Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the subject of Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the subject of Taiwan
    Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:37
well, unless the aborigines overthrow this current constitution, this current government, China and Taiwan are inexorably linked. (it is not enough to vote for an aborigine, because he will be working in a government that wishes for reunification and acknowledges that taiwan is a part of China, (or rather China is a part of Taiwan)).

As you said, Taiwan is a democracy, and the current shares some traits because it was helmed by the KMT, not very long ago. I don't see how a democracy excludes the point that China could very well have a claim, which most of the world acknowledges. But if really Taiwan wants to be independent, it will have to fight a war. It is not a real surprise, because a lot of countries that weren't independent had to fight wars to become independent. Some fail and some succeed.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:47

[QUOTE]Giving up their territory indicate that the treaty of Shimnoseki is nullified since Japan no longer has a claim over it, Soverignty of Taiwan is already transfered from Japan under instrument of surrender of Japan, its irrelevant that Taiwan's sovereign is not explicitly stated in the treaty since the ROC occupied it as De facto and no other nations objected to it.[/QOUTE]

I don't agree.  I can buy a car.  And then I go bankcrupt and I am force to sell the car.  Just because I don't own that car anymore, DOES NOT mean that I never bought the car and it DOES NOT mean it goes back to whom I bought the car from.  It just means I don't own the car.

By the way, the regeim wasn't called Yongqing.  The name of the year count is.  It is set up by the Qing officials who adbandonded Taiwan no more than a week later.  These Chinese bastards who swore that they will stay with the people of Taiwan but they escaped before the Japanese even reached Taipei.  They were the Qing appointed officials.  I am not at all amazed that these people were doing it so Taiwan can go back to the Qing dynasty.  But why don't you talk about the people who REALLY led the war?

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:53

Originally posted by fastspawn

well, unless the aborigines overthrow this current constitution, this current government, China and Taiwan are inexorably linked. (it is not enough to vote for an aborigine, because he will be working in a government that wishes for reunification and acknowledges that taiwan is a part of China, (or rather China is a part of Taiwan)).

As you said, Taiwan is a democracy, and the current shares some traits because it was helmed by the KMT, not very long ago. I don't see how a democracy excludes the point that China could very well have a claim, which most of the world acknowledges. But if really Taiwan wants to be independent, it will have to fight a war. It is not a real surprise, because a lot of countries that weren't independent had to fight wars to become independent. Some fail and some succeed.

The current government of Taiwan does not want re-unification.  I can say with great confidence that less than 2% of people wants re-unification with China.  Most of those oppsed to DDP or the green parties simply don't want a change in flag, national name because they are so deeply connected with the KMT past.

The only reason the Taiwanese government can not just declare independence as you said fastspawn, would be the threat of the war.  However, the more threat China gives Taiwan, there's also less chance of unification. 

In fact Taiwan doesn't need to declare its independence.  It is already independent and always have been for the past 50 years.  We just can't gain international recon. because China's oppressing Taiwan's foreign relations anyway they can.

Just look at the Olympics for example.

Edited by hansioux
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 20:27

"I don't agree.  I can buy a car.  And then I go bankcrupt and I am force to sell the car.  Just because I don't own that car anymore, DOES NOT mean that I never bought the car and it DOES NOT mean it goes back to whom I bought the car from.  It just means I don't own the car."

When you lose tha tcar and that car is picked up by someone else and no one refute their claim, it now belongs to them as is the case with ROC's "picking up" of taiwan.

"By the way, the regeim wasn't called Yongqing.  The name of the year count is.  It is set up by the Qing officials who adbandonded Taiwan no more than a week later.  These Chinese bastards who swore that they will stay with the people of Taiwan but they escaped before the Japanese even reached Taipei.  They were the Qing appointed officials.  I am not at all amazed that these people were doing it so Taiwan can go back to the Qing dynasty.  But why don't you talk about the people who REALLY led the war?"

No, Liu Yong Fu fought for the Taiwanese to the end, and he is not a Qing appointed official, he has his own standard called the black banner regiment.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 20:34
Originally posted by warhead

When you lose tha tcar and that car is picked up by someone else and no one refute their claim, it now belongs to them as is the case with ROC's "picking up" of taiwan.

I am sorry warhead.  please think about what you are writing here.  That might be how it works in 1600s.  But that's not how it worked in 1945.  By the way, I hope you don't just go picking up cars before the owner officially given up the car, or cars that you think no one is claiming for that matter.  That is actually considered stealing. 

It would be like for an police officer is supposed to keep watch of a stolen car, but instead he took it as his own.  Much like Jiang moving his base to Taiwan and declaring it part of China  before the San Francisco treaty is actually an invasion.

No, Liu Yong Fu fought for the Taiwanese to the end, and he is not a Qing appointed official, he has his own standard called the black banner regiment.

You are talking about 劉永福 here.  He also went to Vietnam to fight the French with his black tiger banner.  Does that make the Vietnam resistance against the french all a Chinese effort and their attempt to unify with China?

Edited by hansioux
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 21:11

The 5,000 year-old Chinese culture, a spiritual link holding together Chinas sons and daughters, was then hailed as an important basis for reunification (Point 6)."

All I see is the speak of cultural link(not blood) thats an "important basis" for a reunification, there is nothing said about Taiwan is definitely China because they share the same ancestor or the like. China's claim over Taiwan is clearly based on international agreements and nothing more.

I am sorry, I don't know how the phrase holding together Chinas sons and daughters doesn't imply a blood relationship to you.  I guess it's just lost in the translation.  Because in the chinese version it is quite obvious. 

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:20
Originally posted by hansioux

[QUOTE=fastspawn]well, unless the aborigines overthrow The current government of Taiwan does not want re-unification.  I can say with great confidence that less than 2% of people wants re-unification with China.  Most of those oppsed to DDP or the green parties simply don't want a change in flag, national name because they are so deeply connected with the KMT past.

The only reason the Taiwanese government can not just declare independence as you said fastspawn, would be the threat of the war.  However, the more threat China gives Taiwan, there's also less chance of unification. 

In fact Taiwan doesn't need to declare its independence.  It is already independent and always have been for the past 50 years.  We just can't gain international recon. because China's oppressing Taiwan's foreign relations anyway they can.

Just look at the Olympics for example.

The current government doesn't want reunification, because they realize that they can never reunify according to their terms, with them at the head. If for some reason, Taiwan could reunify with CHina with Taipei government as its head, it will gladly jump to the offer wouldn't it. THat was their stance for the last 50 years, until the Chinese Government became so strong that their chances of restoring KMT's rule over mainland was zero.

The people of Taiwan are connected to KMT, and connected to the history of Chinese Modern History.

And again i state that, the constitution of Taiwan, begins with this 4 words. THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA.

http://www.taiwan.com.au/Polieco/Government/Constitution/rep ort02a.html#Chap01

THe DPP is trying to whitewash the history of Taiwan. The world can see that, that is why they refuse to acknowledge that Taiwan and China are separate.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:25

"I am sorry warhead.  please think about what you are writing here.  That might be how it works in 1600s.  But that's not how it worked in 1945. "

I'm afraid this is how it always and will always work in world politics.

" By the way, I hope you don't just go picking up cars before the owner officially given up the car, or cars that you think no one is claiming for that matter.  That is actually considered stealing.  "

Its only stealing when the owner still has a possession of it, Japan didn't, Taiwan like the car is up for grabs and ROC grabbed it. with U.S. support as well. Thus the definition of stealing does not apply here.

"It would be like for an police officer is supposed to keep watch of a stolen car, but instead he took it as his own.  Much like Jiang moving his base to Taiwan and declaring it part of China  before the San Francisco treaty is actually an invasion."

no one opposed it, in fact supported it, so whats the point?

"I am sorry, I don't know how the phrase holding together Chinas sons and daughters doesn't imply a blood relationship to you.  I guess it's just lost in the translation.  Because in the chinese version it is quite obvious. "

There is no reason to be sorry at all, there is nothing in that sentence that clearly mention blood, I can apply the same with the Americans and say America's son's and daughters, does that mean everyone in the U.S. has the same blood?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:26

"You are talking about 劉永福 here.  He also went to Vietnam to fight the French with his black tiger banner.  Does that make the Vietnam resistance against the french all a Chinese effort and their attempt to unify with China?"

No because Liu Yong fu wasn't the dominate power there. Vietnam was already independent, TAiwan wasn't.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:47

Hey warhead,

I'm not going to write your logic off hand.  Instead, I'd ask this, since your logic really begs many questions: what legal criteria do you base the above definitions on, that is, what legal criteria insists that the moment of independence allows or restricts the "claiming back" of it?  I need you to show me logic and reasons on the grounds of ethics, customs, laws, precendents.  I'm trying to get into law school, and this is my cup of tea, so bring it on.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Edited by MengTzu
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 00:20

The current government doesn't want reunification, because they realize that they can never reunify according to their terms, with them at the head. If for some reason, Taiwan could reunify with CHina with Taipei government as its head, it will gladly jump to the offer wouldn't it. THat was their stance for the last 50 years, until the Chinese Government became so strong that their chances of restoring KMT's rule over mainland was zero.

The people of Taiwan are connected to KMT, and connected to the history of Chinese Modern History.

And again i state that, the constitution of Taiwan, begins with this 4 words. THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA.

http://www.taiwan.com.au/Polieco/Government/Constitution/rep ort02a.html#Chap01

THe DPP is trying to whitewash the history of Taiwan. The world can see that, that is why they refuse to acknowledge that Taiwan and China are separate.

Sorry, fastspawn.  I don't know.  Maybe you've never experienced dictatorship (if you are actually from Singapore, I am sure you have) but maybe that is why you can't see beyond the surface.

First of all, the only people connected to the KMT are the new immigrants of Taiwan in 1949.  They have came to Taiwan to avoid communist rule.  These people are only 15% of the population.  When they first arrived, they were less than 10% of the population.  And this 10% ruled the rest of the people.  They forced their language onto the others and forbid the use of other dialects in public places.  They forced their government system, judicial system on the other 90% of the people.  They killed every educated Taiwanese and massacred them in the massacare of 228. 

Then for the next 30 years, only these 10% of the people can be in government positions, including the congressman.  For more than 40 years, the formation of an opposition party is forbiden.  People who voiced against the dictatorship were tortured, imprisoned, and disappeared without a proper trial.

My point is, it is NOT the Taiwanese people's will to have our island called "The Republic of China".  It is not the Taiwanese people's will to still use the Constitution that is actually written for a nation few hundred times its size.  The majority of Taiwanese has nothing to do with the KMT.

You think that if Taiwan actually can get its ways it will unify with China.  Let me tell you, from the last 3 presidencial election that were made under the threat of war, more than 50% of Taiwanese wouldn't unfy with China even if Taiwan can name the terms.  Most Taiwanese are just that, Taiwanese.  We just want to be Taiwanese.

If you want to say Taiwan is part of Chinese history.  Yes, you are correct.  China invaded Taiwan 3 times in the last 200 years.  Taiwan is also part of Japanese and Dutch history. 

It seems like what you are trying to say is if it had been part of Chinese history then it belongs to China.  I think what your logic is what makes Coreans so edgy on the Koguryo issue.

Edited by hansioux
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 00:26

"You are talking about 劉永福 here.  He also went to Vietnam to fight the French with his black tiger banner.  Does that make the Vietnam resistance against the french all a Chinese effort and their attempt to unify with China?"

No because Liu Yong fu wasn't the dominate power there. Vietnam was already independent, TAiwan wasn't.

Sorry, but you just had temporary amnesia.  You just said Liu wasn't part of Qing dynasty because if he was, he couldn't represent the independent nation of Republic of Taiwan which declared its independence.  Whether you admit it was a real nation or not, it made its declaration of independence.

Taiwan was an independent nation just like Vietnam.

Edited by hansioux
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 00:50

Warhead, if that's your view on the world.  Then there's no need for you to mention the San Francisco treaty at all.  Because the first who gets there owns it.  And in this case, ROC owns it.  And ROC's territory has been redifined to Taiwan, Penghu and Jingmeng, Mazhu islands in 1992.  So it does not belong to the PRC.  It is already an independent nation.  By the ROC constitution and current laws, people of ROC, ie people of Taiwan can vote to decide their own future.  So if we do decide to change the name of ROC, that has nothing to do with PRC.

Too bad you refuse to go out and find the chairman Jiang's 8 point and read the Chinese version on your own.

So this is something from the PRC's news paper:

特寫:“海峽隔斷骨肉”--溫家寶兩答台灣問題

中國總理溫家寶 今天在人民大會堂金色大廳回答記者提問時,兩度談及台灣問題。他 重申,世界上只有一個中國,“無論是祖國大陸還是台灣,同胞的血 脈是相連的,這條海峽能夠把我們的骨肉隔斷。”

台灣問題要靠中國人自己解決

溫家寶 在回答美國記者提問時強調,台灣問題是中國內戰遺留的問題,是中 國的內政,最終要靠中國人自己來解決。

溫家寶 指出,世界上只有一個中國,大陸和台灣P屬於一個中國,一個中國 的主權和領土完整不容分割。中國對台灣擁有的主權,在《開羅宣言 》和《波茨坦公告》已經有明確的規定,也為國際社會所公認。

在回答台灣記者提問時,溫家寶 說,明年是《馬關條約》簽署一百一十週年,自己憶起台灣詩人丘逢 甲在一八九六年四月十七日“幾乎是用血和淚”寫的二十八個字的詩 :“春愁難遣強看山,往事驚心淚欲潸。四百萬人同一哭,去年今日 割台灣。”

接著,溫總理又引述台灣著名鄉土文學家鐘理和的詩句:“原鄉人的 血,必須流返原鄉,才會停止沸騰!”

我沒有嚇唬布希先生

對於美國總統布什明確表示反對台灣當局搞所謂“公投”,有美國記 者問溫家寶:“您是拿什麼嚇唬了美國呢?”

“台灣當局的某些人假借民主,搞旨在‘台獨’的‘公投’,實際上 是破壞世界公認的一個中國的原則,也威脅臺海地區的穩定。在這種 情況下,世界上一切負責任的國家,會理所當然地表明他們自己的態 度,”溫家寶回答。

溫家寶 說,自己非常讚賞布希先生在去年十二月九日公開表明的立場,也讚 賞世界各國公開表明的嚴正A度。“我沒有用什麼力量嚇唬布希先生 ,”溫家寶 說,“但是我覺得美國和世界各國公開表明一個中國的立場,有利於 臺海地區的和平與穩定。”

溫家寶 希望,美國和其他國家都能夠恪守他們對一個中國的諾言,為保持臺 海地區的穩定,促進中國的和平統一作出應有的貢獻。

和平統一過程就是兩岸發展繁榮過程

溫家寶 說,我們之所以提出和平統一、“一國兩制”的方針,就是認為這樣 的方針符合祖國大陸和台灣人民的現實利益與長遠利益。

“和平統一的過程就是兩岸發展和繁榮的過程,”他說,因此,我們 將以最大的努力來維護臺海的穩定,以最大的努力來促進“三通”, 推動兩岸經濟、文化的交流和人員的往來,以最大的努力推進在一個 中國的原則下,早日恢復兩岸的對話和談判,以最大的努力來推進祖 國的和平統一。

“但是,我們堅決反對“台獨”,反對任何人以任何方式把台灣從中 國分割出去,”溫家寶朗聲說道,“這是包括台灣人民在內的整個中華兒女的共同願望。” (記者餘瑞冬)

中新社2004年03月14日

I sure hope you can read it.  But if you can't, it says Wen Jia-Bao said on the CCP meeting and to the American reporter that the blood relations between Taiwan and China shouldn't be broken.  And it says Taiwanese came from China, China's is Taiwanese's fatherland.  There is no strait that can stop the homecoming to the fatherland.  The speach was make March 14th of 2004.

Ok, I know this might sound mean, but THERE ARE TONS of such speeches made by the PRC's leaders all over google.  I am sure if you actually do want to talk about this intellegently, you can at least google a little bit on your own.

How's this, to not be mean, if you want more, I'll post more.

Edited by hansioux
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 06:31
See Hansioux that is exactly my point. If the taiwanese really want to gain indepence, they have to rewrite their constitution and overthrow the present government.

But of course that will lead to war, and a rewriting of that document will be akin to declaring indepence, and US won't help you.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 09:54

"Sorry, but you just had temporary amnesia.  You just said Liu wasn't part of Qing dynasty because if he was, he couldn't represent the independent nation of Republic of Taiwan which declared its independence.  Whether you admit it was a real nation or not, it made its declaration of independence.

Taiwan was an independent nation just like Vietnam."

No, its just you that misinterpreted my point, Taiwan is not independent before this, and Liu Yong fu fought Taiwan under the name of Qing despite the fact that he does not represent Qing. This is not the case in Vietnam, in Vietnam he fought for the Vietnamese government and was a official of the government, he was a bandit that the Qing wants to capture at the time so there is no relation here whatsoever.

"Warhead, if that's your view on the world.  Then there's no need for you to mention the San Francisco treaty at all.  Because the first who gets there owns it.  And in this case, ROC owns it.  And ROC's territory has been redifined to Taiwan, Penghu and Jingmeng, Mazhu islands in 1992.  So it does not belong to the PRC.  It is already an independent nation.  By the ROC constitution and current laws, people of ROC, ie people of Taiwan can vote to decide their own future.  So if we do decide to change the name of ROC, that has nothing to do with PRC."

No, its not de jure independent, since both ROC and PRC consider there is only one china, and Taiwan belongs to the legitimate government, this already belonged to the PRC after it entered the U.N., there is really no need for me to mention the sanfrancisco treaty since the treaty of Ma Guan itself is forced by the Japanese and the Qing was desperate to hold the island.

"I sure hope you can read it.  But if you can't, it says Wen Jia-Bao said on the CCP meeting and to the American reporter that the blood relations between Taiwan and China shouldn't be broken.  And it says Taiwanese came from China, China's is Taiwanese's fatherland.  There is no strait that can stop the homecoming to the fatherland.  The speach was make March 14th of 2004.

Ok, I know this might sound mean, but THERE ARE TONS of such speeches made by the PRC's leaders all over google.  I am sure if you actually do want to talk about this intellegently, you can at least google a little bit on your own.

How's this, to not be mean, if you want more, I'll post more."

the words doesn't show on my screen, but again there is nothing clear about this statement, China is in fact the motherland and that many Taiwanese did come from China and there is a relation. But never had he said that Taiwan is china because both were Han. Ther eis a reason that the PRC didn't claim Singapore or according to your logic, Singapore would be claimed by PRC too wouldn't it?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 10:00
Despite all these quote, NONE of them was used as on the international law to claim Taiwan, all of which used to justify the control ovver taiwan is political. The fact doesnt' change that the Taipei treaty signed after WW2 gave the Island from the Japanese to the REPUBLIC OF CHINA. And the international court in Den Haag Holland that settle boundaries dispute between countries the one principile that they check is the "duration of permanent sovereignty over the teritories" Qing china has held sovereignity over Taiwan for hundred of years, thus giving up taiwan would mean returning the island to China.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:42

Despite all these quote, NONE of them was used as on the international law to claim Taiwan, all of which used to justify the control ovver taiwan is political. The fact doesnt' change that the Taipei treaty signed after WW2 gave the Island from the Japanese to the REPUBLIC OF CHINA. And the international court in Den Haag Holland that settle boundaries dispute between countries the one principile that they check is the "duration of permanent sovereignty over the teritories" Qing china has held sovereignity over Taiwan for hundred of years, thus giving up taiwan would mean returning the island to China.

I am sorry, in the Taipei treaty, NOTHING was said about Japan giving Taiwan to the Republic of CHina.  It was simply a peace treaty between the ROC and Japan.  Also restated that Japan give up control over Taiwan but did not say which nation Taiwan belongs to. 

If you want to prove me wrong, I welcome you go find the Taipei treaty and read it for yourself.  Because I surely have.  And I am tired to be the only one posting real facts here.

If you can't read the characters, the character sets is Big-5 traditional Chinese on standard Internet Explorer browsers.

YanWang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote YanWang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:47

there was no a state named taiwan or found by taiwan's aborinals either in history or today, but taiwan is still a chinese island now. People from taiwan should better not promote those thoughts based on independence to damage interest of whole chinese nationals. According to international conventions, China has its right to reponse to those people in a civil war either peacefully or not. Some taiwan people say the inependence is for taiwan people's interest, but they never think that it endangers the interests of the whole chinese world. so chinese people will do anything to protect taiwan province. 

Edited by YanWang
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:51
"so chinese people will do anything to protect taiwan province. "

Too bad it probably won't protect it's democracy.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 14:52

See Hansioux that is exactly my point. If the taiwanese really want to gain indepence, they have to rewrite their constitution and overthrow the present government.

But of course that will lead to war, and a rewriting of that document will be akin to declaring indepence, and US won't help you.

fastspwan, the only way there will not be a war, is if Taiwan just surrender will its right and the right of Taiwanese people that is granted under Taiwanese consititution to the PRC government and the Chinese communist party.

Doesn't matter what Taiwan decides to do, anything short of this will be an excuse for China to wage a war.  Would people of Taiwan do what the PRC wants us to do?  No, of course not.  I am say almost no one in Taiwan wants that.  Furthermore, as the Chinese leader stated many times, they will not tolerate the current situation (which is that Taiwan remains an independent nation) to be dragged on.  Which means China will always wage war on Taiwan, it's just a matter of time.

To me, I rather do it when they are not ready.  But that's just my opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>