Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vandals" - a character assassination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vandals" - a character assassination
    Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 03:07
I would like to bring to your attention one of the worst character assassinations in history.

In the English and German language ( any other?) the term Vandal is synonymous with a person that senselessly destroys, defaces or despoils works of cultural or any other   significance, like buildings, works of art etc.
Vandals is of course derived from the Germanic tribe with the same name, who after an odyssey of many years throughout the whole of Europe ended up in Northern Africa and, after the capture of Carthage in 439 established a kingdom there under their king Gaiseric.
In 455 the Eudoxa, the widow of the murdered West-Roman Emperor Valentian asked King Gaiseric for help and the Vandal fleet duly arrived in Italy and before the gates of Rome.
The city of Rome had no choice but to surrender, and after negotiations between Pope Leo I and King Gaiseric the terms were agreed. The Vandals would plunder the city, but there would be no killing, raping, torturing, or burning or destruction of building.
And so it happened, the Vandals plundered Rome for two weeks, but left people and buildings intact.
In fact, they proved to be a very disciplined and professional bunch of raiders, just doing their job.
They put the whole loot on their ships and sailed back to Africa, and would have lived happily ever after if the great Belisarius hadn't come and conquered the Vandal Kingdom in 533 and brought was left of the treasure of Rome back to Constantinople.
Little archaeological evidence of the Vandal Kingdom is left, and the Vandals would have become a footnote in history, if Byzantine propaganda hadn't portrayed them after the sack of Rome as a destructive gang of uncouth Germanic barbarians and thus entered the term "Vandals" into our dictionaries.
As you can see, the Vandals were in reality rather nice guys, a bit wild and exuberant at times, but compared to other conquerors, mild mannered and trust worthy. If you recall for example what happened during the sack of Constantinople by the Venetian led Crusaders, the sack of Rome in 455 must have been quite a pleasurable experience for the inhabitants.
Not to mention the behaviour of English football fans on away games.

So, I would like you to support me in my quest to clear the good name of the Vandals from all slander. You could start by striking the term Vandals from your active vocabulary, or write to your local education authority or the compilers of your national dictionaries , point out the real story of the Vandals and ask for a revision of the usage of the term Vandal.
Many thanks for your cooperation.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 03:30

It's a nice gesture Komnenos and your point is entirely valid. The fact that the sack of Rome in 455 did not somehow turn into a violent rampage because of this or that little incident between the Vandal soldiery and local Romans remains bewildering to me.

What could we possibly replace the word "Vandal" with? Actually it just occured to me what we could substitute it with: Venetian .

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 03:43
Originally posted by Constantine XI

What could we possibly replace the word "Vandal" with? Actually it just occured to me what we could substitute it with: Venetian .

That's a brilliant idea and entirely justified. I'll write to the Oxford dictionary asap.

"A group of teenage Venetians is thought to have venetianised the fassade of the building with graffiti!"
Sounds good to me!
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 03:51

"A group of teenage Venetians is thought to have venetianised the fassade of the building with graffiti!"

Yea, I had to buy a gun because of the damn Venetians in my neighborhood...

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 04:02
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Yea, I had to buy a gun because of the damn Venetians in my neighborhood...

You see, it works really well! Spread the word!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 05:05
Good, and when we're at it, we need a new name for this Goth business.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 05:47
I strongly oppose that attempt of bashing Venetians... they were just a honorable republic of trader-pirates... what's wrong with that? It was and still is the key of success in this unjust world. Venetians just did their job, that was surviving in the middle of those powerful empires and feudal warlords everywhere around... through their cunning and treacherous policy they managed to be relatively powerful and the main economic power in the Mediterranean for centuries (and even in Italy at some time).

Besides, I have Venetian heritage myself. True that my ancestors only moved to the Veneto when the Austrians captured it, being actually from Ferrara and Modena in origin... but anyhow, Marco Polo still deserves some respect, doesn't he?

I personally suggest the term Gringo (Latin American pejorative for USA people) to substitute the I would agree rather abusive term of vandal and vandalic. After all the destruction they caused in places as Vietnam and most Latin America has few comparisons in World history.

Other candidates, following History, would be Hungarian (their early history is truly vandalic), Viking (other famous sackers, while less strikingly violent and mercilless than Hungarians, still well worth a mention among famous plunderers), Castilian (their sacking and destruction of native American lands has few comparisons too), Almogavar (these were quite cool: Aragonese and Navarrese mounted infantery that plundered the Byzantine Empire with crusading pretexts and, possibly, Venetian support). Greek, Roman, Turk, German, Dutch, Portugese, English, Belgian... wouldn't be bad candidates either.

All peoples have a dark side. Ahem...
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 08:51

Maju "they were just a honorable republic of trader-pirates"

The Venetians were alot of things but not honorable, they were greedy, selfish, backstabbing, and had little to zero appreciation for other more sophisticated civilisations unless of course there was profit in it for them.

To Star Trek fans they can be easily compared to the ever irritating Firengi (sp?) species.

Ive absolutely no respect whatsoever for the Venetians and dont see why I should, overall their arrogance annoys me most, just glad Napoleon refused to tolerate it and put an end to it.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 14:05
Vandals peaceful? so what about the slaughter of the Alans in spain before they set over to north africa?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 14:08
Originally posted by Temujin

Vandals peaceful? so what about the slaughter of the Alans in spain before they set over to north africa?

Okay, I said they were a bit wild and exuberant at times.
There was nothing terribly special about annihilating a rival tribe when they stood in the way. Everybody else did it.
That doesn't justify giving the poor Vandals such a bad name!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 16:17

The Vandals deserve their name, the sack of Rome wasnt overly violent they didnt massacre everyone what makes it stand out is how systematic it was, everything the Vandals could find was melted down, picked up and carted off.

The visigoths sack wasnt so massive, the Vandals stripped Rome of practically everything, therefore by anybodys definition they vandalised the city of what made it great.

Its a perfectly justifiable name to give them. There can be no real argument against that I think IMHO.

"If you recall for example what happened during the sack of Constantinople by the Venetian led Crusaders, the sack of Rome in 455 must have been quite a pleasurable experience for the inhabitants."

Yeah im sure the Romans had a great time losing all of their wordly possessions must have been a blast when those well-mannered charming men came in and took everything. What an insane thing to say "pleasurable experience"

Did the Vandals belong in Italy? Did they belong in Spain? Africa? No they invaded the territory of another power, therefore they are warlike.

The eastern roman empire had every right to expel the Vandals from Africa, the empire had strong claims to africa thre vandals had no claims they had seized this territory and the east wanted it back. The fact their name has been tarnished subsequently is tough luck.

Edited by Heraclius
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 17:42
Originally posted by Heraclius

Maju "they were just a honorable republic of trader-pirates"

The Venetians were alot of things but not honorable, they were greedy, selfish, backstabbing, and had little to zero appreciation for other more sophisticated civilisations unless of course there was profit in it for them.

I thought you British understood sarcasm.

Where is the logic in "honorable republic of pirates"?

Still they weren't vandalic but much more refined... they didn't even sack Nea Roma themselves but let others (the crusaders, none of them Venetian, naturally) do it. Maybe crusader could be the good aternative term for vandalic that we are looking for. Have you read The Crusaders? I think the author may be Naguib Mahfouz but I'm not sure right now, it's a famous Arab writer anyhow.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 18:59

The Venetians spearheaded the crusade to Constantinople, knowing full well the crusaders would not be able to pay the debts they owned the Doge, the Venetians had perfect reason to suggest an attack on Zara and then Constantinople in payment.

They practically destroy the greatest city in the medieval world for nothing more than greed  that says to me they deserve no more respect than the most savage of barbarians. Atleast many barbarians knew they were just in it for loot but Venice seems to have pretended it was a sophisticated civilisation when it was just a republic built on what they could get from others.

It wouldnt be as bad if theyd done it themselves, but as true venetians do they get others to do their dirty work and then claim the spoils for the glory of the republic.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 20:19
Well, when i think about Vandals, first who come on my mind are Swedes. When in the half of 17th century they occupied Warsaw they didnt limit plundering only to gold, silver or arts. They were even stealing glass windows ( i guess in Sweden it was luxury if they were stealing even glass). They were breaking statues, altars, furniture, everything what had even only little piece of gold or silver. They even took 32 marble collumns which they still have in Sweden. Also robbed many libraries, churches, monasteries. If there was somthing they couldnt take, they were breaking it and taking more valuable parts of it. As good vandals as Swedes were also Germans and Russians. Altough Swedes were most systematic in plundering. They even searched tombs of polish kings looking for valuables. On the other hand Prussians forged crowns of polish kings and valuables from polish royal treasure (the oldest of them were from 10th century). Gold was used to make monay, the some of jewels were seen in the necklece of prussian queen. Cant find different word for it than pure vandalism.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 21:19

The Venetians spearheaded the crusade to Constantinople, knowing full well the crusaders would not be able to pay the debts they owned the Doge, the Venetians had perfect reason to suggest an attack on Zara and then Constantinople in payment.

I see the role of Venetians here as very karmic: the crusaders wanted to crusade (so typical!) and the Venetians said: Your problem; N ships are X ducats. Venetians were pragmatic and did not care about crusades, just about who was going to pay for the ships. I see their attitude as neutral.

So the crusaders learnt (maybe) a lesson on finances and about the lack of interest for others of their fanatic ideals. Do you actually think a fanatic is better than a pragmatic? I don't.

When I play diplomacy games, there's nothing like meeting a fanatic with an ideology (they don't abound, sadly). Eventually he becomes your perfect victim or your perfect tool (or you worst enemy... but that's usually like saying your perfect victim again).  He will never be my perfect ally: my perfect ally is another pragmatic.

They practically destroy the greatest city in the medieval world for nothing more than greed

Guess that if Byzantines were so great they could have defended themselves. So they weren't that great anymore. Chaos theory: eternal order is simply impossible. Keeping order requires continuous investment of energies. Eventually all empires fall. Someone has to do the dirty (and somehow glorious too) job of demolition for further construction, don't you think?

(I'm playing Devil's advocate, I don't know what would I've thought would I'd be contemporary. I'm not such a social darwinist in real life - but still I have no special sympathy for Constantinople, much less for the crusaders that actually sacked it, while the role of the Venetians seems quite neutral, just dictated by pragmatism).

that says to me they deserve no more respect than the most savage of barbarians.

What kind of Barbarians? Some savages and barbarians are very nice and peaceful people.

At least many barbarians knew they were just in it for loot

Ok. That kind of Barbarians.

but Venice seems to have pretended it was a sophisticated civilisation when it was just a republic built on what they could get from others.

What's the difference?!

Ayhow most of the time they were just peaceful traders, you know. They didn't built their rich and might just by pillaging. Actually they didn't pillaged much, they basically traded.

Who pillaged were others: crusaders, Muslims, Byzantines. Venetians just got their comission.

It wouldnt be as bad if theyd done it themselves, but as true venetians do they get others to do their dirty work and then claim the spoils for the glory of the republic.

Not for the glory... just for the profit. They were pragmatics, not idealists.

Eventually crusaders were convinced by their priests that Byzantines were as evil as Muslims, that they had allied with Saladin and that they deserved a lesson. Maybe they actually deserved a lesson: never call others to defend you, they will just spoil you after all.

Oh, wise Machavelli...

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 07:43

You can't compare the sack of Rome in 455 to that of Constantinople in 1204. Believe me, the Crusaders were just as thorough and systematic in looting Constantinople as the Vandals were, I would say even more so. Niketas Choniates gives the stomache-churning account of how the Venetians and Crusaders even searched the private cavities of women for hidden treasures! Another thing is that Constantinople suffered a MASSIVE fire,"that engulfed more houses than in the greatest cities of  France" - Villehardouin, saw mass rapes on a scale which spins the head, rampant murder and spiritual desecration on a level truly shocking by any standards. Read the account of the sack by Niketas Choniates and you will see just how truly dreadful 1204 was. Rome in 455 must have been positively terrible, but was far preferable to the wholesale rape, murder, torture and spiritual desecration seen in Constantinople.

As to the role of the Venetians I did my last history assignment for last semester on why the Crusade that set out for Jerusalem ended up in Constantinople. Quite simply, the Venetians simply forced the Crusaders into an impossible position and commandeered the Crusade for their own benefit. Look at the evidence and you will see they knew what they were doing, and used the Crusaders to engineer the greatest sack in medieval European history.

Edited by Constantine XI
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 09:40

Maju "I see their attitude as neutral."

How could their attitude be neutral when they spearheaded the crusade towards Constantinople?

Maju "What kind of Barbarians? Some savages and barbarians are very nice and peaceful people."

Are you living on a different planet or something? so peaceful and nice that they raped pillaged and plundered, hmm yes very peaceful.

"Ayhow most of the time they were just peaceful traders, you know. They didn't built their rich and might just by pillaging. Actually they didn't pillaged much, they basically traded."

No there wernt usually peaceful traders Venice was involved in many wars, often with other trading powers, if it wasnt for Venice the worst sack in medieval history wouldnt have taken place, therefore they are not as peaceful as you seem to suggest. The sack also had grave consequences for the balkans, with Byzantium crippled the muslim tide could no longer be held back and the Turks began to overrun the Byzantine empire, this shattered the fragile balance that had existed in varying degrees for centuries and doomed the eastern christians.

Byzantium did very little to impair the progress of the crusades, all the empire wanted was these bands of unruly lunatics from the west out of their land ASAP. The Byzantines often helped the crusaders with supplies, guides and military support. Any hostility the crusaders got they totally provoked. The crusaders pushed their luck far to often and fully deserved the wrath of the Byzantine Emperor when the empire was at war with the Principality of Antioch etc.

The Venetians were as bad as the Vandals or whoever, the Vandals sacked Europes greatest city in 455, Venice which led the crusaders sacked the medieval worlds greatest city in 1204, the severity was very different but a sack remains a sack no matter what.

Example of the brutality of the sack, is the sacking of the emperors tombs, Justinians tomb was pillaged and destroyed, Basil II's to and countless more.

I consider a people who destroyed some of the greatest works of art, literature, sculpture and building as barbaric.

Edited by Heraclius
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:18
Sorry Komnenos, but I believe that it the term 'vandal' is correctly used as it is. You mention the orderly looting of Rome in 455, but you fail to mention the destruction they caused everywhere else. Even in Roman times, the Vandals were known for their disrespect of property. The Vandals were well-known for their mediocre fighting skills, as opposed to other Germanic tribes like the Franks and the Goths. They were well-known for the destruction they caused when they eventually won. Hence, the term was born.

Edited by Belisarius
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 16:39

Maju "I see their attitude as neutral."

How could their attitude be neutral when they spearheaded the crusade towards Constantinople?

They didn't spearhead anything. They had a big problem: a large army of Germanic crusaders had gathered at Venice hoping to be brought to Palestine but they couldn't pay for the trip. The Venetians would have sent them away but feared that they would sack Venice then.

So the Venetians decided to get something from that uncomfortable situation and bargained with the Crusaders. I do this for you but you do that for me: I bring you to Asia but you help us with our problem: Byzantium.

You get your trip and your pillage and your bloody war and we get some posessions and gold. After all Byzantium was inmensely richer than Palestinian lands, already sacked once and again by earlier crusades, it was closer and was a rival of Venetian naval ambitions.

Politics and bussiness. That's it. Why have you such a problem accepting that? If you were Greek, I could understand it, on patriotic grounds... but you're British: of another mariner republic, just like Venice...

Maju "What kind of Barbarians? Some savages and barbarians are very nice and peaceful people."

Are you living on a different planet or something? so peaceful and nice that they raped pillaged and plundered, hmm yes very peaceful.

I don't know what do you understand by "barbarians" but for me it's opposite to "civilized". Still many uncivilized cultures, like the San, the Zoe... are nice and peaceloving. Instead all civilizations are warrying, even the Chinese!

"Ayhow most of the time they were just peaceful traders, you know. They didn't built their rich and might just by pillaging. Actually they didn't pillaged much, they basically traded."

No there wernt usually peaceful traders Venice was involved in many wars, often with other trading powers, if it wasnt for Venice the worst sack in medieval history wouldnt have taken place, therefore they are not as peaceful as you seem to suggest. The sack also had grave consequences for the balkans, with Byzantium crippled the muslim tide could no longer be held back and the Turks began to overrun the Byzantine empire, this shattered the fragile balance that had existed in varying degrees for centuries and doomed the eastern christians.

They were a regional power and acted as such. The plundering can't be blamed only in the Venetians... the ones who did it were memebers of other nationalities.

Anyhow, are you sure it was the worst sack? Medieval times were abundant in barbaric pillagings. For instance the Hungarians pillaged German and Italian villages this way: they killed all males of all ages and also women too young or old. The rest of women they brought to their country. In one case it's attested that they herded their bounty of women naked and tied by their hairs. Naturally they also pillaged anything else they could find.

Vikings terrorized Western Europe, Muslims the Mediterranean, Crusaders SW Asia... it was just part of the nature of the Iron Age (we call it Medieval but actually it's just a prolongation of the Iron Age in almost all senses).

Luckily, we live now in the Nuclear Age... we are safe now, I guess. Now pillaging is done through respectable corporations and international institutions, like the IMF...  it's so aseptic... so "Venetian"

Example of the brutality of the sack, is the sacking of the emperors tombs, Justinians tomb was pillaged and destroyed, Basil II's to and countless more.

I consider a people who destroyed some of the greatest works of art, literature, sculpture and building as barbaric.

It was another era. Not much later Popes used the marbles of the Colosseum to decorate the Vatican... they knew nothing about art and culture, not to mention archaelogy...

You can't judge the lion because it kills the cubs, you can't judge the shark for eating seals, you can't judge other times based on our modern illustrated values: they hadn't been invented at the the time.

In those tombs there was gold, so they took it... it's the destiny of all gold hoarders: somebody will come and steal it - even after your death.

Still I'm sure the Venetians did not direct the specifical stages of the plundering, that was up to those pious crusaders and their moral masters, the priests that travelled with them an advised them on moral matters.

I mantain that your judge on Venetians is too harsh and unjustified.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 17:11
Originally posted by Belisarius

Sorry Komnenos, but I believe that it the term 'vandal' is correctly used as it
is. You mention the orderly looting of Rome in 455, but you fail to
mention the destruction they caused everywhere else. Even in Roman
times, the Vandals were known for their disrespect of property. The
Vandals were well-known for their mediocre fighting skills, as opposed
to other Germanic tribes like the Franks and the Goths. They were
well-known for the destruction they caused when they eventually won.
Hence, the term was born.

I looked around a bit, and it seems that the term "Vandal" for a destructive person first came in use in the French in the 17th century. I presume the tribe was by then mainly remembered for its sack of Rome, not for the other slight transgressions on the way to Carthage. That's what they are still today mostly remembered for, and their noble conduct throughout the sack doesn't really justify the slander.
However, one further reason of their damnation in the 6th century could have been the fact that they were Arians, heretics in the eyes of the official partriarchats in Rome and Constantinople.

Edited by Komnenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>