Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where would you settle to start a civiliz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which major river valley would you choose to start your civilization?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [10.87%]
7 [15.22%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
2 [4.35%]
6 [13.04%]
2 [4.35%]
21 [45.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where would you settle to start a civiliz
    Posted: 25-May-2005 at 02:48

Lets suppose that you were an alien group with the same physical and mental attributes as humans.  And lets suppose that all of the major human civilizations have yet to develop.  You are to pass through a time-space portal that would place you in one of the major river valleys of Earth to restart a civilization.  As a rule, your advanced technology will be lost and you must start over.

Which major river valley would you choose to start your civilization?

If I were to choose I would pick between the Nile, Yangtze, or Ganges

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 03:17
I'll take Gascony and Languedoc, my homelands .

We have the Garonne and Adour rivers for trading, access to both the Mediteranean sea and the Atlantic Ocean.

The land is rich in the plains for agriculture, the climate is good. Water is present in good quantities and the proximity of the mountains are enough to keep a reservoir.
The area is perfect to grow wine, raise pork, olives and many stuff often of high quality. Leather clothes and art also always were very present here. Colors like pastel made the fortune of the cities that made it.

Mountains also form a natural barrier and make invasions from the Iberian peninsula harder. This factor is underrated I think, it protected the area against the muslim empire that never conquered us, not that it didn't try. The biggest danger was, and it was confirmed by history, the other French who took over the area.
Vae victis!
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 04:50
Another poll poirot? Had to de-CAP your thread title. It was hurting my ears.

Definately the Mississippi Valley, one of the greatest places on earth. It is so green.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 04:52
Polls are so entertaining!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 06:05
Mesopotamia, the previous civilization that started there proved to be the most powerful. Though the Mexican civilizations were cooler, so what about Mexopotamia?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 08:30

I choose the nile river. Its so full of life, and i like the animals in that part of the earth.

I'd just steal the irrigation techniques used by the egyptians and start off there

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 12:33
I'd prefer western Anatolia or Greece.After all its not very warm or very cold.Agriculturally olives,grapes,figs and other temperate fruits are produced while the green pastures of Inner Anatolia and Thrace are ideal for sheep.The tauros mountains provide natural defence against invasions from the east and the south.The mountains are rich in copper and Iron.Lastly the natural ports of Agean are perfect for trade.
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 16:09
Originally posted by poirot

Lets suppose that you were an alien group with the same physical and mental attributes as humans. 

That's a little loose - it would depend somewhat on which human race you most resembled.

I voted for the Mississippi valley but would have liked to be more precise and say the southern end of it. It's got the right kind of temperature for me, and as you spread north and outwards the land stays fertile for a long way, unlike, say, the Nile.

aimfire View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote aimfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 16:53
Dnepier or the river Don....  Where the horse rider is king.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 22:04

Originally posted by Gazi

I'd prefer western Anatolia or Greece.After all its not very warm or very cold.Agriculturally olives,grapes,figs and other temperate fruits are produced while the green pastures of Inner Anatolia and Thrace are ideal for sheep.The tauros mountains provide natural defence against invasions from the east and the south.The mountains are rich in copper and Iron.Lastly the natural ports of Agean are perfect for trade.

Mostly what the ancient hellens thought too! I'd pick also around that region, and start at city at Constantinople as well, good city between West and East. Who needs a River anyways.

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 22:37
no river valleys, they breed weak farmers and tyrany.  I would pick the steppes to have a strong mobile and free society and if I ever wanted the goods of a "civilized" society I could take it through force and adapt myself like the Mughals or Turks.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 22:43
Its better to have the creative peoples of the Medditerranian, who needed to get up and move about because they did not have the best lands themselves.. this breeds creativity, unlike the slave farmers of Egypt of Mesopotamia..
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 23:37
Mars!!!

Before Mars was destroyed our ancestors took off in the flying coffee cups and colonized Earth! According to a coast to coast am guest

and the moon is made out of cheese!!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 00:20

The Byzantine lands under Basil II, tho perhaps ditching the lands in south Italy and northern Syria. Abundant natural resources, excellant natural defences, key control over trading routes. Constantinople, being every military engineer's dream and so perfectly positioned, would have to be the capital.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 13:14
Transoxania, or Iberia...
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 08:04
Tibet, the land of Indian Gods.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 14:07
The Yangtze basin is impressive, a regular river, with greats and fertiles plains, sorrounder by forests and mineral resources, a huge net of waterways, not cold and not excesivelly hot, variety of landscapes...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 14:26

The Amazon delta would be a nice place to star a civilization once again.

However, looking to the future, the place is space. In the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. There are so much resources there that, it has been calculated, a TRILLION people could live in that place. Inside spacial cities with artificial gravity, of course Big smile. Believe me or not, some people has already done the calculations and draw the blueprints.

Pinguin

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 17:59
The amazon delta is excesivelly swampy, in South Amrica i prefer the river complex of the Paran-Plata Wink
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 18:32
Havai, Cuba, or some place like that Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>