Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napoleon’s Marshals: The Best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napoleon’s Marshals: The Best?
    Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 14:03

Of Napoleon's many talented Marshals, which would you consider to be the best?  Why?

If you need some info about the marshals to help you along in your decision, check out this site:  http://www.napoleonguide.com/marshind.htm

---

My choices:

Louis-Gabriel Suchet- IMO, the second best strategical and tactical mind of all the marshals.  Also a very talented in the adminsitrative duties in the military.  Really the only marshal to come out of the Pennisluar Campaign with any triumph to his name.

Louis Davout-  Well, if you were wondering who Suchet fell behind, wonder no more, becuase here is the man.  Like Suchet, Davout was a very good in the military adminsitartive duties, and was certainly one of the most dependable marshals(if not the most dependable marshal).

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 14:06

I pick Murat, for being a descent cavalry commander, dressing like a clown and Berthier for his valuable staff work which made the large scale operations of the Grande Armee possible...

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 14:53
I pick your namesake Mr. Lannes, though I must admit that Bessieres gets points for sexy eyebrows
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 14:54

Davout was, like you said, one of the most dependable marshals, and being dependable is IMO the most important characteristics of a strong leader.

Edited by Keltoi
Cymru am Byth
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 16:14
Originally posted by Temujin

I pick Murat, for being a descent cavalry commander, dressing like a clown and Berthier for his valuable staff work which made the large scale operations of the Grande Armee possible...

Something I find rather amusing:  The more ostentatious Murat's dress got, the worse a commander he became.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 16:49
I would also say the Davout was the best because in addition to being a good battlefield, he could also operate independently.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 16:50
1. Davout
2. Massena
3. Suchet
4. Lannes
5. Saint Cyr
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 17:07

Originally posted by TJK

1. Davout
2. Massena
3. Suchet
4. Lannes
5. Saint Cyr

Very good list.  However, I would tend to think that Soult should beat out Saint Cyr for the #5 spot.  Both Soult and Saint Cyr seem to be calm and sensible, but I think Soult showed he had a much better gift for organization and strategy in the battles for the Pyrenees.  But, I'm curious, what boosts Saint Cyr to #5 for you?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2004 at 19:15

Gouvion Saint-Cyr was probaby the best  defensive commander of this age (he would challange with Wellington)..  at  18.08.1812 he obtained a victory over the Russians at Polotsk and  in 1813 he was one of verty few marshals who confirmed their ranks on the battlefield (Dresden, Lepizig)...in comparison with Soult I would say he was better..just because lack of Soult's tactical skill... 

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 15:32
Originally posted by Lannes

Something I find rather amusing:  The more ostentatious Murat's dress got, the worse a commander he became.

LoL indeed...there must be a connection...

interesting...no one yet choose Ney, I think he wasn't the best but a lot of authors do him injustice...

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 16:01

LoL indeed...there must be a connection...

interesting...no one yet choose Ney, I think he wasn't the best but a lot of authors do him injustice...

Users that have selected Marshals seem to have slected their choices due to the Marshal's tactical or strategical ability rather than their leadership skills or by how brave the Marshal was...

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 23:56
nay it is ney.

I think he had that certain jene sais quoi that made him relate well with his troops, even though he didn't have  the smartest of tactical minds.

Was it him that became the "prince of moscow"?
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 07:51

Originally posted by fastspawn

nay it is ney.

I think he had that certain jene sais quoi that made him relate well with his troops, even though he didn't have  the smartest of tactical minds.

Was it him that became the "prince of moscow"?

Yes it was.  His titles:  Prince de la Moskowa, and the Duc d'Elchingen.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 22:14

ROFLMAO  . Well Murat is my favorite, he is extremely brave also, he even cut one of the sultan fingers at ABOUKIR and personally captured the sultan, he even received a bullet in his jaw during the battle. THe problem about him is he is too impulsive and can be very careless and launched himself in battle carelessly. This guy is movie material. I think Napoleon feared Murat and didn't trust him. Murat was very popular.

Murat and Napoleon at the Pyramid

Edited by Clovis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 16:24
The single best of course, its Louis Davout, he ranks among the few generals in the world who have successfully pulled off the double envelopment on a larger enemy (Auerstadt) and also ranks among the few who never lost a battle in his life (a shame he wasnt at waterloo to face the duke, i believe Davout was never really given any independent command either, a shame)
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 23:18
Napoleon would have been wise to make Davout commander in Spain with Suchet as his right hand man.
Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 14:34

I won't be very original: To me Davout was the best, the best in Austerlitz, the best in Jena...

and he was not in Waterloo, what was a big Nap's failure.

Although Davout was a merciless, kill-the-wounded-enemies general, Murat is associated to me with repression of Madrid's people when they quelled against Frenchs in 1808.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 05:46

TJK - and what with Jozef Poniatowski?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 15:40
Originally posted by baks

TJK - and what with Jozef Poniatowski?

I see him on the 7th position - after first a.m. 5 and Soult...

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 15:24
and where's Berthier?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>