Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Times given an unfair reputation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
historyandteaaddict View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote historyandteaaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Times given an unfair reputation?
    Posted: 07-May-2016 at 18:03
Does anyone else feel that the Middle Ages are given an unfair reputation nowadays? I certainly do!
"Veni, Vidi, Vici," - Julius Caesar
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2016 at 17:20
I think that the idea of so called "Dark Ages" was abandoned long time ago. Nowadays most of historians doesnt consider it a bad time anymore.

For example - beautiful papal palace in Avignion:

Edited by Mosquito - 08-May-2016 at 17:23
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
historyandteaaddict View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote historyandteaaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2016 at 16:26
Originally posted by Mosquito

I think that the idea of so called "Dark Ages" was abandoned long time ago. Nowadays most of historians doesnt consider it a bad time anymore.

For example - beautiful papal palace in Avignion:

While I definitely agree that a lot of scholars have changed their view, there's still that view of the, "Dark Ages," perpetuated in popular culture today...
"Veni, Vidi, Vici," - Julius Caesar
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2016 at 18:28
Originally posted by historyandteaaddict

While I definitely agree that a lot of scholars have changed their view, there's still that view of the, "Dark Ages," perpetuated in popular culture today...

I would say that once some european countries adopted christianity, they were not dark anymore. Together with new religion was coming the skill of writing, monasteries which were some kinds of cultural centres, civilisation and finaly even universities. For sure it was different on the post-roman territories and in the new european countries which have joined latin Europe: Scandinavian kingdoms, Poland, Bohemia and Hungary.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2016 at 19:40
Originally posted by Mosquito

Originally posted by historyandteaaddict

I would say that once some european countries adopted christianity, they were not dark anymore. Together with new religion was coming the skill of writing, monasteries which were some kinds of cultural centres, civilisation and finaly even universities. For sure it was different on the post-roman territories and in the new european countries which have joined latin Europe: Scandinavian kingdoms, Poland, Bohemia and Hungary.

Actually, Mosquito, originally the term dark ages denoted a period between the tenth and eleventh century, so well after counties becoming christian. Later the term dark ages would mean from the fall of the Roman empire up until the end of the middle ages until reduced again to meaning the time period between the fall of the Roman empire in the fifth century until the tenth century.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply