Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone play Diplomacy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone play Diplomacy?
    Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 17:39
How many more players do we need, Maju? I count four; does this sound right?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 17:57
The playable powers are (as listed above):
- England (actually UK but the designers called it England - E)
- France (F)
- Germany (G)
- Russia (R)
- Austria-Hungary (A or AH)
- Italy (I)
- Turkey (T)

Sorry but there are no USA or Belgium as playable powers in Standard Diplomacy.

You can conquer Belgium though, specially if you play France, Germany or England.

As I said before, all players should PM me with:
- An email adress (not compulsory but highly recommended, else you can only diplomate through PMs when you visit the forum)
- A list of prefered powers (again not necessary but, if you don't have preferences, you probably end with the less wanted country).

The first 7 candidates to PM me with those requirements will start the game. If we have 14 players we could play two simultaneous games but, anyhow, I'll  keep  the  late candidates as observers (posting them the adjudications too) and they could replace any player that fails to submit orders (I have still to figure out how to regulate this but I will also post the "house rules" for this game later on).

So far I count 5 players:
- Zagros (the only one to have submitted email and preferences so far)
- Hugostr
- The General
- Emperor Barbarossa
- Poirot

Did I skip anyone?

We need then at least two more.

As soon as I have notice from the first 7 players I will open a new topic exclussively for the game and will email you all as well, with the adresses of all players, GM and observers. If several players have asked for the same preferential countries, it will be solved randomly. I suggest you send full ordered lists of countries as in the following example:
1. Italy
2. Austria-Hungary
3. Germany
4. Turkey
5. England
6. Russia
7. France

That way I can try to give you your 1st preference, if this can't be, the second, etc.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 21:54
At this moment, I have 3 confirmed: Zagros, Emperor Barbarossa and The General. Slowly but steadily... 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 22:23
I will go if you promise to give me the absolute silliest country available. 
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 22:42
Originally posted by Tobodai

You are encouraged to send a set of preferences in your confirmation PM (to me), along with an email adress (to conduct diplomacy, recieve the adjudications, send your orders from a "validated" adress, etc.)

If you want my advise, I would say the "silliest" (and also the most difficult) may be Italy. Of the others, I think that the three western powers, France, England and Germany, are kind of more "serious" and solid options (but all them have their pros and cons). Eastern powers instead, due to the difficulties of the Balcanic conflict ar more likely to suffer silly happenings. Still the game is pretty well balanced, so all have their options: a "bad" country in good hands can do very well and vice versa.

I think you will like the game due to its crude realpolitikal nature: alliances are important but only one can win (though I may soften the victory conditions in order to have a shorter game), so stabbing in the adequate time and form is also important.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 22:55
With Poirot we have 4 confirmed plus 2 (Hugostr and Tobodai) without confirmation yet. We would need at least one more.

So far preferences are not coincidental, so you may all get your first option.

One question: should we have a quick game or a full game (that can last up to a year)? The "quick game" would still be pretty long: about 5 months if everything goes ok (though, obviously, you can be the odd man out and be elimnated in a few weeks - that's a risk that we all must accept).

If we play the short version what do you prefer:
  1. A 10 years' game (20 seasons/turns)
  2. A predetermined number of centers, like 12
Would you agree that non-winning powers that reach a minmum of SCs (9?) would achieve a "minor" or "partial victory" when the game reachs its end? This is not very usual but I think it has some justification if the game is not won by the rule of controlling half+1 of the board. In a normal full game, if one power has 12 SCs and another has 9 or 10, they are still pretty balanced and any of the two has about the same chances to achieve the final victory of 18.

Well, post your opinions on this, please. If I recieve no opinions, I will decide the 12 centers victory, with minor victories for those that have at least 9 SCs (my favorite option).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 23:22
Maju,

Let's play to 1910 or 12 centers, whatever happens first.

Since many people will be playing for the first time, Let's strive to keep it short. By then most players will know the rules better, understand the pace of the game, and will be ready for a real game.

This way, if some players got in a very bad situation due to their inexperience, the pain will be short, and they will be ready to play better next time
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 23:23
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Tobodai

You are encouraged to send a set of preferences in your confirmation PM
(to me), along with an email adress (to conduct diplomacy, recieve the
adjudications, send your orders from a "validated" adress, etc.)

If you want my advise, I would say the "silliest" (and also the most
difficult) may be Italy. Of the others, I think that the three western
powers, France, England and Germany, are kind of more "serious" and
solid options (but all them have their pros and cons). Eastern powers
instead, due to the difficulties of the Balcanic conflict ar more
likely to suffer silly happenings. Still the game is pretty well
balanced, so all have their options: a "bad" country in good hands can
do very well and vice versa.

I think you will like the game due to its crude realpolitikal nature:
alliances are important but only one can win (though I may soften the
victory conditions in order to have a shorter game), so stabbing in the
adequate time and form is also important. }

Give him Italy, and watch how this devil wins the game!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 23:30
Hugo: I still intend to hold one full game year with deadlines of 48 hrs. to get the feeling of the game prior to the true game. I won't just put a bunch of newbies to clash heads without realizing the importance of the order "support".

My plan is, once we have the 7 players, start a training of one full game-year with different powers than you will be playing in the true game (this will take about one week). After that, we can start the true game with some guarantees.
_____

Btw, Hugo has confirmed his participation but he fears he, being experienced, would have much advantage, so he is willing to leave his position to another player or to pick the less wanted country.

In any case we have 5 confirmed players already, Tobodai could be the 6th and we are still in need of at least one more.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:57

Aren't you playing Maju? Or does not the game master play?

Ottoman empire (Turkey) is my favourite btw.

Edited by Zagros
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 09:33
I'd like to play, but I've only played it once, and am not very comfortable with the rules. Is that a problem?
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 10:37
Shouldn't be, I've never played before at all.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 11:50

Maju:

If you need another, I will give it a try.

My choice would be Austria-Hungary, if available.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:42
This instruction is a bit far away, so I will repeat it:
To confirm your place, PM Maju and include your email address and a list of the countries in order of preference.

That will secure your place in the game.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:21

Originally posted by hugoestr

This instruction is a bit far away, so I will repeat it:
To confirm your place, PM Maju and include your email address and a list of the countries in order of preference.

That will secure your place in the game.

I had seen Maju's instructions, and answered as he requested.  Thanks. 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 17:41
Confirmed so far:
  • Zagros
  • Emperor Barbarossa
  • Thegeneral
  • Poirot
  • Hugoestr
  • Pikeshot1600
Tobodai, Mixcoatl or whoever PMs me first will get the 7th place. If I get 2 notes in +/- the same time, I can place both, as Hugoestr has said that he prefers to be an observer (because he fears he will beat the rest too easily - that's something still to prove anyhow).

Once I have the 7 players I will start a new topic for the training game (this should take about 1 week) and then another one for he true game. I will assign the powers following your preferences (I can't beleive it: no conflicts in the preferences so far! ) and will give you also a different power (your second or third preference) for the training game (so the training doesn't interfere with the real game).

Originally posted by Zagros

Aren't you playing Maju? Or does not the game master play?

Normally the game master doesn't play, specially in PBEM games: I will be seeing all your orders, so it wouldn't be fair.

In face-to-face games though the GM can be one of the players (the orders would be deposited in a box or hat and nobody would see them before all are in). I've seen once one PBEM game in which the GM actually played but it requires lots of trust and is not anything usual.

Anyhow, I will be happy GMing this one and maybe, if we gather enough enthusiasts, we can start another one later on and Hugoestr could GM instead (and I would play then).

Originally posted by Zagros

Ottoman empire (Turkey) is my favourite btw.

Noticed.

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I'd like to play, but I've only played it once, and am not very comfortable with the rules. Is that a problem?

Not actually: most of the players will be novice and, for that reason, we will be having a training mini-game of one game-year (two regular turns plus the winter phase) with very short turns to learn the basics before starting the true game. So please PM me with an email adress and your preferences and we can start with the training.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 20:06
We have the seven players finally! The training game has started: AE-Dip-00.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 23:31
Tobodai, Mixcoatl or whoever PMs me first will get the 7th place. If I get 2 notes in +/- the same time, I can place both, as Hugoestr has said that he prefers to be an observer (because he fears he will beat the rest too easily - that's something still to prove anyhow).

I wish I could be that confident of my playing skills.

My reluctance to play is more because it give the appearence of unfairness.

I also remember how in my first game the person who won was a person who had played it just one time before. While we newbies were making mistake after mistake--based on our weak understanding of the rules--, he went on to easily win the game

I am just a poor player who loves this game. If my playing will help others to love the game too, so be it.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 15:00
So modest, will you have that attitude when you march into neighboring countries?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 21:46
Originally posted by Thegeneral

So modest, will you have that attitude when you march into neighboring countries?

You know I wouldn't have the heart to do such a thing. I will play with the same timidity that I display in our intellectual forum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>