Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your opinion about the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Poll Question: What comes to mind when you hear United States?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [14.81%]
5 [18.52%]
1 [3.70%]
15 [55.56%]
2 [7.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your opinion about the USA
    Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 20:04

One half of my brain (probably the part which is responsible for objective thought) tells me to STAY THE HELL AWAY! While the other half (subjective) tells me to make some sort of contribution.

Well I will contribute, not to vent my spleen but just to make a CONSTRUCTIVE contribution to the topic. The USA has been responsible for many great achievements, we have an abundance of technological, social, political, ecclesiastical and other benefits as a result of the vast creativity of the American nation. As part of the developed world the people of my country have been able to partake in the fruits this impressive nation has to offer. Personally I have probably only met two dozen Americans in my life, all of them from either work or university. My impression of them is mostly good, they have their fair share of flaws and virtues the same as every other people in the world. So basically I quite like Americans and alot of what their country has contributed to the world.

But there are negative points which the beginner of this post wants to learn more about. So I shall try and articulate why it is so many (and you would be surprised how many) different nations of people have a negative opinion of the USA.

Firstly there is a perceived attitude that Americans are very insular and ignorant of the outside world, a worrying trait for a people who seem to have a reach that extends to every area of the globe. I read a statistic I am not sure I can believe, that only 5-10% of American citizens have passports. Again I don't know if that is true, but if it is it's quite shocking.

Another vice is leadership. Again, I must point out I am presenting the views of many disenchanted people in the world, not my own. Yesterday I read an article in the paper which truly surprised me. In one poll Americans had ranked their favourite people and at the top of the list, right above George Washington, was Ronald Reagan. Bush Jr. was sixth on the list. Their qualities aside, these men are widely regarded as intellectual lightweights with a poor grasp of cosmopolitanism. In positions of leadership of the leading nation of the planet, it worries the people of that world that such individuals who were never credited with a deeper intellectual understanding of the globe are now in positions of immense power. I know they have been used alot but comments such as "I know what it means to put food on your family" and "imports and exports are important sources of overseas trade" do not inspire much confidence. It is easy to look up to and admire men like Lincoln and Washington on which the USA was built, but with many of the more recent American Presidents most non-Americans would rather look the other way.

Another vice many in the world perceive is one of avarice and greed. It may not be true that this is the case, but how much did Bush pledge to help Tsunami victims after the disaster? A government which claims to want to create a freer world and bring people together pledged a tiny amount compared to what it spends on its military. The tsunami was a big chance for the US government to show it had a genuine interest in the welfare of the world's people. Bush offered only a small amount (a few hundred million I think) immediately which he later raised due to pressure, while I know the Australian government immediately offered one billion dollars. It sets a poor standard for a government to justify a number of wars with the good of humanity in mind, while at the same time when a natural disaster occurs it offers a fraction of the relief made by countries many times smaller than itself.

Basically without writing a thesis these are a few key reasons why some people dislike the USA. It is perceived as having changed from what it one was. Again I like most of what America and Americans are about and I mean nobody any offence or disrespect. I am simply presenting some reasons why certain people in the world think differently.

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 21:51
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Another vice is leadership. Again, I must point out I am presenting the views of many disenchanted people in the world, not my own. Yesterday I read an article in the paper which truly surprised me. In one poll Americans had ranked their favourite people and at the top of the list, right above George Washington, was Ronald Reagan. Bush Jr. was sixth on the list. Their qualities aside, these men are widely regarded as intellectual lightweights with a poor grasp of cosmopolitanism. In positions of leadership of the leading nation of the planet, it worries the people of that world that such individuals who were never credited with a deeper intellectual understanding of the globe are now in positions of immense power. I know they have been used alot but comments such as "I know what it means to put food on your family" and "imports and exports are important sources of overseas trade" do not inspire much confidence. It is easy to look up to and admire men like Lincoln and Washington on which the USA was built, but with many of the more recent American Presidents most non-Americans would rather look the other way.

Another vice many in the world perceive is one of avarice and greed. It may not be true that this is the case, but how much did Bush pledge to help Tsunami victims after the disaster? A government which claims to want to create a freer world and bring people together pledged a tiny amount compared to what it spends on its military. The tsunami was a big chance for the US government to show it had a genuine interest in the welfare of the world's people. Bush offered only a small amount (a few hundred million I think) immediately which he later raised due to pressure, while I know the Australian government immediately offered one billion dollars. It sets a poor standard for a government to justify a number of wars with the good of humanity in mind, while at the same time when a natural disaster occurs it offers a fraction of the relief made by countries many times smaller than itself.

I'd like to say something about these two points.

First of all about the leadership.  The thing with Europeans and Asians is that they are all lumped together on one continent while Americans have only Canada and Mexico and neighbors.  Thus is is much more likely that European and Asian leaders are going to be a better cosmopolitans.  It is a matter of the situation and what is needed.  I los believe that most Americans do not care what others think, and I would not be surprised if only 10% of Americans have passports; we just don't need or use them.  Europeans seem to have the need to travel, even if they don't like America

As for the tsunami, unless something has chnage, America gave the most money second only to Japan, so please don't hold that against us especially when we are in the middle of a war.

Edited by Thegeneral
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 00:21
Since I identify the USA with the people of USA, and I'm one of this people, I voted that I love it.  It is the few elitists in the government that messed everything up.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 02:14

Originally posted by MengTzu

Since I identify the USA with the people of USA, and I'm one of this people, I voted that I love it.  It is the few elitists in the government that messed everything up.

Yea very true that.

Knowledge View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Knowledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 02:23
I also want to know if there is a way to change certain
perspectives about Americans being all that is
wrong and bad in this world, which I am sure many
people from many countries feel this way. But there
is a catch to this inquiry, these perspectives cannot
be changed by use of our so called "Leaders" of this
nation. Is it possible?
Knowledge knows best
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 04:03
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Something tells me that perhaps you did not just say you were glad the SAS was helping.

That is exactly, and all, I said in the conversation.

1.  If arrogance, boastfullness, and lack of respect doesn't aply to most of the population, then why do people think of us that way?

Because it applies to the most visible, outspoken and public section of the population.

2.  Actually we have more than 5% of the worlds population

I used 300 million and 6 billion. That's 5% but I agree it's an approximation. However, I thought the US population was less than 300 million while the world's was greater than 6 billion. Is that wrong?

which uses most of our own resources with little importation of foreign resources, except for oil. 

Big exception. And if I were you I would look at current figures for minerals in general. It's true that the US USED to be self-sufficient in pretty well everything, but it's not true any more.

And I don't know where you get we use borrowed money.

From the $4 billion a day you borrow.

3.  And how does the administration justify any of that?

Some of this stuff seems very absurd.

Not an uncommon comment from people suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 04:08
I like it's people,but i dislike their goverment.They have so much power,but instead of helping poor nations,they prefer to make them suffer more.The "virus" of the superpower.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 04:11

[QUOTE=gcle2003]

It's true that the US USED to be self-sufficient in pretty well everything, but it's not true any more.

[QUOTE]

I should have added that the US probably COULD be self-sufficient again. It isn't because the culture is so wasteful, from the size of portions served in restaurants through energy-wasteful house designs to the proportion of SUVs and pick-up trucks being driven by people who don't need them.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 04:34

i think Arabs in general dont like the US government for one main reason is that US's Blind support to Israel and not being neutral about the problem.

and i think that was one of the main reasons for the terrorest activites against the US.

its always about the Jews.

other than this i think the majority of the Arabs admire US acheivements in many feilds such as sceince.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 05:40

Let me give my opinion on the USA.

It's a young country that has reached the first place in the world really fast. I admire how US people are proud of their country. They have always be prompt to give their blood to help their allies. At that time, USA are powerfull enough to protect our christian civilization, like people of the "old" Europe have done before them. May it lasts! I will never give any lesson like many do.

Hope France will have the opportunity to be at their side once again and we will pay our debt of honor.

human View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 06:02
Originally posted by Alparslan

I do not hate USA. I do not like it on the other hand......

But the regime in USA is at he hands of the "darkest" people on the world. They are really bad.

USA is a country which is ruled by democratic manipulations so non-democratic. They do not have anything to export such as "democracy". If you do not have enough money to make lobby, it means that you do not have right to say in administrative and judiciary level.

Oil and arms industry are abusing American citizens, manipulate them and send them to die in dirty wars. They are also mostly controlling media.

I wonder how Bush has been reelected after being proofed that his administration lied constantly for an unfair war costing hundred thousands of life and billions of dollars.

Could any American explain me this nonsense political life in USA?

These are the words that i was ready to write!

You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 07:31
Originally posted by TirezLesPremiers

They have always be prompt to give their blood to help their allies.

You mean like in 1914 and 1939 (1937 if you are Chinese)?

The US didn't join WWII until (a) the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and (b) the Germans declared war on them. When Europe was struggling to free itself from Napoleon, the US sided with Napoleon.

The US record has of course been better post-1945, especially in the early cold war, resisting the Soviet Union, and in Korea. But unthinking and uninformed comments about 'the US has saved Europe twice', or 'without the US Europe would be speaking German' are exactly the kind of thing that heighten resentment against the US.

'Resent' is incidentally a better word than 'hate', I think.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 07:49
Originally posted by gcle2003

You mean like in 1914 and 1939 (1937 if you are Chinese)?

Yes. Like in 1917 and 1941.

The US didn't join WWII until (a) the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and (b) the Germans declared war on them.

"Prompt" was maybe not adequate. But I was not speaking about politicians decision but about people sacrifice. This is a fact that we have a debt.

When Europe was struggling to free itself from Napoleon, the US sided with Napoleon.

Yes and that's making me closer to them.

But unthinking and uninformed comments about 'the US has saved Europe twice', or 'without the US Europe would be speaking German' are exactly the kind of thing that heighten resentment against the US.

Explain me why.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:03

Tires, you are the first Frenchman I have any respect for so far!  My stance toward France seems to be changine.

Anyways, how did we side with Napoleon?  I believe we stayed nuetral and the only thing we had with Napoleon was the fact that we bought the Lousiana purchase from him.  But that was purley buisness.

As for WWII, we declared war on German and Japan before they did us.  And we did save France, Britain, Russia, and Europe from the Germans.  Whether it came in the form of lend-lease or American lives.  However you look at it we saved you.

I have to say that Europeans just seem to be so miliatily stuck up that if any country helps them they seem to try to cover it up.  But now people are going to say "Well thats why we dislike America.  You brag too much".  But it is not bragging.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:17

so Thegeneral

did you find an answer to your Question"why do they hate us?" and i think Bush asked the same Question too.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 11:56
I think that may be why some hate us, but it is incorrect.
mord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote mord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 16:00

America and its people are a complicated problem.  I do not know why people like to bash the nation--maybe its because America isn't really a nation.  An answer to those who that USA is insular would be look at the:

Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, Arab-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, African-Americans, Jewish-Americans, Catholic-Americans, Protestant-Americans, Muslim-Americans, Atheist-Americans, Buddhist-Americans, Mexican-Americans, German-Americans, Polish-Americans, Indian-Americans (Hindu), Alien-Americans (if "The Weekly World News" is to be believed), Native-Americans and whatever-Americans.  Our view on the rest of the world is that it's welcome here to come and work.

If America is anything, it's a combination of cultures, a clash of views.   Plurality of necessity is the American way. 

But then there is Corporate America, which would have everybody believe that an American drives an air-conditoned, 800 Gazillion horse-power, gas-guzzling bright red convertable up to a pick-up window of a fast food joint for a low-cal cheeseburger, fries and drink.   This is not the truth--but is it what Americans want?  I don't know; I don't know if Americans know.  A friend of mine wants security for her family;  another friend wants a permanent job, and yet another friend wants cultural rebellion. 

Also, there is political America.  And it's politics that is polerizing the USA.  Some leave political decisions in the hands of a God and his self-proclaimed representatives.  Others are actively against this idea.  Everybody sees problems here:  corruption, terrorism, greed, debt--a massive feeling of dis-satisified dehumanization.  We can't make up our collective minds, and the politicians have to think winning an election by a single-digit percentage is a mandate.  But once somebody acts, it always seems half-hearted because someone will disagree with it.

I don't know if the world realizes all of this.  Some folks will probably see this post as arrogant, boastful, and rude.  But before criticizing America, try explaining it.  I've done the best I can do here.

Mord.

errr...left turn at vinland?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 16:06
A point Mord made was that "Americans are everything from Arabs to British.  So for one to bash America is to bash their own people and culture because thats what America is; a great big meeting place for the World populace.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 16:40
Hardly so! Americans have long molded into a single nation, not ethnically naturally, but just like any other western nation. This statement, that America is the perfect combination of over half of the worlds cultures is bogus - of course there are social differences on cultural levels, and different religious factions act across the country, but not unlike any other country. Americas local culture has ripped away whatever any of these immigrant cultures may have brought centuries, a century, or years ago. Now it is a single mass with little factions here and there. A common American hardly knows anything about Brittish or Arab culture and those whose ancestors once immigrated from those cultural areas would rather go watch the super bowl than know about the history of their former home. So what i think i am saying is, that leave the blabber of America being a symbiosis of worlds cultures to the romantics and movie directors who make annual films about America saving the Earth from aliens etc.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 17:26
Originally posted by mord

If America is anything, it's a combination of cultures, a clash of views.   Plurality of necessity is the American way. 

I opine that this is the case of virtually every country, just that it's more obvious in some than in others.  Some purport that their country is a continuous whole since antiquity, but in reality virtually no such country exists anymore.  Every country contains some kind of hybrid culture.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>