Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

July 25th, 1461- Conquest of Trebizond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: July 25th, 1461- Conquest of Trebizond
    Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 08:07

Today is the anniversary of conquest of the last Roman city, Trebizond by the Ottoman Empire, Sultan Mehmet II Khan the Conquerer. I tought we can celebrate it with all people interested in.

Regards, Oguzoglu

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 08:17
Happy Anniversary, have a ball
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 08:54
You are invited too!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 09:09

Of course I am. My contribution is a short history of the city (Trapezounta in the original, Greek, name)

History

Originally founded as Trapezus by traders from Miletus (traditionally in 756 BC), the city was one of a number (about ten) of Milesian emporia, or trading colonies along the shores of the Black Sea. Others include Sinope, Abydos and Cyzicus (in the Dardanelles). Like most Greek colonies, the city was a small enclave of Greek life, and not an empire unto its own, in the later European sense of the word. When Xenophon and the "ten thousand" Greek mercenaries fighting their way out of Persia, reached Trapezus, it was the first Greek city they had reached (Xenophon, Anabasis, 5.5.10).

The city was added to the kingdom of Pontus by Mithridates VI Eupator and it became home port for the Pontic fleet.

When the kingdom was annexed to the Roman province of Galatia in 64-65 CE, the fleet simply passed to new commanders, becoming the Classis Pontica. Trapezus gained importance under Roman rule in the 1st century AD because from its roadstead a road over the Zigana Pass led to the Armenian frontier or the upper Euphrates valley. New roads were constructed from Persia and Mesopotamia under the rule of Vespasian, and Hadrian commissioned improvements to give the city a more structured harbor. A mithraeum now serves as a crypt for the church of Panaghia Theoskepastos in nearby Kizlara, east of the citadel and south of the modern harbor. The city was pillaged by the Goths in 258, and, although it was afterwards re-built, Trapezus did not recover until the trade route regained importance in the 8th to 10th centuries.

After the Fourth Crusade in 1204, a Byzantine successor state was founded there with support of Queen Tamar of Georgia, the Empire of Trebizond, which ruled part of the Black Sea coast from Trabzon until 1461, when its ruler, David, surrendered to Mehmed II, ruler of the Ottoman Empire. Following this takeover Mehmet sent many Turkish settlers into the area, but the old ethnic Armenian, Greek and Abkhaz communities remained. During the late Ottoman period, the city had a great Christian influence in terms of culture, and a wealthy merchant class who created several Western consulates.

Trebizond was captured during World War I by forces under the command of the Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolayevich of Russia. Following the Treaty of Sevres and subsequent Treaty of Lausanne, Trabzon has been in the hands of Turkey. The city is still a busy trading centre, more so after the collapse of the USSR, although the shipping industry fell into decline after the rail route between Ankara and Erzurum, and the road to Iran.

Trabzon is famous throughout Turkey for its anchovies, which are the main meal in many restaurants in the city. Major exports from Trabzon are hazelnuts and tea.

Geography

Trabzon has typical of a Black Sea climate, with rain the year round and temperatures reaching up to around 27C in the summer. Winters are cool and damp, and the lowest temperature is around 5C in January. The water temperature fluctuates between 10 - 20C throughout the year.

Etymology

Trabzon < Trabizon < Trapezounta < Trpapezus "Slave Market" in Greek (in Platon's texts; a variation of Trapez "table" + Ounta "toponomic suffix" in Greek

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 09:31
It spoils our party a bit, but what the heck, the world is big enough!
Congratulations anyway, don't overdo it!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:05

What a grim and pitiful end for the Grand Komnenos David Comnenus and his family.

I have always wondered what happened exactly at the walls of Trebizond City and Sinope when the Ottomans besieged the cities.  William Miller provides some details in his old book Trebizond: The Last Greek Empire.  David Comnenus capitulated in the end because of some rampant sedition in the Trapezuntine court.  However, there was some fighting that occured outside the walls of the cities.  Has anyone ever read about what the Trapezuntine  army looked like in terms of uniforms and equipment?  Did they have firearms and artillery?  It would seem that they would have gunpowder weapons because Trebizond was an economic center in the Black Sea.  What do you think?

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:34
 Its amazing Trebizond wasnt destroyed earlier, far weaker than the empire of Constantinople even if it wasnt a threat to the turks, the fact they allowed it to exist as long as it did is bizarre.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 14:25

well, they have not much reason to conquer Trabzon.

After conquest of Istanbul, Muhammet the conquerer wanted to finish all byzantium cities.

And anatolia was conquered later than Balkain, because of Turkic Beyliks. Ottomans didnt touch them until Beyazt 1, and than timur comes

Later Muhammet the conquerer took this beyliks.. Most probably this is reason for Trabzon long surviva.

By the way, armenians claim trabzon for their city also. But dont have much knowledge maybe armenian survival can help us about this topic.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 21:34
Read about what happened to the last Empress of Trebizond. I don't feel much sympathy for David Komnenos, a weak and foolish man who antagonized Mehmet II so unnecessarily it makes the head spin. After Trebizond was taken the Emperor and his sons were brought to Constantinople and killed by order of Mehmet. Their bodies were left outside the city walls for the dogs to eat. The last Empress went outside the walls and fended off the dogs. The woman had lost her husband and sons and in her grief built a hovel out of the dirt to shelter the unburied remains. There she stayed outside for three days without sustainance, keeping vigil on her deceased family before she herself expired in exhaustion and grief.

Sorry to put such a shadow over the celebrations but I found that account to be incredibly tragic. The conquest of Trebizond by that stage was an inevitability.

Edited by Constantine XI
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 02:26
I find it somewhat strange that the 'Byzantines' of Trebizond insisted on calling themselves an empire. There was no actually army, if you discount their mercenaries and perhaps their guards. The city of Trebizond itself was inhabited by only 4,000 people. Proud people, those Greeks.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 02:30

Constantine what he did? I mean David Komnenos?

and  you didnt cast any shadow over celebration. This is what happens at that times. At least their people spared.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 05:06
David Komnenos actually tried to threaten Mehmet II when Mehmet arrived in the area to assert his dominance. He thought that a rather quiant alliance of local powers would be sufficient to hold off Mehmet, which is utterly ridiculous. When David actually saw Mehmet's army, he surrendered quickly enough. On November 1st 1463 he was executed along with his sons, Mehmet suspected him of trying to organise a conspiracy.

I know for the Turks that the fall of Trebizond was the end of hundreds of years of struggle against a powerful rival and I do not mean to take anything away from them. By the primary sources of the day they fought hard and earnt it. I just find what happened to the last Byzantine Empress to be quite tragic.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 09:09

Originally posted by Constantine XI

The woman had lost her husband and sons and in her grief built a hovel out of the dirt to shelter the unburied remains. There she stayed outside for three days without sustainance, keeping vigil on her deceased family before she herself expired in exhaustion and grief.

That remind's me of Sophocles tragedy, Antigone.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 10:58
Armenians? Trebizond was ethnically consisted of Rums and Laz before the Turkish conquest.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 11:04

Yes, but I read at armenian from, There were armenians before the rums. Dont have much idea but. They called trabzon   as their city.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 11:06

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Trebizond was ethnically consisted of Rums .

Rums? What is this nationality?

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 11:14

we  call greeks who  live  in Turkey or Cyprus as Rum. And greek who live in Greece are Yunan.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 11:35
It was a Greek city with largeley Greek inhabitants. The Komneni were actually set up in Trebizond with the assistance of the Armenian Queen after the Fourth Crusade. The Armenians were important in that area of the world, but the city remained culturally Greek and was not Armenian.
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 17:48

Does anyone knows what kind of army the Trapezuntines had?

I gess they were much influenced by their turkish neighbours, but I would like to know what kind of clothes they wore, what kind of militaria, weapons, etc.

Sikander

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:09
Originally posted by Yiannis

That remind's me of Sophocles tragedy, Antigone.

Indeed, but then what is Byzantium but the longest and most fascinating of all Greek tragedies .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>