Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to beat terrorism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to beat terrorism
    Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 16:51
Terrorism is becoming more of a worldwide problem . I want to concentrate on radical islamic terrorism mainly, because there are many groups that are wrecking havor world wide. How can most terrorism be stopped or prevented worldwide?

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 17:07
Problem is you really can't unless you educate all the same way. These are people who are being educated by someone who has a bone to pick, they maybe brainwashed into believing it, listening to the propaganda, or for another reason believe in the samethings being preached by the terrorist. As long as theres someone who has something against the majority, they will attack using terrorism if they don't choose a peacful means. And using a religeon, like Islam as they are now, only fuels it. Only takes a couple of mean to kill a few hundred people.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 17:23
I would fight in three areas:

1)Public Relations campaign
2)Intelligence about terrorists
3)Attacks against nations that harbor terrorists

Bush's plan so far is very strong on number 3, impossible to say on number 2, and very poor on number 1.

State of number 3:
The U.S. successfully destroyed major portions of Al-Qeada when it invaded Afghanistan. Unfortunately, there really isn't any other nation that sponsors terrorism left, except , maybe, Iran and Saudi Arabia. One is our ally and who know what will happen to the other. So far, I haven't seen any good evidence that recent terrorist attacks were sponsored by Iran.

The usefulness of this method has almost ran up its course. The Iraq disaster is a glaring example of its limitations: unless well planned and with correct intelligence, this tactic can actually increased terrorist recruitment.

State of number 2:
For obvious reasons, it is hard to assess how good our intelligence has been. On the one hand, Western governments have stopped terrorists groups in the last four years. On the other, the intelligence failures towards the war in Iraq and the torture techniques applied to prisoners for interrogation makes us not feel too confident of the U.S. intelligence effors.

A major problem for the U.S. is that it lacks people who understand Arabic to sift through information.

State of number 1:
Showing to the Middle East how the U.S. is a great nation with great regard for their culture and religion may prevent more people from joining terrorist cells. For a second, Bush claimed that he was going to follow this tactic. However, the realities of Abu Ghraib shattered any attempt to pull it off successfully.

Intelligence and public relations are the two most viable solutions. One aims at preventing actual attacks and the other one at preventing the recruitment of more terrorist.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 17:29

I think the solution to terrorism is so simple.

I don't notice New Zealand, Switzerland and Sweden having much problem with terrorism.

Governments of countries first concern is the welfare of their citizens. Not profiteering for coorperations, not ruling the world, not becoming international statesmen.

If you elect a government for your country that doesn't put you as it's first concern, you get what you deserve.

I blame the apathy and ignorance of the British public for the bomb attack.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by hugoestr

But what if terrorists aren't harbored by any country? What if they are just a large underground organization? In that case you won't wipe them out by attacking countries.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 18:24
 Terrorists dont just breed overnight  wanting to attack!  The Americans and British are prime targets for terrorism. Has anyone ever wondered why?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 18:59

You want to know what will happen? Well basically I have looked at this from every angle and there is no stragetic answer to the problem, all that can be done is the introduction of measures to MINIMIZE the damage terrorism can cause. It is an unwinnable war, but to not fight it would be worse than anything.

Here is what will happen though, I predict. The war against terror will continue, for the plethora of reasons for individuals flocking to violent causes cannot be eliminated. Eventually there will be an attack on civilians which is positively devastating, a nuke or bio/chemical weapon strike which will wipe out tens of thousands or perhaps millions. This will be the sting countries need to propel them into drastic totalitarian measures which are designed to comprehensively ensure state security. Identity cards, tougher cross-border security, internal visas etc which will stunt the growth of our global village. Terrorism is the one incredibly pervasive and invisible force which will cause so much of civilization to retrograde. But in the meantime, the fight continues.......

I hope with the greatest sincerity my prediction is wrong.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:10
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

But what if terrorists aren't harbored by any country? What if they are
just a large underground organization? In that case you won't wipe them
out by attacking countries.

If you reread the rest of my entry, you will see that I said that this tactic is not useful anymore.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:18
Originally posted by Constantine XI

You want to know what will happen? Well basically I have looked at this from every angle and there is no stragetic answer to the problem, all that can be done is the introduction of measures to MINIMIZE the damage terrorism can cause. It is an unwinnable war, but to not fight it would be worse than anything.

Here is what will happen though, I predict. The war against terror will continue, for the plethora of reasons for individuals flocking to violent causes cannot be eliminated. Eventually there will be an attack on civilians which is positively devastating, a nuke or bio/chemical weapon strike which will wipe out tens of thousands or perhaps millions. This will be the sting countries need to propel them into drastic totalitarian measures which are designed to comprehensively ensure state security. Identity cards, tougher cross-border security, internal visas etc which will stunt the growth of our global village. Terrorism is the one incredibly pervasive and invisible force which will cause so much of civilization to retrograde. But in the meantime, the fight continues.......

Tell the truth, Constantine. You must have gone to the thomas database and read over American bills, didn't you?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:22

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Here is what will happen though, I predict. The war against terror will continue, for the plethora of reasons for individuals flocking to violent causes cannot be eliminated. Eventually there will be an attack on civilians which is positively devastating, a nuke or bio/chemical weapon strike which will wipe out tens of thousands or perhaps millions. This will be the sting countries need to propel them into drastic totalitarian measures which are designed to comprehensively ensure state security. Identity cards, tougher cross-border security, internal visas etc which will stunt the growth of our global village. Terrorism is the one incredibly pervasive and invisible force which will cause so much of civilization to retrograde. But in the meantime, the fight continues.......

Tell the truth, Constantine. You must have gone to the thomas database and read over American bills, didn't you?

Sorry mate I don't quite follow.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:26
Many of the things that you described are actually American bills in the U.S. Congress. In other words, your prediction is already becoming a reality.

The online database for them is called Thomas, after Jefferson.
http://thomas.loc.gov/

Sorry for the obscure reference. I live near Washington D.C. and work in a politics related industry.

Edited by hugoestr
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:30
Easy: remove US military presence from all of the middle east and central asia, that will stop islamic terrorism against the West.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 19:40
Ohhhhhh hehe, I get you now. *sigh* it's so sad, how I yearn for the old days where the USA and USSR just impotently glared at eachother, fought the occasional proxy war and things were relatively predictable. Beats the sh*t out of the faceless foe we tackle today.

Edited by Constantine XI
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 20:25

Originally posted by Zagros Purya

Easy: remove US military presence from all of the middle east and central asia, that will stop islamic terrorism against the West.

Im not quite sure if that would completely work although the U.S should get the hell out of Iraq. however the U.S has a long history of sticking its nose where it does not belong. We are the most hated country around the world! Stands to reason.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 21:14
Well most terrorists, whether they be Osama bin Laden, Montana crazies, or Israeli settlers have one thing in common: they all want to fight over or do something involving Jerusalem.  The 3 branches of the worlds most violent cultural tradition can perhaps be pacified if we simply...how should I say this...removed Jerusalem from the picture?  Or at least settled it with Hindus or something.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 21:31
Or at least settled it with Hindus or something.

They'd demolish all the mosques/synagogues/chuches claiming they were ancient hindu temples and the sh*t would hit the fan all over again.
Best to turn it into one giant museum under UN administration or something, though then you'd have scams involving cheap souvenirs and good looking young tour guides.
Its a no win situation.
Arrrgh!!"
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 21:35
Yeah, before the terrorist killed the Egyptian ambassdor for Iraq, they told him is punishment was going to happen in this life, they said he was a "follower of the Jews and Christian Crusaders". Anyone see how these guys are using religeon and they believe in it so much. Osama only started to hate us when we put in a military base in Saudi Arabia to fight off Iraq in the Gulf War because Saudi Arabia is supposedly one of the Holy lands for arabs.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 23:05

I would fight in three areas:

1)Public Relations campaign
2)Intelligence about terrorists

Bush's plan so far is very strong on number 3, impossible to say on number 2, and very poor on number 1.

State of number 3:
The U.S. successfully destroyed major portions of Al-Qeada when it invaded Afghanistan. Unfortunately, there really isn't any other nation that sponsors terrorism left, except , maybe, Iran and Saudi Arabia. One is our ally and who know what will happen to the other. So far, I haven't seen any good evidence that recent terrorist attacks were sponsored by Iran.

The usefulness of this method has almost ran up its course. The Iraq disaster is a glaring example of its limitations: unless well planned and with correct intelligence, this tactic can actually increased terrorist recruitment.

State of number 2:
For obvious reasons, it is hard to assess how good our intelligence has been. On the one hand, Western governments have stopped terrorists groups in the last four years. On the other, the intelligence failures towards the war in Iraq and the torture techniques applied to prisoners for interrogation makes us not feel too confident of the U.S. intelligence effors.

A major problem for the U.S. is that it lacks people who understand Arabic to sift through information.

State of number 1:
Showing to the Middle East how the U.S. is a great nation with great regard for their culture and religion may prevent more people from joining terrorist cells. For a second, Bush claimed that he was going to follow this tactic. However, the realities of Abu Ghraib shattered any attempt to pull it off successfully.

Intelligence and public relations are the two most viable solutions. One aims at preventing actual attacks and the other one at preventing the recruitment of more terrorist.

i think i agree on many of the points you stated there.

the No.1 is the most important one and add to it more important part and that would be US policy in the Middel East, its presence and its support to Israel.

i know it was obvious that American Governmets, media and the rest of the population didnt like to hear WHY this happened when the US was under attack at 9/11. they just wanted to hear that these terrorest are attacking their freedom and Democracy and that they are jelouse from the US's life style.

which is not that true since the Attacks were mainly about what the US doing outside the US nothing to do with what is happening Inside the US.

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 05:46

Till now i think we have been fighting symptoms of the particular problem and not solving the problem itself. Actually it isnt entirely clear what the problem is. Some aspects of it have religious backgrounds, rich - poor gap, distribution of powers in international level, expelling the west from Mid-East in general - most notably stop supporting Israel , maybe even simple jealousy etc. Unfortunately some of these aspects do influence the lack of cooperation between countries and the desired unified stance against terrorism as it should be. 

Some of the most measures against terrorism should be rooting out the funding of terrorism, cut off the financial supporters of these groups - either they are governments, groups or individuals, with even more increased cooperation between countries intelligence services to get them,  of course active persecution of these criminals, prevention of people to become terrorists aka reducing their recruits.

If they address the needs of moderates within the community that spawned the terrorists this will isolate terrorists and robs them of support and recruits.  By contrast harsh actions against innocent civilians in the community that spawned the terrorists increase the support for these groups. Indeed one of the key aims of terrorism is to provoke these harsh measures.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 08:40

This statement is not intended to diminish the horror of the attack, but terrorism has been a world-wide problem even before Sept. 11, 2001.  The attacks of that date made it obvious that terrorist had grown (wrong word--sorry) only much more monsterous in their thinking and methods, but much more wide-spread.

I do not think any one post here will solve the problem of terrorism, but the situation seems to me that defeating the terrorists should begin with understanding their methods and who they are.  The reasons for thier acts is, in the beginning, secondary.  How do they work? Who do they recruit? How are recurits trained?  How are the lower (also probably the wrong word) members within the organization/network kept in line?  How are communications facilitated?  Where does the money come from?

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>