Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Empire expands overseas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Empire expands overseas
    Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 14:51
Let's presume the Byzantine Empire developed economically and technologically at the same speed as other " comparable" colonial powers that expanded relatively early in history, like Spain and Portugal, but were not at the heart of the industrial revolution in Central Europe in the mid 19th century.

The question how long the Byzantine Colonial Empire would have lasted, depends on the size and nature of its colonies, and on how deeply Byzantine culture and religion would have disseminated into indigenous societies.

I presumed in my scenario that the Byzantines initially would have opened trading posts in India or the Indonesian archipelago , and Australia ,which with time would developed into larger territories.
In both countries indigenous rebellions didn't succeed until the 1940s and 50s, so it might have been a srtuggle for dominance between European powers.

In India, as long the Byzantine Empire wouldn't have overstretched itself by attempting to colonise the entire sub-continent but concentrated itself on coastal regions and Ceylon, I think there would have been a good chance to hold on for along time, withstanding any British attempts to take over, and/or ruling India alongside the Brits.
To hold on to Indonesia would have easier, as other colonial powers would have had to manage enormous logistic difficulties to organise a take over.
Australia would have been a different story, and here due to the vastness of the country a competing power might established itself alongside the Byzantines, and Australia might have become divided.

Eventually the indigenous people of the Byzantine colonies, even if the Byzantine rule would have been a benevolent one, would have demanded independence, and the Empire would have dwindeld after a number of colonial wars, but survived in some outposts, on minor islands or in some continental strongholds.

On the whole, there is reason to argue that the history of the Byzantine Colonial Empire might have been similar to that of other southern European powers, losing it's prize possessions in the 18th and 19th century, but holding out well into the 20th century in others minor ones.

In other words, I really don't know, and this is all just unfounded speculation.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 19:20
The colonial rebellions only succeeded because the European powers had been signifcantly weakened by age or by the World Wars. Are we assuming that the Byzantine Empire will be taking a side in the World Wars? Would the World Wars even occur as Serbia would be in in the Byzantine Empire.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 00:49

Originally posted by Belisarius

The colonial rebellions only succeeded because the European powers had been signifcantly weakened by age or by the World Wars. Are we assuming that the Byzantine Empire will be taking a side in the World Wars? Would the World Wars even occur as Serbia would be in in the Byzantine Empire.

Hmm.  If the Byzantines were in control of provinces such as Serbia and Hungary going into the time period that would have been the Balkan Wars and then World War I, maybe radical political groups such as the Black Hand would have been suppressed.  There would be no archduke Franz Ferdinand and the Byzantine emperor would be the ruler.  Perhaps the Orthodox church would bring some ethnic and political solidarity to the region.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Now that the Byzantines have a revitalized economy and are not bankrupt, what would a 16th-17th century Byzantine army look like in terms of uniforms and weapons?  I wonder if they would keep any elements from their classical past, or would they adopt the pikeman and arquebusier format of the rest of Western Europe?  That would be interesting if the cataphract or clibanophorus would still be used, only now armored with steel plate instead of heavy chain and lamellar armor.

I don't want to change the present course of this discussion.  However, going back to my previous post above, does anyone have any ideas of what a 16th-17th century Byzantine infantryman and cavalier might look like and how he would be equipped?

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 09:46

A scholar, whose name frustratingly escapes me at the moment, once said that the Byzantines were a mixture of a Roman body, a Greek mind, and a mystical eastern soul. Keeping in that tradition, I believe that a 16th - 17th century infantryman and cavalier might have looked quite different than the western uniforms. A soldier might be equiped with the latest in gunpowder weaponry, but their clothing might reflect Persian, Turk, or Arabic styles. As the Byzantines focused much on their heavy cavalry, a change to the light cavalry popular at this time might be difficult. However, their weaponry and clothing might be similar to the infantryman with western weaponry and eastern-style uniform.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 23:23

A scholar, whose name frustratingly escapes me at the moment, once said that the Byzantines were a mixture of a Roman body, a Greek mind, and a mystical eastern soul.

Interesting.  With the "mystical eastern soul" part, he must have been talking about the influence of Hesychasm on Orthodoxy during the late period.  Then again, there was always a mystical element to Byzantine Christianity, witness the cell monks in the Egyptian desert.

Keeping in that tradition, I believe that a 16th - 17th century infantryman and cavalier might have looked quite different than the western uniforms. A soldier might be equiped with the latest in gunpowder weaponry, but their clothing might reflect Persian, Turk, or Arabic styles. As the Byzantines focused much on their heavy cavalry, a change to the light cavalry popular at this time might be difficult. However, their weaponry and clothing might be similar to the infantryman with western weaponry and eastern-style uniform.

It would be interesting to see a Byzantine infantryman equipped with an arquebus or musket!  I wonder if they would have kept the lamellar armor, small round shield, and other equipment that you see in late Byzantine iconography depicting military saints.  I agree with you about the cavalry.  I think they would have stuck with the heavy cataphract or clibanophoros, maybe with even heavier plate armor.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 01:25

Byzantine Australia......... now there's a thought. Had Byzantium decided to try and colonise Australia they would again have had been in a good position to snap up the land. Had Byzantium possessed Sinai and constructed their own Suez Canal they would certainly have stolen a march on the European powers. I suspect their attempts at colonisation would follow very similar lines to that of the British. The local population of the country were incapable of fighting off technologically advanced and organised enemies so there would be no question of Byzantine success in simply conquering the land. Also like the British I suspect the Byzantines would not be especially interested in integrating the local peoples into their society. Like the British they would be more interested in importing a Hellenic population to settle, farm and create cities. In the vast open spaces and away from the traditionally beleaguered Byzantine heartlands I think such a population would also develop a more liberal and open minded view to contrast with the austere line of thinking practiced in the "mother country". Their ability to control the entire continent would be purely dependent on their naval strength. Any population brought here to settle needed, in its early stages, very strong resupply and protection by a powerful navy. No other nation would even think of settling a population in Australia unless they were confident their navy was strong enough to supply and defend a fledgling community surviving in a land with no previous foundations of civilization to build on. This is the reason Britain managed to so effectively bring the entire land mass under its control.

Just imagine the state of Victoria under Byzantine settlement. Rich in minerals, farmland, fishing grounds. Melbourne with its brilliant natural harbour and positioning. And then the Hellenic settlers would discover gold and the rush here would be immense. Perhaps in the rich lands instead of Victorian architecture the vast amounts of gold would fund churches even more magnificent than the Hagia Sophia.

Edited by Constantine XI
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 01:33
Constantine, may i ask is you yourself are a australian Greek? You seem to be very interested into Byzantines, but I myself always had alot of "what if" questions concerning the Byzantines.
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:56

No mate, I am Anglo-German. Apparently there is some Russian. I am told I am a synthesis of these three, which is quite a mixture of vices and virtues haha. I don't have any Hellenic blood so far as I know going back 8 generations, but I live in Melbourne which has the largest Greek population for any city in the world except Athens. The Byzantines have simply fascinated me for years, and thankfully when I began researching them my ever scrutinizing mind was left unsatisfied by the simplistic historical views formed by the traditional historians.

Byzantium is a badly misunderstood and underappreciated area of history which deserves so much more attention. So if you have a heap of "what ifs", well get the ball rolling because my last exam is in four days and I would like nothing better than to get into this sort of thing. That goes for anyone, Byzantium is something to be passionate about and is still in need of pioneers, so keep up the good work.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 20:16

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Also like the British I suspect the Byzantines would not be especially interested in integrating the local peoples into their society. Like the British they would be more interested in importing a Hellenic population to settle, farm and create cities.

Quite true.  Mass population transferal was a specific policy of the Byzantine government, albeit mainly in the early and middle periods.  The Byzantine government made it a point to homogenize the these transferred populations in terms of religion.  Bogomils, monophysites, and other religious heretics gave the Byzantines some trouble when they were transferred to Anatolia in the late 10th and early 11th centuries.  It took a while, but they were eventually converted to Orthodoxy as illustrated in the small corpus of documentation and hagiography of the period.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 23:42
Originally posted by esadbodur

byzantines would be more kind to natives then other europeans becouse of their advanced cultural civilization. they have more intellectuals or poets then europe becouse of their greek mix. also they are almost an eastern country and have mediteranian warmness.

byzantine gain lots of things from grek or eastern architecture to self-architecture so probably they would build something mix of oldbyzantine-greek-east with gothic and native architecture

The question of how the Byzantines would treat the natives is very interesting.  Examining the ways in which they interacted with the Egyptians, the Slavs, and the Russians might might give us some perspective.  As I have already stated, the Byzantines had a great deal of difficulty in integrating the Egyptians into Orthodox Byzantine society.  Egypt was, in 5th and 6th centuries, and after to a lesser extent, a hotbed of heretical Christian sects.  Although they remained mainly religious in nature, the leaders of these sects often brought a political element into the mix by resisting the authority of the emperor (and the imperial church, incidentally).

With the example of the Russians and the Slavs, however, I should point out that these peoples were more receptive of Orthodox Christianity.  In fact, they had previously been pagans, and in the case of the Russians, actually requested missionaries from the Orthodox Church in Constantinople.  Their king, Vladimir, accepted the Orthodox creed and became a pious individual with a changed lifestyle as a result.  The Slavs were converted by the famous Cyril and Methodius, who constructed the Glagolothic alphabet for their language and for their liturgy.  It should also be noted that these peoples, although they belonged to the Greek Orthodox Church of Constantinople, were permitted to conduct the liturgy in their own languages.

So, in looking at how the native Americans might react to Byzantine missionary activity and Byzantine cultural exposure, we can use the above examples.  Unlike the medieval Western Roman church, the Orthodox church did not resort to violent coercion as an official policy.  If Byzantine missonaries approach the natives in this way, and show themselves to be different than the bellicose Spanish conquistadores, they might be able to succeed in bringing the Mayans or the Aztecs into the Orthodox fold.  The only difficulty might be in the development of Monophysite heresies (believing that Christ has only a divine nature) in the Indian church.  The Egyptians held onto the idea of a ruler being a divine being ever since pharaonic times.  This mdae it easier for them to accept only the divine nature of Christ.  Being that the Aztecs and Mayans viewed their Emperors in much the same way, they might in turn develop a similar heresy.  The Byzantine missionaries would have to reinforce the Orthodox diophysite view (Christ had a human and a divine nature, indestinguishable from each other) in the Indians' case.

Imagine what an Aztec or Mayan Orthodox church might look and sound like!  Their unique architecture combined with Byzantine Greek styles in a church building would be amazing to behold!  Also, it would be interesting to see a mixed Byzantine and indian icon-painting tradition. 

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 23:26
I suppose in the case of overseas Empires the Byzantines could always restrict the flow of colonists, only allowing those who profess Orthodox beliefs. If the Byzantines were to expand into Australia I would say they would have an easy time of supplanting the simple, nature derived spirituality of the natives with their much more sophisticated creed. Perhaps in the case of India Christianity may find a sympathetic ear from Indians who are disenchanted with Mughal rulers.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 00:26

I suppose in the case of overseas Empires the Byzantines could always restrict the flow of colonists, only allowing those who profess Orthodox beliefs.

Good point.  Since mass population transfer has always been a signature policy of the Byzantine Empire, I wonder from where they would move people to populate the new colonies?  All would be Orthodox like you pointed out, but which ethnic groups?  Sending Greeks from in and around Constantinople, especially if they are able administrators from the government, might be good to have at the top overseeing the building and planning.  For security reasons the Empire would probably get rid of the Turkish mercenaries it had in the army; it would be especially important to not send Turks to the Indian colony because they would seem too Moghul-like.  Maybe the Byzantines would return to using the stout and rugged Isaurians and Armenians (Hellenized and Orthodox, of course) to make up the army. 

An interesting question is what kind of administrative system would be used to organize the colonies.  Would it be the vicarate and dioceses of Diocletian, the themes of Heraclius / Constans II, the pronoiar system of the Comneni and Palaeologi, the appenage organization of the Palaeologi, or some new system?  

Perhaps in the case of India Christianity may find a sympathetic ear from Indians who are disenchanted with Mughal rulers.

If the government of Constantinople came to terms with and accepted the mystical practices of Hesychasm, maybe evangelizing using Hesychast Orthodoxy would appeal to the Hindu and Buddhist Indians.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 03:28
I couldn't see them using Armenians, IIRC they were monophysite weren't they? I could see them relying more heavily on Paphlagonian and Opsikian troops, close to home and typically staunchly Orthodox.

Interesting point about hesychasm, the more mystical religious practices in the Empire probably would take firmer root in places like India.

I could see the early Byzantine expeditions into America closely mirroring those of the Spanish, a capable patriarch conquering and setting up shop on a piece of land, creating a hacienda in which his land was worked by servants while he took care of military duties. Closer to home in a place like the middle east or India a thematic system does not sound implausible.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 13:11

I couldn't see them using Armenians, IIRC they were monophysite weren't they?

Yes, you are correct.  I was saying that if they were going to use Armenians, the Byzantines would have to make sure that they were first brought back into the Orthodox fold, if not Hellenized.  In the early and middle period because of military neccessity the Armenians were drafted into the army wholesale without particular attention being paid to their heretical beliefs.

I could see the early Byzantine expeditions into America closely mirroring those of the Spanish, a capable patriarch conquering and setting up shop on a piece of land, creating a hacienda in which his land was worked by servants while he took care of military duties.

Would this come as a result of living in close contact with the Spanish in the New World, that the Byzantines would see that the Spanish way of administration worked well and therefore would adopt it as their own? 

I wonder, in planning the administration of the colony shortly after it was established, if they would decide on one of the Byzantine methods based on historical precedent?

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 18:09

Regarding colonisation of America, I simply think that setting up shop on a conquered piece of land worked by relatives and native slaves seems logical in the early days. Once the conquest has been consolidated the imperial government and the clergy would then make their presence felt, monastaries being set up to spread Orthodoxy into the wilderness and city churches opening and committing themselves to the social welfare they so often performed at home.

This makes me wonder though, do you think the conquests would have been instigated on the initiative of the Byzantine government or by and individual (as was Cortez's case)? Something about the bureaucratic nature of Byzantium tells me it would be a government backed expedition.

Edited by Constantine XI
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 22:11

This makes me wonder though, do you think the conquests would have been instigated on the initiative of the Byzantine government or by and individual (as was Cortez's case)? Something about the bureaucratic nature of Byzantium tells me it would be a government backed expedition.

Good question.  I think the decision to make new conquests would originate with the emperor.  The Byzantine emperor's preoccupation (theoretically) was supposed to be extending the Christian Roman Empire over all the known world - this is the concept of oikumene.  At this point, around 1500, the Spanish had already discovered the New World, so it would be included in the "known world."

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 20:01
I think you restrict this alternate history too much by your scenario. I think it would have been better off if you began in 1204. In this, the pretender (under Venitian influence) doesn't garner the support of another crusades. Thus, Byzantium is allowed to recoup from the Turkish onslaught. Western Anatolia and Pontus are Greek possessions. Then, and only then, does Byzantium survive.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:08

Originally posted by Herschel

I think you restrict this alternate history too much by your scenario. I think it would have been better off if you began in 1204. In this, the pretender (under Venitian influence) doesn't garner the support of another crusades. Thus, Byzantium is allowed to recoup from the Turkish onslaught. Western Anatolia and Pontus are Greek possessions. Then, and only then, does Byzantium survive.

Thanks, but I tried to resolve this issue in my original post and in subsequent posts when others raised similar complaints.  Namely, I was not really interested in the means through which Byzantium would survive.  We all know the possibilities and can endlessly speculate on the results.  Rather, I was more interested in what would happen if the Byzantines were able to establish a colony in the New World.  Please see my posts in the first page to see what I am refering to.  But, by all means, join in on the discussion as put forward in my original post!   Constantine XI has caught on to my train of thought and has contributed to the discussion on this page.

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:34
I'm sorry, heh. I actually didn't bother reading the other posts because, well, I guess I was on a one track mind and was all ready to put up a fight regarding your first post.

But hey, I'm just glad there are other fans of Byzantine history on the net. God only knows there's so few around the world today.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 02:54
Hey, Welcome!

Originally posted by Herschel

....But hey, I'm just glad there are other fans of Byzantine history on the net. God only knows there's so few around the world today.

That's is what we are here for - to change that!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>