Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pasha Joder and the Moroccan conquest of

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pasha Joder and the Moroccan conquest of
    Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 19:00
Odd stories of History - 1
Pasha Joder and the Moroccan conquest of Songhai.

Pasha Joder is the name by which is known the otherwise anonimous Spanish adventurer that at the service Sultan Mulay Ahmed Al Masur of Morocco planned and executed the conquest of Tombuktu searching for the sudsaharan Eldorado... the almost mythic golden mines that were somewhere in al-Sudan, the country of black people.

His name, Joder, comes from his favorite swearing, as joder in Spanish means f*ck. This moral relative of the Spanish conquistadores of America had converted, oportunistically we may think, to Islam.

Mulay Ahmed initially sends an embassy to the Songhay with many presents but the true object of this preliminary expedition is that of intelligence. Meanwhile Joder prepares carefully his invasion: he brings from England canvas, cannons and gunpowder. In 1590 the expedition, partly formed by Spaniards at the service of Morocco, crosses the Sahara desert, losing part of the men from thirst and exhaustion.

The Hispano-Moroccan conquerors take Tondibi, Gao and Tombuktu without much opposition but they find no gold. Not just that they don't find the expected Eldorado near the Niger river, being the mines much more southward near Futa, but also the comercial routes are disrupted by the expedition and no more gold flows to the merchant outposts of the Niger.

The Sultan, upset for not getting the expected results, suspects of Joder and gets him revoked from his position of command, placing instead a man of his confidence, Mahmud that arrives soon at Tombuktu. Joder, resolved to make fortune on his own, and maybe fearing for his life, flees to Gao.

The Askias (Songhay princes) are divided: some try an understanding with Mahmud, others organize resistence at Dendi, quite far away from Tobuktu but the Songhay Empire does not exist anymore.

As Mahmud is unable to send any more gold than Joder, the Sultan sends another governor, Mansur, with orders to execute Mahmud. Masur aplies also draconian measures with the erudites of Tombuktu, deportating them to Morocco.

The Hispano-Moroccans soon find themselves abandoned to destiny by the Sultan and also by Joder, who finally returns with some bounty to Morocco in 1599.  Most of them get integrated in their new country, marrying local women and fencing off the Tuareg, the Bambara and the Mandinka.

For some time the Sultan of Morocco names the pashas of Tombuktu and sends tax inspectors. But eventually the Sultan loses interest in this faraway and decepting land. In 1620 the Sultan finally declines the nomination of a pasha. Since then, the army, that subsisted as an autonomous power in form of a military cast, choses all further pashas, sometimes also deposing them as well. Eventually the mandates of the pashas becomes very unstable, with pashas governing for a few days followed by transitions of months. The still called Moroccans or Armas (Spanish for weapons), already very mixed, lose gradully strength. Since 1737 they pay tribute to the Tuaregs, who take Gao in 1770. Finally they simply disappear melted with the locals.

Still some cultural merits must be acknowledged to that odd realm: ulemas, historians and jurists develope continuous activity, Tarik el Fettach and Tarik el Sudan are two of their most notable historical chronicles. In the 17th century, surgeons at Tombuktu treat cataracts succesfully.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 22:19
Its also worth noting that the definitive battle of the campaign involved Joder opening his ranks up to avoid a stampeded cattle charge from the Songhai, and thus reformed and decimated the Songhai with arquebus fire.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 05:13
I didn't know that detail, Tobodai, my source didn't put much emphasis on battles. It just mentioned that Gao was abandoned before the Moroccans arrived and that thing about cannons being imported from England. It doesn't seem like the Songhay could do much against firearms at that time.

You are the expert in African history, anyhow, aren't you? Do you think that this destruction of the last major Sudsaharan empire had a significative effect in the subsequent disintegration of the area in warrying-slaving kingdoms or that would had happened anyhow, even if Songhay would have endured? Sometimes accidents of history, like the Imperial Chinese policy towards naval exploration, for instance, seem to have been quite relevant. Some historians have posed the question "What if Vasco de Gama would have found Chinese outposts in Africa and India when he travelled beyond the Cape of Good Hope?" I pose therefore the maybe less relevant question: What if the Songhay empire would have survived and maybe even consolidated, instead of being just destroyed by this odd Moroccan expedition? Would that have changed the history of Western Africa?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 17:48

I wondered this myself.  By the time that Morrocco invaded Songhai was past its peak of power, yet it certainly still could have survived.  As you probably know its the 3rd Sahel empire that was based around Goa and Timbuktu.  They tended to remain pretty much in that area so I dont think there would be large political consequences of such a survival.

Though I can see some hisotrical differences that could have happened had Morrocoo failed...

-Songhai captures numerous guns on the field, perhaps strentheneing them if they can import Arabs to teach them how to use them.

-Or perhaps nomads like the Tuareg are subgigated by the new guns, leading to Songhai being able to meet up with Chad-Bornu which probably had the best army in Africa in the 16th and 17th centuries.  I dont knwo what owuld happen then.

-Another possibility is that the survival of Songhai could have destroyed alot of racist European attitudes.  When the Europeans came to Africa they came after most of the great states had collapsed, if Songhai was still around they would see that Africans could build great states and empires.

-The slave trade could also be affected, both ways.  One way the SOnghai being a unified entity means that Dahomey and Benin would have a harder time preying on the people north of them for slaves lest the Songhai see this as an invasion and attack them.  This might ruin the slave trad enorth of the Kongo.

-the other way would be if SOnghai got involved in the slave trade itself which would make slave trading easier and probably using Benin as the slaves and Songhai getting even richer while being protected by its inland status.

In the end who knows, a good quesiton though.

-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 18:22
Well, it might have well happened that the Soghay captured a good deal of Moroccans and made them teach how to make firearms. Sudsaharan Africans were quite good at metalurgy so they could have crafted new weapons rather easily after that. This line of thought seems promising.

Still I don't know if the Songhay existence could have destroyed the European prejudices, just look at how mighty Kongo and Monomotapa were destroyed by the Portugese. The inland position and Islam maybe would have protected the Songhay empire... but for how long? Eventually even Turkey and China had to bow to European technological and organizational supremacy. But still... who knows?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 20:12
But compared to Songhai, Kngo was a real backwater.  It only really reached the height of its power after contact with the Portugese hence from a certain perspective it kind of made the whites feel thyeir racial superiority was true.
-Alexander Hamilton
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 12:06

Finally I learn from where my favorite word comes
Al Bedawi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Al Bedawi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 19:08
there is little use of the term pasha in arabic, its origin is turkic, Morocco was never a vassal state of the sublime porte, instead they had their own sultan much like Mughals,Oman, and indonesia
An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
 Post Reply Post Reply