Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Torture Effective?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Torture Effective?
    Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 15:40
Originally posted by Thegeneral

You know what? If you don't want to call it a war, fine. Does it really matter what you call it? And why should we give the terrorists the pleasure of knowing that while they are just sitting in a jail, their comrades are torturing Americans? Granted I do not want to stoop to their level we should have some kind of interogation techniques that could be considered torture. The thing is, I have no tolerance what so ever for those terrorists. I couldn't care less what happens to them!

First, Mixcoalt is right: torture is wrong under any circumstance.

Second, itt actually does matter what we call it. If we are performing a global police hunt, the terrorists should be tried in civil courts. Also, since the country is not in a state of emergency, most of the measures of the Patriot Act that curtail civil liberties should be revoked.

If we are in a "war," then all of the appropriate rules in the Geneva Convention should apply.

So once again, under what jurisdiction should people accussed of terrorism fall?
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 16:05

Under what jurisdiction should they come under?  I say a totally different one to handl these people. 

One thing I recently saw was that it was very hard to bring a terrorist to trial because to do so would mean disclosing information that may be crucial to capture others. 

And I agree that torture is not a good thing, but possibly nessecary.  If we need something out of a top terrorists that is crucial, than I say by all means, get it!

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:02

And I agree that torture is not a good thing, but possibly nessecary.  If we need something out of a top terrorists that is crucial, than I say by all means, get it!

a nice idea,the thought of a kid that doesn't think about the extreme.

Terrorists are extremely devoted,to get info from them you need a hell of equipment.But what is the guy is innocent?torture the innocent man till he dies.

torturing a man is barbaric,there are other ways to do it.

for me i go with mental torture,not physical

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:06
I never said which type of torture.  I too would prefer mental torture.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:07

yes becuase you get the answer quickly,if he is innocent you can easily tell

but should it be used?NO

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:11

Under what jurisdiction should they come under? I say a totally different one to handl these people.

One thing I recently saw was that it was very hard to bring a terrorist to trial because to do so would mean disclosing information that may be crucial to capture others.

And I agree that torture is not a good thing, but possibly nessecary. If we need something out of a top terrorists that is crucial, than I say by all means, get it!

I believe the rest of the thread addressed the issue if torture was effective or not. Most people agreed that it wasn't effective for intelligence gathering or for terrorizing the population.

If you want to claim that torture is "necessary," please address the counter-arguments.

Now, on the answer of our question. I asked if you terrorists should be tried under the jurisdiction of a country or international humanitarian law. From your answer, I understand that you say niether.

We need to try terrorist because we do not want to punish innocent people. Unless they have a conviction, we may be holding the wrong people.

And The one 911 hijacker is currently being tried in Washington, under U.S. civil law. This doesn't seem to be putting our nation in danger.

You did provide an interesting answer. You say that we need a new legal system to try people accussed of terrorism.

Could you please explain how, where, and who should create this knew legal system for trying people accussed of terrorism?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:24

Who should try them?   I would believe that an internation comitee, that is will not disclose anything to the publi, would do the job fine.  But again, with the 911 terrorist, there may not have been anything that would have endangered the country.  Other cases may put us in danger.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 06:52
Who should form the international committee? How could the public be sure that they are doing a good job if we do not know what is going on?

Also, if 911 people have no intelligence that matters now, many detainees are in the same situation: many were captured at the beginning of the Afghan war.

Unless, of course, the reason why they don't want to bring them to trial is because the U.S. government is trying to hide their methods from a legal tribunal. This is what dictatorship traditionally do. Is this the point that the U.S. has reached today?
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 07:06
yes it is,sadly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123