Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Africa in the Zoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africa in the Zoo
    Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 01:21
The Bavarian town of Augsburg is holding a festival of African culture, godd idea you may think, .....in the local Zoo.

Africa in the Zoo

Any comments?
Do you agree with me that this enterprise, at best, is in incredibly bad taste, or as its worst shows a racial and colonial attitude towards Africa and it's people?
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 01:35
The campaigners against this are thinking too much and the one with the problems. If the people doing this dont have a problem then ..so what?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 02:15
Originally posted by Catt

The campaigners against this are thinking too much and the one with the problems. If the people doing this dont have a problem then ..so what?

Part of the problem is that this "Culture Festival" stands in a tradition of "exotic" people being exhibited in German Zoos in the latter part of the 19th and the early part of the 20th century. Even if today's motives are rather different, the organisers should have been aware of that and should have avoided to be part of this tradition.

Poster of an exhibition of Singhalese people in Frankfurt Zoo in 1884

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 12:32
Germany puts her foot in it again.
Due to the better part of humanity's insistance of seperating animals from humans, from spiritual matters, right down to how space is used and shared, hosting an exhibition about humans in a zoo is basicly asking for criticism. Given the historical context, it kind of becomes a no-no.
That said i was under the impression that the actual exhibition is in a conference centre that is on the same site as the zoo, that could make it a bit different if the conference centre is normaly used for such functions.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply