Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if?????
    Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 09:25
Why the Norman didnot change the name of the island after they conqured it they defeated the Anglo-saxon what after that ?

The Normans were French-Latin speakers, and used the Latin name Britannia as the base for their name for the Island. The modern name, Great Britian, is simply the Anglisation of the name the Normans used - Grand Bretagne (literaly Greater or Big Britannia) as opposed to Britanny, or Bretagne (regular, or little Britannia, on account of the Brythonic people living there presumably) as its called in French.
So they didn't rename the island, but rather kept with the naming tradition that goes back to pre-Roman times, but did introdice their interpretation of the name, which was then re-interpreted into English as Great Britain.
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 10:10
Originally posted by Belisarius

True, though perhaps I was not clear when said 'major European power'. What I meant was Britain as a dominant world colonial force, as Eurocentric as that may sound.

Precisely my point is that the Norman feudal interfernce in British affairs, using England as source of manpower for their dynastical quarrels in France actually retarded the potential for colonial expansion of England-Britain. If England wouldn't have been tied in French wars since 1314 to 1558, when the last British enclave in the mainland, Calais, was conquered by the French, they would have had more free time and resources to make expeditions to the newly discovered lands and possibly North American colonization and British colonization elsewhere would have started earlier. So I actually suspect that the Norman influence was rather negative for England in this matter.

It can be seen as positive for other potential rivals of France, though, as this country, the most populated and rich of all Europe at the time, had its hands full with the Anglo-Normans. Else the French might have tried to domnate all mainland Europe or something.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 17:26
Originally posted by Belisarius

Normans as bad guys, eaglecap? Sure they might have been base, heartless mercenaries, but bad guys?

The Norman invasion brought Britain back to Europe. For years the
island was a 'Europe' of its own, with many factions struggling for
supremacy. The Normans united most of it and took the first steps into
making it a first-class power.

Just a little sarcasm Belisarius. Having a little French and English ancestry they could easily be my ancestors. I went through the posts and agree with much of what you have said.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12