Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Support the Return of the Parthenon Marbles

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support the Return of the Parthenon Marbles
    Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 14:19
I would ask you "just what was Greece during the time of Elgin, and the other looters of the past?" Was it a real nation? Was it a composit nation of Greek readers and speakers?

I will let you be the judge?

I really have to say it, but let's just suppose that Lord Elgin and others of like desire, had not taken these "masterpieces" and left them in the hands of the "locals?" Would they be around today?

I would suggest that; "Mostly they would not be around today!" Or they would have been sold on the "black market" and ended up in mostly the same places!

I am not judging people but "poor people" and/or rich people who would have had access to these "priceless" ornaments! Gather, what you can for those who are willing to pay exorbatant prices for stuff that fills your living room!

Seeing the history of Greece from the time of the Frankish, Italian, Papal and English domination of the area, I would suggest that most of them would have been stolen or destroyed during the intervening years!

So! Can the "revolutionary" Greece of today, be considered to be a "safe place" for these so called "treasures?"

regards,

Edited by opuslola - 13-Apr-2010 at 14:33
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Joined: 02-May-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 555
  Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 14:49
The EU can form a comittee and Britain wont pay any attention. 
Back to Top
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Avatar
Suspended

Joined: 23-Mar-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 357
  Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2010 at 11:58
Well, let's try it out first, then see what happens. Ya never know.
 
If Britain still can't help feelin that it's bigger than the EU, then maybe it should start rethinkin its position in the EU ...


Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 14-May-2010 at 12:27
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Back to Top
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Joined: 02-May-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 555
  Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2010 at 13:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXH3-A8zMI



Rather explains it all.



As though Britain cares what the EU thinks.





Edited by DreamWeaver - 14-May-2010 at 13:54
Back to Top
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2010 at 18:32
And, as each of you watch Greece fall further into a possible civil war, you still want England to return these priceless items back to a nation that might well soon fall into ruin?

So, go ahead! Then see if you can find them in 20 years?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar

Joined: 05-Sep-2006
Location: Moreas
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 473
  Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2010 at 06:58
Originally posted by opuslola

And, as each of you watch Greece fall further into a possible civil war, you still want England to return these priceless items back to a nation that might well soon fall into ruin?

So, go ahead! Then see if you can find them in 20 years?

Regards,

Smile

Civil war between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos fans are the most possible opponents...lol


Following your logic, better here than in the no 1 (or 2...) country-target of the world's Jihadists...Wink



Edited by Patrinos - 15-May-2010 at 07:02
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Back to Top
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Joined: 02-May-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 555
  Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2010 at 10:20
I think it rather unlikely for there to be a civil war in greece any time soon.



Back to Top
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar

Joined: 05-Sep-2006
Location: Moreas
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 473
  Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2010 at 13:26
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

I think it rather unlikely for there to be a civil war in greece any time soon.




Are you guys seriously talk about civil war in Greece?Big smile

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Back to Top
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2010 at 14:11
Well it seems the "money" experts, expect Greece to be right back in default, within a short time, even with the influx of monies! Meanwhile, back in the tourist world, just how much does Greece make from tourist spending each year? I wonder just what part of its GDP depends upon tourism? Seeing the clashes in Athens, etc., does not bode well for further tourism in Greece? Especially if it continues, and spreads to other areas!

When the airplanes, cruise ships, ferries, etc., stop being full of tourists and vacationers, what happen? The very fragile egg shell of Greecian income, is already broken, and it seems the unions, and communitsts, and others, are ready for a long struggle against the standing government!

I love Greece,and I have travelled there numerous times, but I see no end to the conflicts, until a total collapse!

Sorry, that is just my opinion and I hope that I am wrong?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Avatar
Master of Meanings

Joined: 06-Nov-2010
Location: /
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14617
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2010 at 11:17
GREECE still live in Justinian Dynasty period...They still beleve they are center of world in the Geocentric
model from Ptolemaic wiew of whole universe.And there are not now ,no byzantine population ,they expeled all during the last few civil wars...Who will be next?LYCHANTROPES?(WEREWOLFS)?
Back to Top
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2010 at 17:21
Medenaywe, I have always considered that the modern word "Bizarre" is derived from the word "Byzantine/Bizantine?"

How about you?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2010 at 21:40
I would also suggest that you read this?

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/greece-elections-2010/19706512

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Avatar
Master of Meanings

Joined: 06-Nov-2010
Location: /
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14617
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 03:04
But this is not the first one....The situation was the same on the begining of 19/20 century...They have no economy ...They have uniq betting system...Accept  tickets payment, but after that do not pay bonuses.



Edited by medenaywe - 08-Nov-2010 at 03:50
Back to Top
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
Avatar

Joined: 08-Nov-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
  Quote Deathless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 09:07
Originally posted by opuslola

Medenaywe, I have always considered that the modern word "Bizarre" is derived from the word "Byzantine/Bizantine?"

How about you?

Regards,


Get a dictionary..

Originally posted by opuslola

I would also suggest that you read this?

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/greece-elections-2010/19706512

Regards,


... you might as well look up the word "Politics" as well after you are done with "Bizarre"
Back to Top
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 16:12
Dear "deathless!", how kind you are for your fourth or less post! You also probably need to read an old book entitled "How to win friends and influence people?" It is also obvious that you are very rude and crude,and must be about age 25 or so!

You might also notice that my posts above were not directed to someone as graceless and immature as you seem to be!

So GTFOOH!

My best regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
Retired AE Moderator

Joined: 15-Feb-2005
Location: ArizonaUSA
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3959
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 16:31
Originally posted by opuslola

I would ask you "just what was Greece during the time of Elgin, and the other looters of the past?" Was it a real nation? Was it a composit nation of Greek readers and speakers?

I will let you be the judge?

I really have to say it, but let's just suppose that Lord Elgin and others of like desire, had not taken these "masterpieces" and left them in the hands of the "locals?" Would they be around today?

I would suggest that; "Mostly they would not be around today!" Or they would have been sold on the "black market" and ended up in mostly the same places!

I am not judging people but "poor people" and/or rich people who would have had access to these "priceless" ornaments! Gather, what you can for those who are willing to pay exorbatant prices for stuff that fills your living room!

Seeing the history of Greece from the time of the Frankish, Italian, Papal and English domination of the area, I would suggest that most of them would have been stolen or destroyed during the intervening years!

So! Can the "revolutionary" Greece of today, be considered to be a "safe place" for these so called "treasures?"

regards,


opus Greece was recovering from almost 500 years of occupation by the Ottoman Turks so what do you expect. I am glad Lord Elgin removed them to England but Greece has built a special museum for them so now it is time to return them to the land of their origins. I believe it would be the civilized thing for Britain to do and morally correct. Greece has not ask for the God know how many Greek, Roman and Byzantine artifacts the English have taken. Although, in my opinion the Byzantine artifacts are not part of English history and should be returned, not all of them. They should retain some for their museums.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Back to Top
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
Avatar

Joined: 08-Nov-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
  Quote Deathless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 16:59
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear "deathless!", how kind you are for your fourth or less post! You also probably need to read an old book entitled "How to win friends and influence people?" It is also obvious that you are very rude and crude,and must be about age 25 or so!

You might also notice that my posts above were not directed to someone as graceless and immature as you seem to be!

So GTFOOH!

My best regards,


Between making friends and being historical accurate, I chose the second while you fail at both.
Plus getting a dictionary is a good advice regarding your case so we can proceed on the next level and teach you about politics.

Cause you comment on subjects you can't mentally comprehend but please don't get all upset.
Demolishing your previous posts is a child's play but I will try to make it easy for you:
When I pay England a visit I want to learn about their history/culture and not see some Greek artifacts in their museums.
Those artifacts don't belong to England neither to Greece, they belong to the world. Their existance is a proof that humans can do better, that some people long time ago achieved great things and the rest of the world should aim to achieve something better. They should be nowhere else than their birthplace.


Got it or should I paint it for you?

My best regards Embarrassed my good friend, hugs and kissies ?
Back to Top
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
suspended

Joined: 23-Sep-2009
Location: Long Beach, MS,
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4621
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 17:20
Why don't you get out your oils and paint me a picture? As I logically mentioned, the current political situation in Greece does not paint a very solid picture of Greece being able to provide a secure place for any of its treasures!

Do you not have any knowledge of what happened in France during its revolutions? Tens of thousands of historical sites were destroyed, for ever!

Do these mostly stolen artifacts actually deserve to be returned to Greece? Of course! But do not the rest of us deserve to assume that the Greek Politik is actually able to protect them?

My best regards my good friend, hugs and kissies ?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Back to Top
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
Avatar

Joined: 08-Nov-2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
  Quote Deathless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 17:38
Originally posted by opuslola

Why don't you get out your oils and paint me a picture? As I logically mentioned, the current political situation in Greece does not paint a very solid picture of Greece being able to provide a secure place for any of its treasures!

Do you not have any knowledge of what happened in France during its revolutions? Tens of thousands of historical sites were destroyed, for ever!

Do these mostly stolen artifacts actually deserve to be returned to Greece? Of course! But do not the rest of us deserve to assume that the Greek Politik is actually able to protect them?

My best regards my good friend, hugs and kissies ?


Wait I will call one of my arab friends, they got plenty of oil to waste on the painting.
OMG you are totally right, Greece is exactly like France... Hey atleast liberation is near, Viva la Grecia?

Once again you are right, once you steal an artifact it's up to you to decide if they deserve to get it back or not, how could I miss it.

Your logic is like democracy... practically not existing

Hey papa I just made a friend Tongue



Back to Top
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Avatar
Retired AE Moderator

Joined: 15-Feb-2005
Location: ArizonaUSA
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3959
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 18:05
Originally posted by Deathless


Originally posted by opuslola

Dear "deathless!", how kind you are for your fourth or less post! You also probably need to read an old book entitled "How to win friends and influence people?" It is also obvious that you are very rude and crude,and must be about age 25 or so!

You might also notice that my posts above were not directed to someone as graceless and immature as you seem to be!

So GTFOOH!

My best regards,
Between making friends and being historical accurate, I chose the second while you fail at both.Plus getting a dictionary is a good advice regarding your case so we can proceed on the next level and teach you about politics.Cause you comment on subjects you can't mentally comprehend but please don't get all upset.Demolishing your previous posts is a child's play but I will try to make it easy for you:When I pay England a visit I want to learn about their history/culture and not see some Greek artifacts in their museums.Those artifacts don't belong to England neither to Greece, they belong to the world. Their existance is a proof that humans can do better, that some people long time ago achieved great things and the rest of the world should aim to achieve something better. They should be nowhere else than their birthplace.Got it or should I paint it for you? My best regards Embarrassed my good friend, hugs and kissies ?


Now be nice-
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a [Free Express Edition]
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.219 seconds.