Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cannibalism!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cannibalism!!!
    Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:15

I just saw the movie "ravenous". It got me thinking of the human mind or then ancient instincts if we are discussing eating a human or certain parts of a human to nurish our hunger. In what periods of history, or in what twisted cases will a man kill another man with his fingers and teeth to live on himself.

Is that the ultimate proof that everyone eventually will look after themselves and the stronger makes it?

In certain cultures, eating human flesh is normal and may even be occuring today, but can you call that as a barbarian act? As i see it, that is not an atrocity but when a peasant in an 18th century French village for an example eats his wife of hunger, that is an atrocity. Do you see things that way? I am saying that if a  North American indian eats his enemy's heart or whatever part of his body, that is a part of  their culture and can't be called uncivilized or barbaric for it is normal in every aspect of their lives. The indian won't be afraid to go to battle in the fear of being eaten an he himself desires to eat the opponents heart. Then in the other hand when a soldier of the Grand Armee of Napoleon in the winter of 1812 in Russia is waiting for his comrade to die and then eat him then that is an act of terror or despair. As freaky it would be for us, we are all cannibals in the very end. 

Bring me some examples of cannibalism in world history and etc..... 

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:28
That plane that crashed in Argintina carrying a rugby team, a movie, Alive is based on it.
Recently in the Congo, canibalism as an aspect of warfare (eating captured enemies), has cropped up (been practiced on and off as a tool of intimidation during warfare for a long ass time there).
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:30
It was said that the Aztecs were devout cannibals, eating human flesh as it were normal food, but that's Spansh anti-Aztec propaganda.
It is possible though that sometimes human flesh was eaten in rituals. Furthermore it is possible that during the siege of Tenochtitlan there was cannbalism, but that's because the people were starving.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:35
IIRC, the Aztecs just bit the hearts of their victems, just a symbolic gesture, not true canibalism.
Arrrgh!!"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:44

Ya, theres symbolic gestures like that such as eating the enemies eyes so as to gain his wisdom and see what he sees, etc. Recently, anyway, the only true cannibalism has occured in life or death situations, such as being stranded on a boat in the middle of nowhere. There was some English ship that went off-course and got lost, and part of the crew were forced to eat the dead. I think it was sometime in the 1800's, but i cant remember exactly when. But i think the men were charged and taken to jail, if i recall correctly.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:47
IIRC the men on Scott's south pole expedition also started to eat the dead, and they even killed one so they could eat him.

Furthermore the dictators Jean-Bedel Bokassa and Idi Amin were said to be cannibls.

And of course there is the man from Germany who ate parts of someone he found via Internet.

Edited by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:58
And a Japanese student who ate a Dutch woman in France about a decade ago.
I think most recent acts of canibalism you'll find are bizare murders, whether ritual, or some one off fetish, rather than part of a wider cultural thing.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 17:15
cannibalism is neat, I think when my defeated enemies are brought to me in the future, I will eat them.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 20:34
Which part will you eat first?
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply