Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nagant VS Bears in Russian history really?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KimChanWon View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KimChanWon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nagant VS Bears in Russian history really?
    Posted: 20-Nov-2015 at 15:38
I read some article that in tsarian Russian some bears were killed by m1895 nagant revolve. Is it possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXSDbZ92JM - part #2 - Nagant VS Bears really?

Is it true that bear killed by the m1895 nagant revolver?

Edited by KimChanWon - 20-Nov-2015 at 15:42
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2015 at 17:58
If it was they were extremely lucky as a number of factors would have to be considered.

a. ammunition type.
b. physical location of the shot/s on the bear.
c. number of shots fired (out of 7) and hits gained.
d. physical environment of the engagement.
e. overall maturity and size of the bear.

just to name a few.

A standard 7.62 essentially a .30 caliber round, even with a good muzzle velocity... and Nagant was medium afaic...is a dicey shot given it's effective range and drop rate.

I would have opted for a .40 cal or bigger revolver...if I'd have been crazy enuff to shoot at a bear with a pistol.

Which I am not.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 20:08
Any decent shot using a mid/late C19th onwards regular military issue pistol should have no problem with a bear.

Mythbusters did an episode where they tested various types of historical body armour, & none stood a chance against a wild-west era C19th Colt .45.. & neither would a bear - if head/chest shot - a 1/2 doz times.. 
Be Modest In Thyself..
J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 02:24
The old M-N revolver may well hold the dubious distinction of having been the weapon used for the most
killings of helpless prisoners ever - by the Communist Bloc 'security' forces from the 1920s onwards..
Be Modest In Thyself..
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 16:40
thanks for the reminder of the qualifier of marksmanship. I didn't mention it...because I'm a better than average...but others might not be...so for me it was obvious.

In summation, I have lived in bear country on and off most of my life...big cats as well. Best option for the average or poor participant in an encounter... for self defense...is a 12 gauge multi shot shotgun.

Hunting? If using a pistol...a .40 cal or better tho a .357 will do, depending on ammunition type.

Rifles? take your pick but .375 and higher... is preferred.

there's an old saying in the mountain and canyon country....and I'll para...'only a fuking ijit trys fuking with a bear using a pistol'.

S. T. Friedman

J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 17:04
I met a remarkable woman who'd lived in Alaska,
& I was amazed when she showed me the partial scalping & tooth furrow marks left in her skull
by a bear that attacked her when she was operating a ride-on mower.

She said she always carried a .357 on her outdoors - after that.

No bear, or cat - is gonna shrug off a well placed 30-06, or equivalent either, such as fired from a from any decent surplus mil-spec rifle..

As for daring do, that M-N pistol was of course a natural for "Russian Roulette" too..
They are a strange 'gas seal' type of revolver..

& there are stories of Spanish nobility hunting bears with their rapiers, back in ol' California..

I guess the likes of Davy Crockett had to be a real dead-eye with a one-shot breech loader,
& only a Bowie knife for back-up, before the advent of the cap 'n' ball Colt revolver..

Be Modest In Thyself..
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 18:38
Originally posted by J.A.W.

I met a remarkable woman who'd lived in Alaska,
& I was amazed when she showed me the partial scalping & tooth furrow marks left in her skull
by a bear that attacked her when she was operating a ride-on mower.
She said she always carried a .357 on her outdoors - after that.
No bear, or cat - is gonna shrug off a well placed 30-06, or equivalent either, such as fired from a from any decent surplus mil-spec rifle..
As for daring do, that M-N pistol was of course a natural for "Russian Roulette" too..
They are a strange 'gas seal' type of revolver..
& there are stories of Spanish nobility hunting bears with their rapiers, back in ol' California..
I guess the likes of Davy Crockett had to be a real dead-eye with a one-shot breech loader,
& only a Bowie knife for back-up, before the advent of the cap 'n' ball Colt revolver..

Most woodsmen, explorers, trappers and mountain men of the era were either well known as excellent or at least better than average marksmen..given the era of their notoriety.

Matter of survival on the frontier. ie. small rural communities, farms, living with or fighting natives (often both)...supplementing their food sources. Although in many cases there were those who learned 'on the job' rapidly.

And in the hands of a good shot a .36cal thru .54cal; could be....as we used to say an ''ass kicker-heart breaker-life taker''. presuming no fouling, wet powder, bad primer; misfire in general.

The Hawkins was particularly favored.

She was one lucky lady btw. And more importantly...I'm satisfied she knows that.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 28-Nov-2015 at 18:41

S. T. Friedman

J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2015 at 02:00
Yep C.V., from dealing to bears, or Comanches, & to going commando behind enemy lines in the civil war,
the firepower a revolver allowed, gave the horseman a real ability to project force in a newly  meaningful way, no doubt..

& AFAIR, having read a few stories.. the "Griswold" - comes to mind as a CSA/rebel pistol of choice..

Likewise, the woman I referred to above would likely consider herself 'unlucky' - not to
have been packing heat when she could've used it, having been previously been talked out of it - to her detriment..

Edited by J.A.W. - 01-Dec-2015 at 02:08
Be Modest In Thyself..
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2015 at 15:42
That and the Army and or Navy Colts; the Remingtons, etc... when they could get them. Force multiplier? Yep. As were the Sharps series.

Tho in fairness, there were many innovations first seen in that conflict and not merely among weapons.

A fine little link here for your perusal.

http://www.civilwarhandgun.com/

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply