Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Q: Guerrilla War or Terrorism?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q: Guerrilla War or Terrorism?
    Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 23:49

A guerilla is a glorified terrorist, and a terrorist is a degraded terrorist that is all. There are many that are half-way in between:

For example, Moscow Theatre Hostage takers: They want independence and freedom for Chechenya, they did not kill civillians en-mass when they could have (when Russians stormed the building), but they did kill innocents within the theatre, and mistreated some of hostages.

The thing that makes Al-Qaeda dangerous is their ideology, not their "terrorist" nature.

maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:00

recent examples:

al queda=terroists, dont care who they kill, they want to establish a worldwide caliphate.

zapatistas=geurillas, fighting for their own autonomy against a government that has oppressed them for decades if not centuries.

"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 17:56

Well, anybody can claim to be "stabilizing" any situation. Bin Laden could cliam that he was trying to "stabilize" the balance of power. Nazis can claim to "stabilize" the Jews.

What they claim counts for nothing.

All revolutionary and resistance groups fighting against oppression were fighting against "stability" that was imposed upon them by tyranny.

Maciek View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Maciek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 01:50
Originally posted by demon

Guerilla:  Doesn't damage innocents.  If they do, it was pure accident.

Terrorists: Damage innocents deliberately.  No accident, but planned.

I like this definition.

I like this definition in general - some base to start discuss details (if needed).  I like to say only about US soldiers exemple as terrorists - it depends on what You believe: 1 are they in Iraq for killing innocente people and so on or 2 only to stabilise the situation (even if they are doing it with very bad methods).

If the answer is 2 - they cannot be name terrorists and people who fighting them are.

In Poland holocaust was a terrible nightmare - thats true and none should ever forget it.

Edited by Maciek
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 17:05

Maybe you are right Evildoer. 

But arn't leaders considered soldiers, because Geneva convention did not include leaders in the civilian section?

Grrr..
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 16:14
Originally posted by demon

Here is my point of view:

Guerilla- target of important figues, army, systems only

Terrorism- innocent involved.

Osama bin laden- terrorist(he didn't have to kill those innocent blacks in Africa)

Iraqi insurgent-

Those who cut heads- Terrorists and Cowards.  Allah is very displeased with their cowardice

Those who fight american soldiers- I would have to say guerillas because their cause is not bad

The so called "attack on important figures, military and systems" always result in civillian casualties. By the way, leaders are civillians too.

By the way, the real Spanish Guerrillas who were the first to be called so used attrocious tactics against Spaniards who sided with Napoleonic forces. There is no real difference between Guerilla and Terrorist... It is same with the terms "invasion" and "liberation".

Note that regular soldiers killed more civillians than did "terrorists". Does that mean that the term soldier becomes the eqivelent of "rapist, torturer, murderer etc."?

Condemning of "cutting heads" is most stupid. It may look bloody, but isn't it better than torture, or burning people with Napalm? Hostage taking was always a part of guerilla, terrorist and even regular warfare.

Note that both Richard and Saladin took prisioners, and I  don't know about Saladin but Richard did behead those that were not ransomed.

The thing that is bad about Bin Laden is not that he is a "terrorist/guerilla" but because he kills civillians and seeks to impose the fascist Islamic fundementalism in nations of Middle East.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 20:04

Can we please not make this a thread about Bush.  This is one of the few places I come when I want to talk history and not politics.

As for attacking civilians, I don't think it's wrong, just usually ineffective.

Member of IAEA
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 10:33
Lol, why does that seem so true? I'm positive the only reason Bush himself didn't nuke Saddam would be because the UN would have a fielday with that, and he'd be out of Britian for an ally.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 20:07
Originally posted by TMPikachu

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

A majority of these posts make great sense. So would you call America's attack on Japan in WWII a terrorist attack or military action? They solely targeted civilians, just as terrorists...and they did it because they were under attack from that country, just as the terrorists are under attack from America. The difference is, terrorists dont kill 50,000 civilians at a time like America did, their attacks are more frequent and much smaller in scale. So what differentiates the two? I would like to hear your thoughts.

And a lot of Iraqi civilians have died in this war, more than most people think, whether unintentionally or deliberately....they wont show it on CNN. Watch Al-Jazeera, i see it on at my grandmas house sometimes, and it gives you a completely different side of the war.

hmmm, but in the case of Japan/USA, the war had already officially began.

funny you mention CNN. Some people call it the Communist News Network for being 'too liberal'

People that watch Fox, mostly.

Youre right, the Japan/USA situation was a war, but nontheless, those bombs were meant to hit civilians and cripple their society more than anything. At least Japan bombed a military harbor. Maybe thats why people dont strike at U.S. military bases anymore, the U.S. will just nuke their civilians .

And btw, the U.S. waged war on Iraq, and many of these people see it as a war on Islam. Rightfully so, let the U.S. help the Iraqi people help themselves, dont get militarily involved. How would you feel if the U.S. or any other country occupied your homeland just to "help out your people"? I know id be pretty ticked off.

Most people dont understand that a lot of those people that wanted Saddam out, would rather ally with him just to drive the U.S. and coalition forces out of their country. Thats why theres still fighting going on...most of the militants fighting belong to the sect of Islam that Saddam was NOT part of, and they make up the vast majority of the population in Iraq. But, they are fighting against U.S. forces because they would rather fix their own problem rather than be embarassed and exploited while the rest of the world watches.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:36
No no no. There was a German Sniper who wound up killing some 40 or so Russian Commanders, over 100 snipers (Some sources say 500, but Russia didn't employ many more than 5,000, counting 2,000 women, did they?), and a "group of armed citizens". Meh.
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 19:36
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

A majority of these posts make great sense. So would you call America's attack on Japan in WWII a terrorist attack or military action? They solely targeted civilians, just as terrorists...and they did it because they were under attack from that country, just as the terrorists are under attack from America. The difference is, terrorists dont kill 50,000 civilians at a time like America did, their attacks are more frequent and much smaller in scale. So what differentiates the two? I would like to hear your thoughts.

And a lot of Iraqi civilians have died in this war, more than most people think, whether unintentionally or deliberately....they wont show it on CNN. Watch Al-Jazeera, i see it on at my grandmas house sometimes, and it gives you a completely different side of the war.

hmmm, but in the case of Japan/USA, the war had already officially began.

funny you mention CNN. Some people call it the Communist News Network for being 'too liberal'

People that watch Fox, mostly.

Edited by TMPikachu
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 17:35
Not saying that the Japanese were right or wrong. Im talking about America. Japanese civilians didnt target medics. And medics are part of the army...but anyway, back to the question of America bombing Japan.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:52

Hmmm.  The Japanese snipers used to target medics during WWII.  Would that be terrorism?

Grrr..
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:58

Originally posted by Genghis

Yeah, what if a state bombs a civilian city like the air forces of World War II did?  Does that make them terrorists?

Bah. It all got started by some rogue Luftwaffe pilots who missed their target, and the British got pissed off. Of course, what they don't tell you is that the later, a Luftwaffe pilot flew right over a Hospital, knowing exactly what it was by the long red towels marking a cross on the ground next to it.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:41

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 15:12
I wish to bring other factors for the definition of guerrilla and terrorism.

It seems that guerrillas have a geographical component to them. They "control" a certain region.

Guerrillas also seem to try to stay together as a unit for the length of the conflict. This includes trying to keep the number of deaths and causalties to the minimum.

And guerrillas engage in military combat, although they tend to choose those where they have some type of advantage.

Terrorist organizations seem to be able to attack anywhere they please; they are not restricted to a specific zone.

Terrorist do not stay together as a unit; they tend to have loose organizations.

And terrorists avoid military combat. They tend to strike at one target, and the terrorist either flees or dies.
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 06:12
Well, I'm more inclined to agree with fastspawn in that there's a big grey area standing between the two extremes of idealistic guerrilla warfare and plain sick terrorist warfare. In fact, most of the spectrum of low-intensity military action (or, in U.S. military parlance, MOOTW (Military Operations Other Than War)) falls within this grey area. Say, we take an example of a Palestinian suicide bomber. If he directs his attack specifically at an Israeli military installation or the notorious boundary wall then his action is a legitimate military action and he can be called a guerrilla. If he directs his attack at the Israeli civilian population, though, his act would be termed terrorism because it causes largely unnecessary damage that is unlikely to spark the effect it is meant to create, not to mention that it violates every principle of Islam and any other religion. However, we must ask ourselves whether the definition would be legitimate or not if, say, the guerrilla attack caused a number of collateral civilian casualties or the terrorist attack was planned to be a military attack but the bomber got distracted along the way (much to the chagrin of his superiors!) and chose in desperation to attack a civilian taget. That kind of thing happens more often than most people think.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 00:39

Guerillas are an unconventional force that uses hit and run tactics against a conventional force.

Terrorists are a force that attacks civilian targets to cause fear in the civilian population.

But a guerilla can be a terrorist and a terrorist can be a guerilla depending on the circumstances since a guerilla can cause fear in the civilian population and a terrorist can attack conventional forces with hit and run tactics.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 14:56
Yeah, what if a state bombs a civilian city like the air forces of World War II did?  Does that make them terrorists?
Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 08:41
but war in general does damage civilian populations, and many guerrilla movements have.  I think the difference as strategic, as Genghis said.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>