Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy does Serbia hold onto Montenegro?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does Serbia hold onto Montenegro?
    Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 01:04

In the country of Serbia and Montenegro, I noticed that the bigger population by alot are ther Serbians, and I was wondering why does Serbia stay with Montenegro? i was thinking because Montenegro has important position on a coast, and Serbia would not have this otherwise?

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 02:13

Its also historical and mainly economical, Without Montenegro Serbia loses a coast and a very popular tourist attraction. Historically, most of Serbia's history has surrounded Montenegro, even Milosovich comes from a Montenegrin tribe. While they have always been two different entities(Zeta was never really united with Serbia), the two's characteristics are very close to eachother. Today, most actual Montenegrins declare themselves Serbs, while the  minority(Albs and Bosniaks and a few Montenegrins) declare themselves minority or Montenegrins. Its 50% right now, but it will likley stay.

Culturally though, IMO, most Montenegrin have a culture every akin to Northern Albanians. People in Montenegro follow nearly the same Blood Feud stuff that is practiced in northern Albania. And on many occasions, mentions by italians were made that most of the merchants in the costal area were Albanian.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 18:08
Originally posted by TheodoreFelix

Its also historical and mainly economical, Without Montenegro Serbia loses a coast and a very popular tourist attraction. Historically, most of Serbia's history has surrounded Montenegro, even Milosovich comes from a Montenegrin tribe. While they have always been two different entities(Zeta was never really united with Serbia), the two's characteristics are very close to eachother. Today, most actual Montenegrins declare themselves Serbs, while the  minority(Albs and Bosniaks and a few Montenegrins) declare themselves minority or Montenegrins. Its 50% right now, but it will likley stay.

Culturally though, IMO, most Montenegrin have a culture every akin to Northern Albanians. People in Montenegro follow nearly the same Blood Feud stuff that is practiced in northern Albania. And on many occasions, mentions by italians were made that most of the merchants in the costal area were Albanian.

First of all, that tourist incomes thing...that's a joke-we could do just fine without it.

Second-they r Serbs-all the prominent montenegrins declared (and still do) as serbs...And yes, they share some (illyrian) customs with albanian, but their main traits r slavic-and they consider themselves as a part of slavic world.milosevic, Popovic, Petrovic, Boskovic,Milojevic, Jovanovic, Perovic,and many more surnames r montenegrin-i suggest u find a phonebook of belgrade and search this names (40000-60000 of jovanovic's alone!).Most of serbs have some near or distant ancestry in montenegro (including me)...

I would like that they remain with us...Why? Read a bit of history-we can't be separated.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 18:18
I won't get into the historical debate, it's kind of irrelevent.

I really don't know why Serbia holds on to Montenegro. Most Montenegrins, with the exception of a few minority enclaves in the Sandzak, want indepenence. Polls have shown as much as 90+ per cent support in some regions, with an overall, republic-wide average above 60 per cent.

Most Serbs believe they're supporting Montenegro and, despite it's tourism industry, economic data seems to support this.

I think they just hold on to it because they can. Why does Russia hold on to Belarus? Why is it so slow to let go of its neighbors? It doesn't really serve any dramatic purpose...?
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 19:15

I have read places that Montenegrins are as such Austrians and (Greek) Cypriots are to Germany and Greece. They have a distinct national spirit but still view themselves as Greeks or Germans. I have heard it is the same with Montenegrins/Serbs.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 04:10
Maybe the old flawed belief that landlocked countries can never be as prosperous.
Considering the existence of Switzerland, ist easy to be sceptical, there again, Switzerland hasn't gotten medival on its neighbours in recent memory so...
Arrrgh!!"
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 05:29

I prefere that they stay with us...And we're not holding on to them-infact many Serbs want an indep. Serbia...it's not one-sided.However-u can't really distinguish ''serbian'' from ''montenegrin'' surnames-we're heavily mixed-but the old montenegrins thought of themselves as serbs-they didn't think of serbo-mont. marriages as of a 'mixed' ones.Their cultural heritage is unsurprisingly serbian.

The whole issue is not that easy-suppose 60% of them votes for indep-what will those 40% do?Btw, their goverment is saying that actually only 115000 votes )out of 600000) is enough-meaning from 50% of all voters 50% has to vote for it -shows you their expectations, doesn't it?And they have been prosponing this referendum thing for years-why-what do u think?

90%-maybe in areas where mostly Muslims live...

And what tourism ?Most of the tourists r from serbia!!

The whole thing is a cover up of that mobster Djukanovic-he's wanted by the Italian police-he can't go anywhere abroad-some pm...

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 05:35

Originally posted by Cywr

Maybe the old flawed belief that landlocked countries can never be as prosperous.
Considering the existence of Switzerland, ist easy to be sceptical, there again, Switzerland hasn't gotten medival on its neighbours in recent memory so...

Warm water ports are still essential economically, otherwise you have to use other nations' ports which automatically puts you on the back foot, as any trade or political disputes could cut you off. As well as that, you have to pay premium rates and extra transportation on top of the strategic disadvantage (oil tankers etc).

Edited by Zagros
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 05:48
Serbia is closer to a seaport than Switzerland is AFAIK, plus they have the Danube (though Switzerland has the Rhine up to Basel).
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 06:01
I don't think Switzerland and Serbia being compared in that way is very pragmatic, given the geopolitical circumstances of the two nations.  If Switzerland has a dispute with Germany, Italy or France, it is highly unlikely that their trade would be blockaded, but Serbia and the Balkans is antoher story, not every part of the world is as stable as C Europe.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 06:09
True, and Serbia hasn't exactly helped in that department, which was part of my initial comment.
Arrrgh!!"
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 09:20
 To give wright to vote you must concerne even people who was born there and still have the land(house,familiy...) and now they are in Serbia and some one can call them self Serbian or Montenegrian,but their interest is  to have one not two passports.
 Ocasenly,my father was born on that fictional border,people  call him Serbian,Montenegrian.
 We have a land there and my interest is to not separate or makes borders between same nation. Eventualy we all are going in EU where borders allmost don't exist.
 But for EU is much easyer to negotiate with smaller countries then with bigger one.

When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 10:39

Many reasons make Serbia hold onto Montenegro as the members wrote above but I think the main reason is the relationship between the people in the area,The Montenegrins claim they are slav.

it is not like other cases(Bosnia,Macedonia,Croatia and other) it is an issue between same people settled in different two regions.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Many reasons make Serbia hold onto Montenegro as the members wrote above but I think the main reason is the relationship between the people in the area,The Montenegrins claim they are slav.

it is not like other cases(Bosnia,Macedonia,Croatia and other) it is an issue between same people settled in different two regions.

You are wright in one way,but if i might to complete you:
-Montenegrins in the past call themself-Serbs
-Today many others(even from outside) interests spreading in the country
-Bosnia was the same case too,but three diferent religons,a few diferent
  geopolitical interest made the problam wich Bosnia and Herzegivina is  
   faceing today. Look this link below where you can see that.
  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02694a.htm

mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 12:29
Originally posted by Surbel

Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

You are wright in one way,but if i might to complete you:
-Montenegrins in the past call themself-Serbs
-Today many others(even from outside) interests spreading in the country
-Bosnia was the same case too,but three diferent religons,a few diferent
  geopolitical interest made the problam wich Bosnia and Herzegivina is  
   faceing today. Look this link below where you can see that.
  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02694a.htm

are you trying to imply that Bosnians called themselves Serbs?

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 12:59
Not only that, teknique. That we actually are Serbs.

But let them play, seriously. I haven't responded to
one of his posts in a long time and I don't intend to.

Komnenos is the only one with a brain I've ever met
who believes it.

It just drives me crazy. You have a wealth of
information, covering centuries, linking Bosnia to
either Hungary, Croatia, or independence. Then you
have one passage from a King where he says his
language is Serbian - the same King who also said
his language was Croatian (twice) and said HE was
Bosnian. And from that little, tiny, fragment of
"Serbianness" they ignore the overall, CLEARLY
Western history.

Edited by Mila
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 13:09
He is... but other opinions suggest that they rather felt Croat or just Bosnian. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by Mila

Not only that, teknique. That we actually are Serbs.

But let them play, seriously. I haven't responded to
one of his posts in a long time and I don't intend to.

Komnenos is the only one with a brain I've ever met
who believes it.

It just drives me crazy. You have a wealth of
information, covering centuries, linking Bosnia to
either Hungary, Croatia, or independence. Then you
have one passage from a King where he says his
language is Serbian - the same King who also said
his language was Croatian (twice) and said HE was
Bosnian. And from that little, tiny, fragment of
"Serbianness" they ignore the overall, CLEARLY
Western history.

Bla bla bla,always  the same.
 I told you many many times,you can be what ever you want,but you can't change to history. I was born in "Bratsvo i jedinstvo" and i still have friends between Bosniaks,Croats.....
 Bosniaks like nation and language never exist until 1991 or if someone have the proof,please be my guest...show it.
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 13:35
"Bla bla bla,always  the same. I told you many many times..." that Evlija Celebi wrote in the 1600s that the Slavs of Bosnia called themselves Bosniaks and the Ottomans called their language "Bosnjacki".

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:EJvqZ66XwM0J:www.seep.c eu.hu/issue22/dimitrovova.pdf+origin+bosniak&hl=en

Edited by Mila
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 13:52
 Bosna is teritorial,regional... term.
 In Vojvodina live ..... Vojvodians?
 In Kosovo.................Kosovars?
 In Herzegovina ........Herzegovians?
 In Slavonia................Slavonians?
 In Krajina........       &nb sp;  Kraijanainais???

And apart of that,what cind of link is that

So,for you every one who doesn't call him self Bosniak in the Bosna he is crazy??

See the link and you must convert alot of people
 http://www.geocities.com/savindan/BHetnicka.htm
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>