Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edward I: The Castle Builder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edward I: The Castle Builder
    Posted: 07-May-2015 at 21:20
King Edward I of England began having defensive castles constructed around Snowdonia in Wales in 1278.      
These castles were based on the latest principles of military architecture.    
After Wales had been conquered, Edward had a second batch of castles built.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2015 at 01:43
Yes... but can you name without google... his primary architect and general bio?
The actual significance of the improvements I'll leave for another day.

Amen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2015 at 19:55
The castle and walled town of Conway in North Wales were built by King Edward I in just five years from 1283 to 1288.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2015 at 12:54
Yup. But you never answered my question.

S. T. Friedman

Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2015 at 20:19
The architect was Master James of Saint George.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2015 at 20:38
Indeed.

And for those so inclined..further might be read about this remarkable builder here:

http://www.castlewales.com/jsgeorge.html

'Roth' in his 93 work does a credible job. See 'Understanding Architecture' et.al.

Amen.

S. T. Friedman

Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 20:02
Caernarfon Castle was begun in 1283 at the orders of Edward I, to be one of a chain of castles to subdue and control the Welsh.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2015 at 20:05
Harlech Castle, begun in the summer of 1283 during King Edward I's second military campaign in North Wales, was built at a cost of 9,500 pounds over the seven years to December 1290.    
At one point, in 1286, Master James had an army of 950 laborers.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2015 at 20:03
Rhuddlan Castle was erected by Edward I in 1277 following the First Welsh War. Rhuddlan was not completed until 1282.    
Princess Elizabeth, the daughter of Edward I was born at Rhuddlan in 1282.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 20:25
Conway Castle was constructed on the site of an earlier Welsh monastery, founded by Welsh prince Llewelyn Fawr.      
Conway Castle was one of King Edward I's most expensive projects. It originally had a coat of whitewash.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2015 at 20:34
Caernarfon Castle was, according to local legend, the birthplace of Constantine, the first Roman emperor to adopt Christianity.      
The castle's polygonal towers topped by eagles, together with its bands of different colored masonry, were designed in imitation of the walls of Constantinople, Constantine's capital.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2015 at 20:44
Flint Castle located in Flint, Flintshire, was the first of a series of castles built during King Edward I's campaign to conquer Wales.     
The site was chosen for its strategic position in North East Wales.      
The castle was only one day's march from Chester. Supplies could be brought along the River Dee and there was by a ford across to England that could be used at low tide.     
Building work of Flint Castle began in 1277 under Richard L'Engenour.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2015 at 20:39
Two of King Edward's father, Henry III's more important castles, Dyserth and Deganwy, were not repaired.            
Instead, they were replaced respectively by Rhuddlan and Conwy.     
Flint, in effect, took the place of Hawarden and Mold.
 Post Reply Post Reply