Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your opinion about the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Poll Question: What comes to mind when you hear United States?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [14.81%]
5 [18.52%]
1 [3.70%]
15 [55.56%]
2 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your opinion about the USA
    Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:28

Actually I would say most Americans know their past from their home country.  I know my parents do quite well, as do I. 

But America is probally the most diverse country in the wolrd which is one of our reasons for success. 

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:37

I do not see a major problem with this type of polls. However, opening poll options such as I hate that country seems to me a violation to AE Code of Conduct.

Either the options should be revised in way that do not invite to inflamatory comments, or closed.

Regards
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:39
I have never figured out a way to edit polls Don't think there is a way.,
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:54
I like the US alot. Raised here, schooled here and live here. We have alot to offer in the way of education, business, civil rights and entertainment. I take much pride in my American heritage, I also take alot of pride in my Turkish heritage too. Being highly educated and blessed with a great family and friends makes me appreciate my livelyhood here. That makes me partial to the United States. I will add that I am quick to question and speak up about problems and corrections I believe in. On the other hand, some frustrations will continue as long as I see ourselves or others suffer because of our policies. Such is life. Dive into it!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 18:07
I don't see a problem with the term "hate" up there.  People here ofte say (or imply) that they hate the US.  Is it a violation of rules?
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 18:55

Not the feeling, but express it in a way that invites to bitter argumentations.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 19:18
Perhaps, I probally would have used dislike, but I wouldn't shut this topic just because of that.
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 21:08

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Hardly so! Americans have long molded into a single nation, not ethnically naturally, but just like any other western nation. This statement, that America is the perfect combination of over half of the worlds cultures is bogus - of course there are social differences on cultural levels, and different religious factions act across the country, but not unlike any other country. Americas local culture has ripped away whatever any of these immigrant cultures may have brought centuries, a century, or years ago. Now it is a single mass with little factions here and there. A common American hardly knows anything about Brittish or Arab culture and those whose ancestors once immigrated from those cultural areas would rather go watch the super bowl than know about the history of their former home. So what i think i am saying is, that leave the blabber of America being a symbiosis of worlds cultures to the romantics and movie directors who make annual films about America saving the Earth from aliens etc.

I never said America or Americans were a perfect combination of anything. I simply said that plurality is a necessity in the USA.  Put in other words, there is no "Common American."  As for your idea that some folks who would rather watch the super bowl, than learn anything about their ancestors, I think you are mistaken.  My own ancestors immigrated from Ireland (Kildare) in the 1840s to serve in the US Army.  During the Civil War, he was commissioned as an officer for the Union and eventually made Captain.  After the war he settled in Waukegan, Illinois, married, and had 2 sons.   Btw, I haven't watched the super bowl in years; I prefer hockey (Go Flyers!) and baseball.

The other mistake you make is that folks are still coming to America on a daily basis.  New citizens are made almost daily as well.  Can you say the same for Estonia?

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 06:43
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Anyways, how did we side with Napoleon? 

In the War of 1812.

I accept of course that from some French points of view, siding with Napoleon was a good thing.

As for WWII, we declared war on German and Japan before they did us. 

Nope. The attack on Pearl Harbour was not preceded by a formal declaration of war, but it itself was a declaration alright. And the German government declared war on the US in conformity with their mutual defence treaty with Japan.

This is the text of Roosevelt's message to Congress on December 11 1941:

"To the Congress of the United States:

On the morning of Dec. 11 the Government of Germany, pursuing its course of world conquest, declared war against the United States. The long-known and the long-expected has thus taken place. The forces endeavoring to enslave the entire world now are moving toward this hemisphere. Never before has there been a greater challenge to life, liberty and civilization. Delay invites great danger. Rapid and united effort by all of the peoples of the world who are determined to remain free will insure a world victory of the forces of justice and of righteousness over the forces of savagery and of barbarism. Italy also has declared war against the United States.

I therefore request the Congress to recognize a state of war between the United States and Germany, and between the United States and Italy.

Franklin D. Roosevelt"

Note that he states that Germany (and Italy for that matter had ALREADY declared war on the US, and he only asks Congress, not for a declaration, but for a RECOGNITION that war already existed.

The full text of Roosevelt's message is at:

http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/germwar.html

The kind of distortion of the truth you engage in here helps get the US resented. As does the fact that generations of Americans have been brought up to believe an untruth.

I believe of course that FDR welcomed the fact that Germany had forced the issue, since he himself might well have entered the war earlier. But there was no way, in the political situation of the time, that he could have got a declaration of war out of Congress.

And we did save France, Britain, Russia, and Europe from the Germans.  Whether it came in the form of lend-lease or American lives.  However you look at it we saved you.

No-one I think denies that the US helped. But take a look at the numbers of soldiers and civilians killed in the war. Take a look at the numbers of troops involved (discounting here those involved against Japan). Teke a look at the size of the populations involved at the time.

Once Hitler invaded the USSR in June 1941 (at least, once it became obvious that he came as a conqueror not a liberator, which didn't take long)  Germany's eventual defeat became inevitable. Germany's sole chance of winning lay in its initial blitzkrieg being sufficient to occupy Britain - or at least cut Britain off from the Commonwealth - and take Moscow and Leningrad.

By the time US troops came into action, all of these had failed.

Of course there are a lot more detailed considerations, including especially the fact that Pearl Harbour brough both Japan AND the US into play. But essentially there's no more truth in 'The US saved Europe from the Germans' than there is in 'The US declared war on Germany'.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 06:45

Actually I would say most Americans know their past from their home country.  I know my parents do quite well, as do I. 

But America is probally the most diverse country in the wolrd which is one of our reasons for success. 

And the reasons for your failures?

Or doesn't the US have failures?

mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 08:28
Originally posted by gcle2003

And the reasons for your failures?

Or doesn't the US have failures?

Ah! Our strength is our weakness.  Plurality isn't easy, and yes, we've had all sorts of failures.  Just what those failures are is a matter of political and historical debate.  Right now, the debate seems to be over morality.  Just how much hedonistic excess is allowed?  Some believe there's not enough.  Some believe there's too much. 

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 09:50

You are correct that German declared war on America.  ACtually, we were the only country that Germany declared war.

ANd I'd like to point out that wars are not won by men alone.  Nor should a countries contributions to a war be messured by how many men fought and died.  America helped alot with money and matterial.  Lend-Lease helped keep Britain and Russia alive in its darkest days.  Once Russia got back on its own feet, they began to make their won matterial, but without America, they would not have had that chance.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 09:59

ACtually, we were the only country that Germany declared war.

apart from Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Yugoslavia, Greece and the Soviet Union.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 10:41
No, they just attacked thos countries.  They never officially declared war, if I'm not mistake.  I don't believe part of the Blitzkrieg was to warn them first.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 10:49

You are correct that German declared war on America. 

And you wrong. For which I note you are not apologising.

ACtually, we were the only country that Germany declared war.

Wrong again. But Mixcoatl has dealt with that one.

ANd I'd like to point out that wars are not won by men alone.  Nor should a countries contributions to a war be messured by how many men fought and died. 

Why not? Because when you do that the chief contributor to beating Germany would be the Soviet Union?

It seems a not insignificant criterion. The point is that claiming 'America saved Europe from the Germans' rather implies that America made considerable sacrifices for other people and those other people should be grateful for that. Now you're complaining that, well, after all, the actiual degree of sacrifice is not all that important.

America helped alot with money and matterial.  Lend-Lease helped keep Britain and Russia alive in its darkest days. 

No-one is denying that. But it's a far cry from there to 'The US saved Europe'. Moreover, that hardly applies to WWI, when again, the US claims to have 'saved Europe'.

In both wars, America's eventual involvement hastened the end for Germany. In the first (in which it is true America declared war) the American role was truly minor, but was enough to tip the balance as support for the war fell apart in Germany itself.

In the second the role of the US was still greater, but it still only started, on the ground, when Germany had in fact been fought to a standstill in the West, North Africa, and the Soviet Union, and in the latter two cases the tide had started to turn. 

Once Russia got back on its own feet, they began to make their won matterial, but without America, they would not have had that chance.

Think about it. You're making my point for me. Britain, France, the Soviet Union, the various Commonwealth countries and smaller European countries had fought for years to hold off Germany and give the US a chance to develop its war potential in safety. And even then, the US was not prepared to join the war until it was forced to (as I gather you're now willing to admit).

You don't want to count men and deaths and sacrifice as measures of a country's contribution. However, it wouldn't seem a bad idea to count the available population and mineral and other resource available, including money, as measures of a country's ability to wage war. Do that as of 1939 and Germany was always going to be beaten, unless, as I pointed out, its original superiority in war readiness and equipment, and in strategic and tactical thinking allowed it to deliver a quick knock-out blow.

It didn't do that, and it was doomed.

In war as in boxing, the good big un may not always beat the good littl'un, but that's the way to bet. 

PS If you want some safer ground, claim that the US saved Europe from the Soviet Union after 1945. There's a much better case for that.

As long of course as you don't make the mistake that I've seen recently in the US of viewing the Berlin airlift as an American operation.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 13:17

"The other mistake you make is that folks are still coming to America on a daily basis.  New citizens are made almost daily as well.  Can you say the same for Estonia?"

No, of course not.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 19:15

The results of this poll are irrelevant.  The United States will address its own interests without regard to the opinions of others...as ALL nations do.

Since Sept. 11, 2001, no acts of terrorism have occurred on U.S. soil.  Why?  The war has been carried to other lands where these filth will have to spend their time and resources hiding from and dodging American power.  If you don't like it, too bad.  Get over it.  We do it because we can.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 19:22

I have to say that if Iraq has done nothing else it has atleast brought all the terrorists to one place for us to destroy.  It is much easier than them coming to us or us hunting for them in 20 different countries.

And Pike has a point.  America doesn't complain about what Europe does, so why do they care so much about running our government.  We are going to do things that others don't like.

PatriotMan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote PatriotMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 03:14
I myself love my country..I am a son of the revolution.  My family has been here from the very begining.  I would gladly give my life for this country whether or not its somthing i believe in as long as i die by my flag.  
"Pain is Weakness leaving the body"
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2005 at 04:54

"The results of this poll are irrelevant.  The United States will address its own interests without regard to the opinions of others...as ALL nations do."

Naturally not all nations, as a citizen of the US you should know it first hand as your country prevents a number of nations from doing so. Logic my friend.

"Since Sept. 11, 2001, no acts of terrorism have occurred on U.S. soil.  Why?  The war has been carried to other lands where these filth will have to spend their time and resources hiding from and dodging American power.  If you don't like it, too bad.  Get over it.  We do it because we can."

Yes, and this powerplay of America is what brought the planes into your  two towers in the first place. Also, i hardly think the terrorists have any more trouble today of coming to blow up American soil than they had 4 years ago without the Iraq War, and if it were the case, it could preferably be a political or a military instalment this time as it would bring the point of attacks closer to the public, but then again, maybe they were pissed in the first place that you had murdered their women and children somewhere innocent, and therefore gave your own medicine. Don't ban me yet for supporting and promoting terror!

"And Pike has a point.  America doesn't complain about what Europe does, so why do they care so much about running our government.  We are going to do things that others don't like."

Are you kidding, America is world power who has to have huge interests in what the neighbour continent is doing, and bitching about its politics is one way of keeping his authority.

Why do others care (although not about running your government, but how you run it), you already answered your question in the following sentence, logical... no?

"I would gladly give my life for this country whether or not its somthing i believe in as long as i die by my flag."

So you would be non-patriotic towards your ancestors is what you are saying, because i believe that your beliefs about your country have to do mostly with the democratic background of it? And you are saying that you would also die for it, if it was a communist police state?

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>