Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Torture Effective?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Torture Effective?
    Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 07:06
yes it is,sadly
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 06:52
Who should form the international committee? How could the public be sure that they are doing a good job if we do not know what is going on?

Also, if 911 people have no intelligence that matters now, many detainees are in the same situation: many were captured at the beginning of the Afghan war.

Unless, of course, the reason why they don't want to bring them to trial is because the U.S. government is trying to hide their methods from a legal tribunal. This is what dictatorship traditionally do. Is this the point that the U.S. has reached today?
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:24

Who should try them?   I would believe that an internation comitee, that is will not disclose anything to the publi, would do the job fine.  But again, with the 911 terrorist, there may not have been anything that would have endangered the country.  Other cases may put us in danger.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:11
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Under what jurisdiction should they come under? I say a totally different one to handl these people.

One thing I recently saw was that it was very hard to bring a terrorist to trial because to do so would mean disclosing information that may be crucial to capture others.

And I agree that torture is not a good thing, but possibly nessecary. If we need something out of a top terrorists that is crucial, than I say by all means, get it!

I believe the rest of the thread addressed the issue if torture was effective or not. Most people agreed that it wasn't effective for intelligence gathering or for terrorizing the population.

If you want to claim that torture is "necessary," please address the counter-arguments.

Now, on the answer of our question. I asked if you terrorists should be tried under the jurisdiction of a country or international humanitarian law. From your answer, I understand that you say niether.

We need to try terrorist because we do not want to punish innocent people. Unless they have a conviction, we may be holding the wrong people.

And The one 911 hijacker is currently being tried in Washington, under U.S. civil law. This doesn't seem to be putting our nation in danger.

You did provide an interesting answer. You say that we need a new legal system to try people accussed of terrorism.

Could you please explain how, where, and who should create this knew legal system for trying people accussed of terrorism?
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:07

yes becuase you get the answer quickly,if he is innocent you can easily tell

but should it be used?NO

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:06
I never said which type of torture.  I too would prefer mental torture.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 17:02

And I agree that torture is not a good thing, but possibly nessecary.  If we need something out of a top terrorists that is crucial, than I say by all means, get it!

a nice idea,the thought of a kid that doesn't think about the extreme.

Terrorists are extremely devoted,to get info from them you need a hell of equipment.But what is the guy is innocent?torture the innocent man till he dies.

torturing a man is barbaric,there are other ways to do it.

for me i go with mental torture,not physical

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 16:05

Under what jurisdiction should they come under?  I say a totally different one to handl these people. 

One thing I recently saw was that it was very hard to bring a terrorist to trial because to do so would mean disclosing information that may be crucial to capture others. 

And I agree that torture is not a good thing, but possibly nessecary.  If we need something out of a top terrorists that is crucial, than I say by all means, get it!

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 15:40

You know what? If you don't want to call it a war, fine. Does it really matter what you call it? And why should we give the terrorists the pleasure of knowing that while they are just sitting in a jail, their comrades are torturing Americans? Granted I do not want to stoop to their level we should have some kind of interogation techniques that could be considered torture. The thing is, I have no tolerance what so ever for those terrorists. I couldn't care less what happens to them!

First, Mixcoalt is right: torture is wrong under any circumstance.

Second, itt actually does matter what we call it. If we are performing a global police hunt, the terrorists should be tried in civil courts. Also, since the country is not in a state of emergency, most of the measures of the Patriot Act that curtail civil liberties should be revoked.

If we are in a "war," then all of the appropriate rules in the Geneva Convention should apply.

So once again, under what jurisdiction should people accussed of terrorism fall?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 15:07

Once again, US army studies show that the best method for extracting information is to befriend your prisoners and make them trust you.  This tactic was used in WW2 with great sucess and army studies endorse it.  Most people when put under pressure will either get more resolve or tell you anything true or not to get out.  Be a double corssing ally and not a torturer and youll go far.

Also its worth mentioning that its estimated by the US government itself that 75% of prisoners in Abu Ghirab are innocent.  You torture an innocent person and you have at least a whole new community of enemies, you find out their innocent through more subtle means and no harm is done to you.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:28

Tell that to the thousands who have given stuff up through torture.

in guatemala maybe?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:08
Does it really matter what you call it?

Indeed it doesn't. War or no war, torture is never justified.
"Act only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:02
You know what?  If you don't want to call it a war, fine.  Does it really matter what you call it?  And why should we give the terrorists the pleasure of knowing that while they are just sitting in a jail, their comrades are torturing Americans?  Granted I do not want to stoop to their level we should have some kind of interogation techniques that could be considered torture.  The thing is, I have no tolerance what so ever for those terrorists.  I couldn't care less what happens to them!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 12:14
I agree with Mixcoalt.

Thegeneral, you have to explain under what jurisdiction people accused of terrorism would fall under.

If it is not the Geneva Conventions, they should be treaty as regular criminals, with access to the rights that common criminals have.

The U.S. should also stop pretending that they are fighting a war if they are not going to follow war codes.

If this is a war, they should follow all of the Geneva Convetions parts that apply. There are a number of differences from a terrorist to a regular soldier, but they should adapt making sure that no U.S. law or International law that protects human rights are violated.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:36

I don't see why we should give these terrorists comfort while they torture and kill without mercy our fellow citizens.

Two things: Firstly why should you lower yourself to the level of terrorist by torturing other people and secondly torturing captives will only make the US less popular, causing more terrorist attacks.

This is not a war like any other we have had to fight.  These people do not have an organized central governemt.

Does that matter? Why would you make an exeption in ethical rules if your opponent has no central government. Besides, this would also justify the torturing and killing of resistance fighters by Nazi-Germany. 

If we killed their leader, they would get a new one with ease.  They can't even surrender beucase most of them are radicals or they just can't.  They don't get orders from supiriors like our troops do.  They just don't surrender.

Do you realy think torturing is going to change that? Torturing makes their surrender even less likely. No-one is willing to surrender if he knows he will be tortured. Don't forget that in WW2 many German soldiers gladly surrendered to the Americans, because they knew they would be treated better in American than in Soviet hands.

The Genevia Convention was made for conventional wars.  This is by no means a "conventional war". When is the last time, during a conventional war, that our enemies flew planes into our buildings?

Does it really matter if a plane drops bombs or if the plane itself is used as a weapon?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:30

I don't see why we should give these terrorists comfort while they torture and kill without mercy our fellow citizens. 

This is not a war like any other we have had to fight.  These people do not have an organized central governemt.  If we killed their leader, they would get a new one with ease.  They can't even surrender beucase most of them are radicals or they just can't.  They don't get orders from supiriors like our troops do.  They just don't surrender. 

The Genevia Convention was made for conventional wars.  This is by no means a "conventional war".  When is the last time, during a conventional war, that our enemies flew planes into our buildings?

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:26

Terrorist are not subject of the Geneva convention due they are not regular soldiers or combatants.

However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, were saudis the ones whom kidnaped the planes and performed the attacks. Were saudies and yemenis the one's who attacked the USS Cole, not afghans
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 10:47
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by hugoestr

I do not consider the torture of terrorists lack of morals.

Exactly, I couldn't care less what happens to them either.

Could both explain why? What if the person in custody is not a terrorist?

They are our enemies, they have murdered my fellow citizens and their relatives. They don't even have the reason of fighting for their country as in a intrastate war, their reason for fighting us is because they want to. They have beheaded my fellow countrymen on camera, and in my opinion they should be payed back in kind.

As always, the military should be sure we don't keep people on a whim, no one's arguing about that.

So would you argue that the U.S. should just give up on the Geneva Conventions all together? After all, many of the same reasons why you want to deny due process to these prisoners apply to wars in general.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 22:44
Originally posted by hugoestr

They are our enemies, they have murdered my fellow citizens and their relatives.  They don't even have the reason of fighting for their country as in a intrastate war, their reason for fighting us is because they want to.  They have beheaded my fellow countrymen on camera, and in my opinion they should be payed back in kind. 

As always, the military should be sure we don't keep people on a whim, no one's arguing about that.

Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 20:51

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>