Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If Alexander had faced a unified Indian empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If Alexander had faced a unified Indian empire
    Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 05:15

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Now were are moving into assumptions though.
Would it have unified? Would it have not?
The topic mentions a unfied Indian power.

No assumptions at all! We are dealing with facts. In antiquity it was a common practise to exploit internal disputes of your opponents or...create them in case of absense. Macedonians, like others, took advantage of this practise noumerous times.

Sandracotta, the founder of Mauryan empire, in order to defeat Nandas asked for the help of Macedonians.  Internal disputes were never absent even in a unified empire like Mauryan.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 05:27

Originally posted by Sabzevarian

With his armies under his command at his death he probably would have lost. But if he continued training Persians and other people's in the empire into his army then he would have sufficient manpower combined with his talents to win.

I completely agree with you. If you keep in mind that according to royal inscriptions, Only Egypt under Ptolemy B' had an army of 40,000 cavalry, 200,000 infantry and 300 elephants, well-trained under Macedonian standars you can imagine what size of army could Alexander had taken from every quarter of his empire.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 06:17
Out of curiosity, how many people in this thread actually know something about ancient indian militaries? And how many people are just here to advertise Hellenism?

Edited by Anujkhamar
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 06:38
One of the same here. I keep wondering how many actually do know something about Alexander's capabilities and military force and how many are just here to promote Mauryan empire??
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 07:35
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 11:21

Originally posted by Aeolus

I completely agree with you. If you keep in mind that according to royal inscriptions, Only Egypt under Ptolemy B' had an army of 40,000 cavalry, 200,000 infantry and 300 elephants, well-trained under Macedonian standars you can imagine what size of army could Alexander had taken from every quarter of his empire.

Even the coalition army at Ipsus didn't reach such a huge figure (save for in the way of elephants, of which they had 400).  And certainly, the solely Ptolemaic army at Raphia wasn't anywhere near that.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 17:12
Originally posted by Lannes

Even the coalition army at Ipsus didn't reach such a huge figure (save for in the way of elephants, of which they had 400).  And certainly, the solely Ptolemaic army at Raphia wasn't anywhere near that.

I am refering to the year 246 BC, year of death of Ptolemy II Philadelphus. The official Royal Egyptian records of this year, mention the exact numbers i wrote. I checked also my books and i found out that N.G.L Hammond in his "Macedonian state" makes a comparison between the armies of diadochi. Hammond verifies the numbers above, expanding them by 2,000 Scythe-chariots. The fact remains that Ptolemy II had the largest army from all diadochi of Alexander the Great.

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 17:18

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Out of curiosity, how many people in this thread actually know something about ancient indian militaries? And how many people are just here to advertise Hellenism?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king (or something like that)

Somebody actually knows something, but that something is easily applied to another parallel universe yet not to our own

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 19:54

[QUOTE=Lannes] I am refering to the year 246 BC, year of death of Ptolemy II Philadelphus. The official Royal Egyptian records of this year, mention the exact numbers i wrote. I checked also my books and i found out that N.G.L Hammond in his "Macedonian state" makes a comparison between the armies of diadochi. Hammond verifies the numbers above, expanding them by 2,000 Scythe-chariots. The fact remains that Ptolemy II had the largest army from all diadochi of Alexander the Great.

The number isn't at all consistant with any other figures for the era.  I don't see any mention of such a massive army in the Laodicean War (246-241).  And only 29 years after the date you ascribed this army to (Battle of Raphia), the Ptolemaic army was only at 75,000 plus the 73 elephants, which isn't even close to half the number you mentioned.  What seems likely is that these Egyptian records did a bit of exaggerating  .

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:22

The number isn't at all consistant with any other figures for the era.  I don't see any mention of such a massive army in the Laodicean War (246-241).  And only 29 years after the date you ascribed this army to (Battle of Raphia), the Ptolemaic army was only at 75,000 plus the 73 elephants, which isn't even close to half the number you mentioned.  What seems likely is that these Egyptian records did a bit of exaggerating  .

We shouldnt take for granted that the number of troops taking part in a battle is the ultimate proof of the entire size of Ptolemy's army.

The numbers stated before could be explained, if we have in mind that in Ptolemaic Egypt there was in use the system of allotment-holders - machimoi, an equivalent term to cleirouchoi -  in the model of Athens. Each allotment-holder was also a soldier, who could easily help in Ptolemaic Egypt military services when needed on special occasions.

Despite this, Ptolemies before Philopator, had a kind of tradition not to put native soldiers in the field but rather prefer as the great majority of regular soldiers, Macedonians, Thracians, Cretans, Greek mercenaries and a small amount of Asiatic troops due to the wealth of Ptolemy royal house.

We do know also that one of the deeds of Ptolemy II, was to organize expeditions for capturing African elephants in the regions of South Africa, even though the use of African elephants in the battlefield against the Indian elephants of Seleukides proved finally to be a failure.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:26

Indeed, Egyptians only served as auxiliaries in Ptolemaic armies.

When your say "South Africa" you don't actually meant "south", right?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 12:10

We shouldnt take for granted that the number of troops taking part in a battle is the ultimate proof of the entire size of Ptolemy's army.

Generals of the day generally gave invasions all of what they could muster.

The numbers stated before could be explained, if we have in mind that in Ptolemaic Egypt there was in use the system of allotment-holders - machimoi, an equivalent term to cleirouchoi -  in the model of Athens. Each allotment-holder was also a soldier, who could easily help in Ptolemaic Egypt military services when needed on special occasions. 

Despite this, Ptolemies before Philopator, had a kind of tradition not to put native soldiers in the field but rather prefer as the great majority of regular soldiers, Macedonians, Thracians, Cretans, Greek mercenaries and a small amount of Asiatic troops due to the wealth of Ptolemy royal house.

Well, Polybius tells us Raphia (troops numbered 75,000 plus 73 elephants) was in fact the first time the native machimoi had been used in battle.  Though, modern scholars disagree and say Raphia was just the first time they had been armed as phalangites.  Certainly, we know native machimoi had been used for various roles before Raphia.  Ptolemy I Soter is even mentioned as using native troops at Gaza.  At any rate, native troops never became the majority of the army. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is supporting your number. 

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:48

[Well, Polybius tells us Raphia (troops numbered 75,000 plus 73 elephants) was in fact the first time the native machimoi had been used in battle.  Though, modern scholars disagree and say Raphia was just the first time they had been armed as phalangites.  Certainly, we know native machimoi had been used for various roles before Raphia.  Ptolemy I Soter is even mentioned as using native troops at Gaza.  At any rate, native troops never became the majority of the army. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is supporting your number. 

Simply, Machimoi in 5th century according to Herodotus amounted to 410,000. Surely the number wouldnt be as huge in Ptolemaic Egypt but enought to verify the stats of Egyptian records.  

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 14:36

Simply, Machimoi in 5th century according to Herodotus amounted to 410,000. Surely the number wouldnt be as huge in Ptolemaic Egypt but enought to verify the stats of Egyptian records.  

This number is obviously high.  Not even the Nandan dynasty with their massive kingdom in India could field such an army.

Anyway, the native phalanx at Raphia was only 20,000 strong.

Edited by Lannes
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 02:17

[QUOTE=Mythos_Ruler]I don't think Alexander would have even tried. Someone else said it best when they suggested he would have surrounded the empire with vassal/buffer states instead. [/QUOTE

Maybe he would.No one knows exactly if he planed to.If he didn't die might of faught.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 16:59
I don't think so.Greek had good design  phalanx army but India use weapon with  better metal they use wootz steel while Greek use only bronze.For general I give alexander better but not much .Chandragupta Maurya conquer all India bystart with only small state .And he did beat Seleucus the Alexander best men.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 17:03
Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

If Alexander had faced a unified Indian Army , he would most propably follow a different strategy. He was not an idiot , a genius is a rather more suitable word. He would have crushed them one way or another.

and the general's of the indian kingdoms weren't idiots either, what's to stop them changing strategy?

As I said before, in that timeframe 1/4 to 1/5 of all people on this planet lived in India at the time, conquest would have been imposible.

The number of inhabitants in a land are not the problem when someone is trying to invade that land. Powerful military power , high quality weaponary and above all capable generals are far more important. Exacly what the Greeks had , to far higher extend , than the Indians.

Sorry my former post was reply on this topic
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 17:14
Originally posted by strategos

Originally posted by strategos

The Persians also had a huge, but CRAPPY army. Who thought that Alexander would be able to defeat the huge Persian army?

Even Persian numbers don't compare with the manpower of the Indians.  At Gaugamela, we could put the Persians at around 90-100,000, and that's counting the 50,000 reserve levy.  The case is nearly the same at Issos.  And if we were to pull our discussion closer to what the original topic was (a unified Indian Army), the odds wouldn't get any better -  the larger Mauryan army is listed at 600,000 infantry, 30,000 cavalry, and 9,000 elephants.

You really think they could field and feed 600,000 soldiers for a long period of time? This seems unreasonible in ancient times..

I think 600,000 was number of total force in an Empire .Roman empire also had 600,000 in their prime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roman-military-size-plot.png 
But they can't send all that in 1 battle of course .
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 18:03
 If Alexander  was not death and still invade India I he had a slim chance to win. But if he invade in the time India was unite I would say he had no chance.

1st almost of military history was propaganda 2 nation that fight in same battle never write the same history.They write to praise their side. Number of persian troop at Gaugamela  souldn't more than 100,000 but it likely to be 50,000 because in ancient time It hard to feed army that more than 50,000 men 100,000 men was possible but they had to move all the time because they would ate everything in the area .But it depend on some factor. If your supply line was short you could send more troop.And if the land was fertile you could send more .Also if your troop was close to river or sea and you had strong fleet you could send more of them.Persian side had short supply but arid land so the estimate become 50,000-100,000.Also catualty of both side likely to be propaganda.

Alexander had 47,000 at Gaugamela but had only 41,000 at Hydaspes .Even he could reinforce his troop from Greek and from local Persia also India.But his army was smaller.That mean his lost from former battle was more significant than most people think.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 19:07
Even if there was a single empire in India, the troops of each region probably wouldn't want to go outside their boundaries, resulting in a weak, divided army Alexander could easily defeat. I'd be more interested in a face-off between Greece and ancient China whose armies were both numerous and technologically advanced
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>