Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crusader Pilgrims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Druzhina View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Druzhina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crusader Pilgrims
    Posted: 09-Sep-2016 at 01:24
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2016 at 22:44
You might check out the Medieval collection and the Brundage collection of the Phila. Museum of Art.
Also, the collection of "the Residence", Bamberg Germany. The Pope's digs during the Holy Roman Empire.

The PMA has some surprising things.

St. Michaels, also in Bamberg, might have something related. I've been through all 3, but it's been 12+ years.

Edited by red clay - 16-Sep-2016 at 22:56
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2016 at 23:04
Good sites...of course the more well publicized were the Templars...but in point of fact...it was the Hospitallers who were originally the more aptly described as 'crusader'...this in their 'original mandate' to care for the sick, eldrly, etc.. in Jersulaem. And the surrounding environs.

Otoh, the definition of 'crusader' given the contextual era; didn't exactly id anymore than the intent of the Pope. And not that of the Order of Saint John initially.

see: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/pope-urban-ii-orders-first-crusade

http://historymedren.about.com/od/hospitallers/p/hospitallers.htm
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Druzhina View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Druzhina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2016 at 02:37
Thanks.

Crusader meant someone who had "taken the cross", well before there were any military orders.  The crusader pilgrims of the early crusades were often armed with no more than a staff.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2016 at 18:01
Don't teach an 'ole dog' history...ever. when u thought... I had already been. now show me the hospitallers. then u again earn my accolasdes.

because u sumtimes feregt that this aint your personal blog site. which is to say offer me more than pics and links...because as much I love yer werk, it aint shitt if u cant defend it with commentary.
u remember that and others will remember u. period.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2016 at 22:58
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Don't teach an 'ole dog' history...ever. when u thought... I had already been. now show me the hospitallers. then u again earn my accolasdes.

because u sumtimes feregt that this aint your personal blog site. which is to say offer me more than pics and links...because as much I love yer werk, it aint shitt if u cant defend it with commentary.
u remember that and others will remember u. period.

Where I would have said it a little differently Wink I agree. Both the Ole Dog and I have knowledge of, are interested in the Medieval Period.  You can't fully understand modern Europe and the middle East without a reasonable knowledge of the MP.  Some aspects are more interesting than others.

I Like most of your posts. But you might go beyond that and come up with more like this. 
Look at the noise just this kicked up.  give us some things to stir our interest. You might be surprised at  what we know.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Druzhina View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Druzhina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2016 at 02:08
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

How closed minded does someone have to be to think they can't be taught anything?

I will put together a post on early hospitaller iconography.  I would still like iconography for crusader pilgrims.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2016 at 21:26
How closed minded does someone have to be to think they can't be taught anything?

You can't teach anyone anything if they don't learn in the manner you teach.
With CV, you have to show him he's wrong, or inaccurate. Which he is more often than he will admit to.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply