Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Christianity destroy ancient science?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CedricEmrys View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CedricEmrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Christianity destroy ancient science?
    Posted: 12-Feb-2018 at 09:02
These are not my opinions, they are historical facts^
Buaidh no bàs
CedricEmrys View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CedricEmrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2018 at 09:01
1. Christianity is not a science it is a mono-theistic religion branched off of the traditions from Judaism, in fact, a lot of the metaphors in Christianity are connected to ancient Hebrew traditions and rites in many interesting ways. 
2. I think it did destroy ancient science because a lot of that science was a mixture of factual science and what they call witchcraft, sorcery, or magic. Such as the Egyptians, whose medicinal practices were a mixture of tried and tested plant medicine and ritual magic. 
Buaidh no bàs
QuillAndInkHistory View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote QuillAndInkHistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2017 at 19:35
Hi Teenwolf!

Thx for the comment. I respect your point of view though I don´t share it.

If you wan´t to learn more about the subject I recommend you pick up the litterature I reference in the description. I would specially recommend David Lindbergs "Beginnings of Western science". It´s arguably one of the best university textbooks on the history of science in it´s religious and philosophical context in the ancient and medieval ages.

Best wishes!

Quill & Ink history.

Edited by QuillAndInkHistory - 04-Feb-2017 at 19:47
"As a historian, all I wan´t to do is get the story straight given the evidence we have.

- Ronald Numbers.
Teenwolf View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Teenwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2017 at 04:58
Hi! really interesting video. From my point of view I mostly agree with what is said by historians. I think that Christianity was not specially against ancient science, it was more a personal battle by some Christian leaders as it was for other leaders of that time. In an age specially raw and cruel, only the ones that could impose to others would survive, and sometimes science could give arguments to question the importance of individuals or institutions in their actual society.
So I would say the problem did not have to do specially with religion but with power and the way to keep it using in this case Christianism as an instrument to do it.

Of course, it is just my point of view.
QuillAndInkHistory View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote QuillAndInkHistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2017 at 16:31
Hi! Ive upploaded a video on my youtube channel debunking the claim that christianity destroyed or held back the achievements of the ancient natural philosophers.

I would really appreciate if you viewed the video and gave your own opinions and thoughts on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6XixUJUe8

Edited by QuillAndInkHistory - 29-Jan-2017 at 16:34
"As a historian, all I wan´t to do is get the story straight given the evidence we have.

- Ronald Numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply