Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Constantinople 1453- The Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Constantinople 1453- The Movie
    Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 09:00
Dont know who first brought this up months ago, I think it was Eaglecap, but in any case, the thought has never left my mind!

The Fall of Constantinople in 1453- THE MOVIE

As to my knowledge neither Steven Spielberg nor Peter Jackson has any plans to make a movie about it, lets do it ourselves!
Just a few random thoughts.

Lets just presume, we want to pitch the idea to a big Hollywood studio, so they can turn the whole thing into a blockbuster summer hit with all the mods and cons. So we need to develop a few ideas about the film, about the characters, the settings, the special effects and so on.
It's quite obvious that the movie should take sides as there really can't any sides been taken anyway.

Now, we all have seen the recent sword and sandal epics, Troy, Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven etc, and they all seem to have the same ingredients:

1.     A certain license with historical accuracy, to one extent or another.
2.     Large battle scenes with giant computer generated armies.
3.     A love story, passionate but tragic
4.     Black and white characterisation( not that easy in this film, as it shouldnt offend either Christians or Muslims)

Im gonna start with the main protagonists. Its pretty obvious who they are, Constantine XI Dragas, Mehmet II, the Genoese Giovanni Guistiani, etc, etc,

But Ill begin with somebody else:

The engineer Urban.(neither good nor evil)
Urban is a tragic figure, the medieval prototype of the scientist who is not interested in the moral implications of his inventions, but only to put them into practise. Urban , a Christian of Hungarian(?) origin has great plans for an innovative artillery and tries first the Byzantine services, but cant realise his ideas here, as the Emperor hasnt got the financial means to do so. Urban isnt really motivated by money or other rewards, he just wants to build his canons and so he offers his services to the Sultan Mehmet II. The Sultan has the finances and the facilities and Urban constructs his enormous canons that are then used at the siege of C.
When Urban realises what damages to the city and his people inflict, he starts to become doubts, and soon to have feelings of guilt that he has contributed to the destruction of the great city, and unsuccessfully tries to sabotage his canons and commits suicide in the end.
How about Hugo Weaving( Elrond, Agent Smith) in the role?

The Venetian(definitely evil)
A fictious character, but embodying the position of the Venetians. He is an eminent Venetian, a member of the great council of the republic, who leaves Constantinople just before the start of the siege , but in full knowledge of both its extent and its timing. He has promised the Emperor to raise and organise help in Venice. But back home he tries everything to delay and undermine all efforts, as he secretely has opened negotiations with the Sultan, on order to safeguard Venetian interest after , what he thinks is going to be the inevitable conquest of C., not at least as he has some private financial interests in the Levant trade.( Maybe he could have a son, who is hopelessly in love with a Byzantine princess, and thus stays behind and gets eventually killed).
Kevin Spacey(Verbal in The Usual Suspects) maybe?

Anyway, you get my drift? Any more ideas?

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 09:02

I got a name for the movie:

THE CONQUEST

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 09:15
Originally posted by aknc

I got a name for the movie:

THE CONQUEST

Na, there was one already, but I don't think it was about 1453!

Needs to be more neutral!

Edited by Komnenos
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 09:26

I suggest that this movie should based on the book: Johannes Angelos by Mika Waltari. This is an excellent novel, on of my personal favourites. I think its story is worth filming.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 14:10

Lets hope, Turks fought in Istanbul also remembered.

Because History dont remember them.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 14:26
Also Mehmed moving the ships on the land in order to reach behind the chain closing the Golden Horn would be an interesting scene...
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 15:31
think the best scene would be the emperor charging against the upkcoming tide of janissaries(though it will last a very short time)
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 15:42
Originally posted by Murtaza

Lets hope, Turks fought in Istanbul also remembered.

Because History dont remember them.

I don't think anybody has quite forgotten that the Turks took part in the siege of 1453.
But I think, I know what you mean. There are too many romanticised accounts of the siege around, and amongst all the sympathies for the last Emperor one should remember that the attacking Turks fought with the same bravery as the defenders. It was not a fight between good and evil but between two Empires, the one old and decaying, the other young and up-coming.
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 15:45

Komnenos

What I told is, Turks fighting inside of castle, not Turks sieged castle.

I dont care much If they show us as evil.

If they prefer enemity between Turkey and EU, None will get any benefit.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by Murtaza

What I told is, Turks fighting inside of castle, not Turks sieged castle.

I dont care much If they show us as evil.

If they prefer enemity between Turkey and EU, None will get any benefit.

Wasn't it one of Mehmet's brothers who had sought refuge in Constantinople, and fought for the defence. Or have I mixed this up with some other event?

Edited by Komnenos
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 15:54

Yes, I am suprised you know it. I think People dont know it.

He had 700 soldier also. I have no sypmaty for him.

But I dont like it, noone remember them. Nor Turks neither other people.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 16:07

Well, Nor greeks neither Turks remember them. But At least one German remember them.

thanks Komnenos.

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 16:15
I thought the Venetians inside the city actually fought to the death in defense of Constantinople. It was the Genoans who fled when the walls were finally breached. The evil Italian should be from Genoa.

Just a suggestion here... I think it would be more interesting if the movie were through the eyes of a fictional Byzantine soldier, rather than the famous figures. Of course, you would still have to include the famous figures, but make the expendable soldier the main character. Then you would not have to worry about historical accuracy and create all the drama you want.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 16:38
Originally posted by Belisarius

I thought the Venetians inside the city actually fought to the death in
defense of Constantinople. It was the Genoans who fled when the walls
were finally breached. The evil Italian should be from Genoa.

Just a suggestion here... I think it would be more interesting if the
movie were through the eyes of a fictional Byzantine soldier, rather
than the famous figures. Of course, you would still have to include the
famous figures, but make the expendable soldier the main character.
Then you would not have to worry about historical accuracy and create
all the drama you want.

You're right there were some Venetians fighting inside the city, but I thought somebody should embody the position of the Venetian republic in general, and that was one of wait and see and be prepared for all eventualities, not so much caring about the fate of the Byzantines, but more for their profits in the Mediterranean trade.
And we have a Genoese already, Giustiniani, who was one of most important commanders of the defence. Two Genoese would only confuse, it's gonna be a Hollywood movie after all.
Apart from that, the Venetians are one of my pet hates, nice place, but 1204 and all that. They have to pay for that somehow.
Good idea, to base the film on the experiences of a single soldier, maybe a minor figure at the court, so he has access to the Emperor and all the big shots.
Or maybe, even a Turkish soldier, one could tell the whole story from a Turkish perspective, or from both.
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:34

Turkish perspective should be just a show, there is not a dram by Turkish point, but a conquest.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:58

How about the bloke who doesn't have a major speaking part but is often in shot, perhaps the bodyguard of a main character. Who is wearing clearly out of period armour.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 00:09
Assuming we get together a decent script and whatnot, how would this movie even happen? I do hope it does, I have been waiting a long time for a movie on Byzantium. I had hoped of one about Belisarius, since his life was already full of action and drama. But alas, Edward Gibbon had to mess it up for everyone. I hope Belisarius and the Bulgaroctonus are kicking him in the face in the afterlife.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 14:02
I own a copy of an amimated film produced in english by an Islamic organization that is called - "Fatih: Sultan Muhammad". It covers the battle of Varna by Sultan Murad II and his twice abdicated thrown for Sultan Mehmed. When Fatih comes of age, the film shifts into the siege of Constantinople. Captain Baltaoglu, ships transported over the hills, Genoese, Venetians and the Battles between Byzantium and the Ottomans are covered. In this movie, Urban the engineer is captured to saftey by the Turks from a Byzantine jail.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 03:33
Another interesting scene: Sultan is entering Hagia Sophia with his soldiers and saying the Byzantines over there:"We wouldn't harm any of you.You will live in your city as it didn't invaded etc. etc."
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 05:09

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Another interesting scene: Sultan is entering Hagia Sophia with his soldiers and saying the Byzantines over there:"We wouldn't harm any of you.You will live in your city as it didn't invaded etc. etc."

That would be hard, since those in Agia Sophia were rounded up and sold as slaves.

Going back to the Venetians, they were mainly interested in keeping their priviledges and continuing commerse. During the siege they continued to paly a double game, selling goods and information to both Greeks and Ottomans. When the city was being bombed, their neigborhood was left unharmed.

Another insident was a group of a few hundred Cretan soldiers, who had barricated inside a small castle at the coast and would not surrender, even after the city had fallen. When the Sultan heard that, he allowed them to take a ship and leave the city unharmed.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>