Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Music: Turkish zeybeks and Greek zeibekiko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music: Turkish zeybeks and Greek zeibekiko
    Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 07:15
Originally posted by Alparslan1071

i love rembetiko and bambarakis.But i do not understand what he says.
Frangosyrani for example.Any greek friend translate it parakalo?I know that he is half orthodox half catholic.

Quite simple lyrics:

There's a flame in my heart
as if you have bewitched me, sweet girl from Syros (Frangosyriani-by "Frango" means catholic-half the island's population is Catholic)

I'll come to meet you down by the sea-side
I'd like to cover you with kisses and caress you

We'll go to Finika, Parakopi
Yalisa and Delagratsia, even if I'll have a heart attack.

At Pateli, at Nihori, great time at Alithini
and at Pisko it's romantic my sweet Frangosyriani.
(twice)
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 02:06
Originally posted by kotumeyil

By the way, if you can find a zeibekiko dance video, it would be very nice

Great dancer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRzLKVbjhdM
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 00:52
Yiannis, Efharisto Poli.Very nice words.I find very similar those all rembetiko song to old turkish songs.
Sean_85 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sean_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 23:12
This is fantastic! This discussion has been going on for over a year and people are still posting! Never have I found so much discussion, interest and information on the origins of Greek zeimbekiko and Turkish Zeybek music, it has such a rich and colourful history.

In Greece this music is still extremely popular today, hit songs with the zeimbekiko beat are topping the charts more than ever. People old and young in Greece and Greek communities throughout the world continue dancing to this music in Taverna's, clubs, bars, parties, concerts and festivals. Some modern zeimbekiko songs seem to becoming very westernised yet others are sounding more Turkish than ever, when I say Turkish I mean the style of singing, not so much the background music. In Greece the zeimbekika seems to have developed into part of the pop culture where as in Turkey it appears to be preserved more as folklore, not that I'm an expert.

I don't know how to post links but if anyone would like to download some great samples which show some Commercial modern Greek zeimbekiko songs here are a few...

Themis Adamantidis - Ma Pou na pao

Nikos Kourkoulis - Tis Zoeismou Ta Feggaria

Pashalis Terzis - Fevgontas

Pashalis Terzis - Epistrofes

Anna Vissi - Na Se Kala

Make sure you use the right spelling!
These are just a few songs which show the variants of what zeimbekika has become. Who knows what the future for this music is! In 10 years time the Greek variation may have developed into something entirely different, where as in Turkey it may very well be perfectly preserved as a folk dance piece barely changed from when the true zeybeks danced with their swords in the 13th century.

Please keep your posts coming people!

Sean_85 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sean_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 23:22
Sorry it is Pashalis Terzis - Epistrofes Katastrofes
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 09:17
hi sean, welcome to the 'good part' of the AE communitySmile, yes there is the  flames in other discussions but ouitside of that, there are some very respectful members from both sides of the aegean and one of the reasons why i keep coming back.

i had time to kill 2 years ago and i was in a greek music store and with 2 hours spare i found pashalis best of album (heard of him only a little  b4) all i can say is im hooked and became a instant fan.

Edited by Leonidas - 11-Oct-2006 at 09:26
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 12:04
uhm uhm sorry it hasnt anything todo with zeybek or zeimbekiko(?) but its worth watching, anatolian fire eurovision performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWoU8s08piY

Edited by DayI - 11-Oct-2006 at 12:05
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 15:35

Hi, it's nice that people are still interested in this topicSmile

There are some new zeybek videos on youtube. In this one two young men dance with a famous zeybek (coketrme) in a wedding or meeting without a coreography:

The following videos show how zeybeks (bandits) dance together with a coreography. This one shows 4 zeybek dances; 1-Ssl Jandarma 2-Zaide 3-Kostak Ali 4-Hantuman:

I don't know the name of the following dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-ZcPmlYPk&mode=related&search=

This is Bozdogan Serenler zeybegi:

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 15:45
Uskudara gideriken is an ancient byzantian song. But all balkan countries claim it as their own (bulgaria, serbia, bosnia, etc) so even if origins are dim it is certainly widespread. The chorus was even ripped by Boney M with their 70ies discohit "Rasputin". There are many versions, Eartha Kitt made one where she sings in Turkish.

"Uskudara giderken" is actually an Ottoman song, Uskudar (Greek Scutari,Chrysoupolis) was actually under Ottoman rule 100 years before Istanbul.

The song "Uskudara Giderken" is a Mehter Band millitary march song and is famous across Europe because they sung it everywhere they wentSmile

p.s Great thread, keep the tunes comming.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sean_85 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sean_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 22:20
To Kotumeyill, I watched those zeybek links they were great... Have u seen any of the modern Greek Zeimbekika being danced? The style has been changed quite a bit.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 05:29
thanks kotumeyil

is a zebek mean bandit orgianlly?

edit: is there any history on orgins, pictures on this dancing?

edit 2: i reconise alot of the moves (in the second link, i think the 'zaidi') though it is more restrained version

dayI i like the bellydancersThumbs Up

Edited by Leonidas - 12-Oct-2006 at 05:59
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:26
Originally posted by Sean 85

To Kotumeyill, I watched those zeybek links they were great... Have u seen any of the modern Greek Zeimbekika being danced? The style has been changed quite a bit.

Yes I've seen Sean. As you said before, in Turkey zeybek dances are more preserved as a folkloric dance.

@ Leonidas, yes, zeybek is the name of this type of music, dance and the bandits. Their chief is called "efe" like Chakici Mehmet Efe, who is also mentioned in some Greek zeimbekikos.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 14:13
Zeybek dance has a very interesting story, its danced in such a vast geographical area, from the Altay in Central/Eastern Asia to Greece.

Zeybek in old Turkic has a meaning of "protective armour".

Also there is a name Saybek.

Say = Strong/Sturdy/Compact
Bek = A title of honour

In Western Anatolia the Turks had a regional accent where they say S as Z so it became Zaybek.

There was a Aydin Beylik, Gazi Mentese, a leader of which was recorded as being Saybek Mantasa.

Its most likely from this derivation

Also Efe's who were Robin Hood type characters, greatly respected by the public. The Oghuz had an old tradition being the "Segmen(prnounced Seymen) tradition, famous Efe's used this tradition. The Efe's were due to their activities sometimes known as "bandits". There dance became the dance of the bandits.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 06:32
found some of pasxalis terzis video clips

here are my picks

Afise me mono
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CITT91Bhuec

Paliokairos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JafQWX4Uds

Feugontas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqTpD8o6dtI

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:55
Thank you for the videos LeonidasSmile. The following is the Youtube link for a nice zeybek (I gave it before). The dancing man is Stelyo Berber. AFAIK he's the nephew of Patriarch Bartholomeos:

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 09:22
gezz i didnt see that one before. man that could be anywhere in greece.Cry

(my fav song in my last post was the middle one)

BTW im very angry,  work just cut out youtubeAngry and i cant show a coople of greeks our videos
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 17:33
hey guys in this thread there are several Turkish and Greek music, enjoy it.

sorry i forgot to add link
http://forum.arbuz.com/showthread.php?t=32880

Edited by DayI - 26-Oct-2006 at 17:54
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 08:19
Dayi, you need a login to see that threadUnhappy
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 17:56
Originally posted by Leonidas

Dayi, you need a login to see that threadUnhappy
ah sh*t i know, its because of that idiot admin out there :(
I only give the link of that forum because if i gave whole links to the music i'll make here an warez-forum.
Leonidas, it is maybe worth for you to register there...

Greek Rebetika Songs
A collection of songs with the legendary composers and players
Vasilis Tsistanis, Giannis Papaionaou and others

Vasilis Tsitsanis 2nd with the Bouzouki

Biography

Giannis Papaioanou 3rd with his Bouzouki

Rebetiko
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Rebetika)
Jump to: navigation, search
Rebetiko, plural rebetika, (Greek ρεμπέτικο and ρεμπέτικα respectively) is the name for a type of urban Greek music.

Rebetika were the songs of the Greek underworld, sung by the so-called rebetes (Greek: ρεμπέτης). Rebetes were unconventional people who lived outside the social order. They first appeared after the Greek War of Independence of 1821.

The songs, often compared to genres like American blues, are full of grief, passion, romance, and bitterness. They are generally melancholic songs telling of the misfortunes of simple ordinary men. Many early rebetic songs were about drugs, especially Hashish which led Rebetiko to be criminalized. Not until 1947, when Manos Hadjidakis indtroduced Rebetika to the upper classes, were these songs accepted as a music style. Damianakos Stathis noted that the rebetic songs of the first period were mostly the singing expression of lumpenproletariat. A lot of the rebetika songs are for dancing. Nearly half are zeibekiko, the remainder are hasapiko.

http://rapidshare.com/files/586833/L...Songs.rar.html

Code: MIDILLI

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 17:58
ZEYBEKLER 2002

Klarinet SOMALI MUSTAFA
Asma Davul BERGAMALI MESUT
Trompet ARAP

01 - Zeybekler - Harmandali
02 - Zeybekler - Aydin Zeybegi
03 - Zeybekler - Mugla Zeybegi
04 - Zeybekler - Cokertme
05 - Zeybekler - Vardar Ovasi
06 - Zeybekler - Aslan Mustafam
07 - Zeybekler - Ormanci
08 - Zeybekler - Sabah Guvende
09 - Zeybekler - Tavas Zeybegi
10 - Zeybekler - Soma Zeybegi
11 - Zeybekler - Zeytinyagli
12 - Zeybekler - Cifte Telli

http://rapidshare.com/files/457953/Z..._2002.rar.html
Code: MIDILLI

i'll give the credits to "skopelos" who uploaded those.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>