Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Armies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Which Ancient Army was the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [40.65%]
18 [14.63%]
32 [26.02%]
2 [1.63%]
1 [0.81%]
20 [16.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Armies
    Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 00:01
Depends on the ground. Didnt Chinese armies relly heavily on cavalry? If so, then would would get woomped in a flat plain.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 00:41

Perhaps hiring phallanx units as well, that would put a stop to most calvary charges in some areas.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:50

co-ordinated units of missile cavalry supported by light cavalry could disperse phallanx.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:53

use 1/4 of fast shooters from front, flank with 3/4 and rain arrows, keep light cavalry 50 yards hidden behind, if enemy cavalry charges, disperse and make room for light cavalry to hit enemy cavalry.

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 13:55

The best army Arminious army of totoun they cruhed roman army led by Varous in Germania 9 A.D .

Hannibal too becmame very close to destroy rome but this is the fate saved rome when Nero found  letter between Hasdrobal and Hannibal by it he know the tactic of Hamlecar's  sons.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 14:05
Originally posted by Rome

There to weak

what you mean too weak you are kidding how could you say that meopotamian armies such as Akkadian,Assyrian,Chaldean  were trong armies Akkadian found the first empire in the world   Assyrian made an empire from Iran to Egypt  and defeated Egyption army on the Nile and you tell me they were weak
Khalid Bin Walid
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 16:32
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

Originally posted by Rome

There to weak

what you mean too weak you are kidding how could you say that meopotamian armies such as Akkadian,Assyrian,Chaldean  were trong armies Akkadian found the first empire in the world   Assyrian made an empire from Iran to Egypt  and defeated Egyption army on the Nile and you tell me they were weak

That was hundreds of years before Roman Empire, at the time of the Roman Empire, they weren't very strong. Weren't some of Mesopotamia in the Selucid Empires hands?

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:00
in fact, from Babylonian Empire we haven't seen any kingdom ruled by Akkadians/Assyrians or Chaldeans. Ahmed, unfortunately you are misunderstanding the definition of this topic!
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:21
btw, who voted for Persians 7 times?! I'm amazed Greeks didn't participated in this poll.
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:31
I voted to Persia,what is your problem ramin?
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:32

Hey ramin jan,picture jadide man chetore?

ی

Edited by Ardashir
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 14:58
I didn't vote. and Your avator is not nice.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 15:13
assyrian army
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 16:26

Originally posted by ramin

I didn't vote. and Your avator is not nice.

wat is it?

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 16:54
it's Saudi Arabia's national flag, and it reads something like "God and only this God" maybe some Arabs can help you read it. anyway, he replaced the word Allah with a locust.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 18:47

Originally posted by ramin

btw, who voted for Persians 7 times?! I'm amazed Greeks didn't participated in this poll.

In my opinion a properly lead Khosro Parviz era Sassani army would pwn.

minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 20:33
The Romans had way too much stuff to lug around.  The Huns easily caused chaos and had little problems defeating them.
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 22:33

Originally posted by strategos

Weren't some of Mesopotamia in the Selucid Empires hands?

In fact, all of it fell into Seleukid hands in the 3rd C. BC.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 14:30

That was hundreds of years before Roman Empire, at the time of the Roman Empire, they weren't very strong. Weren't some of Mesopotamia in the Selucid Empires hands?

[/QUOTE]

I know that before hundred years but Egypt too in that time under potelomy dynaty .where is your point .

This topic about all ancient era is it or not?

Khalid Bin Walid
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

I know that before hundred years but Egypt too in that time under potelomy dynaty .where is your point .

This topic about all ancient era is it or not?

[/QUOTE]

Well because Mesopotamian armies 200-300 years earlier would be smashed by the Roman armies. Someone said they were too weak, and in truth, they could not beat out a well lead Roman Army.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>