Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the subject of Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the subject of Taiwan
    Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:08
hey Yanwang, but if the taiwanese people themselves don't want to be reunited with china and if realistically unification doesn't really help either side, (i don't know what ordinary people in rural china think about this issue), what do you think is so imperative about taiwan remaining part of china?
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:38
battleaxe,

Same reason why the hawaiian resistance in US aren't allowed to secede. Hawaii is a state which requires more funding than it provides (tourism included). Technically it would be fiscally correct to let that state go, but 1. It is a military strategic area.2. How  would it look on US resume to have a breakaway state.
YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:55

Originally posted by battleaxe

hey Yanwang, but if the taiwanese people themselves don't want to be reunited with china and if realistically unification doesn't really help either side, (i don't know what ordinary people in rural china think about this issue), what do you think is so imperative about taiwan remaining part of china?

Well. everybody doesnt want to see there are wars, poor people, famines, terrorists. Taiwan was a part of china written in both side's constitution. Its the top interest of whole chinese people. Of course chinese people dont want the island become a second chechenn of russia, thats why we promote peaceful reunification. Chinese people really respect people's lives, wills, rights, but also hope people in taiwan respects rights of mainland people on taiwan. (i never think disturbed separalist could bring a better life for people in taiwan) Why do you think a formal independence could get people in taiwan a better life?.

What is Your Question Again?
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 13:27

Originally posted by fastspawn

The official ROC territory used to include mainland china, and that is a fact. It was only amended very recently.

Hansioux, the only reason Taiwan wants to split instead of reunifying is because it realizes it cannot reunify against its own terms. If the situation was that taiwan was powerful enough to unite both sides on their own terms i.e Taipei became the capital, they would gladly do so.

But as it stands, there is no way for taiwan to declare independance, because you guys used to want to covet the whole of china as your territory. Turning back now, is akin to being a coward, and i am sure you aren't one are you?

fastspawn, the flaw in your logic is you keep talking about if Taiwan could.  If Taiwan is strong enough, could they have unified Chinese under their own terms?

Sure they could.  Under your hyperthetical assumptions, I would be an Alien if you want me to be.

But, the question here is not if Taiwan could.  It's if Taiwan would!

And the matter of fact is, besides the part of the late immigrants that came with the Nationalist party, most Taiwanese DON'T want to be united with China.

So as long as the government of Taiwan run by actual Taiwanese people like it is today, then even if the Chinese people are back to the great leap, amazing stravation times, Taiwan still would unify China.

I hope you see that.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 14:05
Originally posted by YanWang

Well. everybody doesnt want to see there are wars, poor people, famines, terrorists. Taiwan was a part of china written in both side's constitution. Its the top interest of whole chinese people. Of course chinese people dont want the island become a second chechenn of russia, thats why we promote peaceful reunification. Chinese people really respect people's lives, wills, rights, but also hope people in taiwan respects rights of mainland people on taiwan. (i never think disturbed separalist could bring a better life for people in taiwan) Why do you think a formal independence could get people in taiwan a better life?.

So what you are saying is, it is the China's hope and dreams to unify Taiwan.  And if Taiwanese refuses, even though China invades Taiwan, it would be the Taiwanese who started the war, and if Taiwan don't want a war, then Taiwan have to surrender.  Just like all the officials in China.  You know what this is, this is called a threat and a bully.

You don't give a crap about peace.  You don't give a crap about what Taiwanese people really want.  You just want what you need.  That is a strategically naval base that lets the Chinese navy have a presence in the pacific.

Why would Taiwanese have a better life if it is unified with China?  Besides the military base, you think China would put resources to Taiwan's economy and school systems or Taiwan's infrastructure?

Of course not, the Chinese have enough to worry about within their country.  Why would they move those resources away from Shanghai, TianJing, DaLian, BeiJing and their horrible rural infrastructure to invest in a place that will have retaliatory resistance everyday?

The fact is the real Taiwanese people who love my island will have far worse life than they will have now. 

I do envision Taiwan and China work together towards a great future.  Not as one huge inflexible, oppressive and corrupted state, but more like that of the European Union.  Each one a independent sovereignty that respects the other's right.  Each one can participate in the international community as their own.  And because of this, what our Union has to say will be two times louder in the international community.  That's the future Taiwanese people want, not some Chinese nationalism wishes of unifying with a bunch of people that cares less about our will than their ass wipe.

If Taiwan isn't an independent state right now, there will be no need to talk about unification.  Since it is already an independent state, and your wish is for unification, then China should treat Taiwan like a independent state with independent sovereignty. 

Belittling the Taiwanese government, belittling the Taiwanese people, twisting our will and wishes in the international communities just makes it that much harder for the Taiwanese to respect the Chinese, people or government alike.  It is in fact China's attitude making unification more and more impossible, not the other way around. 

How can you negotiate any kind of unification, when the other doesn't respect your sovereignty in the first place?  When someone tells you "let's negotiate, but if you don't do it my way, I'll strike you with military action!" 

Yeah, yeah, hear all you Chinese hypocrites criticizing American imperialism, when in fact China is the biggest freaking imperialist through out its history.

I am glad I don't have to call myself Chinese.  I am proud of being Taiwanese.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 15:16

Hey Hansioux,

China has made a bubble that has gone too huge and all things will go awry if it bursts.  If China recognizes Taiwan's independence, Tibet, Xin Jiang, Inner Mongolia would all justify their independence.  And then there's no way to tell what other provinces will also try to gain independence.  Moral issues aside, the PRC really doesn't have a choice but to prevent that -- kinda like the Union couldn't let the Confederates secede.  There's no use trying to convince people like Yan Wang cuz they have even less of a choice here.  It's a no win situation for everyone.  Call my an idealist, but if the academia can drastically correct our notion of nationhood, we might have a shot at fixing this dilemma.  The problem I'm talking about is the ridiculous premise of reunification for the sake of unity, which in turn relies on the premise that there was some sort of abstract reality of a nation that subsumes within it all the people ambiguously defined as Chinese.  This is not just a symptom of Chinese, but of most nations in the world.  Nationality is a greater excuse for conflict than religion, and when the two are combined to form an excuse for conflict, the result is dire; just look at the Middle East.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 15:26
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey Hansioux,

China has made a bubble that has gone too huge and all things will go awry if it bursts.  If China recognizes Taiwan's independence, Tibet, Xin Jiang, Inner Mongolia would all justify their independence.  And then there's no way to tell what other provinces will also try to gain independence.  Moral issues aside, the PRC really doesn't have a choice but to prevent that -- kinda like the Union couldn't let the Confederates secede.  There's no use trying to convince people like Yan Wang cuz they have even less of a choice here.  It's a no win situation for everyone.  Call my an idealist, but if the academia can drastically correct our notion of nationhood, we might have a shot at fixing this dilemma.  The problem I'm talking about is the ridiculous premise of reunification for the sake of unity, which in turn relies on the premise that there was some sort of abstract reality of a nation that subsumes within it all the people ambiguously defined as Chinese.  This is not just a symptom of Chinese, but of most nations in the world.  Nationality is a greater excuse for conflict than religion, and when the two are combined to form an excuse for conflict, the result is dire; just look at the Middle East.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

I guess that's why I full support the independence of Tibet, East TUrkistan and the unification of Mongolia.  Those poor Tibetans, they were never part of China and were only taken for Uranium deposites. 

If PRC's reason for take Tibet is valid, then Vietnam, Corean are all part of China then.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 16:11
Originally posted by hansioux

So what you are saying is, it is the China's hope and dreams to unify Taiwan.  And if Taiwanese refuses, even though China invades Taiwan, it would be the Taiwanese who started the war, and if Taiwan don't want a war, then Taiwan have to surrender.  Just like all the officials in China.  You know what this is, this is called a threat and a bully.

You don't give a crap about peace.  You don't give a crap about what Taiwanese people really want.  You just want what you need.  That is a strategically naval base that lets the Chinese navy have a presence in the pacific.

Why would Taiwanese have a better life if it is unified with China?  Besides the military base, you think China would put resources to Taiwan's economy and school systems or Taiwan's infrastructure?

Of course not, the Chinese have enough to worry about within their country.  Why would they move those resources away from Shanghai, TianJing, DaLian, BeiJing and their horrible rural infrastructure to invest in a place that will have retaliatory resistance everyday?

The fact is the real Taiwanese people who love my island will have far worse life than they will have now. 

I do envision Taiwan and China work together towards a great future.  Not as one huge inflexible, oppressive and corrupted state, but more like that of the European Union.  Each one a independent sovereignty that respects the other's right.  Each one can participate in the international community as their own.  And because of this, what our Union has to say will be two times louder in the international community.  That's the future Taiwanese people want, not some Chinese nationalism wishes of unifying with a bunch of people that cares less about our will than their ass wipe.

If Taiwan isn't an independent state right now, there will be no need to talk about unification.  Since it is already an independent state, and your wish is for unification, then China should treat Taiwan like a independent state with independent sovereignty. 

Belittling the Taiwanese government, belittling the Taiwanese people, twisting our will and wishes in the international communities just makes it that much harder for the Taiwanese to respect the Chinese, people or government alike.  It is in fact China's attitude making unification more and more impossible, not the other way around. 

How can you negotiate any kind of unification, when the other doesn't respect your sovereignty in the first place?  When someone tells you "let's negotiate, but if you don't do it my way, I'll strike you with military action!" 

Yeah, yeah, hear all you Chinese hypocrites criticizing American imperialism, when in fact China is the biggest freaking imperialist through out its history.

I am glad I don't have to call myself Chinese.  I am proud of being Taiwanese.

Taiwan is a separated province of China, no matter its ROC or PRC. Chinese people do want peaceful reunite it and offered so many good terms to taiwan, like taiwan could keep its army, social structure. and self-rule in order to ensure taiwan people.  You should remember that, technically chinese civil war of 1949 never ended, there was no truce agreement, which means we are still in war.  So both sides must restrict themself that not to provoke the other. Its china national interest and people's will which was based on deeply blood connections of btween mainland and taiwan makes every chinese want defend a island of their own. 

Anyway, if Taiwan, a chinese province harmed chinese people's interest under the name of independence. the end will be disastrous to both side.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 16:31

Taiwan is a separated province of China, no matter its ROC or PRC.

You, and most Chinese have this preconceived notion of this imaginary China.  And it is actually based on territory.  As if doesn't matter what happens to this place, it will always be China.  You can include as many places in to this imaginary China as you want when it is convenient for you.

It is none of the Taiwanese's wish to be unified with China as long as the leadership of China wants its people to believe in things like that. 

Chinese people do want peaceful reunite it and offered so many good terms to taiwan, like taiwan could keep its army, social structure. and self-rule in order to ensure taiwan people. 

Taiwanese people are not pets.  We don't need treats.  We just want our freedom and self-determination.

Besides, looking at Hong-Kong, I don't buy any of the crap.

Its china national interest and people's will which was based on deeply blood connections of btween mainland and taiwan makes every chinese want defend a island of their own. 

WARHEAD~~ look at this!! Wasn't it you that said China doesn't teach their children that Taiwan is related to China by blood?  Oh, wait, is it still me that's the one dellusional, or is it you?

Anyway, if Taiwan, a chinese province harmed chinese people's interest under the name of independence. the end will be disastrous to both side.

By both sides, you mean Taiwan, and Taiwan right?

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 16:47

You, and most Chinese have this preconceived notion of this imaginary China.  And it is actually based on territory.  As if doesn't matter what happens to this place, it will always be China.  You can include as many places in to this imaginary China as you want when it is convenient for you.

It is none of the Taiwanese's wish to be unified with China as long as the leadership of China wants its people to believe in things like that. 

no, i dont believe what leadship of chines told, i dont even believe it at all. but any chinese will learn taiwan is china's land from history, from your language, from your official title.

Taiwanese people are not pets.  We don't need treats.  We just want our freedom and self-determination.

Besides, looking at Hong-Kong, I don't buy any of the crap.

Forgive those slogans which US used to freed irqis.

Hong Kong is a good example. you tell me what hongkong defer or suffer from becoming a china's territory

WARHEAD~~ look at this!! Wasn't it you that said China doesn't teach their children that Taiwan is related to China by blood?  Oh, wait, is it still me that's the one dellusional, or is it you?

we will went to mad, if a people of non-chinese seized our taiwan :>

By both sides, you mean Taiwan, and Taiwan right?

two sides of taiwan straits...

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 16:55

Funny how you mentioned "chinese people's interest".  Taiwanese people are chiense also.  Xiang Kei Shek left China and settled to Taiwan along many refugees, and therefore some Taiwanese are Chinese. 

You can't call this issue for chinese people's interest.  Taiwanese people want independence and thus it is not their interest to be united.   Though it might be the "Elitist Chinese government\s interest".

Why do you think a formal independence could get people in taiwan a better life?.

Taiwan is not 100% Chinese.  There are some natives involved.  Many people considers themselves taiwanese there.  And their economy is one of the mightiest in Asia.  They do not need Chinese help to become happy.

One instance is when my Friend, whos taiwanese, got so happy when taiwan won the taekwondo series.  I asked him: another medal for china I suppose.  And then he replied" no, what the heck, it was taiwanese medal!  We are not Chinese!"

Forcing them to become Chinese conjures repression the way Japanese forced asians to serve under the "great east asian empire".

Of course I would not blame you if Taiwanese did not like the government and wanted to become Chinese.  But it is not the case

If China recognizes Taiwan's independence, Tibet, Xin Jiang, Inner Mongolia would all justify their independence.  And then there's no way to tell what other provinces will also try to gain independence.  Moral issues aside, the PRC really doesn't have a choice but to prevent that -- kinda like the Union couldn't let the Confederates secede.  There's no use trying to convince people like Yan Wang cuz they have even less of a choice here.  It's a no win situation for everyone.  Call my an idealist, but if the academia can drastically correct our notion of nationhood, we might have a shot at fixing this dilemma.  The problem I'm talking about is the ridiculous premise of reunification for the sake of unity, which in turn relies on the premise that there was some sort of abstract reality of a nation that subsumes within it all the people ambiguously defined as Chinese.  This is not just a symptom of Chinese, but of most nations in the world.  Nationality is a greater excuse for conflict than religion, and when the two are combined to form an excuse for conflict, the result is dire; just look at the Middle East

Justifying Taiwan to be Chinese is mere justification to take over other asian countries like Korea.  It would result in more bloodshed, becasue China would only boil water even further.  It must explode at some point.  The question is where and when and how.

Grrr..
YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:18

Funny how you mentioned "chinese people's interest".  Taiwanese people are chiense also.  Xiang Kei Shek left China and settled to Taiwan along many refugees, and therefore some Taiwanese are Chinese. 

You can't call this issue for chinese people's interest.  Taiwanese people want independence and thus it is not their interest to be united.   Though it might be the "Elitist Chinese government\s interest".

Taiwan is not 100% Chinese.  There are some natives involved.  Many people considers themselves taiwanese there.  And their economy is one of the mightiest in Asia.  They do not need Chinese help to become happy.

One instance is when my Friend, whos taiwanese, got so happy when taiwan won the taekwondo series.  I asked him: another medal for china I suppose.  And then he replied" no, what the heck, it was taiwanese medal!  We are not Chinese!"

Forcing them to become Chinese conjures repression the way Japanese forced asians to serve under the "great east asian empire".

[/quote]

Also, its not 100% of people in taiwan want indepentence,  taiwan is legal china's territory in history, to unify taiwan is different the way of japanese. thats why both south korea and Brazil admit that.

You know, the olympic committee in taiwan is called China's Olympic committee. together with another one in beijing, they exchange congratulations when each side got gold.

Of course I would not blame you if Taiwanese did not like the government and wanted to become Chinese.  But it is not the case

Justifying Taiwan to be Chinese is mere justification to take over other asian countries like Korea.  It would result in more bloodshed, becasue China would only boil water even further.  It must explode at some point.  The question is where and when and how.

Korea is not taiwan,to faraway from the issue. now all people around china do bussiness with china in hand, blame it in other hand. no need to be like that...

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:25

taiwan is legal china's territory in history, to unify taiwan is different the way of japanese

So, that's the mastermind behind claiming Koguri as Chinese, right?  To jsutify the conquer of North Korea once Kim Jong ill dies,,,,,,,,,.............

Grrr..
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:28
If TaiWan is big ship~  China should let them go. But it is not, what should we do?   Keep the present status? wait till the two sides are equal in wealth? I hope TaiWan won't be the leading actor of a tragedy. for China will be the other.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:31

Also, its not 100% of people in taiwan want indepentence,  taiwan is legal china's territory in history, to unify taiwan is different the way of japanese. thats why both south korea and Brazil admit that.

You know why your government wouldn't give up using force on Taiwan?  Because they know once there is no threat of force, everyone in Taiwan will want Independence.

The biggest arguement of independence (such as wrong word to use, more like deneying China's claim) is that a lot of people want to avoid war as long as possible.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:31
Originally posted by demon

So, that's the mastermind behind claiming Koguri as Chinese, right?  To jsutify the conquer of North Korea once Kim Jong ill dies,,,,,,,,,.............

You sound like thinking in the same way of your former premier... heheh

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 02:08

Hey Hannibal,

I have no idea what you're smoking.  What tragedy if Taiwan stays independent and equal?  And premier of demon?  That's what happens when you try to turn the table while making faulty assumptions of people.  And if you make assumptions, at least do some hw: there is 99% chance that demon is from South Korea.  What premier?  Man, you suck at using other people's words against themselves.

Peace,

Michael

9-3-2004

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 02:42
        Mr hansioux i sincerely hope that u take the glorious flag of the Chinese Republic off your avatar...because to me, the only reason why you have it up there is because you want to give the Republic of China one last insult before it dies and disappear into history.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 04:42

there is 99% chance that demon is from South Korea

Add 1% to that  And by my posts, you should have known that

Hong Kong is a good example. you tell me what hongkong defer or suffer from becoming a china's territory

North Korea is a good example of a Utopia.  "No one" goes against the government.  You tell me what the people of NK suffer

Grrr..
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 12:22
Originally posted by hansioux

Originally posted by fastspawn

The official ROC territory used to include mainland china, and that is a fact. It was only amended very recently.

Hansioux, the only reason Taiwan wants to split instead of reunifying is because it realizes it cannot reunify against its own terms. If the situation was that taiwan was powerful enough to unite both sides on their own terms i.e Taipei became the capital, they would gladly do so.

But as it stands, there is no way for taiwan to declare independance, because you guys used to want to covet the whole of china as your territory. Turning back now, is akin to being a coward, and i am sure you aren't one are you?

fastspawn, the flaw in your logic is you keep talking about if Taiwan could.  If Taiwan is strong enough, could they have unified Chinese under their own terms?

Sure they could.  Under your hyperthetical assumptions, I would be an Alien if you want me to be.

But, the question here is not if Taiwan could.  It's if Taiwan would!

And the matter of fact is, besides the part of the late immigrants that came with the Nationalist party, most Taiwanese DON'T want to be united with China.

So as long as the government of Taiwan run by actual Taiwanese people like it is today, then even if the Chinese people are back to the great leap, amazing stravation times, Taiwan still would unify China.

I hope you see that.

No it is not that Taiwan Could, it is that Taiwan would. They have proved that in the last decade, claiming that mainland china was part of the Republic of China. One is ignoring historical fact when one says that taiwan if it had the capability would have united china under their own terms. The current government (not the DPP but the government and constitution) of Taiwan was formed by the party that lost the civil war in mainland china, but they retreated to reinforce and recuperate, and for a while looked like they could successfully mount an invasion to reclaim china, with the aid of USA. But now that probability is nil, they want to split and not recognize the fact they once coveted the entire mainland.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>