Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XI, Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XI, Part 1
    Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:21
I think you are making it worse
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:25
Lol, so sorry. I'll do a better job question selecting next time.

This was the great capital of a great European empire. The city was named after the beloved wife of its ruler. What is the name of this city?

"its ruler" is unclear whether it refers to the ruler of the empire or the ruler of the city. Because of that, I've decided to give credit for the capitals questions to another city besides the answer the author original gave.

I've also recieve some other answers that were very close, but I would say that they do not quite fit the criteria. One of them, was a capital, but only after Roman occupation. The other, although an important administrative city, was not "the capital."

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 09:24
You know, Imperator, it's perfectly in line with TQ tradition that the moderator could and should edit or add hints if he thinks that a question is too difficult, or badly formulated, etc.
I did sometimes, and so TJK and other ones.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 11:37
Ok, I'll keep that in mind next time. 
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 13:48
Q11. This was the great capital of a great European empire. The city was named after the beloved wife of its ruler. What is the name of this city? (by cavalry4ever)

Answer:
Medina Azahara or Medina Al-Zahara, capital of the Western Caliphate. The city of Cordoba was the previous capital.
Note: I also accepted Nicaea for this question, since it was named for the wife of Lysimachus, and it was a relocation of a "European Empire." The Empire of Nicaea itself had possessions in Europe, so I think it's enough for a stretch, at least not far from the Caliphate of Cordoba being considered European.
Answered By: Dawn, Aeolus

Q12.
As a Prince, he struggled to hold his inherited homelands. As an outcast, he rallied his men and returned to power in foreign lands. As a poet, he composed his autobiography to remind future generations of his hardships and victories. As a man, he was one of the greatest of his time. Who was he? (by Imperator Invictus)

Answer:
Zahir-ud-din Mohammad Babur "Tiger" (or more accurately, "Beaver"), founder of the Mughul Dynasty. Having lost his homelands, he went south and defeated the Delhi Sultanate, eventually consolidating his rule as the Mughul Empire. The Baburnama is his autobiography which tells the story of his life and comapaigns.

Well, that's it! I hope you enjoyed it. 

So what did you think of the questions, their topics, style and difficulty?

Stay tuned for awards, Still to come!

...and there's still the "Best questions" vote. I wonder if anyone will vote for Q11. lol

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 14:30

About Q14...

Before the hint of the second round i was certain that he was Charles of Orleans. He had all the qualifications...Prince, poet, autobiography but after the hint of the "nickname" the closest prince/poet/famous with a nickname of an animal, i could find was Richard I the Lionheart even though except from his rather horrible poetry i couldnt spot any autobiography.  

Anyway congrats to all of you guys!

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 20:53

Here is the link about bombing Berlin by the French in 1940.

http://blinkynet.net/wwii/verne.html

BTW - why was ther other answer accepted? Wasnt the french raid in 1940 the first allied boming raid on Berlin? I cant find any info on that.

Edited by Mosquito
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 21:42

I'll see if I can find the info for the polish one again.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 23:02
So far i know Poland didnt bomb Berlin in 1939 and the french raid was first.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 15:50

now I can't find it - it was some opscure entry somewhere - I'll keep looking - IIRC it was a very small raid only a few planes but my history was so long for that day it will take me a long while to go through it all.

As to best question I liked question #5 just cause it such unusual trivia.

Points about the other questions ; a couple of them where very close to previous quiz questions and that through me abit not expecting answers that where the same or similair to past ones.

question 12 - the people with one thing in common -I saw questions on another site simmilar to it and thought it would be a nice change fome our typical riddle type questions. What did you guys think?

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 17:14
Originally posted by yan.

He was born the son of a humble craftsman in Holland. His profession took him all over Europe and in the country, in which he died, a title was bestowed on him, that wouldnt be given to another foreigner for many a year. He is not well known under his birth name. and even more famous is an old school friend of his. Who is he and whats his friends name? (by Komnenos)
Answer: Pope Adrian VI (Adrianus Florentius) and Erasmus of Rotterdam. He was the only Dutch pope and the last non-Italian till the current one."

I'm pretty sure Karol Wojtyla wasn't Italian either.

The question was written before John Paul II's death and not amended accordingly.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 20:42

Great quiz, but I must say that I'm a bit dissapointed in some of the questions. Question 11 in particular, I find misleading. Medina Al-Zahara was not a city per se, but rather a great palace-city built in Cordoba. Cordoba was indeed a great city (of a great "empire" - and even that is disputable), but Medina Al-Zahara did not really fit that description. It's kind of like saying that Versailles was the capital of France, when it was only a palace, and Paris was the real city capital. Actually even that comparison is flawed, since Versailles was quite a bit farther from Paris than Medina Al-Zahara was from Cordoba.

Now don't get me wrong, the question is good and interesting, but perhaps the moderators could do a little bit of brushing up the wording. The clues were misleading as well...

Anyway, Dawn, congratulations on a good win. I hope to beat you on the next one. I kind of gave up after spending way too much time looking for answers on the internet... Your idea of people that have things in common is pretty good.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 02:33
It's always difficult to verify answers to historical questions. Still good quiz and well run by Imperator Invictus.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 10:58
for my first 'Total Quix' i think i did fairly well. kind of puts into retrospect how little i actually know compared to some of the other members.

good work guys. and congtrats Dawn
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 14:57

A little late since my internet connection at my house crashed...

Moderator Awards:
To Aeolus for scoring the highest of first time participants!

Main Award -

Winner of Total Quiz X part 4 for... Dawn!

Congratulations to all winners!

I'll try to "background check" some of the questions next time.  I think that particular question, No. 11 looked appealing to me because of calling the empire "European." 

This site contains something about Poland bombing Berlin:
http://www.mingayhistory.co.uk/norman's_war_journal.htm

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 19:14
Thank you guys for a great game You gave me a run for my money so to speak. congrates to Aeolus and the rest of the new comers for playing so well.  Achillies it doesn't mean we know more just that we read fast and can use google well.  Decebal I look forward to you trying.  (psst the way to win is submit questions)  A speical thanks to Imperator Invictus for running. Good job   BTW long time ago somebody told me that if I finally won I got some kind of icon to put by my name, do I get one yet

Edited by Dawn
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 12:06
BTW long time ago somebody told me that if I finally won I got some kind of icon to put by my name, do I get one yet

Never heard of that before - we used to have a member title "winner of total quiz" but that was discontinued a long time ago. I suppose I can make an icon thing.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 13:57
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

"Wed. Sept 6th 1939

30 Polish planed bomb Berlin."

I dont know how to understand this sentence. 30 Poles made plan to bomb Berlin?

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 13:45
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I think the site may be fictional.

I read that the first time Berlin's air raid sirens went off in WWII was indeed in the beginning of sep. 39 (1st?), but that no bombs were thrown. It was only alleged that polish planes had overflown parts of the city.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 03:46
Quite nice one in the end

Edited by rider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>