Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vandals" - a character assassination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vandals" - a character assassination
    Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:14
Originally posted by Maju

They didn't spearhead anything. They had a big problem: a large army of Germanic crusaders had gathered at Venice hoping to be brought to Palestine but they couldn't pay for the trip. The Venetians would have sent them away but feared that they would sack Venice then.
So the Venetians decided to get something from that uncomfortable situation and bargained with the Crusaders. I do this for you but you do that for me: I bring you to Asia but you help us with our problem: Byzantium.
You get your trip and your pillage and your bloody war and we get some posessions and gold. After all Byzantium was inmensely richer than Palestinian lands, already sacked once and again by earlier crusades, it was closer and was a rival of Venetian naval ambitions.

Politics and bussiness. That's it. Why have you such a problem accepting that? If you were Greek, I could understand it, on patriotic grounds... but you're British: of another mariner republic, just like Venice...

I'm slowly coming round to Maju's argument.
What's wrong with pursuing one's business interests without the slightest of moral scruples.
If you view the course of history after 1204, then the Corporation of Venice's business plan was a truly innovative and progressive proposition.
If you then view the fact that the Venetians managed to convince the fourth crusade, that was assembled to win back the Holy Land from the heathen Muslim, to redirect their efforts against fellow Christians, you must admit that that was no mean marketing and PR undertaking.
It must have been a bit difficult to win around the people of Zara, that town on the Dalmatian coast that the crusaders besieged first for training purposes on their way, and of Constantinople to the benefits of their modern business strategies, but that's understandable with such backward and uncivilised nations.
Maju is right, one shouldn't look at the horrors during the sack of Constantinople of 1204 with such sentimentality, sacrifices need to be made if one wants to progress the nature of international trade relations or modernise the principles with which multinational corporations function.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:26

I dont deny I have some bias invested in this, but the magnitude of the sack deserves special acknowledgment among other sacks and conquests IMO.

As it wasnt just any city and it wasnt just in any random location, the implications of the sack were far reaching and utterly and ultimately destructive for the entire region.

The fact it was all a particular issue about money with which the Byzantines had absolutely nothing to do with makes it particularly hard to swallow. Destroy a city to settle someone elses debt, doesnt sit well with me especially since the Latin conquerors were totally inept at keeping the city afloat as it rapidily deteriorated to the point that even when it was taken back much of what had been destroyed in 1204 was still unrepaired.

The total disrespect of such an advanced and ancient civilisation be it Byzantine, Persian, Roman or anybody else carries with it in my book the title of Barbarian.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 18:23
Originally posted by Komnenos

I'm slowly coming round to Maju's argument.
What's wrong with pursuing one's business interests without the slightest of moral scruples.
If you view the course of history after 1204, then the Corporation of Venice's business plan was a truly innovative and progressive proposition.
If you then view the fact that the Venetians managed to convince the fourth crusade, that was assembled to win back the Holy Land from the heathen Muslim, to redirect their efforts against fellow Christians, you must admit that that was no mean marketing and PR undertaking.
It must have been a bit difficult to win around the people of Zara, that town on the Dalmatian coast that the crusaders besieged first for training purposes on their way, and of Constantinople to the benefits of their modern business strategies, but that's understandable with such backward and uncivilised nations.
Maju is right, one shouldn't look at the horrors during the sack of Constantinople of 1204 with such sentimentality, sacrifices need to be made if one wants to progress the nature of international trade relations or modernise the principles with which multinational corporations function.

You got my sarcasm, I got yours.

Still, Venetians were very modern for their time, true Machiavellians before Machiavelli, they weren't just a bunch of Medieval fanatic knights... they were pragmatic and sophisticated and that's the reason they prospered despite being small.

Of course, it's ethically all the questionable you want but it's not vandalic in the sense of gratuitously violent we use it for.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 18:46
Originally posted by Heraclius

As it wasnt just any city and it wasnt just in any random location, the implications of the sack were far reaching and utterly and ultimately destructive for the entire region.

Here you have a point. And it eventualy backfired to Venetians who later had to fence off the Turks for that reason.

Destroy a city to settle someone elses debt... [QUOTE]

No! Someone else (the Crusaders) destroyed the city to pay their own  willing debt to Venice. Part of my point is that they were the Crusaders and not the Venetians who accepted the devious deal and seacked Constatinople. Besides, considering the curriculum of Crusaders in general, they actually seem to be just a bunch of plunderers under a varnish of spirituality. The Venetians knew who were they dealing with and prefered others' demise to themselves'. Survival instinct.

[QUOTE]The total disrespect of such an advanced and ancient civilisation be it Byzantine, Persian, Roman or anybody else carries with it in my book the title of Barbarian.

Though the Byzantines seem to have been rather peaceful compared to the others you mention (not always, think in that Bulgaroktonos emperor). High civilizations do not always deserve the romantic respect you give them. At least Romans and Persians were very violent militaristic cultures that caused much damage during their expansion. I know better the history of Rome, so I will mention a few examples:
- Destruction of Carthage to the ground (after plotting to cause a new war when Carthage wasn't any more a threat for Rome). Venetians nor their allies ever tried to fully destroy Byzantium or any other city that I know of.
- Cutting both hands of all war prisioners in the Iberian wars. Maybe it was a common practice at the time but Romans also used it. Venetians, nor their crusaders, didn't use such a barbaric mutilation system nor anything of the kind.
- The famous gladiators and other human sacrifices offered at the colosseum only for mere amusement. Venetians and the crusaders didn't get either Byzantines or Arabs to fight for their amusement.

Furthermore, you know that Venetian flag has the Lion of St. Mark with a book (the Bible), but that was only in time of peace. Unlike crusaders, they were honest enough with their own beliefs as to use the same flag in time of war with this difference: the book was closed and the Lion's claws laid on it.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 21:36

"Though the Byzantines seem to have been rather peaceful compared to the others you mention (not always, think in that Bulgaroktonos emperor)."

Basil the Bulgar slayer may have been brutal in his wars but no more brutal than his enemies would have been, the account of thousands of bulgars being blinded is almost certainly a gross exaggeration, he simply conquered land the empire had lost centuries earlier just another war on a warring continent.

Rome and Persia and even Byzantium caused much damage but they gave back so much more, they countered war and death with life and peace, knowledge and art, literature and architecture (sp?).

You have to remember Rome suffered terribly in the previous punic wars, Rome may have ultimately been responsible for the wars, but they had paid an enormous price in life, its really little wonder Rome destroyed Carthage. Lets remember though Scipio the victor over Hannibal was against further hostility towards Carthage. This shows Rome was more than capable of peace, but at that exact time their were powerful voices calling for Carthages destruction any other time there may have been more moderate voices in the senate who knows.

"Venetians nor their allies ever tried to fully destroy Byzantium or any other city that I know of."

Venice didnt have the power to destroy Byzantium if it did then I dont doubt for a second theyd of attempted to overthrow the Byzantine regime in order to profit from the immense wealth the empire had. Venice did as much damage to Byzantium internaly as the turks did for a long time.

"Maybe it was a common practice at the time but Romans also used it. Venetians, nor their crusaders, didn't use such a barbaric mutilation system nor anything of the kind."

Did the crusaders not sack and loot cities?  if mutilation is worse than rape then death in your eyes then thats your opinion but the Crusaders and Venetians in the crusade will have raped and killed when they sacked Zara and Constantinople.

"Venetians and the crusaders didn't get either Byzantines or Arabs to fight for their amusement."

The crusaders slaughtered thousands of innocent people when it was wholly unnecessary, the crusaders and venetians may not have had arenas showing men fighting to the death, but they certainly slaughtered people with their own hands so they are just as bad.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 01:11

Because Basil II committed that single atrocity he ensured for nearly 200 years Byzantine control of a region whose wars previously cost both nations hundreds of thousands of lives over the course of generations. The mass blinding was immediately bad, but averted hundreds of years of further warfare.

As for the Romans it is hardly fair to compare the ancient world, lacking the Abrahamic religious teachings and still immersed in a different world of social ethics, to the medieval. The very reason the games were cancelled, and Byzantium upheld this cancellation of gladiatorial combat, was that the Christian creed was in the ascendant and was apt to do away with the method so famously used by earlier Roman authorities to persecute its members. To compare Venice seven centuries later and living in a Christian world simply isn't valid.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 12:17
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Because Basil II committed that single atrocity he ensured for nearly 200 years Byzantine control of a region whose wars previously cost both nations hundreds of thousands of lives over the course of generations. The mass blinding was immediately bad, but averted hundreds of years of further warfare.

As for the Romans it is hardly fair to compare the ancient world, lacking the Abrahamic religious teachings and still immersed in a different world of social ethics, to the medieval. The very reason the games were cancelled, and Byzantium upheld this cancellation of gladiatorial combat, was that the Christian creed was in the ascendant and was apt to do away with the method so famously used by earlier Roman authorities to persecute its members. To compare Venice seven centuries later and living in a Christian world simply isn't valid.

Not being Christian, for me there's no difference. I'm not so sure about the benevolent influence of Christianity (just think of Inquisition, religious "racism", the Crusades and witch hunts) and I suspect that the abolition of the Roman fights had more to do with Chrsitian themselves being thrown there at some times.

On mutiliation practices, Colombus and the Belgian administrators of the Congo, being Christians, used almost the same barbaric practices but not to inutilize their rivals but as punishment against low production. Bulgaroktonos mutilations aren't better than those of Pagan romans either.

Venetians never did that. And all the practices that you are trying to throw on them were used by the Crusaders, who were basically French, if I'm not wrong.

I think the Fourth Crusade is a logical developement of what were Crusades overall: an early colonial adventure of piracy and conquest. The enemy? Who cares? Whomever weak enough to be beaten by those pious hordes of Western knights.

I don't thik that pillage, rape and destruction against Muslims or "pagans" is better than against Christians and I think that, after all, at least the 4th Crusade takes the mask off the true meaning of the Crusades overall.

When I thik of Crusades  don't think of Charlton Heston and Sofia Loren... I think of fanatic violence without any kind of respect. I usually think, by the way, in the Crusade against the Albigensians, where "the violence inflicted was extreme even by medieval standards" and the Venetians played no role. It was exclussively a French, Papal and (partly) German campaign to subdue the heretic Occitanians and the first known use of the Inquisition to repress a Christian population.

Also, more sarcastically, I think in what Napoleon commented on St. Louis: "If he would have preached less and walked more he would have conquered all Egypt".

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 13:48

Basil II deserves to be remembered for so much more than an exaggerated account of mass blindings, its like remembering Constantine the great just because he had his wife and son killed, not because he founded Constantinople and adopted christianity or remembering Justinian just for the Nika riots and the thousands who died as a result, and not for his codifying of the law and his reconquests also for his reputation as the last true Roman Emperor.

You can pick an event to slur almost all leaders in history today and centuries ago, Basil II's unbelievable achievements are ignored just because of one moment in history which is absurd, he was a total revelation as good an Emperor since Heraclius or Justinian.

The fact of the matter remains without Venices greed the crusade would not have took the path it did and crippled an empire which had shielded eastern europe from the armies of Islam for 6 centuries. The crusader attacking christians not only shattered the last remnants of the crusading ideal but shattered the fragile balance that existed between christians and muslims in the east, a balance which was lost when Constantinople fell and the Byzantine empire collapsed.

Lets also not forget the sack of Zara who were catholics, so not only are the Venetians guilty of hijacking the control of the crusade but they also attack fellow catholics for which they were excommunicated. Would the 4th crusade have sacked Zara and Constantinople had Venice not took over effective control?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 15:02
Heraclius: you are also ignoring the many achievements of Venice in so many fields and focusing only in a single episode. You are not neutral in this. If it may be true that Basil had to mutilate so many Bulgarians to achieve renewed glory for the Byzantine Empire, it's also true that Venetian glory fed of the spoils of this Empire and they have also offered many cultural achievements to the world from exchange letter to the paintings of Tiziano, from the Far East accounts of Marco Polo to the operas of Vivaldi, not to mention the city itself, which is well worth more than a single visit.

The same that the Romans laid their glory on the destruction of Carthage and the Etruscan civilization, not to mention others, the Venetians laid them on the sacking of Byzantium and its transformation in a Venetian protectorate. Of all medieval states of the Mediterranean surely Venice is not only the most long lasting but also one of the the most glorious one and deserves better judgement than just a Crusading episode.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 15:13

"You are not neutral in this."

I dont think you are neutral in this either, atleast ive admitted I have bias invested in this debate, but then anybody who studies Byzantium or Venice is bound to have some bias just like anybody.

Venice made achievements at what point did I say otherwise? but it also destroyed the achievements of Byzantium which had been inherited from ancient Greece and Rome, works of art etc, much was lost in the sack. It isnt just Byzantiums achievements that were destroyed it was the collective achievements of the ancient world that were ruthlessly pillaged much was destroyed though some did survive, like the horses atop of ST marks etc.

Any other city and I wouldnt be making this point so much but this city was a crucible of everything that makes history so interesting and what makes its achievements so great. The city had something from just about everywhere, the fact so much was lost is such a shame because it simply cant be replaced.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 15:27
What about Carthage? Rome (that is Byzantium, after all that was the heir of the Roman Empire and called themselves Romans) destroyed Carthage to the ground. We know almost nothing about that glorious civilazaton thanks to the Roman jealousy in leaving not a single remain of their enemies. They may have made a good job in passing on the Greek cultural heritage but all the other civilizations they touched they destroyed them without any scruple.
We are owers to the Greco-Roman heritage but that's basically because they, Romans,  destroyed all other heritages, particularly Carthage and Etruria.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:18

Theres a difference between the Sack of Constantinople and destruction of Carthage.

Rome had suffered horrendously during the punic wars REGARDLESS of the reasons why the wars began etc. Italy was ravaged from the top to bottom, well over 100,000 men will have died on the field of battle.

Its unsuprising rome finished Carthage for good, but remember like ive actually said in an earlier post Scipio did not want further war against Carthage, it was a man Cato who was basically racist towards the carthaginians that stirred up tension and made war inevitable. His influence started the war, however did Carthage ever destroy anybody? I think so.

Constantinople had nothing to do with the objectives of the 4th crusade had nothing to do with the money troubles of the crusaders and nothing to do with the problem this caused Venice. That is fact.  

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by Heraclius

Constantinople had nothing to do with the objectives of the 4th crusade had nothing to do with the money troubles of the crusaders and nothing to do with the problem this caused Venice. That is fact.  

Like it or not Nea Roma wasn't alien to the Crusades and was the power that first called the Crusaders. Only to find they had comitted a huge error.

What was the objective of the Crusades except pillaging and plundering and conquering?

Which were the objectives of Venice except to gain control of the Aegean trade and get the gold the Crusaders had promised them?

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 18:13

Nothing youve just said changes the fact not only did the crusaders and venetians break the crusading ideal utterly and were actually excommunicated for it, but they then attacked an empire that had absolutely nothing to do with them.

If Venice believed that by hurting Byzantium as it did they would suddenly gain all the trade with no opposition they were even more short-sighted than Id thought originally. Had they not heard of the turks? did they think by removing the only thing that united an entire region that everything would turn out ok? that the Greeks would just die, the bulgarians and serbs just vanish and turks turn away?

You remove a power base and you leave a vacuum of power that was not in this case filled, and I say again the consequences of this unprovoked attack were catastrophic for the Balkans.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 22:08
I don't think Venetians were able to see (as so often happens) thev long term consequences of their acts. Turks were still weak and surely they believed that with naval supremacy and creating a dependant conlonial state under their protection they gained something: free trade, bases in the area (that unlike the crusader states were rather long-lasting). So many wars have been fought for the same objective...  divide et vince.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 06:39
It's a comforting thought, that the Venetian inspired sack of Constantinople in 1204 was in the long run a spectacular own goal.
As we have discussed before, the conquest of Constantinople through the Crusaders and the consequent formation of the Latin Empire, was a blow from which the Byzantine Empire never fully recovered, and thus an event that contributed immensely to the end of the Empire in 1453.
The Ottoman ascent to the most powerful state in the Levant, not only diminshed the Venetian trade and military presence in the Eastern Mediterranean, but also inspired the quest for an alternative route to the resources and markets of Eastern Asia.
With the traditional land routes via Constantinople no longer secure, Central Europe had to find a different trade route, and the nations on the Atlantic coast went off to find it.
And that was the end of Venice as the predominant trading nation in Europe, although they could hang on for a couple of centuries, Venice's significance never was the same after 1453 and 1492.
Serves them right!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 06:58

Originally posted by Komnenos

It's a comforting thought, that the Venetian inspired sack of Constantinople in 1204 was in the long run a spectacular own goal.
As we have discussed before, the conquest of Constantinople through the Crusaders and the consequent formation of the Latin Empire, was a blow from which the Byzantine Empire never fully recovered, and thus an event that contributed immensely to the end of the Empire in 1453.
The Ottoman ascent to the most powerful state in the Levant, not only diminshed the Venetian trade and military presence in the Eastern Mediterranean, but also inspired the quest for an alternative route to the resources and markets of Eastern Asia.
With the traditional land routes via Constantinople no longer secure, Central Europe had to find a different trade route, and the nations on the Atlantic coast went off to find it.
And that was the end of Venice as the predominant trading nation in Europe, although they could hang on for a couple of centuries, Venice's significance never was the same after 1453 and 1492.
Serves them right!

Very well said. Once the Venetians stole what they did from Byzantium they spent the rest of their existence toiling, and ultimately failing, to keep it. The Venetians hijacked the Crusade for short term selfish gains which left them worse off in the longer term. Once a very prosperous and generally peaceful nation which did well for itself in a world where the was a balance of power, they destroyed that balance and threw themselves into the vacuum. The result for Venice was much more war. They therefore ensured they lost huge amounts of men in combat, trade, diplomatic neutrality and even the most horrific punishment possible to the medieval man: the interdict of the Church over their citizenry.

Just because an opportunity can be taken doesn't mean it SHOULD be taken. Had they only realized that they were but a trading port unable to fill the shoes of a defender like Byzantium, they may well have spared Europe, Byzantium and themselves much unnecessary suffering.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 09:45

I think its been demonstrated by now with little room for doubt that the Venetians hijacking of the crusade was both short-sighted and greedy.

By removing the only thing that had stopped the Muslim tide from sweeping through europe, the 4th crusade doomed people who had for centuries been protected by Byzantium (inadvertantly or otherwise) what resulted from the 4th crusade was to leave the Balkans a total mess. 

A mish mash of shortlived crusader states and greek successor states to Byzantium, given the chance for the Bulgarians and Serbs to cause chaos, and opening the door for Turkish involvement across the Hellaspont. All it caused was a series of seemingly never ending wars between these relatively small states that emerged after 1204, by weakening and inevitably fighting each other they only sealed their own fate as the Turks continued to advance.

A balance which had existed in some form or other for 6 centuries was destroyed utterly, even after Constantinople was recovered and some Emperors tried desperately to recover the situation it was futile as the state was bankrupted and internally shattered.

These are the facts of some of the consequences of the 4th crusade.

If youd like to make a final counter argument Maju then feel free.

After that though both sides of the argument have been made well and even though I disagree with Maju I think he still made a good and consistant argument for his point, I think this particular issue has been practically exhausted now as all has been covered.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 21:56
We get the word 'criminal' from the Crimeans (Cimmerians) of the Ukraine. 'Brigand' comes from the Brigantes tribe of Britain. 'Viking' means 'pirate'. Sacae (the root word for 'Scythian') means 'robber'. I read somewhere that 'barbarian' comes from Berbers and the Barbary Coast (most say it comes from the Greek 'bar-bar'.). I read that 'Tatar' comes from 'Tartarus'. 'Germ' might come from Germans. 'Hunger' might come from Huns. I think much of this could have come from the Romans who often described the 'barbarians' of Europe and other places in an unfavorable way.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 22:57
And Byzantine has a connotation of being lost in trivial elaborated discussions about nothing. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>