Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If Alexander had faced a unified Indian empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If Alexander had faced a unified Indian empire
    Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 07:31
Originally posted by asicsdong

This is a good post I learn so much from it ,thankyou very much
buy counterfeit sweatshop junk here

Of course it's a good post. You, on the other hand, are a waste of space.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 12:21
Against a united India Alexander cannot invade amd win. India cannot invade and win.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 06:05
If you want to face a unified India, you need a unified army that consists of Roman, Greek and Celtic forces that number over a million troops!
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 19:07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandragupta_Maurya#Nanda_army

According to wikipedia, Alexander's approach completely failed.

"Chanakya had trained Chandragupta under his guidance and together they planned the destruction of Dhana Nanda."     ?

It seems to me as if influenced by Alexander, but learned from his mistakes if you read the page. I don't know much about this guy.
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 14:48
but Chandragupta (or Sandrocottus) who conquered India after the death of Alexander, was highly influenced from Alexander and Greek way of warfare.

Edited by oxydracae - 12-Jul-2012 at 14:48
AlphaS520 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Suspended

Quote AlphaS520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2012 at 12:04
Alexander III of Macedon have suffered the heaviest casualties in India, and after he faced King Porus, he retreated without continuing onwards, ultimately ending the invasion of India, and leaving.

Some would argue that apparently, it's because his men "longed to see their families", but we ought to remember that in India, most of the original native soldiers of Alexander's birth place are dead, and saying that his army (which now composed mostly of mercenaries) longed to see their homeland is actually quite unbelievable.

His army is actually crumbling, and his Macedon approach have been proven to be less then successful, such as the Phalanx formation. He adapted to the situation, and the style of warfare India uses, especially recruiting certain mercenaries, he even traded his own original soldiers (which some claims that his army longed to see their homeland) for certain mercenaries, such as mounted archers.

Alexander have clearly showed that the Macedon approach not only failing in India, but definitely responsible for the destruction of his army (he recruited lots of mercenaries to maintain the shape of his army, otherwise it would be gone). Alexander actually only faced small parts of India, especially the fact that he is only fighting against small tribes, King Porus isn't even the "ultimate" ruler of all of India, and he suffered extreme heavy casualties when faced against him.

Apparently, Alexander was impressed with King Porus, and decided to let him keep his land (he retreated and left India afterwards, why?), but did King Porus showed that he have good tactical skills? No. What's so impressive is the Indian army, then why would Alexander claimed that he is impressed with King Porus?

Lets say that if Alexander have a life span of 80 years, if he continues further into China, Qin just emerged victory from the Warring States, and boast the most powerful army, therefor defeating and conquering all others, reuniting in what it is China.

I seriously doubt Alexander would be able to conquer India.

I agree that Alexander is overrated, anyone who say he isn't, what exactly is his best tactics or strategies? Those cannot be compared to generals such as Hannibal Barca (who claims that Alexander is the "best" general), or the generals of The Three Kingdoms.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 19:03
What would the consequences have been if this rebellion had succeeded? Would Europe end up under Persian control?
Hachimantaro View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hachimantaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2011 at 14:54

Although its quite possible Alexander could've died in India I do not think that they were his hardest opponents.

In my opinion his hardest opponent was a man named Memnon of Rhodes, who he encountered in his early exploits in Persia. He was the commander of the Greek mercenaries under Darius.

Darius sought his council quite often, and Memnon had even defeated an earlier detachment led by Parmenio.

Although Memnon never defeated Alexander personally in a set piece battle, he did conceive of a fabian strategy that would've undoubtedly denied Alexander the resources and opportunites in the early stages of his campaign to gain a foothold.

Memnon also was able to capture the island of Lesbos and was in the process of inciting a huge rebellion in Greeece, behind Alexanders back, one that would've surely forced him back to Greece for punitive reasons, eventually.

Unfortunately for the Persians,  not only did Darius not heed his fabian strategy, but Memnon later died of illness. He was sorely missed by the Persians.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 19:17
India side had long bow that create to penetrate wootz steel armor.That mean it can penetrate any personal armor in the ancient world. (Alexander was shot by bow at his lung bypass his armor at siege of Multanese.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallian_Campaign )

Weapon and armor of them made from wootz steel which was strongest metal in ancient world.

Strong elephant and cavalry army.

Large number of troop.Large population pool and strong economic strong industry that make them can reproduce troop very fast. 

Alexander genocide some of India city that increase political support to India government and also make India force had to fight to the death.

Even from Greek source battle in India was more blood bath than in Persia .Alexander injure at Hydaspes river and his horse also die from this battle.He also injure again from siege of Multanese.
He just beat only small state in western India .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlexanderConquestsInIndia.jpg

These states locate at hill terrain that mean their population density was low.Also total  troop from these states was not much.

Chandragupta Maurya  was beat Seleucus .That mean he can beat Greek army with Alexander best men.His Empire even was smaller than Alexander one but they had more population more advance technology and last longer.

With short supply and fertile land .I think Chandragupta could filed 100,000 men in battle. He can combine 30,000 bowmen 30,000 swordmen 9,000 cavalries and 1,000 elephants.This should be his best 100,000 men army so expect that most of them wore wootz steel armor.

Alexander side likely had 41,000 like his army at Hydaspes. Combine with  34,000 infantries 7,000 cavalries 

Chandragupta start with  use longbow to strike Greek infantry .And use swordmen to protect bowmen and use cavalry and elephant to protect their wing. Until Greek phalanx come close then move back and shoot again .They could did that because Phalanx could move very slow because their very heavy weapon.They could destroy Greek army this way.

Even Alexander can win this army by front engagement (which not likely) .They will face querrilla war that Chandragupta were expert at.At the end he would win by attrition war anyway .More population larger economic shorter supply line.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 19:07
Even if there was a single empire in India, the troops of each region probably wouldn't want to go outside their boundaries, resulting in a weak, divided army Alexander could easily defeat. I'd be more interested in a face-off between Greece and ancient China whose armies were both numerous and technologically advanced
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 18:03
 If Alexander  was not death and still invade India I he had a slim chance to win. But if he invade in the time India was unite I would say he had no chance.

1st almost of military history was propaganda 2 nation that fight in same battle never write the same history.They write to praise their side. Number of persian troop at Gaugamela  souldn't more than 100,000 but it likely to be 50,000 because in ancient time It hard to feed army that more than 50,000 men 100,000 men was possible but they had to move all the time because they would ate everything in the area .But it depend on some factor. If your supply line was short you could send more troop.And if the land was fertile you could send more .Also if your troop was close to river or sea and you had strong fleet you could send more of them.Persian side had short supply but arid land so the estimate become 50,000-100,000.Also catualty of both side likely to be propaganda.

Alexander had 47,000 at Gaugamela but had only 41,000 at Hydaspes .Even he could reinforce his troop from Greek and from local Persia also India.But his army was smaller.That mean his lost from former battle was more significant than most people think.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 17:14
Originally posted by strategos

Originally posted by Lannes

Originally posted by strategos

The Persians also had a huge, but CRAPPY army. Who thought that Alexander would be able to defeat the huge Persian army?

Even Persian numbers don't compare with the manpower of the Indians.  At Gaugamela, we could put the Persians at around 90-100,000, and that's counting the 50,000 reserve levy.  The case is nearly the same at Issos.  And if we were to pull our discussion closer to what the original topic was (a unified Indian Army), the odds wouldn't get any better -  the larger Mauryan army is listed at 600,000 infantry, 30,000 cavalry, and 9,000 elephants.

You really think they could field and feed 600,000 soldiers for a long period of time? This seems unreasonible in ancient times..

I think 600,000 was number of total force in an Empire .Roman empire also had 600,000 in their prime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roman-military-size-plot.png 
But they can't send all that in 1 battle of course .
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 17:03
Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

If Alexander had faced a unified Indian Army , he would most propably follow a different strategy. He was not an idiot , a genius is a rather more suitable word. He would have crushed them one way or another.

and the general's of the indian kingdoms weren't idiots either, what's to stop them changing strategy?

As I said before, in that timeframe 1/4 to 1/5 of all people on this planet lived in India at the time, conquest would have been imposible.

The number of inhabitants in a land are not the problem when someone is trying to invade that land. Powerful military power , high quality weaponary and above all capable generals are far more important. Exacly what the Greeks had , to far higher extend , than the Indians.

Sorry my former post was reply on this topic
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 16:59
I don't think so.Greek had good design  phalanx army but India use weapon with  better metal they use wootz steel while Greek use only bronze.For general I give alexander better but not much .Chandragupta Maurya conquer all India bystart with only small state .And he did beat Seleucus the Alexander best men.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 02:17

[QUOTE=Mythos_Ruler]I don't think Alexander would have even tried. Someone else said it best when they suggested he would have surrounded the empire with vassal/buffer states instead. [/QUOTE

Maybe he would.No one knows exactly if he planed to.If he didn't die might of faught.

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 14:36

Originally posted by Aeolus

Simply, Machimoi in 5th century according to Herodotus amounted to 410,000. Surely the number wouldnt be as huge in Ptolemaic Egypt but enought to verify the stats of Egyptian records.  

This number is obviously high.  Not even the Nandan dynasty with their massive kingdom in India could field such an army.

Anyway, the native phalanx at Raphia was only 20,000 strong.

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 13:48

[Well, Polybius tells us Raphia (troops numbered 75,000 plus 73 elephants) was in fact the first time the native machimoi had been used in battle.  Though, modern scholars disagree and say Raphia was just the first time they had been armed as phalangites.  Certainly, we know native machimoi had been used for various roles before Raphia.  Ptolemy I Soter is even mentioned as using native troops at Gaza.  At any rate, native troops never became the majority of the army. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is supporting your number. 

Simply, Machimoi in 5th century according to Herodotus amounted to 410,000. Surely the number wouldnt be as huge in Ptolemaic Egypt but enought to verify the stats of Egyptian records.  

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 12:10

Originally posted by Aeolus

We shouldnt take for granted that the number of troops taking part in a battle is the ultimate proof of the entire size of Ptolemy's army.

Generals of the day generally gave invasions all of what they could muster.

The numbers stated before could be explained, if we have in mind that in Ptolemaic Egypt there was in use the system of allotment-holders - machimoi, an equivalent term to cleirouchoi -  in the model of Athens. Each allotment-holder was also a soldier, who could easily help in Ptolemaic Egypt military services when needed on special occasions. 

Despite this, Ptolemies before Philopator, had a kind of tradition not to put native soldiers in the field but rather prefer as the great majority of regular soldiers, Macedonians, Thracians, Cretans, Greek mercenaries and a small amount of Asiatic troops due to the wealth of Ptolemy royal house.

Well, Polybius tells us Raphia (troops numbered 75,000 plus 73 elephants) was in fact the first time the native machimoi had been used in battle.  Though, modern scholars disagree and say Raphia was just the first time they had been armed as phalangites.  Certainly, we know native machimoi had been used for various roles before Raphia.  Ptolemy I Soter is even mentioned as using native troops at Gaza.  At any rate, native troops never became the majority of the army. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is supporting your number. 

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:26

Indeed, Egyptians only served as auxiliaries in Ptolemaic armies.

When your say "South Africa" you don't actually meant "south", right?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 11:22

The number isn't at all consistant with any other figures for the era.  I don't see any mention of such a massive army in the Laodicean War (246-241).  And only 29 years after the date you ascribed this army to (Battle of Raphia), the Ptolemaic army was only at 75,000 plus the 73 elephants, which isn't even close to half the number you mentioned.  What seems likely is that these Egyptian records did a bit of exaggerating  .

We shouldnt take for granted that the number of troops taking part in a battle is the ultimate proof of the entire size of Ptolemy's army.

The numbers stated before could be explained, if we have in mind that in Ptolemaic Egypt there was in use the system of allotment-holders - machimoi, an equivalent term to cleirouchoi -  in the model of Athens. Each allotment-holder was also a soldier, who could easily help in Ptolemaic Egypt military services when needed on special occasions.

Despite this, Ptolemies before Philopator, had a kind of tradition not to put native soldiers in the field but rather prefer as the great majority of regular soldiers, Macedonians, Thracians, Cretans, Greek mercenaries and a small amount of Asiatic troops due to the wealth of Ptolemy royal house.

We do know also that one of the deeds of Ptolemy II, was to organize expeditions for capturing African elephants in the regions of South Africa, even though the use of African elephants in the battlefield against the Indian elephants of Seleukides proved finally to be a failure.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>