in schools. If you find this appalling, that's your problem.  

DSM,

Although I am confident that I can smash your argumentation easily (since you asked, yes, I've been studying evolution, since you've been born, probably), I won't discuss creationism with a 'protestant taliban' (thanx to Mixcoatl) like you, since I believe that you just studied some crackpot creationist 'scientists' from American bible belt 'universities' instead of any real scientists, and stated that you would believe the bible even when you see proof to the contrary, anyway. I already believe that you are an irrational person, and I don't want to waste my time trying to show you the truth through reason (i.e. discussion). 

But, if anyone else wants to promote creationism, flat earth, Lamarck's theories, or deny evolution, gravity, man made global warming etc., please feel free to create a new thread and notify me. 

BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 18:05

What do you mean evolution would still happen?  It did not happen.

Ahhh, but it did and still is happening.  If you had such a great understanding of evolution you would realize that it doesn't matter how life started, only that life started, for evolution to happen.

The only "evolution" that has happened is the variation within kinds, the micro-evolution you mentioned.

There is no such thing as micro-evolution though.  It was made up by creationists when they realized it would be ludicrous to argue against evolution completely because bacterias and similar organisms can evolve quite quickly in comparison to larger, more complex organisms (which is to be expected).

There is and has been no evidence of macro evolution, the change of one kind (baramin) to another.  There is no fossil evidence, and there is no feasible mechanism by which this could have occured.

Explain away the dinosaurs and other such creatures that lived millions of years ago.  No mechanism?  Do you not know about DNA and genetics?  Mutations and transcription errors and all sorts of other ways that DNA is copied differently than it should under perfect circumstances?

~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 19:43
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

And I am amazed by the number of people who think that evolution is a theory, and a weak one at that. Actually evolution is a well known, proven (both by fossil record and laboratory experiments), observed (in nature) fact. Denying the existence of evolution is the same as denying the existence of gravity. What is being discussed in the scientific community are the mechanisms of evolution, various means of selection (natural, sexual, gene, species, group, etc.), not evolution itself. Similarly, Lamarck's theory was a (wrong) theory of evolution, it is not an alternative to evolution, it is an alternative to Darwinism. 

I will have to state as a believer in evolution I am appalled by people who seem to think that it's the only theory that should be taught. That's just as bad as those "creationists" who thought evolution shouldn't have been taught.

Creationism is not thought in schools simply because it is WRONG. Biology is a hard science which has its facts. Calling evolution 'a theory' and promoting creationism is like calling the round earth a theory and asking for the flat earth theory to be thought in schools. If you find this appalling, that's your problem.  

For once Beylerbeyi and I could not be in greater agreement.

Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 22:53
Originally posted by DSMyers1

However, the idea of inalienable rights is basic to Christianity, where each person was created by God.

That is a complete non sequituur.  It doesn't logically follow that because two documents share one similar doctrine that one is derived from the other. 

If the government assumes too much responsibility, hello communism!

Communism is necessarily a bad thing why?

As for my beliefs, I think the logical explanation for the immense complexity of life today is a God.  Evolution, despite the long ages, is still mathematically impossible as an explanation, particularly for the first life to form, but even from then on, there is no explanation for the changes in that allegedly happen, that allowed one kind of animal turn into another.

For one thing, you confuse abiogenesis with evolution.  Abiogenesis is not a pre-requisite for evolution.  Evolution would still happen even if a god or gods were to create the world in the manner that it is.  If you're going to try to refute evolution with macro/micro-evolution or the commonly misapplied 2nd law of thermodynamics then you might as well not bother.  Neither are real science.

Sir, I have done a huge amount of study on the evolution/creation argument.  I am not confused.  What do you mean evolution would still happen?  It did not happen.  The only "evolution" that has happened is the variation within kinds, the micro-evolution you mentioned.  There is and has been no evidence of macro evolution, the change of one kind (baramin) to another.  There is no fossil evidence, and there is no feasible mechanism by which this could have occured.

Just answer this: DO you beleive the world is only 6,000 years old or something? Because if you do all your arguments will cease to be valid based on that.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 22:56
Hmm, unless i'm mistaken, young Earth creationists believe that the Earth is 10,000 years old.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 22:57
oh whatever, same crap, different el taco loco wrapper
-Alexander Hamilton
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 07:55

What do you mean evolution would still happen?  It did not happen.

Ahhh, but it did and still is happening.  If you had such a great understanding of evolution you would realize that it doesn't matter how life started, only that life started, for evolution to happen.

The only "evolution" that has happened is the variation within kinds, the micro-evolution you mentioned.

There is no such thing as micro-evolution though.  It was made up by creationists when they realized it would be ludicrous to argue against evolution completely because bacterias and similar organisms can evolve quite quickly in comparison to larger, more complex organisms (which is to be expected).

There is and has been no evidence of macro evolution, the change of one kind (baramin) to another.  There is no fossil evidence, and there is no feasible mechanism by which this could have occured.

Explain away the dinosaurs and other such creatures that lived millions of years ago.  No mechanism?  Do you not know about DNA and genetics?  Mutations and transcription errors and all sorts of other ways that DNA is copied differently than it should under perfect circumstances?

Look sir!

The variation seen now can only happen within the preexisting possiblities hardcoded into the DNA.  The DNA limits what can happen.  This is the reason flower breeders cannot obtain certain colors of some flowers (like blue daffodils).  This is the reason why dogs produce nothing but dogs.  The genes allow certain variation, and the possibilities are NOT altered by breeding.  They can be altered by mutation, but no one has EVER seen a mutation that increased genetic information.  It only loses part.

And dinosaurs did not live millions of years ago.  They lived for the most part before the flood, and gave rise to the dragon myths after the flood.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 07:58
Originally posted by Tobodai

Just answer this: DO you beleive the world is only 6,000 years old or something? Because if you do all your arguments will cease to be valid based on that.

Yes.  And my agumants do not cease to be valid.  Numerous geologic clocks indicate short spans of time.  The only dating system that gives much longer times are some of the radiometric dating systems, which incidently require making numerous assumptions that should not be made. 

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 08:01

Here.  If anyone wants to look at Creationist sites, go to my website and look under Creation:

http://coecs.ou.edu/Daniel.S.Myers/Creation.htm

They are perfectly logical.  I cannot vouch for all of them, not having looked through all of them in depth, but from what I have seen I agree with them.  Try Answers in Genesis first--excellent articles.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 13:49
Originally posted by DSMyers1

Originally posted by Tobodai

Yes.  And my agumants do not cease to be valid.  Numerous geologic clocks indicate short spans of time.  The only dating system that gives much longer times are some of the radiometric dating systems, which incidently require making numerous assumptions that should not be made. 

Theres one thing that definatively proves you are wrong without a doubt.  Light years.  Each light year is the time it takes for light to travel in a year, each light year distant we see is a year in the past.  We can see BILLIONS of light years out into speace, therefore seeing billions of years into the past. 

-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 14:33

Denying the existence of evolution is the same as denying the existence of gravity.

Actually replacing the existense of evolution is the same as replacing the existence of gravity. Whose to say we're not all attached to the earth by invisible strings. Can you prove that wrong?

Theres one thing that definatively proves you are wrong without a doubt.  Light years.  Each light year is the time it takes for light to travel in a year, each light year distant we see is a year in the past.  We can see BILLIONS of light years out into speace, therefore seeing billions of years into the past. 

And tell me Tobodai, what proves that specks of light in the sky aren't candles. Put in the sky by a supreme creator who makes them appear as if they were billions of light years away. Whose to say that are sky doesn't reach out past our solar system (nothings gone past it yet). Give me a good example and don't base it upon the assumptions and guesses of scientists (non-religious ministers).

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:16
And tell me Tobodai, what proves that specks of light in the sky aren't candles.

The Solar wind would blow them out.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:18

dont tell me you by that crock of sheisse too!

well lets see now, space certainly extends beyond the solar system because alot of old probes have flown outside of our most outer regions and left the gravity of the sun once they were diactivated, our instruments and measurement makers can cleary detect more than visual residue when things such as pulsars show up, including the many cosmic particles that come in waves from such things and collide with Earth, thats certainly more than visual flair.  I also dont think candles in the sky would folllow orbiatal patterns and have little planets orbiting them that effect their gravitiational pull.

Its also pretty damn strange to think all that vastness is just some tableau for our own amusement, its likely we are jsut one of many specks of life throughout teh universe and theres no proof we have a special social system in any way.

Theres one point you may have though, that human kind will never pass out of the soalr system before we end up blowing ourselves up, but the reason is that we are surrounded by large ice fragments that would be a danger too a person pioting something out there, it wouldnt exactly be liek a Star Wars astroid field, but still quite an obstacle 

-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:36

No I'm don't buy it. It's just you have to open your mind to other theories. You can't just take for granted the "truths" about our world that we are led to believe. If you do those scientists to you are no different than creationist preachers. Open your mind instead of your eyes.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:40
Originally posted by JanusRook

No I'm don't buy it. It's just you have to open your mind to other theories. You can't just take for granted the "truths" about our world that we are led to believe. If you do those scientists to you are no different than creationist preachers. Open your mind instead of your eyes.

your making way to many assumptions about here now, as I stated before I do not worship evolution nor take all science as truth, my argument is not that the scientist knows all or can know all, its that he at least (most of the time) looks for evidence, rather than using a dusty old tome, although I do admit some scientists just believe things they accept as standard truths without a re-evaluation.

Also I have said before that just because I dont believe in religion, doenst autopmatically mean I worship at the science altar either.

-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:48

your making way to many assumptions about here now, as I stated before I do not worship evolution nor take all science as truth, my argument is not that the scientist knows all or can know all, its that he at least (most of the time) looks for evidence, rather than using a dusty old tome, although I do admit some scientists just believe things they accept as standard truths without a re-evaluation.

I never said you specifically took science at face value, it's just some people do.

Also you'd be surprised but scientists that believe in creationism don't rely on the bible to prove their point but instead rely on facts and data that they have accumulated in the lab or in the field. If you get rid of a lot of assumptions of evolutionists and replace them with the assumtions of creationists then it makes a lot of sense. Of course both are just assumptions so......

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 17:52

yes thats what I think, they both are just assumptions, though there certainly is an existence of Darwinian theory, ever heard of Lucy from Ethiopia I think it was?  Though I agree there are foten too few links found in this chain, there still are some, like the horse that used to be small and silly and live in Montana.

ALso crops and agriculture just by human intervention ca n face a sort of natural (or unnatural) selection in a small amount of time.  Personally Ibeliev in evolution, but not the orthodoxy that states everything is randomized, we dont find things that maladaptive, I think its an evolution based on part chance but mostly a slow but deliberate process of adaptation or migration to ones enviroment not by some selection, but purely based on need.  God Im bad explaining things.

-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>