Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do clothes make the man?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do clothes make the man?
    Posted: 27-Jun-2015 at 17:49
CV, by chance the John Wayne 'Nam classic, 'Green Berets' was on TV,
& it featured the curious 'Tiger Stripes' combat camo outfit, which
was quite a contrast with the basic green.

Was this ever an 'official' US forces camo pattern, or just a 'movie' thing?

Curiously, the Israeli defence forces seem to have always stuck with the plain un-patterned look..
Be Modest In Thyself..
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2015 at 20:19
Originally posted by J.A.W.

CV, by chance the John Wayne 'Nam classic, 'Green Berets' was on TV,
& it featured the curious 'Tiger Stripes' combat camo outfit, which
was quite a contrast with the basic green.

Was this ever an 'official' US forces camo pattern, or just a 'movie' thing?

Curiously, the Israeli defence forces seem to have always stuck with the plain un-patterned look..

Yes and no. No they were never an official US issue item. Yes they were authorized for use by USMAAG personnel (US insignia) attached to ARVN units. Predominately SF advisors wore them. Tho eventually they were used by LRRPS and SEALS and Snipers as well.

They are probably a derivative of an earlier French pattern used in the 50's.... during their colonial periods and conflicts; and were in use by ARVN Marines and Ranger units.

US forces were authorized 'local requisition' from SV producers. These were replaced in country with the ERDL uniform; itself a precursor to BDU.

Iirc, Aussies and Kiwis SF used them as well. But don't quote me.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2015 at 02:50
Thanks again CV..

& as it happens, I have the tattered remnant of a ex-'Nam service 'Frog Skin' USMC `40s-50s  'jungle fatigue' pattern tunic that was issued to certain Kiwi operatives - for covert/stealthy creeping about in the jungle.. 

I've  held on to it for ~40 years - since it was given to me as a kid,  by a relative in the services who knew I was keen on such stuff...

These 'unofficial' items were issued as wartime-only/in theatre use, as was explained to me at the time, -  so it corroborates your input well too, CV..

Oddly enough, I have seen that same old-school  USMC 'Frog Skin' pattern worn by Red Chinese PLA troops over the years too, & instantly recognised it..
Be Modest In Thyself..
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2015 at 04:23
I had a book on all this stuff but I think it's in storage..and to get it I'd have to go down to Central Texas. But here's a fairly apt link.

It covers your 'frog skin' remnant as well.

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=USA (copy and post to your browser).

As for local procurement for useage and or testing...it's been a mainstay for decades...years ago in the HTLD test bed period, viz the 9th Infantry division circa 83-89...hundreds if not thousands of local 'off shelf' products were purchased. For testing and possible adoption in the Army's various TOE's'TDA's.

I remember we even tested off the shelf 'Wolverine' brand heavy sports boots; until the Army adopted the new version of the black boot which then gave way to the a whole host of various replacements.

Hats... until we returned to the BDU and now ACU 'patrol style' were also in a constant flux...and I'm not even going to start on the Beret
fiasco.

HTLD= High technology Light Division.

TOE= Table of Organization and Equipment.

TDA= Table of Distribution and Allowance.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2015 at 17:15
Cheers, CV..

That's a good camo site, & I see the 'John Wayne' T-S is specifically noted there too..
Be Modest In Thyself..
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2015 at 20:29
A doublet was a snug-fitting jacket that was shaped and fitted to the man's body which was worn in Western Europe from the late Middle Ages up to the mid-17th century.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2015 at 20:30
An ascot tie is a narrow neckband with wide pointed wings, traditionally made of pale grey patterned silk.   
In the 1880s, among the upper-middle-class in Europe men began to wear a more loosely tied version for formal events with daytime full dress in frock coats or with morning coats.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2015 at 20:34
During the Elizabethan time period, the era of Queen Elizabeth I of England, one's clothes and fashion defined one's social status.      
It was common for a man of the upper class to wear a fine silk hat with a feather inside.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2015 at 20:35
The classic black bow tie as part of "black tie" attire dates back to 1886, when the tuxedo was invented by Pierre Lorillard V.       
Previously, the fashion was to wear tailcoats with white bow ties.
Trice View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2019 at 02:50
i think a person's style does say a lot about him, yes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12