Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vandals" - a character assassination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vandals" - a character assassination
    Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 11:59
I know about this malicious etymology. Hungarians were hungry after a German chronicler, Slavs were slaves, Avars were avaricious (avarus) after a Frankish chronicler, Hungarians called Germans 'nmet', it meant dumb.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 17:24
this is difficult. the area inhabited by Bavarians today was first inhabited by Rugians, then they either renamed or were replaced by Bajuwars (never heard Boyars before, Boyars are Russian nobles...). and Rugians/Bajuwars never really major clashes with Rome, if any at all... I think i also once heard a theory that Bajuwar comes from Awars (Baj-awars) but i think this is just another wordplay...
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 13:35
Originally posted by Maju

Does then the name Bavaria/Bayern come from the Celtic tribe of the Boii, like neighbouring Bohemia?

There seems to be a theory circulating, that there is indeed a connection. However, it is a geographical, as the Bajuwares have alledgedly settled Southern Germany coming from Bohemia, and not a ethnical, as there seems no doubt that the core of the tribe was Germanic, possibly with some Slavic elements acquired on their way through South-East Central-Europe.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 07:49
Does then the name Bavaria/Bayern come from the Celtic tribe of the Boii, like neighbouring Bohemia?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:54
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have anotheretymology question which I am sure a certain member who happens to be fairly German may be able to answer. Do we get Bavaria from Barbaria? Are Bavarians named because they were considered barbarian? If not, where do they get such a name? Being partly of Bavarian stock myself, I wonder if perhaps these relentless scourges of Pax Romana might have resembled me just a little bit

The original name of this southern Germanic tribe was "Bajuwaren,Boiaren", and various others similar sounding terms. The Romans made "Bavarii" out of that and the name stuck.
In Germany itself, they called the "Bayern".

It's got nothing to do with "Barbarians" whatsoever, however if you have ever watched Bavarian folk music (Oompah with Lederhosen) on German TV, you might be excused of making that presumption.

Edited by Komnenos
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 00:41
I have another etymology question which I am sure a certain member who happens to be fairly German may be able to answer. Do we get Bavaria from Barbaria? Are Bavarians named because they were considered barbarian? If not, where do they get such a name? Being partly of Bavarian stock myself, I wonder if perhaps these relentless scourges of Pax Romana might have resembled me just a little bit
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 06:44
I think we are finally coming to an agreement over the Rome thing. I think everyone benefitted from such an intellectual discussion, personally my perspective has certainly evolved. I would say it is more refined now.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 16:15
I agree with the above. In recent discussions on the influence of Rome, it's been clear that Gaul and Britain were virtually the only beneficiaries of the "civilizating" influx of Rome, no matter how limited and opressive it may have been. The conclussion was more or less that the world hardly needed Rome but that Gaul and Britain did benefit in many aspects from its influx and that otherwise they would have remained marginal for longer probably. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 21:27
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Funny how some would accuse the Vandals of savagery, but nothing is said about romans tyranny except as a civilising force. The Gauls of Brennus and the vandals were altar boys compared to the savagery of the romans. The romans were more systematic and radical in their way of making warfare. I've always hated the roman, the best that had ever happed to France is the invasion of the Franks, otherwise France would have always been in the shadow of oppressive romans.

I agree

Did France need rome? Definitely not, the Gauls and Franks had mastery of metal than romans didn't possess. They just needed better organisation for warfare.

Well Rome did have a number of technologies not possessed by the Gauls thanks to their Mediterannean position. The level of public works and legal development was another thing the Gauls simply couldn't compete with compared to Rome.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 21:13

Funny how some would accuse the Vandals of savagery, but nothing is said about romans tyranny except as a civilising force. The Gauls of Brennus and the vandals were altar boys compared to the savagery of the romans. The romans were more systematic and radical in their way of making warfare. I've always hated the roman, the best that had ever happed to France is the invasion of the Franks, otherwise France would have always been in the shadow of oppressive romans.

Did France need rome? Definitely not, the Gauls and Franks had mastery of metal than romans didn't possess. They just needed better organisation for warfare.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 01:48
Originally posted by pakeray

We get the word 'criminal' from the Crimeans (Cimmerians) of the Ukraine. 'Brigand' comes from the Brigantes tribe of Britain. 'Viking' means 'pirate'. Sacae (the root word for 'Scythian') means 'robber'. I read somewhere that 'barbarian' comes from Berbers and the Barbary Coast (most say it comes from the Greek 'bar-bar'.). I read that 'Tatar' comes from 'Tartarus'.'Germ' might come from Germans.'Hunger' might come from Huns. I think much of this could have come from the Romans who often described the 'barbarians' of Europe and other places in an unfavorable way.

The endless joys of etymology, many a long winter evening will just fly, when you play guessing games.

Germ does not come from "German", but from the Latin "germen", to sprout, to bud.
Crime does not come from "Crimeans" ( ) but from the Latin "crimen", meaning offense.
Hunger from the old Germanic word "*khungrus",meaning the same, long before the Huns were around.
Viking from the Old Norwegian "vikingr", meaning someone who comes from the fjords.
Anymore?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 22:57
And Byzantine has a connotation of being lost in trivial elaborated discussions about nothing. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 21:56
We get the word 'criminal' from the Crimeans (Cimmerians) of the Ukraine. 'Brigand' comes from the Brigantes tribe of Britain. 'Viking' means 'pirate'. Sacae (the root word for 'Scythian') means 'robber'. I read somewhere that 'barbarian' comes from Berbers and the Barbary Coast (most say it comes from the Greek 'bar-bar'.). I read that 'Tatar' comes from 'Tartarus'. 'Germ' might come from Germans. 'Hunger' might come from Huns. I think much of this could have come from the Romans who often described the 'barbarians' of Europe and other places in an unfavorable way.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 09:45

I think its been demonstrated by now with little room for doubt that the Venetians hijacking of the crusade was both short-sighted and greedy.

By removing the only thing that had stopped the Muslim tide from sweeping through europe, the 4th crusade doomed people who had for centuries been protected by Byzantium (inadvertantly or otherwise) what resulted from the 4th crusade was to leave the Balkans a total mess. 

A mish mash of shortlived crusader states and greek successor states to Byzantium, given the chance for the Bulgarians and Serbs to cause chaos, and opening the door for Turkish involvement across the Hellaspont. All it caused was a series of seemingly never ending wars between these relatively small states that emerged after 1204, by weakening and inevitably fighting each other they only sealed their own fate as the Turks continued to advance.

A balance which had existed in some form or other for 6 centuries was destroyed utterly, even after Constantinople was recovered and some Emperors tried desperately to recover the situation it was futile as the state was bankrupted and internally shattered.

These are the facts of some of the consequences of the 4th crusade.

If youd like to make a final counter argument Maju then feel free.

After that though both sides of the argument have been made well and even though I disagree with Maju I think he still made a good and consistant argument for his point, I think this particular issue has been practically exhausted now as all has been covered.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 06:58

Originally posted by Komnenos

It's a comforting thought, that the Venetian inspired sack of Constantinople in 1204 was in the long run a spectacular own goal.
As we have discussed before, the conquest of Constantinople through the Crusaders and the consequent formation of the Latin Empire, was a blow from which the Byzantine Empire never fully recovered, and thus an event that contributed immensely to the end of the Empire in 1453.
The Ottoman ascent to the most powerful state in the Levant, not only diminshed the Venetian trade and military presence in the Eastern Mediterranean, but also inspired the quest for an alternative route to the resources and markets of Eastern Asia.
With the traditional land routes via Constantinople no longer secure, Central Europe had to find a different trade route, and the nations on the Atlantic coast went off to find it.
And that was the end of Venice as the predominant trading nation in Europe, although they could hang on for a couple of centuries, Venice's significance never was the same after 1453 and 1492.
Serves them right!

Very well said. Once the Venetians stole what they did from Byzantium they spent the rest of their existence toiling, and ultimately failing, to keep it. The Venetians hijacked the Crusade for short term selfish gains which left them worse off in the longer term. Once a very prosperous and generally peaceful nation which did well for itself in a world where the was a balance of power, they destroyed that balance and threw themselves into the vacuum. The result for Venice was much more war. They therefore ensured they lost huge amounts of men in combat, trade, diplomatic neutrality and even the most horrific punishment possible to the medieval man: the interdict of the Church over their citizenry.

Just because an opportunity can be taken doesn't mean it SHOULD be taken. Had they only realized that they were but a trading port unable to fill the shoes of a defender like Byzantium, they may well have spared Europe, Byzantium and themselves much unnecessary suffering.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 06:39
It's a comforting thought, that the Venetian inspired sack of Constantinople in 1204 was in the long run a spectacular own goal.
As we have discussed before, the conquest of Constantinople through the Crusaders and the consequent formation of the Latin Empire, was a blow from which the Byzantine Empire never fully recovered, and thus an event that contributed immensely to the end of the Empire in 1453.
The Ottoman ascent to the most powerful state in the Levant, not only diminshed the Venetian trade and military presence in the Eastern Mediterranean, but also inspired the quest for an alternative route to the resources and markets of Eastern Asia.
With the traditional land routes via Constantinople no longer secure, Central Europe had to find a different trade route, and the nations on the Atlantic coast went off to find it.
And that was the end of Venice as the predominant trading nation in Europe, although they could hang on for a couple of centuries, Venice's significance never was the same after 1453 and 1492.
Serves them right!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 22:08
I don't think Venetians were able to see (as so often happens) thev long term consequences of their acts. Turks were still weak and surely they believed that with naval supremacy and creating a dependant conlonial state under their protection they gained something: free trade, bases in the area (that unlike the crusader states were rather long-lasting). So many wars have been fought for the same objective...  divide et vince.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 18:13

Nothing youve just said changes the fact not only did the crusaders and venetians break the crusading ideal utterly and were actually excommunicated for it, but they then attacked an empire that had absolutely nothing to do with them.

If Venice believed that by hurting Byzantium as it did they would suddenly gain all the trade with no opposition they were even more short-sighted than Id thought originally. Had they not heard of the turks? did they think by removing the only thing that united an entire region that everything would turn out ok? that the Greeks would just die, the bulgarians and serbs just vanish and turks turn away?

You remove a power base and you leave a vacuum of power that was not in this case filled, and I say again the consequences of this unprovoked attack were catastrophic for the Balkans.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by Heraclius

Constantinople had nothing to do with the objectives of the 4th crusade had nothing to do with the money troubles of the crusaders and nothing to do with the problem this caused Venice. That is fact.  

Like it or not Nea Roma wasn't alien to the Crusades and was the power that first called the Crusaders. Only to find they had comitted a huge error.

What was the objective of the Crusades except pillaging and plundering and conquering?

Which were the objectives of Venice except to gain control of the Aegean trade and get the gold the Crusaders had promised them?

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 17:18

Theres a difference between the Sack of Constantinople and destruction of Carthage.

Rome had suffered horrendously during the punic wars REGARDLESS of the reasons why the wars began etc. Italy was ravaged from the top to bottom, well over 100,000 men will have died on the field of battle.

Its unsuprising rome finished Carthage for good, but remember like ive actually said in an earlier post Scipio did not want further war against Carthage, it was a man Cato who was basically racist towards the carthaginians that stirred up tension and made war inevitable. His influence started the war, however did Carthage ever destroy anybody? I think so.

Constantinople had nothing to do with the objectives of the 4th crusade had nothing to do with the money troubles of the crusaders and nothing to do with the problem this caused Venice. That is fact.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>