Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mayans , Incas and the Aztecs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayans , Incas and the Aztecs
    Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 01:01

Well, Tobo. The conquistadores had to justify their criminal acts in the New World by saying that the naturals of America were a bunch of backwards, ignorant, cruel blood thirsty, etc.

Theres a very recurrent " theory " about the lack of proteins on the mesoamerican diet that eventually drived to the canibalism.

However, the maize ( Zea Mays ) was imported from Mexico to the World. The maize is rich on proteins, just as the rice or the weath.

Secondly, if the Aztecs were canibals, why they were defeated by the famine during the siege of Tenochtitlan. If they were canibals as the " historians " says, why not to sacrifice someone to ingest his/her flesh. Purely non sense propanga spread to justify the slaughter.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 07:22
And even if they were bloodthirsty cannibals, that doesn't make them less interesting does it?

Secondly, if the Aztecs were canibals, why they were defeated by the famine during the siege of Tenochtitlan. If they were canibals as the " historians " says, why not to sacrifice someone to ingest his/her flesh. Purely non sense propanga spread to justify the slaughter.

I think the Aztecs did eat humans during the siege of Tenochtitlan,but only because there was a severe food shortage. Spanish soldiers saw Aztecs eating humans, and thought it was a general practice. In besieged Leningrad in WW2 cannibalism was also practized, but that doesn't make Russians cannibals.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 16:23

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

There is little documentation of Aztec cannibalism. There are only four accounts of cannibalism from the date of the conquest, none of them particularly suggestive of widespread ritual cannibalism, and only one -- the Ramirez codex -- (equivocally) tying cannibalism to ritual sacrifice. The four specific accounts of cannibalism are:

Seems this Guy has never read Bernal Diaz who documents canilbalism on practically every third page of his book.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 01:00
Actually the mayan system sint  hexadeciamal its doudecacimal (the base is the number 20

as the arabic its a decimal one 1253, the number to the right units, next x10, next x100 etc.... in the mayan system it's like that the highest number you can write it's 20 =----( i can't write them as they should be it's one above the other 
-
-
-
-             like that if you want to write 17 its           -
                                                                               -
                                                                               -
                                                                               ..

and the "levels" are vertical ones like the levels in the arabic sistem are horizontal, example: 4l5l5l4l6 so the first 4 its x10000, the following 5 x1000, the next 5 x100, following 4 x10. in the mayan system the "levels" are multiplied x20 and are vertcal levels so for example

here the numbers equals to the number x1 so - means 5, max number =20

------------------

here the numbers equals to x20 so - means 100 and . means 20
max number ---- = 400

--------------------

here the numbers equals to x400(20x20) so . equals to 400 and - equals to 2000
Max number 8000

-------------------

and goes on like this.
Hope i've explained myself
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 15:23
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Well, Tobo. The conquistadores had to justify their criminal acts in the New World by saying that the naturals of America were a bunch of backwards, ignorant, cruel blood thirsty, etc.

...Purely non sense propanga spread to justify the slaughter.

Both false.

First, Spanish chroniclers were not the conquestadors (captains) themselves. They usually recorded facts in such a detailed way that many conquestadors had to justify theirs actions before the King, and most ended badly.

Second, the records of the Spaniards match archaelogical evidency and even facts apported by Natives themselves, and in Native legends as well. Take a look at the Popol Vuh for instance.

The practise of human sacrifice was widespread in the Americas from the Anazasis to Patagonia. Remains exists in cultures like the Moche, Maya, Aztec and Teotihuacan that prove without doubt that ritual sacrifice existed. In the andes, the frozen mummies that have been found also prove those sacrifices existed in the Andes region.

The frequency of these acts was low, with the exception of the Aztecs which had large number of human sacrifices performed continuosly. Also, a group of perhaps 500 Spaniards and its people was found sacrificed not long ago in Mexico, killed during the conquest.

It is also well known that although canibalism was not widespread, but ritual canibalism (eating some "magical" portion of the body) was common between Aztecs and in Patagonia. There is known that at least 80 Spaniards were canibalized in Hispaniola after contact.

That doesn't change facts. One of the first things we learn at school here in South America is the see the facts like they really were. Natives were and are just humans, and theirs societies have both glory and misery. Spaniards also had theirs glory and its misery. Just realize both were just human beings!

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 25-Sep-2007 at 15:26
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 02:26
the maya had the intelligence and skill to have rivaled the triple alliance (aztec), but they were fragmented, and had a somewhat different mindset.

The aztec were examples of some of the most successful type of people in history- what I tend to call "The smart barbarians", who use both ruthlessness and combat skill from their difficult pasts and intelligence and pragmatism to succeed. One could argue that in a way, the romans were examples of this, as were the vikings.

The maya were both skilled and intelligent, but I think they could not have matched the Triple Alliance in battle, although the aztec would have had a difficult time of it.

Note, I do not use "barbarian" as a negative term. I do not, either, mean to suggest that the triple alliance was somehow horribly, horribly ruthless, merely that this was a (fairly useful) characteristic they possessed perhaps slightly more than the maya.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 04:22

I would say Mayans a group of independent and fighting city states, like the ancient Greeks or the Italian cities of the Renascence. Aztecs were a confederation of states and the Incas a real empire. You can compare Mayans with Greeks and Incas with Romans.... the same idea.

Aztecs used human sacrifice as a policy of state. We should remember, though, that execution is not considered human sacrifice, and that was a common practise done by Romans, Chineses and others when they captured cities: they usually killed many of its inhabitants, specially enemy soldiers. Most of the victims of human sacrifices, indeed, were foreigneirs. In some sense, there is no much difference except for the religious aspect of it. Romans were quite brutal as well in that regard, with decimation and killing in the circus.

Besides, what else but human sacrifices were the burnings of the Inquisition and also the burning of witches in Northern Europe? Or perhaps today's capital punishment?
jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 23:17
Originally posted by pinguin

Aztecs used human sacrifice as a policy of state. We should remember, though, that execution is not considered human sacrifice, and that was a common practise done by Romans, Chineses and others when they captured cities: they usually killed many of its inhabitants, specially enemy soldiers. Most of the victims of human sacrifices, indeed, were foreigneirs. In some sense, there is no much difference except for the religious aspect of it. Romans were quite brutal as well in that regard, with decimation and killing in the circus.
Besides, what else but human sacrifices were the burnings of the Inquisition and also the burning of witches in Northern Europe? Or perhaps today's capital punishment?

I agree. People seem obsessed with the idea of Mesoamericans and human sacrifice. Yes, Mesoamericans did kill people using religion as an excuse. But is this any different from burning witches? Going off to another country and launching a crusade? Torturing non-believers until they convert? Fighting wars over whether your people follow the Pope or the Patriarch? I don't think the average Mayan spent very much time worrying about his neighbour coming along and ritually killing him. Any more than your average English peasant worried about ending up on the wrong end of a crusade.
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 01:44
it's...an interesting question. Yes, there was ritual sacrifice. That's not really a good thing. However, it wasn't on the scale the Europeans generally reported, most of the "sacrifices" were technically enemy combatants, (although not all), and in terms of religion, it was ultimately more a way of stopping rebellion and showing power than it was a religious necessity. Yes, many victims were probably innocent, good people. But so were witches, generally, many people who were executed, and so on. Killing people because you believe it's your just and sacred duty? human sacrifice. it doesn't really matter what name you call it by. Even a justice system today qualifies-No one ever said your sacrificing them for a bad reason-maybe they're a criminal, or enemy, or so on. They are still sacrificed to SOMETHING.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 04:16
Originally posted by TheARRGH

it's...an interesting question. Yes, there was ritual sacrifice. That's not really a good thing. However, it wasn't on the scale the Europeans generally reported, most of the "sacrifices" were technically enemy combatants, (although not all), and in terms of religion, it was ultimately more a way of stopping rebellion and showing power than it was a religious necessity.

It depends on the people. Mapuches of my country, for instance, only made sacrifices when there was a major natural cathastrophe. So people killed was quite a few. To understand that attitude you have to live in a country like mine where each major eartquake seems the end of the world. The victims of sacrifices were mainly orphan children.

The Incas also practised human sacrifices very rearly, but they do. I know some similar practised happened once in a while in the Amazons as well, and there are report of some cultures in Peru, like the Moches, where ritual killings (or execution of prisioners) was quite common. As you know, the same is observed in the Anazasi culture in the U.S.

Now, the case of the Aztecs is different. They have massive and frequent, almost continuous, ritual killings. That's something reported in all the sources and confirm by archaelogy. It is undeniable that Aztecs were the most bloody people in the Americas in that practise.

Yes, many victims were probably innocent, good people. But so were witches, generally, many people who were executed, and so on. Killing people because you believe it's your just and sacred duty? human sacrifice. it doesn't really matter what name you call it by. Even a justice system today qualifies-No one ever said your sacrificing them for a bad reason-maybe they're a criminal, or enemy, or so on. They are still sacrificed to SOMETHING.

It is a different scenario. Witches burning and the victims of the Inquisition in Acts of Faith, where just the symthoms of the cruelty of an age. A dark age of Europe. Those practises weren't rooted in phylosophy or anything, but just in a time of hate. To say in other words: Jesus never say burn witches and infidels.

The human sacrifice of the amerindians, on the other hand, is a logical consecuence of the cosmology of the Mother Earth and in the magic interrelation of the cosmos. Human sacrifice it was the core of it. That's why the Spaniards changed it. Not only because they were barbaric practises, but because they sincerely though they were doing something good forbidding that religion. Just don't forget that Spaniards lost many soldiers, and also women and children, that were sacrificed by the Aztecs.

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 04:48
But unlike Christianity, Mesoamerican religion was never codified in one book set upon a moral pedestal. It was changeable with the culture. I don't think it's a fair comparison at all. I think the only fair comparison is to compare what people actually did and why. For hundreds of years Europeans killed people on religious grounds. They did so long before Christianity came along and for a long time afterwards too. Even a light reading of Greek mythology will uncover plenty of examples of human sacrifice and even cannibalism. Not on the scale of the Mesoamericans of course, but they made up for it by killing on the battlefield too.

If Europeans had never arrived and the Americas reached a technological point at which life expectancy was as high as it is today, perhaps their religion might have changed to match the times. In fact I seem to remember a story about a religious reformer calling himself Quetzalcoatl who wanted to replace human sacrifice with the sacrifice of flowers and butterflies. Though I don't think anything ever came of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:37
you are right. There were some books written (remember the Mayan books that were religious in character, or the Popol Vuh) but there wasn't a cannon.

Now, I don't believe it is unfair to say human sacrifices were inhuman and had to be stopped. No matter than the people that stopped them also have many exceses of violence and brutality, particularly in the first waves of the conquest.

For instance, the last human sacrifice in Chile by the Mapuche was done underground in 1960 to stop the effects of the major earthquake and tsunami of Valdivia (the biggest earthquake of recorded history). And the police had the right to arrest whom commited them. New rules were impossed and whether we like it or not, they are here to stay.

And I agree that the Americas would have developed either independently or by commercial contact with the outside world, if the Europeans had not decided to invade them without any permision and moral ground for doing that.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:59
truth. human sacrifice isn't really a good thing.

and if a few relatively small things had happened differently, (even WITH Smallpox), europe might have decided it'd be better to just trade with those "horrifyingly savage" continents, rather than conquering them.

Edited by TheARRGH - 03-Oct-2007 at 23:00

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 03:14

Now, I don't believe it is unfair to say human sacrifices were inhuman and had to be stopped.

Oh I agree completely. But then again I believe all war is wrong and ought to be stopped, and no one listens to me on that. I expect long-dead Mesoamericans to listen to me even less than modern politicians. Tongue
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 03:22
I agree with that. All wars are wrong, and all people that start them are immorals.

But realize this, it took tens of thousand of years to get an U.N. and a Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Perhaps it will take some hundreds more to realize wars go against humans rights.

You know what I would do in case of war? Sent those senior citizens that speaks in parlaments and control nations, with a knife in each hand, to fight by themselves, without help, those other seniors citizens from theirs enemy nation....

While old people had the power of sending teenagers to die in the battlefileds, wars will be in fashion...

People don't realize that wars are just ANOTHER FORM of human sacrifice.. Another form of pagan cult.

War is to die for the flag, for the glory of a country.... pretty close to the voluntiers in the Ancient Americas  that died to feed Mother Earth .

Edited by pinguin - 04-Oct-2007 at 03:23
ehecatzin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ehecatzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 17:02

t
and if a few relatively small things had happened differently, (even WITH Smallpox), europe might have decided it'd be better to just trade with those "horrifyingly savage" continents, rather than conquering them.

I like those "whats if" of mesoamerican culture, I think the main drive for the conquest was in the spaniards mind, any other country would have been happy to have veracruz and fill it with colons, but not these conquistadores, the key is that the reconquista was still fresh at the time, and the urge to purge world from heretics and pagans, aparently still burning, should Spain arrive to Mexico one generation later, and those spaniards wouldnt possibly be as zealous and power hungry as Cortez. not to mention maybe Moctezuma II wouldnt be around by then.

Anywya about human sacrifice, I personllay find the subject fascinating, what I dontreally understand is why does a lot of people conmems the Mesoamericans by looking at it through todays perspective..."oh no they are evil for making sacrifices"  I mean, The Spanish killed their opponents on the battlefield, the Mexicas did it on the altar...does this make the first any better?
Gabachachida View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gabachachida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 20:40

I agree with that. All wars are wrong, and all people that start them are immorals.

Alot of the times wars are started by groups of people under opression, fighting for their freedom...i wouldnt really call that immoral.

Edited by Gabachachida - 04-Nov-2007 at 20:41
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 00:24
Violence is generally only the answer when it's also the question---the problem is that there's always someone willing to ask the question.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 00:46
Agree. Sometimes violence is necesary, particularly when foreigners try to invade our lands by force.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 01:01
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Any fans of the Mayans and Incas.

Just want to know something, the mayans were they a military society yes or no? Do you think the Mayans could have rivalled the Aztecs?

The Mayans could have resisted the Aztecs on their own turf, due to their decentralization (same as they resisted the Spanish until the 1800s). Rivalled? Not a chance ... at least, not after Mayapan fell. Maybe there was some potential in Mayapan for a while but it never panned out.

The Inca would have utterly crushed the Aztec. They were far more organized, far more systematic, and had much better technology, including bronze weapons and superior engineering in terms of things like roads and fortifications. Not to mention that their armies were much larger. The Aztecs relied on the population of the Triple Alliance alone - three cities (well, two, really) to provide all their warriors. They took tribute from and disarmed those they conquered, but otherwise left them alone.

The Inca had many cities and recruited from their entire population of millions. When they conquered a territory, they resettled all the inhabitants to scattered parts of their empire and forbid their religion, culture and history on pain of death - so that within a few generations, they would lose their former identity and become Incans like all the other citizens. They consolidated power in every territory they conquered, whereas the Aztecs did not - everything the Aztecs conquered was actually a liability to them (something Cortes took full advantage of).

Edited by edgewaters - 08-Nov-2007 at 01:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>