Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If Alexander had faced a unified Indian empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If Alexander had faced a unified Indian empire
    Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 19:17
India side had long bow that create to penetrate wootz steel armor.That mean it can penetrate any personal armor in the ancient world. (Alexander was shot by bow at his lung bypass his armor at siege of Multanese.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallian_Campaign )

Weapon and armor of them made from wootz steel which was strongest metal in ancient world.

Strong elephant and cavalry army.

Large number of troop.Large population pool and strong economic strong industry that make them can reproduce troop very fast. 

Alexander genocide some of India city that increase political support to India government and also make India force had to fight to the death.

Even from Greek source battle in India was more blood bath than in Persia .Alexander injure at Hydaspes river and his horse also die from this battle.He also injure again from siege of Multanese.
He just beat only small state in western India .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlexanderConquestsInIndia.jpg

These states locate at hill terrain that mean their population density was low.Also total  troop from these states was not much.

Chandragupta Maurya  was beat Seleucus .That mean he can beat Greek army with Alexander best men.His Empire even was smaller than Alexander one but they had more population more advance technology and last longer.

With short supply and fertile land .I think Chandragupta could filed 100,000 men in battle. He can combine 30,000 bowmen 30,000 swordmen 9,000 cavalries and 1,000 elephants.This should be his best 100,000 men army so expect that most of them wore wootz steel armor.

Alexander side likely had 41,000 like his army at Hydaspes. Combine with  34,000 infantries 7,000 cavalries 

Chandragupta start with  use longbow to strike Greek infantry .And use swordmen to protect bowmen and use cavalry and elephant to protect their wing. Until Greek phalanx come close then move back and shoot again .They could did that because Phalanx could move very slow because their very heavy weapon.They could destroy Greek army this way.

Even Alexander can win this army by front engagement (which not likely) .They will face querrilla war that Chandragupta were expert at.At the end he would win by attrition war anyway .More population larger economic shorter supply line.
Hachimantaro View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hachimantaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 14:54

Although its quite possible Alexander could've died in India I do not think that they were his hardest opponents.

In my opinion his hardest opponent was a man named Memnon of Rhodes, who he encountered in his early exploits in Persia. He was the commander of the Greek mercenaries under Darius.

Darius sought his council quite often, and Memnon had even defeated an earlier detachment led by Parmenio.

Although Memnon never defeated Alexander personally in a set piece battle, he did conceive of a fabian strategy that would've undoubtedly denied Alexander the resources and opportunites in the early stages of his campaign to gain a foothold.

Memnon also was able to capture the island of Lesbos and was in the process of inciting a huge rebellion in Greeece, behind Alexanders back, one that would've surely forced him back to Greece for punitive reasons, eventually.

Unfortunately for the Persians,  not only did Darius not heed his fabian strategy, but Memnon later died of illness. He was sorely missed by the Persians.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 19:03
What would the consequences have been if this rebellion had succeeded? Would Europe end up under Persian control?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2012 at 12:04
Alexander III of Macedon have suffered the heaviest casualties in India, and after he faced King Porus, he retreated without continuing onwards, ultimately ending the invasion of India, and leaving.

Some would argue that apparently, it's because his men "longed to see their families", but we ought to remember that in India, most of the original native soldiers of Alexander's birth place are dead, and saying that his army (which now composed mostly of mercenaries) longed to see their homeland is actually quite unbelievable.

His army is actually crumbling, and his Macedon approach have been proven to be less then successful, such as the Phalanx formation. He adapted to the situation, and the style of warfare India uses, especially recruiting certain mercenaries, he even traded his own original soldiers (which some claims that his army longed to see their homeland) for certain mercenaries, such as mounted archers.

Alexander have clearly showed that the Macedon approach not only failing in India, but definitely responsible for the destruction of his army (he recruited lots of mercenaries to maintain the shape of his army, otherwise it would be gone). Alexander actually only faced small parts of India, especially the fact that he is only fighting against small tribes, King Porus isn't even the "ultimate" ruler of all of India, and he suffered extreme heavy casualties when faced against him.

Apparently, Alexander was impressed with King Porus, and decided to let him keep his land (he retreated and left India afterwards, why?), but did King Porus showed that he have good tactical skills? No. What's so impressive is the Indian army, then why would Alexander claimed that he is impressed with King Porus?

Lets say that if Alexander have a life span of 80 years, if he continues further into China, Qin just emerged victory from the Warring States, and boast the most powerful army, therefor defeating and conquering all others, reuniting in what it is China.

I seriously doubt Alexander would be able to conquer India.

I agree that Alexander is overrated, anyone who say he isn't, what exactly is his best tactics or strategies? Those cannot be compared to generals such as Hannibal Barca (who claims that Alexander is the "best" general), or the generals of The Three Kingdoms.

oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 14:48
but Chandragupta (or Sandrocottus) who conquered India after the death of Alexander, was highly influenced from Alexander and Greek way of warfare.

Edited by oxydracae - 12-Jul-2012 at 14:48
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 19:07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandragupta_Maurya#Nanda_army

According to wikipedia, Alexander's approach completely failed.

"Chanakya had trained Chandragupta under his guidance and together they planned the destruction of Dhana Nanda."     ?

It seems to me as if influenced by Alexander, but learned from his mistakes if you read the page. I don't know much about this guy.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 06:05
If you want to face a unified India, you need a unified army that consists of Roman, Greek and Celtic forces that number over a million troops!
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 12:21
Against a united India Alexander cannot invade amd win. India cannot invade and win.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 07:31
Originally posted by asicsdong

This is a good post I learn so much from it ,thankyou very much
buy counterfeit sweatshop junk here

Of course it's a good post. You, on the other hand, are a waste of space.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234